PDA

View Full Version : Where does Peyton Manning rank among the all time greats?

gtexan02
02-04-2007, 11:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=662

ESPN is wondering how Peyton ranks among the all time greats. I put him at #3. Sportsnation has him at #3 as well. He's sort of like Marino with a championship now. Where do you rank 'em?

Sports nations rankings:

Joe Montana
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Johnny Unitas
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach

Bob_A
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
There is John Unitas, then there is Joe Montana, then there is everyone else.

TwinSisters
02-04-2007, 11:09 PM
I would still have him in the same spot... down around 7 to 8.

The pre-78 Quarterbacks had tougher pass coverage rules, and Manning needed that lifted to perform at the level he does.

that list is a bunch of crap. Why would Starbauch be on it and not Len Dawson or Joe Namath.

O yeah because Aikman is also... I smell fish ( or trich ).

HoustonFrog
02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
I voted 30 minutes ago and he was #5. It looks like people have taken this as a large step. Obviously it is but I still don't rank him ahead of some multiple winners and others.

Mr teX
02-04-2007, 11:15 PM

ESPN is wondering how Peyton ranks among the all time greats. I put him at #3. Sportsnation has him at #3 as well. He's sort of like Marino with a championship now. Where do you rank 'em?

Sports nations rankings:

Joe Montana
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Johnny Unitas
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach

when he's all finished i think he'll be top 5, which that varies from person to person.

For me & for who i've seen actually play in their primes:

Montana/Manning
Elway
Marino
Aikman/Favre

I'm sure the old heads can & will make a case for Johnny Unitas to be in their somewhere, but as i stated, this is my list for who i've actually seen play.

TexanSam
02-05-2007, 12:49 AM
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Brady
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Marino
8. Young
9. Aikman
10. Bradshaw

My list.

Mysteryhunt
02-05-2007, 01:35 AM
its harder to win multiple super bowls now than it was in the past, so i think manning gets a break there.

riverside
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Peyton Manning, the Field General is the single greatest player to ever grace the gridiron.

Although some may say I am a bit biased. :winky:

nunusguy
02-05-2007, 01:33 PM
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre

My top 5, with Elway being the best that ever stepped on the field.
I dunno for sure what the order shoud be for the other 4.

kastofsna
02-05-2007, 01:53 PM
1: marino
2: montana
3: brady
4: elway
5: manning

Wharton
02-05-2007, 01:59 PM
1. John Unitas (first revolution of the QB position)
2. Montana (2nd revolution of the QB position)
3. Brady (3 SB and counting)

Everybody else.

I hate these things. Everybody forgets how good guys like Johnny U. and Roger Stauback really were. I'd take Roger over Payton any day of the week.

kbourda
02-05-2007, 02:03 PM
There is John Unitas, then there is Joe Montana, then there is everyone else.

I hear great things about Johnny U but i've never seen him play. So I can't comment about him but i'm pretty much with you. I'd take Montana any day of the week. But Manning is there with em', yesterday just cemented his place among the all time greats.

gtexan02
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
1. John Unitas (first revolution of the QB position)
2. Montana (2nd revolution of the QB position)
3. Brady (3 SB and counting)

Everybody else.

I hate these things. Everybody forgets how good guys like Johnny U. and Roger Stauback really were. I'd take Roger over Payton any day of the week.

Manning is in the process of revolutionizing the QB role as we speak. he may b the first QB/coach of a team. No one is given more offensive authority on the field than Manning.

Mr teX
02-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Manning - Has elements of all these & other greats from the past so it's only fitting that he's going to break almost every major record for Qb's & IMO you could insert him anywhere near the top with Montana, Elway & Unitas in my top 5, he's at no less than 4 in my book.

Montana - the 1st real QB i ever saw, accurate within inches, Pocket Prescence,multiple superbowls & probably the strongest mental game of them all.

Elway - probably the most complete of his era IMO, gun, accurate, Pocket presence, could run if you needed him to, just all around, a very bad man.

Marino - Mr. "yeah i'm going to pass & it ain't a thing you can do about." Best pure passer of them all could just make the stingiest defense look straight silly at times, gun mounted up on his shoulders just an absolute privledge to watch that man play.

