PDA

View Full Version : Texans primetime??????

fisherflo
02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I guess the only consolation that i have about the colts being the superbowl champs is that next season they will be getting a lot of prime time games and since we play them twice, well i think we have a good chance at landing a primetime slot somewhere in there since we were the last ones they lost too.

swoldier
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I guess the only consolation that i have about the colts being the superbowl champs is that next season they will be getting a lot of prime time games and since we play them twice, well i think we have a good chance at landing a primetime slot somewhere in there since we were the last ones they lost too.

That would be excellent!!!!

eric138
02-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I wish.

canadiantexan
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
The best way to get prime time games is to be a winning franchise. When we start winning 10-12 games a year we will get the "primetime" respect we deserve. Until then we don't really deserve one.

ThaShark316
02-06-2007, 11:16 AM
We could be that "sacrificial lamb" on the first thursday night game of the season...as you guys know, the sb champ gets the 1st game now.

TexanAddict
02-06-2007, 11:27 AM
We could be that "sacrificial lamb" on the first thursday night game of the season...as you guys know, the sb champ gets the 1st game now.

I think they typically try to set up a strong match up for the first game of the season, especially when it will be the only game on. I would think the Chargers, Saints, or Patriots have a good shot at being the Colts opponent that Thurs.

QB75
02-06-2007, 12:50 PM

The probability of the Texans being telecast prime time is pretty close to zero. The only case in which that would occur would be a "Saints-like" season in which the Texans had a great first half and were competing for a wild card or divsion spot. The Colts will be telecast a lot, but there are many opponents that the networks will pick over the Texans. The Titans will be among the top choices.

In any case, the advance national TV schedule won't include any Texans games. Only the late season flexible slots are a possibilty if the team is competitive.

Carr Bombed
02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
We play Denver this year don't we, that would be a good primetime game. The mentor vs. his pupil.....especially is Plummer is our QB, thats just more hype, going into the game.

MasterBasser
02-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Prime time? ha! I just hope that maybe they will be televised on Sunday's this year. They are not broadcasted in Austin or San Antonio.

ArlingtonTexan
02-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I am thinking the Bush versus Mario, Saints/Texans match-up has an decent, maybe 50/50 shot at being a national game.

ledzeppelin229
02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I am thinking the Bush versus Mario, Saints/Texans match-up has an decent, maybe 50/50 shot at being a national game.

That's a good point.

I don't know if we can count on them to make the same mistake twice, but if we got two games at 7-9 hopefully we can get just one at 6-10.

Carr Bombed
02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
either that or a Texans vs. Titans game.

Hottoddie
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM

I wonder if Espn is drooling over that game, or dreading it?:stirpot:

TexansTrueFan
02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I remember after we went 7-9 we had like 2 or 3 sunday night games, and that is about as close to prime time as we'll see for a while. They want games that will boost ratings, and i HATE to say it, but the Texans arent national favorite just yet. Or time will come though.

Ole Miss Texan
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I wonder if Espn is drooling over that game, or dreading it?:stirpot:

Tell tell us after the game what the "knew" before the game.

Double Barrel
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd feel certain that all 16 of our games in 2007 will start at 12:00 noon (maybe a 3:00 for a road game to the west coast).

I'm not holding my breath for primetime, though...not after the 2005 season.

Texans Horror
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I agree with the sentiments. The Texans wrecked their primetime chances when they let the Chiefs and Seahawks obliterate them in 2005.

Their three best chances are Broncos vs. Texans, Saints vs. Texans, and if they are good enough, a possible late-season game with play-off implications.

Personally, I think the third is the most likely chance, and not too far away from realistic.

shinerbock_girl
02-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd feel certain that all 16 of our games in 2007 will start at 12:00 noon (maybe a 3:00 for a road game to the west coast).

I'm not holding my breath for primetime, though...not after the 2005 season.

Again?????? That really sucks for the out of town ppl...They need to balance the schedules more fairly....We had all noon games last year, they should allow more 3pm games this year...Who do you complain to about this? I want to write to them....

Double Barrel
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I think well over 90% of our games in our first five seasons have been noon starts. Such is the schedules of bad teams.

It's entertainment, and ratings drives the business. The Texans have no draw at the moment.

shinerbock_girl
02-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I think well over 90% of our games in our first five seasons have been noon starts. Such is the schedules of bad teams.

It's entertainment, and ratings drives the business. The Texans have no draw at the moment.

Yea and looks like Cowboys win the draw of the 3pm games...Still sucks...I was really hoping for a few 3pm games this year...

HJam72
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Prime time? ha! I just hope that maybe they will be televised on Sunday's this year. They are not broadcasted in Austin or San Antonio.

