PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Free Press Reports Trading #2 Pick

coachdent
01-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that rumblings out of Detroit are for the Lions to deal thier 1st round #2 overall pick to the Eagles for Donovan McNabb. It's Super Bowl week, so rumors will definitely fly.

With that rumor, one would think that the Eagles would entertain the Raider's offers for the #1 pick. The feeling in the City of Brotherly Love (aka The City of Brotherly Homicides) is that Brady Quinn along with two years of grooming under Garcia, is the best course of action for the Birds.

The knock against McNabb is that he has been to the NFC Championship four times in a row and only went to the Super Bowl once and lost it. Obviously a bum... He also seems to be injury prone. There also seems to be a very large racial element in Philly.... shhhhhhhhh! :winky:

Carr Bombed
01-31-2007, 07:06 AM
I definitely called this one

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=585443#post585443

If anything they are going to draft a QB, that Martz can work with, or trade down to get another one.

Carr Bombed
01-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Lions are going to be a dangerous team next year, they have alot of offensive talent......Roy Williams is a top 3 receiver in the league and thats no lie....just look it up.

O.G.
01-31-2007, 07:38 AM
This could be very interesting if that happens....

AtheGreat
01-31-2007, 08:06 AM
humm...at first i kinda laughed at that idea, but it dosen't seem too ridiculous. might as well stick with the guy that got you a playoff win. and for the lions, there's nothing wrong with getting mcnabb. he'll be back in good shape by next season. you think the eagles would you use that 2nd on a QB? there Dline has been kinda hurt for most of the year from what i remember.

TheCD
01-31-2007, 08:15 AM
I really hope this doesn't happen. It would be nice to see McNaab succeed, after all. If this goes through he'll be relegated to the likes of Barry Sanders...great player on a team destined for failure.

real
01-31-2007, 08:26 AM
I really hope this doesn't happen. It would be nice to see McNaab succeed, after all. If this goes through he'll be relegated to the likes of Barry Sanders...great player on a team destined for failure.

I think McNabb makes that team legit or atleast a couple pieces away from it.

Trap_Star
01-31-2007, 08:31 AM
I dont like this rumor at all. McNabb is on the wrong side of 30. If the Lions are smart, they'd take Thomas w/#2 pick and take best QB available in round 2.(Troy Smith) Then again, this is Matt Millen we are talking about...

Lucky
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
I just looked at the Detroit Free Press, and it didn't say boo regarding this rumor. Sounds completely bogus.

Kaiser Toro
01-31-2007, 08:42 AM
The only scuttlebutt I could find was an Ann Arbor rag from 1/26

http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1169826207194290.xml&coll=2

snippet:
The fact is, a college quarterback is always an unknown commodity until he proves he's not, which brings us to Donovan McNabb.

The former NFL Pro Bowler is suffering through a little mid-career crisis. He blew out his knee this season, and when veteran backup Jeff Garcia led the Eagles to the playoffs, Philadelphia's notoriously fickle fans and media began to wonder whether they might be better off with Garcia at quarterback than McNabb.

Yes, that Jeff Garcia, the one who flopped in Detroit.

Seriously, stop laughing.

There have been weird rumbles in Eagle-ville lately, with coach Andy Reid ordering McNabb not to travel with the team for a playoff game, then canceling a news conference the quarterback wanted to hold.

This led to a newspaper report suggesting McNabb is unhappy with the team, which Reid quickly refuted.

Mr. White
01-31-2007, 08:42 AM
I just looked at the Detroit Free Press, and it didn't say boo regarding this rumor. Sounds completely bogus.

He must mean "Free Press" in the broad sense. Could radio speculation be considered "free press?"

Kaiser Toro
01-31-2007, 08:43 AM
And from a Califonia paper

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/16532785.htm

snippet:
Reports of Donovan McNabb's discontent with the Eagles aren't just greatly exaggerated, they are entirely fabricated, according to coach Andy Reid and the quarterback's agent, Fletcher Smith.

"I think people are making a lot of things up here that aren't true," Reid said Tuesday in a conference call from Mobile, Ala.

"None of it is true," said Smith, also in Mobile attending Senior Bowl workouts.

Since Reid canceled a McNabb news conference that had been scheduled for Friday, Internet and newspaper reports have said the quarterback is unhappy with the Eagles. One said McNabb was in "a squabble" with the team about his rehabilitation from the knee surgery that cut short his 2006 season.

A rumor reported on a football Web site said that McNabb was, at some point, behind in his rehab and that he blamed trainer Rick Burkholder. The Web site said, "There's a school of thought" that Reid canceled McNabb's press conference, in part, because of "concerns that McNabb would blab about the brouhaha."

coachdent
01-31-2007, 09:06 AM
He must mean "Free Press" in the broad sense. Could radio speculation be considered "free press?"

