View Full Version : Andre Johnson - Best WR in the NFL

Dre_80
02-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Feb. 3, 2007, 1:59AM
SUPER BOWL SUMMARY

By JOHN MCCLAIN AND CHRONICLE NEWS SERVICES
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Texans receiver honored
Texans receiver Andre Johnson was voted as the best in the NFL at his position.

Each season, the NFL Alumni 2006 Player of the Year honorees are announced, and Johnson was the top receiver.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4523236.html

:yes:

TexanSam
02-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Wow...that's pretty neat.

yourfavoritetexan42
02-03-2007, 11:09 AM
That is an awesome list to be on! Wow.

Drew Brees? LT? Jason Taylor? Once we can have a consistent offense... I think AJ will be breaking all kinds of records, and start being talked about on espn about how no one can stop him.

hot pickle
02-03-2007, 11:14 AM
can't wait to see what he can do with a real QB throwin him the ball

gtexan02
02-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Shoot, now that he knows this is how the rest of the NFL feels about him, once his contract is up, he's either gone or going to break our bank

axman40
02-03-2007, 11:25 AM
First some props to VY and now AJ, the Cult of Carr will be going nuclear any moment now!

http://www.panicbuttons.com/images/panic-button.jpg

:tease:

powerfuldragon
02-03-2007, 11:39 AM
we could've told them that dre was the best reciever in the league years ago.

we've gotta keep dre at all costs....

Vinny
02-03-2007, 11:43 AM
LOL at all the people bagging on Andre last year trying to find anyone to blame (other than you know who) for the pathetic passing game we have...you guys look...sharp.

MrMeToo
02-03-2007, 01:26 PM
can't wait to see what he can do with a real QB throwin him the ball

me too...

RTP2110
02-03-2007, 02:06 PM
LOL at all the people bagging on Andre last year trying to find anyone to blame (other than you know who) for the pathetic passing game we have...you guys look...sharp.

I remember that, classic stuff indeed.

Overalls
02-03-2007, 04:49 PM
First some props to VY and now AJ, the Cult of Carr will be going nuclear any moment now!

That's one thing I like about the Vinny Jock jumpers. They can turn every thing into something about Vinny Vick.

thunderkyss
02-03-2007, 06:44 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4523236.html

:yes:

I think I'm gonna cry......

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I think I'm gonna cry......

Does this make him a weapon that we don't have ?

TwinSisters
02-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Carl Pickens.

Ca-arl Pickens.

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I had Blake and Pickens one year in a fantasy league .

TwinSisters
02-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I had Blake and Pickens one year in a fantasy league .

I had Carr and Johnson finally kicking the door in .... 4 years ago. Times were good back then, we even thought Iraq might turn out for the better.

Hulk75
02-03-2007, 07:57 PM
You know what tikes me off to no end, why cant it just be what it is, he got a award congrats Dre, why even bring (you know who) in to it, jerks some of you. And if you take affence to it then you know how you are.

Congrats Dre, he can get better though, thats what is nice. I hope he does not get comfy, and keeps at it.

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2007, 07:59 PM
You know what tikes me off to no end, why cant it just be what it is, he got a award congrats Dre, why even bring (you know who) in to it, jerks some of you. And if you take affence to it then you know how you are.

Congrats Dre, he can get better though, thats what is nice. I hope he does not get comfy, and keeps at it.

Yeah ... you've cut down the best WR in the NFL numerous times . That's what makes me mad .

Hulk75
02-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Yeah ... you've cut down the best WR in the NFL numerous times . That's what makes me mad .

I am tired who cares, I think he has a lot of work left. Like not leading the AFC in drops, is that too much to ask.

Yes now he is the best WR in the NFL so now we cant talk about him either, so he is safe.

mexican_texan
02-03-2007, 08:33 PM

They go hand-in-hand. You can't give props to Marvin Harrison without saying "but...he has Peyton Manning." You can't diss or praise AJ without saying "despite the anemic passing offense."

