PDA

View Full Version : Let Yesterday's Game Be A Reminder...

The Dream
02-05-2007, 05:42 PM
That balance wins superbowls and not defense or offense alone. This is why I hope we focus on improving offensively in the upcoming draft.

mexican_texan
02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Let that game remind us that a team with bad QB play cannot play the Super Bowl and the defense that played better won.

gtexan02
02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
A team with only defense will not beat a balanced team.
A terrible QB can lose any superbowl
A team that cannot make adjustments at halftime will not win a superbowl

Those are all problems the Texns have:
Not balanced (not strong on either side of the ball)
A poor judgement QB
A team that isn't talented enough at the fundamentals to make half time adjustments and loses a lot of games in the 3rd quarter (see Dallas, etc)

hollywood_texan
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
You guys are simplying this way too much.

First, if the Bears had played the Colts regularly this past few years, they probably would have had a more aggressive defensive approach. The Colts have problems with them teams that:

A: Match up well (the Bears have the talent to matchup), and
B: Have played several times so the teams know their tendacies.

Second, the Bears never got their running game established and Cedric Benson getting injured early in the game was a significant impact to their game plan.

Bottom line is, the Colts chewed up the clock early that didn't allow the Bears to get the running game going and their defensive gameplan just blew chunks!

You wanna blame the QB for the loss and correlate that to Carr, go ahead...

gtexan02
02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
The colts main problem is with 3-4 teams that disguise their 4th blitzer, thus negating Manning's LOS maneuvers.

A non blitzing bears team playing a 2 deep soft zone was easy pickings for the Colts

Kaiser Toro
02-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Not having Mike Brown and Tommie Harris may get you through the NFC, but certainly will not get you by the Colts O. They were soft up the middle and were finally exposed.

HomeBred_Texan
02-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Excuses, Excuses. Where are all the ones that claim, Defense wins championships? They don't win, they get you there...

Our Defense has a few holes, yes...

But our Offense needs major repair right now. We will never win if we can't score. Bottom Line... And leave Carr out of the threads. Enough bashing already...

HoustonFrog
02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
That balance wins superbowls and not defense or offense alone. This is why I hope we focus on improving offensively in the upcoming draft.

I said this in multiple threads yesterday. The game was a perfect example of how building the D and hoping to get by with a QB that is off and on won't get it done. The Colts D was less than perfect all year but they got it done when they needed to and had some playmakers. In the NFL today defenses alone don't win championships because the talent is too deep and coaching is too good and if your offense is inept, you are going nowhere. That #8 yesterday looked sadly familiar. Sorry it is true. Overall we need to have balance.

QB75
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I said this in multiple threads yesterday. The game was a perfect example of how building the D and hoping to get by with a QB that is off and on won't get it done. The Colts D was less than perfect all year but they got it done when they needed to and had some playmakers. In the NFL today defenses alone don't win championships because the talent is too deep and coaching is too good and if your offense is inept, you are going nowhere. That #8 yesterday looked sadly familiar. Sorry it is true. Overall we need to have balance.

Balance...which means we need backs and a secondary to begin with.

Texasian
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
The colts main problem is with 3-4 teams that disguise their 4th blitzer, thus negating Manning's LOS maneuvers.

A non blitzing bears team playing a 2 deep soft zone was easy pickings for the Colts

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah!

Texian
02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Tell them what they have won, Texasian!

trublu
02-05-2007, 08:44 PM

This was one game. How about the Bucs, or the Ravens, heck even the Steelers. All made superbowl runs with great defences and mediocre QB play.

Texan_Aggie222
02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Oh come on guys. There is two things that determine the outcome of games.

1. Turnovers

2. Domination at the Line of Scrimmage

The Bears survived all season long on producing turnovers from their defense and then playing on a shortend feild for Rex Grossman and thier running game. But when their defense doesn't produce turnovers and thier offense turns the ball over, they lose like last night. You can get a list of teams with the best records this season and a list of teams with the best turnover margin in the season and the list will almost look identical.

I thought both the Bears and the Colts had 2 of the top 5 offensive lines in the NFL, where they could dominate the line of scrimmage. The Colts OLine came to play last night and dominated the Bears DLine, allowing for Rhodes and Addai to control the game with Time of Possesion. The Colts where the most physical team, and thats why they are NFL Champions. If Tommie Harris was playing in the Superbowl, the outcome may have been different.