Favre - Tough as nails, that absolutley ridiculous consecutive starts streak, a fighter & if Elway & Marino had a guns, this dude has a Navy cannon, it scared me a times at how hard he threw it.

Double Barrel
02-05-2007, 03:15 PM
The real list:

1. VINCE YOUNG
2. Everyone else

:D

kbourda
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
The real list:

1. VINCE YOUNG
2. Everyone else

:D

That's a good one!

Wharton
02-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Manning is in the process of revolutionizing the QB role as we speak. he may b the first QB/coach of a team. No one is given more offensive authority on the field than Manning.Actually, having the plays sent in by the coach is a relatively new concept. Most of the older QBs like Unitas and Star, called their own plays. I'm not talking about getting to choose a play out of two plays like Payton, I'm talking about calling every offensive play. Stabler was the last QB that I know of who called his own plays and he retired in 1984.

Granted Payton is a very good QB and has mastered the position, but their is nothing original about his game. Brady is the same way. There is nothing original about his game either, he just happens to be the best available right now.

The definition of Greatness is when everything before you is obsolete and everything after you bare's your mark.

The only current QB who has a chance to meet this definition of greatness is Vince Young. Note, I said chance. Vince has a long way to go before we can classify him with Unitas and Montana. Otherwise, none of todays QBs come close to fitting this definition of greatness.

Boxscore
02-05-2007, 08:13 PM

Sports nations rankings:

Joe Montana
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Johnny Unitas
Terry Bradshaw
Troy Aikman
Bart Starr
Roger Staubach

How can Sportsnation leave Joe Namath off of this list? If you agree he should be on the list, who would you take off?

Wolf
02-05-2007, 08:16 PM
and where is Warren Moon? :stirpot:
:heh:

Trap_Star
02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
MY LIST: (im only 21, so im only gonna rank QBs i've seen play)

1.Elway
2.Brady
3.Aikman
4.Young
5.Marino
6.Manning

QB75
02-05-2007, 09:14 PM
My top 5, with Elway being the best that ever stepped on the field.
I dunno for sure what the order shoud be for the other 4.

The absence of Montana on your list makes it questionable.

Stros5Texans80
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Brady
5. Favre
6. Marino
7. Young
8. Manning
9. Aikman
10. Bradshaw

My list. Count it!
:shades:

Red_Zone
02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
How is it some of you guys put Marino above other quarterbacks with SuperBowl wins? In my mind winning the big one takes you to another level and Yes, Marino was good and maybe it wasn't his fault entirely he never won the big game but I just don't think you can have a quarterback on the "all time greats" list that has never won the SB. Manning and any other QB who has ever won a SB must be above any QB who has not in my book. Fran Tarkenton was one of the All time greats in my book and my personal all time favorite. He had amazing stats, 9 pro bowl appearances and is in the HOF but he never got the Big one so he can't be on the list with the true "greats".

My List;

Montana
Elway
Unitas
Bradshaw
Staubach
Manning
Brady
Favre
Aikman
Namath

I put Namath on there because he did win the SB but he wasn't all that great of a quarterback in the Stats dept. Lot's of interceptions if I recall and overall mediocre performance with the exception of that one SB. He was a lot more show horse than work horse to me.

Hutch13
02-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Tough to leave Manning out.

My List:

Montana
Unitas
Elway
Brady
Favre

Titan "Tack" Fan
02-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Right behind Vince Young

(kidding)

canadiantexan
02-06-2007, 01:18 AM
NOW
1) Montana
2) Elway
3) Farve
4) Unitas
5) Bradshaw

IN 5 YEARS
1) Montana
2) Manning
3) Farve
4) Brady
5) Elway

I left Manning and Brady of the "now" list because I like to consider the QB's whole body of work and theirs just don't compare with the other guys yet.

I moved Farve up the list (past Elway) because after next year he will hold NFL records for most completions, touchdowns, yards and WINS, also only 3 time MVP not to mention the guy is the toughest QB to ever play the game (and yes for thoose of you over 50 I think he could have played back in the day)

P.S. If Joe Montana is not #1 on your list you just don't know football.

TwinSisters
02-06-2007, 08:23 AM

I throw him in

1. Sammy Baugh: Turned Quarterbacks into Quarterbacks, instead of a variation of Halfback and Fullback.

2. Bobby Layne: Turned Quarterbacks into leaders of men. The only man to ever win in Detroit for the past 50 years and most likely for the next 50 years ( or more ).
That's saying something.