Tulip
02-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I saw Andre at the Rockets game Monday night, and I had a chance to congratulate him on the Pro Bowl.

This is another cool honor - best at his position. And he is going to have the opportunity to be even better in the future (hopefully starting this upcoming season) - I'm excited about him.

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2007, 08:49 PM
I am tired who cares, I think he has a lot of work left. Like not leading the AFC in drops, is that too much to ask.

Yes now he is the best WR in the NFL so now we cant talk about him either, so he is safe.

When you get voted the best it's like immunity on Survivor ... you can't catch to much heat .

Hulk75
02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
When you get voted the best it's like immunity on Survivor ... you can't catch to much heat .

Thanks? Never watched it.

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Ain't that special .

aj.
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Amazing accomplishment considering the Dilfer wannabe he's been handicapped with ...

ledzeppelin229
02-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Maybe when he progresses beyond getting thrown 6 yard slants and getting blown up because everyone knows its coming, he will drop a few less.

thunderkyss
02-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Maybe when he progresses beyond getting thrown 6 yard slants and getting blown up because everyone knows its coming, he will drop a few less.

Or maybe there's a reason why the guy leading the AFC in Drops can be voted the best WR in the league... & why the guy leading the league in Drops can also lead the league in TDs (by a WR) and earn $10 million a year....

Because it don't matter. If that's all they are doing.... dropping passes, and little else, those guys wouldn't be playing. But the Good out weighs the bad when talking about these two.

Just like with YKW.... a lot of Texans fans loved him, and wanted him to have a long career here when he was throwing more TDs than INTs.... but now that he fumbles every game, and throws more INTs than TDs..... it's not worth it to keep putting him on the field.....

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2007, 10:32 PM
What would have happened if AJ hurts a knee in week two ?

mexican_texan
02-03-2007, 10:41 PM
We look back to 2-14 as "the good 'ol days."

Heath Shuler
02-03-2007, 11:08 PM
What would have happened if AJ hurts a knee in week two ?
Donít bring that bad voodoo around here. Go find some wood to knock on; quick.

SamuraiSword
02-04-2007, 12:44 AM

So is your bro jealous yet of Andre and Vince going to the pro bowl??? :bubble: :tease:

Lucky
02-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Amazing accomplishment considering the Dilfer wannabe he's been handicapped with ...
As this thread regresses into another Bash Carr session, I’d like to point out a couple of things. First, Andre Johnson is not the best WR in the NFL. Secondly, every Texan fan knows this.

I’m not here to defend Carr. He was horrible over the 2nd half of the season, barely OK prior to that. But, I can’t see how Andre was a victim of Carr’s ineptness. Johnson was third in the league in numbers of passes thrown to (or targets). If anything, Carr threw to AJ too much, at the expense of Moulds and other receivers.

And yes, many of those were on 6-yard slants. Well, those are the patterns the coaches send Johnson on. That’s what he can handle. He runs sloppy outs where CBs get great jumps on the ball. He rarely works back to the ball on curls. And Andre hasn’t made plays downfield since the 1st half of the 2004 season. Johnson has turned into a possession receiver with questionable hands inside the body of one of the NFL’s premier athletes.

I would love to hear from a Texan fan as to why AJ is the best WR in the game. I realize that he led the NFL in receptions. The Lions’ Mike Furrey was #2 in catches. Does that make him the 2nd best WR in the game? Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin…all better WRs than Andre Johnson. As much as I hate to say it, so is Terrell Owens. Raise your hand if you had heard of these Alumni awards prior to this thread. It’s a beauty contest. And a poster in the Texans Chick thread made a valid point regarding the ex-players who think Carr’s problems are solely the fault of the offensive line. How many Texans games have these guys seen? The same holds true with their opinion on Andre.