If the Texans want to be successful next season, they need to take care of the football and the defense needs to cause turnovers. They also need to work on both the OLine and DLine so they can be domainate at the line of scrimage.

Ole Miss Texan
02-05-2007, 09:39 PM

Yea and that's kind of why I was confused that we switched to the 4-3. I like the 4-3 a lot better but it seems if we are so concerned about putting pressure on peyton....see the mario pick...that we would rebuild the 3-4. (i know they are only 1 team)

I thought i remember some people saying how mario would be better in a 3-4 anyway so that just confused me some more.

any insight to this?

thunderkyss
02-05-2007, 09:49 PM
well...... the Bears defense that we saw yesterday was not the Bears defense people talk about when they say the Bears' defense.

How many times was Peyton sacked?? & How many times did they let Peyton look like Vince Young??

Okay, maybe not Vince Young, but a tall 230 pound Tarkenton.

I blame the coaches more than I blame Rex... all week long, I've seen Bears players all over Miami, on different shows, and making appearances everywhere.

well, Booger did do the Best Damn thing.

but other than that, the Colts were all biddness...... they had their routine, and they did their thing. The Bears were loving the media & South Beach, and all the other stuff.

Then that game plan to take away the big play...... didn't work like they planned.....

Then they blew a 14-0 lead....

There were a hundred things Grossman could have done to win that game..... but the way the game started, he shouldn't have had to do any of them. The coaches screwed that pooch....

TexansTrueFan
02-05-2007, 09:50 PM
U can have the best D in the whole league and an offense that cant do anything with the ball, and u will lose, cause it will either be turnovers or special teams that put the other team in position to win. Its hard to win if ur O stinks and ur D is good. The texans O wasnt so bad last year, i mean they put up enough points in most cases to win teams, but the D Gave up more points than we could score, so in the end, Getting rid of Carr is what everyones solution seems to be :( I dont think so.

vtech9
02-05-2007, 09:51 PM
This was one game. How about the Bucs, or the Ravens, heck even the Steelers. All made superbowl runs with great defences and mediocre QB play.

I'll field this question...

The Bucs won with a very good defense and a balanced offense ran by an average QB that didn't make alot of mistakes.

Similarly, the Ravens had the defense, a very good RB, and an average QB that didn't make many mistakes.

and again, the Steelers had a good defense, a good running game, and a QB that didn't make too many mistakes.

Hmmmm...do you see any similarities here?

The Bears had everything above except for the QB that didn't make mistakes. When your QB can't hold onto the ball, it makes it very hard to move the offense down the field to score.

trublu
02-05-2007, 10:04 PM

The Bucs won with a very good defense and a balanced offense ran by an average QB that didn't make alot of mistakes.

Similarly, the Ravens had the defense, a very good RB, and an average QB that didn't make many mistakes.

and again, the Steelers had a good defense, a good running game, and a QB that didn't make too many mistakes.

The Bears had everything above except for the QB that didn't make mistakes. When your QB can't hold onto the ball, it makes it very hard to move the offense down the field to score.

The QB wasn't the only one having problems holding on to the ball...I think there was a slight drizzle or something, I don't know I don't have HDTV. I'm not trying to defend Grossman or anything, I was just responding to post that "Good D and mediocre QB simply doesn't work". I tend to think that it does.

TexansTrueFan
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM
OK IF we had an o-line that could protect Carr i think he would be a great QB. BUT the boy is shell shocked, even when he has time, he doesnt use it cause he's so used to beign knocked around by every defender on the field. I STILL THINK carr can have a very good career here in Houston, If he has a few games where he dont get pounded into the ground than maybe he'll trust the guys blocking for him enough to hold onto the ball for 2 more seconds so our recievers can break away and we can actually have some of those exciting pass plays we see on espn when they're showing other game highlights.

