PDA

View Full Version : If Jake is our QB do we go to Play-Offs??

thunderkyss
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Consider the Chiefs got in at 9-7.

Consider our running defense is better than Seattle's, New Orleans', NYJets, Philladelphia's & the Colts.

Consider that we will at least split the division series against the Colts, the Jags, & the Titans......

Consider we have two probowl WideRecievers, & a tightend that was having a really good season before David put the blinders on.

If we sign Jake the Snake, are we closer to the playoffs than we are now??

HJam72
02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Most likely, but the question is how much better will we be. Under Kubiak, it is possible, but no guarantee, that Plummer could be one of the better QBs in the league again. That's a huge difference from what we've been getting from Carr.

I think getting Plummer, with a good draft as well, means 9-7 next year MINIMUM.

Mr. White
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Most likely, but the question is how much better will we be. Under Kubiak, it is possible, but no guarantee, that Plummer could be one of the better QBs in the league again. That's a huge difference from what we've been getting from Carr.

I think getting Plummer, with a good draft as well, means 9-7 next year MINIMUM.

I'll take it one step further. In this day and age of parity, there's no reason why we shouldn't contend for the playoffs next year. (Notice that I didn't say anything about making the playoffs.)

Having said that, 8-8 is usually a playoff contender's record.

Scooter
02-06-2007, 08:53 PM
yes. while jake wont save the program, he's a bandaid at the position while carr's a crater. jake knows the system better than carr, has had more success, wont enter the season shell-shocked, and if he came here would prove to have kubiak's full confidence (thus removing any restraints on the playbook). also, while rod smith is an absolute stud, jake has had more scoring success (our biggest weakness) with much less receiving talent than the texans ... we have andre, moulds, and daniels while jake only had smith.

kubiak would work to tweak plummer's game during training camp, as opposed to continuing the rebuilding project he's working on with carr. he also provides extremely valuable veteran guidance to whoever we choose as his successor.

edit: yes, we're closer to the playoffs than with carr. neither one makes us an automatic.

Ole Miss Texan
02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I dont think we're going to make the leap and win our division...or make the wild card next year. I would love for us to but i'm not getting my hopes up. Whether we have a better record next season than we did this past one...I think we will be a much improved team and be getting better.

I do think we would be a better team with Plummer at the realm than Carr. I don't think either is our long term solution and see if either of them are our starting qb's or on our roster...they will only be for one or two years. I don't see them as our long term answer but i think we would be better with plummer.

NEROtheZERO
02-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Who we cut, sign, and draft has a much greater impact on how well we do than whether Sage, Carr, Pummer, or any other mediocre QB start for us.

Arky
02-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Plummer's coming here? :shades:

old football fan
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Even if we do get Plummer, which I doubt, we have to many other areas that need to be addressed. No playoffs 207, but in 2008 we will kick butt.

keyfro
02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
here's what i think about jake the snake plummer...he's an older version of david carr...not better...just older...he makes more mistakes than david...which is why it blows my mind why texan fans want to see him in a texans uni next season...despite what you think of carr this guy is not the answer...i'd rather have sage as our starter than jake the mistake plummer...some of his ints are just mind blowing...not sure what he's looking at sometimes...i mean come on...jake plummer...this guy if we do get him isn't going to last one full season

Scooter
02-06-2007, 10:58 PM
here's what i think about jake the snake plummer...he's an older version of david carr...not better...just older...he makes more mistakes than david...which is why it blows my mind why texan fans want to see him in a texans uni next season...despite what you think of carr this guy is not the answer...i'd rather have sage as our starter than jake the mistake plummer...some of his ints are just mind blowing...not sure what he's looking at sometimes...i mean come on...jake plummer...this guy if we do get him isn't going to last one full season

no he doesnt, he makes the same mistakes ... fumbles, poor decisions, eyeballing receivers etc. look at both sides though, while he has many of carr's problems, carr doesnt have any of plummer's strengths. carr cant or wont find receivers downfield, and carr freezes up in the redzone. carr isnt as smart about moving and the word "pocket" is a concept carr doesnt understand (for obvious reasons). plummer's able to put points on the board (our biggest drawback) and has much more ability escaping the pass rush. jake knows the scheme and kubiak, he can digest the entire playbook. plummer's not THE answer, but his strengths outweigh his weaknesses ... something carr might never be able to say. plummer is an upgrade, and as i understand it we'd just about break even by cutting carr & signing plummer so money isnt a big concern.

TK you're a little misleading with the title ... will jake put us in the playoffs, and will jake get us closer than carr are two different questions.

bluestars87
02-06-2007, 11:00 PM
In my opinion I think you guys would be better off without him. Even though he has a good record as a starter and took Arizona to the playoffs, he still makes a lot of mistakes. Perhaps you guys should draft a quarterback instead.