No kidding. Let's just get them on TV first and worry about the time slot later.

TheTim5125
02-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm suprised nobody has said this but Flex Scheduling. I think it was awesome last year. I don't think the league will give us a primetime game but i think we have a shot to get one via Flex Scheduling.

Battle Red Flash
02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
The best way to get prime time games is to be a winning franchise. When we start winning 10-12 games a year we will get the "primetime" respect we deserve. Until then we don't really deserve one.

The problem with the prime time schedule makers is they wait til a team wins 12 games two years in a row, then they put them on 4 times, but they decline and we get bad games. I wish they'd take teams that had won 6 to 9 games and look like they are getting better and put them in prime time.

Speedy
02-07-2007, 02:23 PM
The problem with the prime time schedule makers is they wait til a team wins 12 games two years in a row, then they put them on 4 times, but they decline and we get bad games. I wish they'd take teams that had won 6 to 9 games and look like they are getting better and put them in prime time.That's the exact reason they came up with the flex schedule.

BornOrange
02-09-2007, 10:29 AM
The Texans best chance for a prime time game would be Vince's Homecoming, Part 2.

TexanSam
02-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I'd rather all our games be played at noon. Primetime is nice, but games at noon works out better for me.

Battle Red Flash
02-09-2007, 03:09 PM
That's the exact reason they came up with the flex schedule.

That only works on Sunday night.
Monday night games don't flex.

Big78
02-10-2007, 02:22 AM
i live in Austin and can vouch that they did stop running the sunday games and began playing titan (spit) games. i guess on theassumption that Austinites would rather watch vince than the Texans. but, u know what u get when u assume things... :winky:

Any one know for sure if they are gonna e playing them in austin on a regular basis this year? i figure they will at the start and then if we start to stink it up then they will pull them. usually they give them the benifit of the doubt

Jimpster
02-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Prime time against the Colts? I seriously doubt it. Don't forget, the Colts play fourteen other games next year. Why would the networks want to broadcast the Superbowl champions vs one of the worst teams in the NFL? The networks try to broadcast teams with winning records or teams with big name marquee players. Texans have neither. Thank that dumb arse Gary Aggiak for passing on VY or RB for not having a Prime Time game. Might as well get use to noon time games. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can hear it now. The Texans were the last team to beat the colts. It doesnt matter. They were bound to get lucky sooner or later. It was a fluke. Will the beat the Colts this year? Probably not. Will the Titans beat the Colts this year? I wouldnt bet against them. Thanks Gary.

TexanBorn51
02-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I have my own primetime every year lol...Directv. Yes I know I pay every year about $220 early bird special and see all the NFL games. I 'm paying right now $22 a month to pay off the 2007 season. It's not free but that's another NFL and TV licensing issue thread. But I got started on this cuz I temporarily moved from Texas to Phoenix AZ and I have to see all my Texan games. I would do it even if they lost all their games every year. Although I see it changing soon and start having winning seasons. I'm an ol 1960's Astrodome Oiler and now proud Texan fan. My next plan is travel to Houston stay with ol friends and go to Reliant Stadium for a game. That goes for baseball Astros too. And yes I agree to previous posts that primtime TV exists when and if your winning more often.

UvaldeTexan
02-11-2007, 12:51 PM
The Raiders got at least 2 Monday Night games last this past year and they have been horrible for a few years. But I would not look for the Texans to get a primetime slot till they prove they can win consistently.

rafterticket
02-12-2007, 12:27 PM
That's a good point.

I don't know if we can count on them to make the same mistake twice, but if we got two games at 7-9 hopefully we can get just one at 6-10.

If we get off to a good start, that'll help.

Hey, ledzep. That WMD is flipping you the bird.

Historyhorn
02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
The 3 pm games are for teams that are winning/national appeal or are West coast teams and have to start at 3:00 in order to keep their game from being a morning start.

If it is an East or Central time zone home game, the 3:00 game signifies it is one of the biggies. All others are at the standard 12:00 start. The later games are usually national or split national broadcasts, while the noon games are broken down on a regional basis.

I don't think the Texans will get any primetime games announced before the season starts. No MNF, no Sunday Nights, no Thursday night games. Our only hope is to be in contention for a playoff spot down the stretch and get picked up as a flexible schedule game for Sunday Night.

At this point, I think it is far more likely that we will be blacked out in our home market than to get any primetime games. We are already blacked out in SA, Austin, and other parts of Texas. Our guaranteed sell-out status is gone as the franchise enters its 6th year & unless we get some wins early, a game later in the season against a less than marquee program might cause the first local blackout since the Columbia Blue days.