HoustonFrog
02-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Exactly and we have that same problem at QB. The problem with pointing out these teams is that they are still the exception, not the rule. I know everyone would love to get to the SB but the Bears were hanging on all year hoping that their problem didn't hurt them. It did in the biggest game. My belief is once you get into the playoffs and play the top teams they can gameplan for a basic offense and make your trouble spots stick out. They made Rex have to make plays. There is no excuse, even rain for dropped snaps. His interceptiosn weren't even pressure throws for the most part..he forced the ball. Sorry but we haven't gotten to the mediocre QB part. I'd rather be the rule than the exception and just say "we can get by." Why do it if you don't have to?

Osso
02-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Let Yesterday's Game Be A Reminder...

Of week 16 when we demolished the super bowl champs 27 - 24.

:shades:

then we blasted the browns 14 - 6

We have what it takes in the front office and the players are doing great.

vtech9
02-05-2007, 10:24 PM
The QB wasn't the only one having problems holding on to the ball...I think there was a slight drizzle or something, I don't know I don't have HDTV. I'm not trying to defend Grossman or anything, I was just responding to post that "Good D and mediocre QB simply doesn't work". I tend to think that it does.

That was kind of my point...a team can win it all with a good Defense and a mediocre/average QB if the QB doesn't make alot of mistakes. Grossman has made those mistakes all year, but for the most part, the Defense and Special Teams were able to overcome those mistakes. Yesterday they weren't. Yesterdays loss by the Bears came down to 2 things...a poor defenseive gameplan, and poor QB play. Yes, it was raining, and the ball was slick, but that was a known quantity, and should have been compensated for. Manning seemed to have compensated for it, why couldn't Rex?

HoustonFrog
02-05-2007, 10:33 PM
That was kind of my point...a team can win it all with a good Defense and a mediocre/average QB if the QB doesn't make alot of mistakes. Grossman has made those mistakes all year, but for the most part, the Defense and Special Teams were able to overcome those mistakes. Yesterday they weren't. Yesterdays loss by the Bears came down to 2 things...a poor defenseive gameplan, and poor QB play. Yes, it was raining, and the ball was slick, but that was a known quantity, and should have been compensated for. Manning seemed to have compensated for it, why couldn't Rex?

I keep hearing this and I'm still trying to figure it out. They got turnovers and basically stalled the Colts offense and forced FGs, etc when they had to. I know they sat back at times and let Peyton hit them underneath but I thought their plan was good. What happened was that Grossman and others couldn't maintain drives and ewould give the ball right back to the Colts O. In the 3rd quarter the Colts had run 3 times as many plays and the time of possession was massively stacked in their favor. You can't leave a D on the field that long against an offense that runs a semi-no-huddle. They wanted to sit back and see if they could beat themselves and at first it worked. You just can't be on the field that long with an inept O giving them the ball back.

dbspi
02-05-2007, 11:11 PM

Agreed. I still wish we had 34 defense. I don't think Payton Manning would have been as effective without Addai. I really felt he was the difference maker for the colts. Having franchise type RB can really take allot of pressure off from the QB and gives QB more options to work with.

I can only hope and pray that the Texans don't screw up drafting AD at number 8 if he is available.

tsip
02-06-2007, 12:06 AM
OK IF we had an o-line that could protect Carr i think he would be a great QB. BUT the boy is shell shocked, even when he has time, he doesnt use it cause he's so used to beign knocked around by every defender on the field. I STILL THINK carr can have a very good career here in Houston, If he has a few games where he dont get pounded into the ground than maybe he'll trust the guys blocking for him enough to hold onto the ball for 2 more seconds so our recievers can break away and we can actually have some of those exciting pass plays we see on espn when they're showing other game highlights.

Did you watch the games this year? Did you know Carr was sacked 25 fewer times than in '05, though he had more tds than ints in '05? Carr had 11 games in '06 when he was sacked less than twice a game.

Kitna with Detroit was sacked 22 more times than Carr/had a worse running game/had a worse DF and still threw for over 4200 yds and 20+ tds...

:brickwall :yahoo: :tease: :brickwall

mancunian
02-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Excuses, Excuses. Where are all the ones that claim, Defense wins championships? They don't win, they get you there...

Our Defense has a few holes, yes...

But our Offense needs major repair right now. We will never win if we can't score. Bottom Line... And leave Carr out of the threads. Enough bashing already...