Texian
02-06-2007, 11:09 PM
If Denver can't see Jake the Mistake holding the Lombardi Trophy why would the Texans?

dbspi
02-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I have no in the poll but I do think we will have winning season next year (9-7) with Plummer and hopefully AD but I am not sure if we be playoff team. Simply put we have too many holes to fill and not enough money to work with right now.

The Pencil Neck
02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
In my opinion I think you guys would be better off without him. Even though he has a good record as a starter and took Arizona to the playoffs, he still makes a lot of mistakes. Perhaps you guys should draft a quarterback instead.

"Instead"? I think the plan is to draft a QB and try to bring Plummer in for a couple of years while the kid is groomed and prepared to take over.

I don't know how many of our games you've watched but while Plummer makes a lot of mistakes, at least he's trying to get the ball down the field. David has been hit so many times that it's in his head. He's afraid to throw interceptions so he rarely goes down the field. He has very bad ball security when he tries to move around the pocket.

Personally I think Plummer is an improvement over Carr but Plummer is a heartbreaker. I don't see Plummer as an older version of Carr, I see him as an older version of Grossman. He'll make some big plays and then turn around and make some big plays for the other team. I lived in Phoenix for awhile and I was rooting for Plummer when he first came into the league. Plummer will take you right up to the door of where you want to go and then he'll make a really bad decision that rips your heart out. The difference being that Carr doesn't usually even get close to the door. :)

I don't particularly want Plummer here but if he's the best we can get and we can make it work cap-wise and Kubiak/Smith think it's a good idea, I'll see it as a baby step forward.

bluestars87
02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
"Instead"? I think the plan is to draft a QB and try to bring Plummer in for a couple of years while the kid is groomed and prepared to take over.

I don't know how many of our games you've watched but while Plummer makes a lot of mistakes, at least he's trying to get the ball down the field. David has been hit so many times that it's in his head. He's afraid to throw interceptions so he rarely goes down the field. He has very bad ball security when he tries to move around the pocket.

Personally I think Plummer is an improvement over Carr but Plummer is a heartbreaker. I don't see Plummer as an older version of Carr, I see him as an older version of Grossman. He'll make some big plays and then turn around and make some big plays for the other team. I lived in Phoenix for awhile and I was rooting for Plummer when he first came into the league. Plummer will take you right up to the door of where you want to go and then he'll make a really bad decision that rips your heart out. The difference being that Carr doesn't usually even get close to the door. :)

I don't particularly want Plummer here but if he's the best we can get and we can make it work cap-wise and Kubiak/Smith think it's a good idea, I'll see it as a baby step forward.

Well I guess he's an upgrade, but barely. I just remember this year when Cutler got hurt against us, and Plummer came in for a few plays and his first pass was an interception by Walt Harris. But he has had success in his career and been to the playoffs several times, so who knows.

shinerbock_girl
02-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Even if we do get Plummer, which I doubt, we have to many other areas that need to be addressed. No playoffs 207, but in 2008 we will kick butt.

Like our fantastic O-line we have right now....

jerek
02-07-2007, 09:23 AM
I loathe the possibility that we do get rid of Carr, bring in Jake or some other dubious castoff, have a productive offseason in the FA and draft, continue to gel and improve under Kubiak's continued vigilance, improve our record significantly ... and I get to read another 9,000+ threads next year about how getting rid of David Carr made all the difference. Let alone if he actually goes somewhere else and is successful.

Blu
02-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Shoot ..I'll keep it real and pray for .500 (8-8).
But the way the football landscape can change from yr to yr, I don't think it's out of the question. :shades:
I just want this team to win... at any cost!

bah007
02-07-2007, 09:47 AM
No!

They are the same QB.

Plummer is older and more experienced, but he is still the same QB as Carr.

They make the same plays and the same mistakes.

I can't believe some fans hate Carr so much that they would be willing to take a step back just to get rid of him.

If we can land a guy like Garcia then I'm all for it. Get rid of Carr.

But Plummer is not an upgrade.

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
I loathe the possibility that we do get rid of Carr, bring in Jake or some other dubious castoff, have a productive offseason in the FA and draft, continue to gel and improve under Kubiak's continued vigilance, improve our record significantly ... and I get to read another 9,000+ threads next year about how getting rid of David Carr made all the difference. Let alone if he actually goes somewhere else and is successful.

Just imagine we do everything you stated, except we keep Carr, and leave the dubious castoffs alone....

Then we get the same 24 attempts per game.... 190-210 YPG...... one 300 yard game of the season.... 40 sacks..... 17 point avg(or whatever it is)... & the same 6 or 7 wins.

& you get the same 9000+ threads next year of how getting rid of David has been a long time coming.

eriadoc
02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
No!