3. George Blanda: The only Quarterback to ever win in Houston coming up on 50 years... A Quarterback that could play Linebacker and kick aka this cuss don't wear a skirt and never did.

4. Warren Moon: well, he never layed down for a sack.

5. Vince Young. So damn good he starts out at the top and can only work his way down from there.

Kick out Favre - he laid it down for Strahan. Can't be in the top five after doing something like that. It's a Rule.

Kick out Bradshaw - Rule #2. Quarterback must be able to count to five to be in the top five.

Kick out Montana - He did that SNL skit about being in his room masturbating. Not cool. Not cool at all, man.

Kick out Johnny - No Colts allowed.

Kick out Elway - No Donkeys please. Even if you look like one without a suit... or make-up. Plus he pulled a girl move by ditching the Colts in the 83 draft. I am not sure if that is as bad as laying down for a sack, but I am certain that should keep him out of the top five forever.

most likely missing some...

kastofsna
02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
How is it some of you guys put Marino above other quarterbacks with SuperBowl wins? In my mind winning the big one takes you to another level and Yes, Marino was good and maybe it wasn't his fault entirely he never won the big game but I just don't think you can have a quarterback on the "all time greats" list that has never won the SB. Manning and any other QB who has ever won a SB must be above any QB who has not in my book. Fran Tarkenton was one of the All time greats in my book and my personal all time favorite. He had amazing stats, 9 pro bowl appearances and is in the HOF but he never got the Big one so he can't be on the list with the true "greats".

My List;

Montana
Elway
Unitas
Bradshaw
Staubach
Manning
Brady
Favre
Aikman
Namath

I put Namath on there because he did win the SB but he wasn't all that great of a quarterback in the Stats dept. Lot's of interceptions if I recall and overall mediocre performance with the exception of that one SB. He was a lot more show horse than work horse to me.
i'm not going to look over someone's amazing 17 year career and rank someone else above him just because of one good year of team success. such as joe namath. namath is nothing compared to marino. absolutely nothing. in fact, none of them are. but that's another debate.

Mr teX
02-06-2007, 09:10 AM
My List;

Montana
Elway
Unitas
Bradshaw
Staubach
Manning
Brady
Favre
Aikman
Namath

Yeah while were at it y don't we put Trent Dilfer & Brad Johnson on the list for all-time greats as well since they each won a SB. that argument should be put to rest right there.

Mr teX
02-06-2007, 09:14 AM

Love Moon, but outside of the things he did socially for AA QB's, he never even made it to a superbowl so i'll have him in my top 15-20 somewhere.

HJam72
02-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Elway
Montana
Manning
Marino
Staubach
Bradshaw
Favre
Brady
McNair
Carr :tomato:

Moon
S. Young

HJam72
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
On a more serious note: http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5188

Do notice that the thread is about 3 years old.

TwinSisters
02-06-2007, 10:26 AM
On a more serious note: http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=5188

Do notice that the thread is about 3 years old.

THat's a crock!

Bobby Layne 16th!

also for those people that use the 'only rank the ones you have seen' line, I must say this:

If you had to rank the 50th greatest presidents are you going to kick out Washington because you didn't see him cross the Delaware? You would be stuck with choosing between Clinton and Bush and Bush.

Mr teX
02-06-2007, 10:30 AM
THat's a crock!

Bobby Layne 16th!

also for those people that use the 'only rank the ones you have seen' line, I must say this:

If you had to rank the 50th greatest presidents are you going to kick out Washington because you didn't see him cross the Delaware? You would be stuck with choosing between Clinton and Bush and Bush.

I say that b/c all i really have is stats to back up my positioning & as we all know Stats do lie. Do i even have to bring up the DC QB rating from 2006?

V Man
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM
P.S. If Joe Montana is not #1 on your list you just don't know football.

How is that?

Because of the Super Bowls he won? If that is the case Bradshaw is number 1. Don't get me wrong, he is in the Top 5 (even top 2), but I don't think it he is number 1. Elway was the best, took his team to the Super Bowl when it had nothing. Yes, it took a running game for him to win it, but other QB didn't have a running game or a great defense to help him win.