Vinny
02-04-2007, 08:52 AM
As this thread regresses into another Bash Carr session, I’d like to point out a couple of things. First, Andre Johnson is not the best WR in the NFL. Secondly, every Texan fan knows this.Every fan knows this? Speak for yourself and don't paint all of us Texan fans with that broad brush. AJ is an unreal talent and Carr has been absolute garbage for half a decade. It's just too bad our fans have no clue sometimes.

Lucky
02-04-2007, 08:58 AM
It's just too bad our fans have no clue sometimes.
I'll take a clue if you've got one. Please, tell me why Johnson is the best WR in the NFL.

Vinny
02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
I'll take a clue if you've got one. Please, tell me why Johnson is the best WR in the NFL.Why argue with me? I've been on the right side of almost every one we have ever had. You told me Thomas Jones was a chump when I wanted the Texans to sign him years ago (you said he would be waived), you railed on me 4 years ago when I said that David Carr has a potentially long term downside that....well, came true. HPF is full of Lucky v Vinny arguments...I grew tired of the ongoing ownage (I don't post there anymore...but not due to you)....it's not that fun to own Lucky anymore. You don't think AJ is all that? Classic stuff because at least you are consistent.

Lucky
02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Why argue with me?
Masochistic tendency, I suppose. But, you have to present a point in order to argue. I'd love to hear yours.

Vinny
02-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Masochistic tendency, I suppose. But, you have to present a point in order to argue. I'd love to hear yours. I mean, what do you want me to say? Carr and his predictable passes and his tendency to lock on doesn't hurt AJ? You want me to point out that the league insiders have a higher opinion of AJ than the Carr sunshine pumpers do? I mean, what?

I'm kinda excited about todays game but a little love for AJ from his peers this weekend should be celebrated...but the Carr faction has to throw feces at him...as per usual. You guys are a riot.....like a Detroit riot.

axman40
02-04-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.panicbuttons.com/images/panic-button.jpg
:tease:

Lucky
02-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I mean, what do you want me to say?
I was looking for the reasons behind why you might believe Andre Johnson is the best WR in the NFL.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
02-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll take a clue if you've got one. Please, tell me why Johnson is the best WR in the NFL.

Lady's and Gentleman......Let's get ready to RUMBLE.......AGAIN!!!!!!!

Sorry guys J/K lol could not resist.

Vinny
02-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I was looking for the reasons behind why you might believe Andre Johnson is the best WR in the NFL.Well, being the one man show despite being on a team with a bad QB and a pathetic passing game is one clue. A player that creates a double team regardless of opponent is another clue. His peers who watch game film seem to have a clue too....Take AJ out of this offense last year and we have the worst offense in the NFL. Take Carr out and we usually win. Go figure.

Lucky
02-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Well, here's what AJ's coach had to say about what this team needs (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3271&section=N%20Latest%20News):

ďWell, I think it is obvious on offense. We have got to find a way to make some big plays. In this business it is so hard to sit there and march three and four yards a play and be that consistent. You have got to have guy that can get you on and off the field, that can make the big play. We didnít score enough points. In this league youíve got to find a way to score some points. So I would say the point of emphasis is we have to find some playmakers. We have to find some guys that can step up and make some plays whether it is a back, another receiver. Somehow we have got to make some big pays and score more points because we definitely didnít do that this year.Ē

Whether you think Andre Johnson is a playmaker or not, Kubiak is implying that the Texans don't have one. I don't think a WR not considered a playmaker by his own coach can be thought of as the NFL's best.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the day we don't have David Carr to kick around, anymore. At least then, we can discuss the Texans players objectively.