Broad sense to be sure. It didn't come out of my rear, that's for sure!

It is a rumor mill and rumors are what they are... opportunities for discussion and speculation and what not. There are 86 days to the draft. This won't be the first rumor to come down the block.

There is a great deal of unrest in Philly in the papers and on the radio concerning McNabb. There is definitely a contingent that is fed up with McNabb. He has a interview today that had been postponed really burned people up. Andy Reid advised him??? not to give the press conference earlier.

I don't think it makes too much sense for Detroit. They seem happy enough with Kitna and the number 2 pick is a big one. McNabb is questionable as to how healthy he will be next year. Why would you give up a number 1 for such an unknown commodity?

The Raiders situation semes more appropriate for both side. If the Eagles truly want Brady, then why not go all the way to the top to ensure that pick? Other players would have to be involved. But the QB situation in Raider Nation is far more muddled than Detroit. The Al Davis wildcard comes into play as well.

GP
01-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Two years straight Mcnabb has not made it past the half-way mark of the season before getting his leg and/or ankle injured.

He's on the decline, IMO, and what team wants another Culpepper situation: Half of McNabb's talent is found in his ability to scramble, and how effective is he going to be with scrambling after two straight seasons of lower extrimity injuries?

BUT...as someone said "It IS Matt Millen we're talking about."

Heaven forbid you just stay at No. 2 and pick up a beast of an o lineman who could anchor your line for the next 10 years (shakes head in disbelief) no matter WHO is the QB.

That team is amazing. I know we're unsatisfied with our team right now, but we've got it fairly well compared to the Lions and Browns.

Meloy
01-31-2007, 09:21 AM
any impact on Texans @ #8 or will players fall about the same?

TexanSam
01-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Lions are going to be a dangerous team next year, they have alot of offensive talent......Roy Williams is a top 3 receiver in the league and thats no lie....just look it up.

They still have Matt Millen as the GM. He'll screw it up. And Roy Williams isn't one of the top 3 WRs in the league. He's a very good WR, but he's not one of the elite.

El Tejano
01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
any impact on Texans @ #8 or will players fall about the same?

Well it just means that Adrian Peterson could be taken by the team that trades with them IMO.

El Tejano
01-31-2007, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=gpshafer_1976;586005]
He's on the decline, IMO, and what team wants another Culpepper situation: Half of McNabb's talent is found in his ability to scramble, and how effective is he going to be with scrambling after two straight seasons of lower extrimity injuries?

BUT...as someone said "It IS Matt Millen we're talking about."

Heaven forbid you just stay at No. 2 and pick up a beast of an o lineman who could anchor your line for the next 10 years (shakes head in disbelief) no matter WHO is the QB.

Well, you have to think about it in terms of putting fans in the stands. Mcnabb will draw that kind of attention.

But it also means that now you can use your #1 on a WR again!!! Ha Ha Ha!!! But seriously it also means you can find an OL with less invested in it.

amazingandre
01-31-2007, 10:51 AM
if they trade with the eagles they wont pick up adrian oviously they have westbrook.....but what if they get atl to trade with them vick for a 2nd rounder???????:stirpot:

torontooilfan
01-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Millen is a complete and total moron.

I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this.

That said, I found nothing at either the FREEP site or Detroit News.
I doubt this has any teeth.

Lucky
01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Broad sense to be sure. It didn't come out of my rear, that's for sure!
The title implies that the rumor comes from the Detroit Free Press newspaper. Now, you're saying that it didn't? Which is it?

thunderkyss
01-31-2007, 11:35 AM
It makes sense to me.

I've always thought there was a little something/something between Reid & McNabb, as far as who runs that team. Without McNabb, it looks like more of a team..... with him, it's the McNabb show. & Reid has to tip-toe around McNumbNutts.

So if I were the Eagles, I'd do it.

But if this goes down, then that would tell me that T.O. was right to call McNabb out in Philly. They needed better play from the QB position, and the coach wasn't demanding anything extra from his QB. Sure McNabb got them to the NFC Championship game.... but he lost them as well. Sure, McNabb got them to the SuperBowl, but he lost it as well.

McNabb is not a leader, McNabb is not a field general...... he's one heck of a QB, no doubt about it. But he isn't the complete package yet.

Lucky
01-31-2007, 11:44 AM
McNabb is not a leader, McNabb is not a field general...... he's one heck of a QB, no doubt about it. But he isn't the complete package yet.

Signed,
Rush Limbaugh

torontooilfan
01-31-2007, 11:45 AM
It makes sense to me.