My list
1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Brady
4. Bradshaw
5. Manning
6. Aikman
7. Moreno

canadiantexan
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
How is that?

Because of the Super Bowls he won? If that is the case Bradshaw is number 1. Don't get me wrong, he is in the Top 5 (even top 2), but I don't think it he is number 1. Elway was the best, took his team to the Super Bowl when it had nothing. Yes, it took a running game for him to win it, but other QB didn't have a running game or a great defense to help him win.

My list
1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Brady
4. Bradshaw
5. Manning
6. Aikman
7. Moreno

The "if you don't have Montana #1 you just don't know football" is actually something I heard John Madden say on a telecast last year I just thought it would be fun to throw in there. The QB I think that had the least help by his surronding teammates is Brett farve. Farve never had a great wide reciever or runningback. When they won it all they had a pretty good defense and Farve thats it. I'm really suprised he was left off so many lists...to me he has the best combination of stats, wins and championships. just a thought

TwinSisters
02-07-2007, 01:08 AM
[/B]

I say that b/c all i really have is stats to back up my positioning & as we all know Stats do lie. Do i even have to bring up the DC QB rating from 2006?

Yeah it's alright. The thing is though the question is "all-time" greats, so that's why I had to add that line in.

here's Sammy Baugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pst4J1LerL0

He looks pretty good.

NFL Films used to have thousands of videos online before somebody clamped down on them. Punks.

Here's Bobby
http://www.detroitlions.com/section_display.cfm?level=3&section_id=71&top=1

smoking cigarettes in the huddle...eheh. My man.

bluestars87
02-07-2007, 01:55 AM
I'd rank Peyton 4th.

This guy is number one of course:
http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10045000/10045172.jpg

bluestars87
02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
How is that?

My list
1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Brady
4. Bradshaw
5. Manning
6. Aikman
7. Moreno
Actually the Broncos had decent to good defenses in the 80's. I think it was more so the system he was in that made the offense struggle at times. Then again, John made some really bad throws a lot of the time early in his career.

kastofsna
02-07-2007, 08:42 AM
How is that?

not entirely true. they had the #3 ranked defense and were 6th in the league in rushing the year the broncos were obliterated by the niners in the super bowl.

jayjordan
02-08-2007, 06:58 AM
In everyones opinion do you think peyton would still be great or as good as he is without the WR's and RB's that he has had throughout the years? Do you think he deserved the MVP of the superbowl?

Me personally I feel without the receiving core, and O-Line he has had he wouldnt be as good but that goes for any QB.I just see how many put him as the best ever or top three I slightly disagree.But thats my opinion.

kastofsna
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
montana had two rings on his finger before rice was drafted, so i think it's pretty clear who came first there. ;)

Mr teX
02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Kind of like: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Right?

Montana or Rice?

Peyton or Marvin?

Brady or ... Well that one doesn't really work here.

Elway or Davis?

Marino or ... Well that's before my time.

Moon or Drew Hill?

I think that strong leaders bring out the best in who's around them. While I don't agree that Peyton is the best of all time...he's a top tier QB in this league. Without his leadership and the coaches system...the WR's wouldn't be what they are. It's a good fit all the way around.

Sure it works there, Brady or Vinatieri?

Mr teX
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Vinatieri didn't drive the ball down the field.

Yeah, but if Vinatieri didn't hit the clutch kick to win it, it doesn't matter who drove it down the field. besides, Rice didn't drive the 49ers down the field did he?

Mr teX
02-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Ok...CLEARLY you've put much more thought into this thread than I have.

Your analytical approach to a random thread is troubling to me.

I'm bored with you!

[Cool avatar btw]

LOL.... it's OK man, if it makes you feel better, i'm bored at work that's why i'm being "analytical".

Thanks by the way, i stole it from someone at another website.

GoPats
02-09-2007, 09:42 AM
It's hard to include active guys because you never know what'll happen. What if Brady retires with six rings? What if Manning breaks a few more records (which is probably a given at this point)? What if Favre pulls off a miracle and goes out with another title? I think all three of those guys will end up in the top 10, but the order is hard to call at this point.

So my top 10 list, which excludes actives, would be:

1. Montana... and the rest go in no particular order...

- Marino
- Elway
- Steve Young
- Aikman
- Dan Fouts
- Unitas
- Otto Graham
- Bradshaw
- Staubach