Vinny
02-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I originally took issue with “every Texan fan knows this”….and it couldn’t be further from the truth. Frankly, you just need to watch the playoffs to see how dominant players are taken out of offenses as you can always scheme one dominant player out of any offense. The Steelers did it with Earl in the playoffs and Marvin Harrison has not been productive at all in the playoffs. In a league where you can scheme the most dominant player out of a game it’s generally a clue that a player is dominant when teams tend to double or overplay these types of guys. The only thing the Texans have ever done is hide Carr and put him in positions to manage games so he wouldn’t lose them while the playmakers like AJ try to overcome perpetual ongoing weakness. I agree...we do need another playmaker. But that's no knock on AJ. 11 men on offense you know.....11 on the other side as well.

Lucky
02-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Frankly, you just need to watch the playoffs to see how dominant players are taken out of offenses as you can always scheme one dominant player out of any offense.
But, did teams actually take AJ out of the offense? He was #3 in targets in the NFL. He caught over 100 passes. I don't see how someone could watch 16 Texans games, and not believe that Andre could (and should) have done more with the opportunities he had. Or believe that he's the best WR in the NFL.

Vinny
02-04-2007, 09:43 AM
But, did teams actually take AJ out of the offense? He was #3 in targets in the NFL. He caught over 100 passes. I don't see how someone could watch 16 Texans games, and not believe that Andre could (and should) have done more with the opportunities he had. Or believe that he's the best WR in the NFL. He was productive despite teams focusing a game plan around him and he had to catch so many passes in the linebacker areas that he got hit more than any of the top wr's I'd bet (and by consistently larger players since he had to catch so many short passes)....you hang on to your position though. I enjoy looking back on these threads.

nunusguy
02-04-2007, 09:49 AM
AJ is an unreal talent and Carr has been absolute garbage for half a decade.

I'd call AJ more of an unreal athletic freak than an unreal football talent. As has been pointed already in this thread, his route running skills are, well at the least marginal, and his hands (or lack thereof) are inconsistant, even unreliable. Atleast this would be my summary for the last couple years, though he was of course injured much of the 2005 season.
His 2004 season was steller, and maybe not coincidentally probably Carr's best year ?
And regarding Carr, I'm with Lucky on that one. One of the reasons it will be
good that he's outa here (if it happens), is that it would put an end to the battle between DCs haters and lovers, and maybe restore some objectivety
to discussions about our QB(s) (whoever he/they may be).

Lucky
02-04-2007, 09:50 AM
...you hang on to your position though.
I will.

And you do make a good point of Johnson taking too many hits. I believe he has tired of running these short routes. And losing. Hopefully, the Texans will open Andre up down the field and he can become the player we all want him to be. My point is, he's not there yet. No matter what the NFL Alumni organization says.

Dre_80
02-04-2007, 10:04 AM
As this thread regresses into another Bash Carr session, Iíd like to point out a couple of things. First, Andre Johnson is not the best WR in the NFL. Secondly, every Texan fan knows this.
Obvously i don't. And the media doesn't. The players don't. Maybe it's just you and some other "haters". Is Andre Johnson perfect? No. Who is? Nobody. Marvin Harrison drops balls. Could Marvin Harrison make that circus catch Andre Johnson made against the Vikings? No. Can he block? No. Can he outwrestle a CB? No. Is he or any other top WR faster than Andre? No. I have no clue how you can say he's not the best WR in the NFL. Who is better than Andre? Wayne or Harrison? Fitzgerald? Boldin? TO? Are you kidding me? A case could be made for Chad Johnson but come on. The guy is surrounded by Pro Bowlers. Just like the other Pro Bowl WRs. The only WR with a poor passing offense, poor running game is AJ. All those other Pro Bowlers are surrounded by Pro Bowl players (Harrison, Wayne) or they're just playing in an offense where any WR is guaranteed to put up huge numbers (Rams, Lions, Cardinals). AJ has none of that.

Iím not here to defend Carr. He was horrible over the 2nd half of the season, barely OK prior to that. But, I canít see how Andre was a victim of Carrís ineptness. Johnson was third in the league in numbers of passes thrown to (or targets). If anything, Carr threw to AJ too much, at the expense of Moulds and other receivers.
You keep believe that. We werent even able to stretch the field because of Carr. His deep ball is about as useless as a chocolate fireguard.