Defence Wins Championships alright - it was the Colts D that won that game. Despite having the ball for long periods the Colts offence never ran away with it.
It was their defence who kept getting the Bears off the field, and it was an INT return that sealed the game.

DatTexBoy
02-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Did you watch the games this year? Did you know Carr was sacked 25 fewer times than in '05, though he had more tds than ints in '05? Carr had 11 games in '06 when he was sacked less than twice a game.

Kitna with Detroit was sacked 22 more times than Carr/had a worse running game/had a worse DF and still threw for over 4200 yds and 20+ tds...

:brickwall :yahoo: :tease: :brickwall

Anybody else thought Carr snuck into the Superbowl? But then I remembered, he's probably with his wife being a good husband.

TwinSisters
02-06-2007, 06:13 AM

Don't forget the 3 1st round WRs and 1st round QB... and then they end up tossing 4200 yards with a has-been and some Mike Furrey?? Mike Furrey and Jon Kitna... two undrafted nobodies that grew up chasing chickens in backwoods inland America. Draft experts... okay, little buddy.

( sure they have Williams, but damn... )

dantem
02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Both QB's played like DC. Mostly because of the rain.

What ***** decided that the Super Bowl should be played in an open air stadium in a city that has a constant 50% chance of rain. I feel bad for the folks that actually went to the game... $8,000+ per seat to get
drenched and not be able to see the game clearly.

Also, Grossman should have been the Colts MVP, Manning did very little.

Meloy
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Anybody else thought Carr snuck into the Superbowl? But then I remembered, he's probably with his wife being a good husband.What a totally uncalled for trashy thing to say about a guy and his wife. Get a grip dude.

HomeBred_Texan
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
What a totally uncalled for trashy thing to say about a guy and his wife. Get a grip dude.

I agree. Some people have never learned the lesson if you don't have something nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all...

Kids put fingers into motion without engaging brain... :stirpot:

eriadoc
02-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Rex Grossman did something David Carr has yet to do - play poorly with a good team around him. You didn't see Grossman pressured with any real consistency in the SB, you saw the line protect well enough to take seven-step drops and make reads, you saw receivers getting open, and you saw a defense setting up the offense in the first half. Rex missed open throws, threw flutterballs, and made bad decisions to boot. Just ask yourself how Grossman would have looked on this Texans team from 2002-2006.

On the other hand, I agree with the sentiment of the post - you need to have a balanced team. The Texans have so many needs, they're not likely going to be balanced anytime soon, so at least get good at something, please.

Honoring Earl 34
02-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I never thought the Bears had a chance .

I thought the best three teams were San Diego , NE , and Indy .

texans83
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
What a totally uncalled for trashy thing to say about a guy and his wife. Get a grip dude.

thanks for adressing that

Texas Lobo
02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I know this is a bit off topic but I like the fact that the Colts won because now I can walk around saying "Do you know who the last team to beat the World Champs is?" :shades:

Lucky
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Let Yesterday's Game Be A Reminder...that you now must have a tall QB to win the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl teams with the taller QB have won the past 6 championships.

I could come up with about a dozen other factoids about Super Bowl winners. And it would prove just as much as all of the other factoids about Super Bowl winners. Your best chance at winning the Super Bowl is by having the best team.

New_Texans
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
thats what happens when you dont have a pass rush and the bears definately didnt have one

real
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Let yesterdays game be a reminder.....when two coaches go head to head and are of the same ethnicity, the coach who's team has more players who grew up west of the mississippi always wins...

Check it out...

DatTexBoy
02-11-2007, 04:58 AM

You read that in the wrong content so you need to get a grip on yourself...Carr always refers to being a good husband and having good friends when questioned about his play...or do you not listen to him on Mondays after games...

HomeBred_Texan
02-11-2007, 06:30 AM
You read that in the wrong content so you need to get a grip on yourself...Carr always refers to being a good husband and having good friends when questioned about his play...or do you not listen to him on Mondays after games...

You can try and sugar coat it all you want to, but that's not what you meant..

Erratic Assassin
02-11-2007, 10:29 AM
A team with only defense will not beat a balanced team.
A terrible QB can lose any superbowl

The Ravens were grossly unbalanced toward defense and won a superbowl with Trent Dilfer.