PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Freeney

autch14
02-05-2007, 07:56 PM
I know it would be a longshot but why not fork out the cash he wants and let him come here our d-line problems would be solved and we could fill a need on this team plus with him and mario with weaver playing on the line at once they wouldn't be able to double team anyone creating a lot more sacks

old football fan
02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
If we pay him want he will want we won't have anything lefft to spend for all the other holes we have.

Clash_Fan3605
02-05-2007, 08:00 PM
It's an idea. But we desperately need a CB & S. We need to address those first before we become a DL jaggernaut. We must have a balanced defense.

amazingandre
02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
qb pressure makes ur db's look great just remember that......

Trap_Star
02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Freeney isnt going anywhere. If he does, he will be a TITAN...
TENN has the money, he'd get to stay in the division and haunt the Colts. He saw first hand that TENN is a team on the rise...

autch14
02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
exactly if you sack him before he can throw the db's look great .... tenn has the money but maybe he doesn't like playing there maybe he enjoys it here and there are always those people that will go somewhere because they think they will make the difference and get the team over the hump

Ole Miss Texan
02-05-2007, 08:13 PM
not going to happen here. even if we got him our dline still would not be done...only our ends...we still have question marks at dt. it sure would help our secondary though.

i just think we have too many holes to spend a lot of money on one particular free agent. i'd do it if we were only a step away from playoffs/superbowl but not when we need a lot more than that.

autch14
02-05-2007, 08:16 PM
we would have weaver at dt which would leave one ? on the line and thats at the other dt spot

Trap_Star
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I think its safe to say that we have a better shot at signing Nate Clements than we do Freeney...

Ole Miss Texan
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
we would have weaver at dt which would leave one ? on the line and thats at the other dt spot

i hear this a lot. i think weaver does a decent job at dt but i can't see him being able to handle it full time for the whole season.

rickyb
02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
qb pressure makes ur db's look great just remember that......

While this is true, an outstanding secondary also improves your pass rush.

I'm just saying.

Texan_Aggie222
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Theres a little thing called the Franchise Tag............

GP
02-06-2007, 10:35 AM
ESPN's John Clayton speculates that Indy will drop the franchise tag on Freeney...which makes it 99% impossible for another team to get him.

Nice thought, though.

Huge
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
ESPN's write-up (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2754973)

The Colts have a dozen unrestricted free agents and only $2.5 million of cap room, but numbers can be deceiving. Manning has a $10 million roster bonus that will be converted into a signing bonus to save cap room. That could save $8 million. The Colts could save a little more by cutting wide receiver Brandon Stokley and defensive tackle Corey Simon. They can restructure some contracts.

Polian has several tough decisions to make. One is easy. He's not going to lose defensive end Dwight Freeney. Freeney's contract expires, and he clearly could become the top free agent. Polian is going to try to sign him, but if he doesn't he will give him the franchise tag. The franchise tag is $8.644 million, but the team would have a much lower cap number if Freeney agrees to a long-term deal.

bavanlan
02-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Plus, if Simon can't play due to his Non-Football Injury, we actually save $6.5mil. Manning's roster bonus saves $8mil, Mathis has a roster bonus that would save $3.2mil, and cutting Stokely saves $1mil. That's a possible savings of $18.7mil.

Polian has already said Freeney isn't going anywere, the last time he said that was with Wayne, and Manning before that.

El Tejano
02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
It's an idea. But we desperately need a CB & S. We need to address those first before we become a DL jaggernaut. We must have a balanced defense.

I agree, our secondary was very inconsistent.