Go Texans

Go Texans

BattleRedGuy
02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Each team is guaranteed a minimum of one prime time game every two years. Since we did not get one in 06, we will get one in 07. Probably Sunday night. The possibilities are endless as to the opponent.

I don't think it will be the Colts, Chargers or Saints as they will place them in a more marquee matchup.

Anyone else is fair game. The NFL has been known to put two also-rans together early in the season to get those teams out of the way. I do not think it will be home vs. Tenn. as the NFL will not want to show all of the orange in the stadium.

mexican_texan
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Jags at Texans should be national.

run-david-run
02-13-2007, 01:27 AM
The problem with the prime time schedule makers is they wait til a team wins 12 games two years in a row, then they put them on 4 times, but they decline and we get bad games. I wish they'd take teams that had won 6 to 9 games and look like they are getting better and put them in prime time.

Like the 04 Texans who went 7-9 and should have been 8-8? How'd that end up? There is no way to predict how good teams will be next year, thats why we end up with SI predicting a Miami/Carolina SB and the Saints going from 2nd worst to 4th best in the NFL. So many games are decided by close margins (the Texans could have beaten Buffalo, Tenn at home, and the Giants if they scored a total of 5 more points in those combined games and could stop JP Losman with 12 seconds left :drunk: ) that schedueling "good" games 3 months in advance is almost impossible

OzzO
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM

Not according to Johnny Mac (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4543685.html)
...Even though the Packers were coming off a 4-12 record last season, the league scheduled them for four prime-time games. Because they finished 8-8 last season and Favre is returning, they'll probably get the maximum number of night games.

"It's huge for the league," Atlanta owner Arthur Blank told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He's a legend.

"He's a treasure for the Packers, really, but he's a treasure for the NFL, too."...

I think it breaks down to what would bring the most audience in.... and right now, the Texans are having difficulty keeping the audience outside the Houston area. Good rivalries help as well. If we get one, it most likely will be vs. a AFC South, most likely Tenn due to the storyline developing. If so, they'd better show up a lot better than what they did the previous time we had some prime time.

Navy_Chris
02-13-2007, 12:18 PM

hope we don't play like we did against seattle or kc in 2005!!!

I think Mike Holmgren was laughing at us the entire game.

TheOgre
02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I give us about a 10-15% chance of having a MNF home game. I don't see any way we get a SNF game, though.

thunderkyss
02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
The probability of the Texans being telecast prime time is pretty close to zero. The only case in which that would occur would be a "Saints-like" season in which the Texans had a great first half and were competing for a wild card or divsion spot. The Colts will be telecast a lot, but there are many opponents that the networks will pick over the Texans. The Titans will be among the top choices.

In any case, the advance national TV schedule won't include any Texans games. Only the late season flexible slots are a possibilty if the team is competitive.

The Saints were right behind us in the draft, and they were on PrimeTime early in the season..... Monday Night against Atlanta.

Then the Raiders & Minnesota had several primetime games....

Besides..... Primetime means late games....... Meaning if the game is over at 10, I won't get home till midnight, and have to get up at 4 the next morning.

I'm not ready for that yet.

Let's just kick ass in the day light hours for another year or two :ok:

trutxn
02-13-2007, 02:49 PM

Don't forget Vince is primetime as well and we get to play him twice also.

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Each team is guaranteed a minimum of one prime time game every two years.

Do you have a legit source to indicate that's official NFL policy? I'm not calling you out, but I've never heard of such a rule, and would be very interesting in learning more.

trutxn
02-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Do you have a legit source to indicate that's official NFL policy? I'm not calling you out, but I've never heard of such a rule, and would be very interesting in learning more.

There is no such rule, it is our 5th yr and we still haven't made it primetime, YET.

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 04:21 PM
There is no such rule, it is our 5th yr and we still haven't made it primetime, YET.

Actually, "primetime" is considered Sunday and Monday Night Football, IIRC. I think we've had three SNF games - Dallas (2002), Green Bay and Kansas City (2005). There might be another that I can't remember, though.

HOU-TEX
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Actually, "primetime" is considered Sunday and Monday Night Football, IIRC. I think we've had three SNF games - Dallas (2002), Green Bay and Kansas City (2005). There might be another that I can't remember, though.

Seattle

The KC and Seattle games were rediculous games. We were blown out! They both ran up and down the field on us.

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Seattle

The KC and Seattle games were rediculous games. We were blown out! They both ran up and down the field on us.

That's right! I thought there were four, but just didn't recall Seattle. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup

ledzeppelin229
02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Have I gone mental? My brain doesn't recall four SNF games. I remember Dallas, KC, and Green Bay...what year was our Seattle game? Is it a subconscious attempt by my brain to protect me from the horror?