They are the same QB.

Plummer is older and more experienced, but he is still the same QB as Carr.

They make the same plays and the same mistakes.

I can't believe some fans hate Carr so much that they would be willing to take a step back just to get rid of him.

If we can land a guy like Garcia then I'm all for it. Get rid of Carr.

But Plummer is not an upgrade.

Plummer has earned the nickname "The Mistake" with better teams around him than the Texans have had. People try to bring up the Arizona team that went to the playoffs as a bad team, but that team had one heck of a defense that year and some pretty good playmakers on offense.

At least Garcia has only performed poorly when he's had poor teams around him. Jake has performed poorly regardless of the team around him.

jerek
02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Just imagine we do everything you stated, except we keep Carr, and leave the dubious castoffs alone....

Then we get the same 24 attempts per game.... 190-210 YPG...... one 300 yard game of the season.... 40 sacks..... 17 point avg(or whatever it is)... & the same 6 or 7 wins.

& you get the same 9000+ threads next year of how getting rid of David has been a long time coming.

I'm all for getting rid of David Carr and getting someone else if it makes our team better. Really, I am. I'd say the same of any of our players. I like the guy but I'd rather watch winning football than losing favorite players.

Of course you are right that, if we keep Carr and don't continue to make forward progress, then we will read at least another 9,000+ threads about Carr still sucking. Just making an observation on the nature of so many of our fans.

jerek
02-07-2007, 10:09 AM
People try to bring up the Arizona team that went to the playoffs as a bad team, but that team had one heck of a defense that year and some pretty good playmakers on offense.

And a foolishly weak schedule.

Honoring Earl 34
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
I think Jerek is underestimating the fan base . Most just want to win and think Carr is not the answer ... so what .

If the Texans do good and at the end of the season and they're in the playoff hunt .... I will sit back ( like after you stuff yourself at Thanksgiving ) and be proud of the team .

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
And a foolishly weak schedule.

Quoted for truth.

Marcus
02-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Jake Plummer? Are you kidding me?

I'd rather have Rex Grossman than Jake Plummer. In fact, I'd take David Carr over Plummer and Grossman . . . and I don't want David Carr.

Jake Plummer.:thumbdown

OrangeCountyTexansFan
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
If we want somebody throwing the ball down the field, just put Sage in there until we can groom a young QB from the draft.
(Doesn't even have to be first round pick. Brady was a round 7 pick for the Patsys, wasn't he? Or was it round 5? Either way, he wasn't picked first round.)

Texas
02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
I think we are a step closer because hes experienced with the way we play and with kubiak and think about it...In denver the receivers werent as good as ours...So he will have more to throw too and I beleive it will make us better...Maybe not playoffs but with the right free agency adds and right draft picks we may go 8-8 or sneak into the first round within the next 2 years...

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
If we want somebody throwing the ball down the field, just put Sage in there until we can groom a young QB from the draft.
(Doesn't even have to be first round pick. Brady was a round 7 pick for the Patsys, wasn't he? Or was it round 5? Either way, he wasn't picked first round.)

That's what I'm sayin

bah007
02-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Brady was a fluke.

Honestly, how many times has a player of Brady's caliber been picked that late?

I know you can still pick up good players late in the draft but you will rarely, if ever, get a superstar.

DocBar
02-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Jake Plummer? Are you kidding me?

I'd rather have Rex Grossman than Jake Plummer. In fact, I'd take David Carr over Plummer and Grossman . . . and I don't want David Carr.

Jake Plummer.:thumbdown

Don't get ridiculous, now...

Honoring Earl 34
02-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Brady was a fluke.

Honestly, how many times has a player of Brady's caliber been picked that late?

I know you can still pick up good players late in the draft but you will rarely, if ever, get a superstar.

Bart Star and Johnny Unitas were picked much later than that .

It goes to show that the #1 asset for a QB can't be measured or timed .

srstex
02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
The QB is not the only reason a team wins, or loses. Fact: Jake's QB rating ( stats are the only way to put a report card on ONE players preformance against another players ) was the 27th in the league, VY was 30th Carr was 15th, so say what you want, but at least find someone BETTER than Carr, Plummer is not it. I say Keep Carr-Sage -VanPelt and have an open competition at QB, no extra money, no salary cap hit, and we have consistancy with all three having played for Kubiak. The draft will follow last years defense first, because the fact is as bad as everyone wants to blame Carr, the defense was at the bottom of the league 30th, the offense was not.

TwinSisters
02-07-2007, 12:05 PM
The draft will follow last years defense first, because the fact is as bad as everyone wants to blame Carr, the defense was at the bottom of the league 30th, the offense was not.

Ranking Offense by what?

Points and Yards the defense was better.