And yes, many of those were on 6-yard slants. Well, those are the patterns the coaches send Johnson on. Thatís what he can handle. He runs sloppy outs where CBs get great jumps on the ball. He rarely works back to the ball on curls. And Andre hasnít made plays downfield since the 1st half of the 2004 season. Johnson has turned into a possession receiver with questionable hands inside the body of one of the NFLís premier athletes.
That doesn't make any sense.
1st of all) Why is he running slants and comeback routes only? Because of a) Carr and because of b) our poor protection.
2ndly) He hasnt made plays downfield since 04? Why? Because of a) Carr and because of b) our poor protection.
3rdly) He has questionable hands? I guess thats probably why he's making catches no other WR in the nfl can. If you drop a ball, it has nothing to do with your hands. Its either poor concentration or a lack of confidence. In AJs case its clearly that he cant concentrate at times. He takes his eyes off the ball, he lets the ball hit his chest instead of grabbing it etc. Andre has exceptional hands. Its just that he cant focus at times. That was the knock on him when he left Miami. Every young WR drops passes. Oh and knocking his route running is just ridiculous. That was his strength when he came out of college. Again, he's not perfect. He's not Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt when it comes to that but to say anything negative on his route running is pathetic.

I would love to hear from a Texan fan as to why AJ is the best WR in the game. I realize that he led the NFL in receptions. The Lionsí Mike Furrey was #2 in catches. Does that make him the 2nd best WR in the game? Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Reggie Wayne, Anquan BoldinÖall better WRs than Andre Johnson. As much as I hate to say it, so is Terrell Owens. Raise your hand if you had heard of these Alumni awards prior to this thread. Itís a beauty contest. And a poster in the Texans Chick thread made a valid point regarding the ex-players who think Carrís problems are solely the fault of the offensive line. How many Texans games have these guys seen? The same holds true with their opinion on Andre.

This part right here just shows how little you know about those other WRs. You probably dont even watch them play. You see one of them make a great catch on NFL Primetime and then you go like "whoa! he's the best WR!!". Watch them play man. To even put a guy like Roy Williams/TO up there with Holt is just hilarious. I love how you compare a WR with a hall of fame like O-Line, RB and QB plus an additional Pro Bowl WR right next to him to guys like Andre Johnson who runs this offense by himself. No running game. Poor pass protection and a QB who cant get the ball downfield. Priceless. :yes:

Mr. B
02-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Sorry you guys but Lucky is right on this one AJ is far from the best reciever in the NFL this year. I have watched him many times during the season and he is sloppy and lazy on many routes at times. Many times as stated he makes no effort to come back to the ball for help. He may draw double coverage at times but many times he doesn't and he still can't get open and seperation from the DBacks.

Yea he makes a circus catch every now and then which all of you seem to latch onto and use as your ultimate Yu Gi Oh defense card. Way to many dropped balls this season to be given that award.

Hell Colston smoked him as a reciever this year !!! But then again you guys will probably bring it back to "oh but Colston had Bree's and AJ had Carr.

Damn good reciever though.

Revolution
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Shoot, now that he knows this is how the rest of the NFL feels about him, once his contract is up, he's either gone or going to break our bank

You really think Dre needed to be told he is one of the best in the league? If he did not already know, his agent sure did...

It's not a :secret:

RTP2110
02-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I think alot of the knocks that are being presented against AJ are really just nitpicking. I'm not saying he's the best WR in the NFL (Top 5 IMO). But some of the things you guys are pointing out, happens to everyone. TO drops more passes than anyone. But I just read that he is still better than AJ when the knock on AJ is he drops too many passes? Huh?

I watched Antonio Gates run out of bounds against NE when he had 30 more yards available if he would have turned up field. The things being held against AJ could be held against almost avery WR. Nobody's perfect.