The Pencil Neck
02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Have I gone mental? My brain doesn't recall four SNF games. I remember Dallas, KC, and Green Bay...what year was our Seattle game? Is it a subconscious attempt by my brain to protect me from the horror?

Seattle was 2005 and, yes, there are reasons to black that out.

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I think these are all of our primetime appearances on SNF:

09/08/2002 - 19-10 Win vs. Dallas

11/21/2004 - 13-16 Loss vs. Green Bay

10/16/2005 - 10-42 Loss at Seattle
11/202005 - 17-45 Loss vs. Kansas City

GuerillaBlack
02-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I actually think a Texans/Titans game would be good Sunday Night or Monday Night. The game when Vince Young came felt almost primetime.

GuerillaBlack
02-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Jags at Texans should be national.

Especially on a Battle Red Day.

The Saints were right behind us in the draft, and they were on PrimeTime early in the season..... Monday Night against Atlanta.

Then the Raiders & Minnesota had several primetime games....

Besides..... Primetime means late games....... Meaning if the game is over at 10, I won't get home till midnight, and have to get up at 4 the next morning.

I'm not ready for that yet.

Let's just kick ass in the day light hours for another year or two :ok:

And the Saints should be an easy answer for you. Just think about what was happening that night they played the Saints. What opened that night for the first time in a year because of a hurricane?

trutxn
02-14-2007, 08:45 AM

I stand corrected, we have not had any Monday night football games. Those are the real primetime games. We will be regulars in a yr or two.

HOU-TEX
02-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I stand corrected, we have not had any Monday night football games. Those are the real primetime games. We will be regulars in a yr or two.

Actually, this year I was a little more partial to the Sunday night games. I like Al Michaels and John Madden as commentators. Now that Tiki is working with SNF, I wonder how long it's going to be until we see him on the sidelines or in the booth. Until MNF does something about thier commentators, Al and John will always be the real MNF. Of course I watch anyways. I just turn the volume down on MNF.:winky:

Texans_Chick
02-14-2007, 09:36 AM

It will be this way until there some winning going on.

That being said, I hope for the sake of the team and for my own sake that the schedule is more balanced this year.

Last seasons' early home games, then mostly road games, and then home games during the holidays totally sucked. A better mix of road and home is better for the team, and more importantly, better for my mental health. (Long road trips are non-fun).

aj.
02-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I remember a few things from the Seattle game: 1) Kailee Wong ripping up his knee, 2) Watching the Astros finish off the Cards in Game 4 of the NLCS on the big screen before the game, and 3) my lasting image of Seahawk fan - some little flannel wearing stoner mooning us early in the 4th quarter (yes, he was wearing the requisite stocking cap pulled low over his head). Hilarious stuff.

As I thanked other Hawk fans around me for providing that lasting imagery of Seattle - imagery that made Mt. Ranier and Pikes Place Market pale in comparison - I recall the people behind me saying "don't look at us, we're from Canada."

Showtime100
02-14-2007, 04:27 PM
i live in Austin and can vouch that they did stop running the sunday games and began playing titan (spit) games. i guess on theassumption that Austinites would rather watch vince than the Texans. but, u know what u get when u assume things... :winky:

Any one know for sure if they are gonna e playing them in austin on a regular basis this year? i figure they will at the start and then if we start to stink it up then they will pull them. usually they give them the benifit of the doubt

Last I heard from the station manager of KEYE was they'll start out with a Texan game and see where it goes from there. In other words, enjoy Week One next year.

BTW, CBS has sold KEYE and about five other stations in efforts to cut out on the BS markets, I'm hoping the station manager gets the axe and is replaced with a Texan from Texas (the State Of, that is).

afcman
02-14-2007, 05:18 PM
The probability of the Texans being telecast prime time is pretty close to zero.

I agree. Why would a network want to broadcast the Texans? What excitement do they bring? The entertainment factor? The Texans are BLAH! Same 'ole plays.

Marty Schottenheimer should come to Houston since we want to hang on to personnel no matter what happens (or doesn't happen as the case may be). :stirpot:

BattleRedGuy
02-15-2007, 09:34 PM

I had a link to an article on NFL.com that is no longer there. It was from a couple of years ago and explained the thought process when selecting SF and Arizona for a Sunday night game in Mexico City. Part of the process was that Arizona was "due" a prime time game because of the guarantee and that a game in Mexico drawing 100K was better than a game in Arizona drawing 30K.

I have looked around for another source but can not find one.

trutxn
02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
...Texans to get a primetime slot till they prove they can win consistently.

Nice pic Uvalde!