I've always thought there was a little something/something between Reid & McNabb, as far as who runs that team. Without McNabb, it looks like more of a team..... with him, it's the McNabb show. & Reid has to tip-toe around McNumbNutts.

But if this goes down, then that would tell me that T.O. was right to call McNabb out in Philly. They needed better play from the QB position, and the coach wasn't demanding anything extra from his QB. Sure McNabb got them to the NFC Championship game.... but he lost them as well. Sure, McNabb got them to the SuperBowl, but he lost it as well.

If I were Reid, I'd call Millen to see if he took his stupid pills. I swear, if I'm a Lion fan, I'd burn my jersey, anything related to that team and protest until the Fords and Millen are both gone.

Mr teX
01-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Heard on the radio this morning that rumblings out of Detroit are for the Lions to deal thier 1st round #2 overall pick to the Eagles for Donovan McNabb. It's Super Bowl week, so rumors will definitely fly.

With that rumor, one would think that the Eagles would entertain the Raider's offers for the #1 pick. The feeling in the City of Brotherly Love (aka The City of Brotherly Homicides) is that Brady Quinn along with two years of grooming under Garcia, is the best course of action for the Birds.

The knock against McNabb is that he has been to the NFC Championship four times in a row and only went to the Super Bowl once and lost it. Obviously a bum... He also seems to be injury prone. There also seems to be a very large racial element in Philly.... shhhhhhhhh! :winky:

Wow, That's absurdly unbelieveable. Folks, i think we might just be off of the sunday conversation about MW vs. RB/VY if that deal goes thru b/c the Lions/Raiders would be instant contenders if he goes to either one.

Please_Evolve
01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
It makes sense to me.

No offense bro.... i usually dig your posts...but this one....

My grip as being an Eagles fan has been this...the lack of balance in that offense. It's no secret that Andy loves the passing game and Dovonan has been one of the better passers the past 4 years. His Offense has typically been hovering around a 65-35 pass/run ratio. While the offense generates tons of big plays, like earlier this year, the lack of balance in the running game let some teams win gmaes. See the Giants game and Tampa Game.

Is it just me or is it coincidence that McNabb goes down. Marinelli Who coached Garcia in San Fran) quietly takes over the play calling from Reid infuses a legitmate running game behind a real good oline and suddently Westtbrook takes off. Westbrook is really the one who carried them down the strech to me without ANY doubt. Garcia played well don't get me wrong but Westbrook carried that offense. I see McNabb as in the same position as John Elways. Does nothing but win games...passes well..scrambles when need be to create time..but has had a lack of production from a running game.

If McNabb comes back healthy next year long with Kearse and Westbrook stays healthy all year again. Mark it down now. They will win the NFC if they keep the offense balanced and maybe solidify the Linebacking corps better. They are that good.

Any one thinking that unless you are the Patriots, Colts, Or Bengals(hey at least Palmer hasn't been Arrested yet) would pass up on McNabb. You are Crazy. There's no way anyone, unless you are in a coma, would play Garcia over McNabb.

ATX
01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
If this were true, would it benefit the Texans picking at 8 you think?

dirty steve
01-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Is it just me or is it coincidence that McNabb goes down. Marinelli Who coached Garcia in San Fran) quietly takes over the play calling from Reid infuses a legitmate running game behind a real good oline and suddently Westtbrook takes off. Westbrook is really the one who carried them down the strech to me without ANY doubt. Garcia played well don't get me wrong but Westbrook carried that offense. I see McNabb as in the same position as John Elways. Does nothing but win games...passes well..scrambles when need be to create time..but has had a lack of production from a running game.

i think you mean marty mornhinweg, the O-Coordinator of the Eagles. Rod Marinelli is coach of the Lions. Mornhinweg was Matt Millen's first hire at head coach. i remember when morninweg won the coin toss at the beginning of OT won time and decided to kick the ball.

Please_Evolve
01-31-2007, 03:25 PM
i think you mean marty mornhinweg, the O-Coordinator of the Eagles. Rod Marinelli is coach of the Lions. Mornhinweg was Matt Millen's first hire at head coach. i remember when morninweg won the coin toss at the beginning of OT won time and decided to kick the ball. du-mahs.

Ack thanks. Knew it was some Lions coach ..... lmao yeah....that was pretty classic.

thunderkyss
01-31-2007, 04:41 PM
No offense bro.... i usually dig your posts...but this one....

My grip as being an Eagles fan has been this...the lack of balance in that offense. It's no secret that Andy loves the passing game and Dovonan has been one of the better passers the past 4 years. His Offense has typically been hovering around a 65-35 pass/run ratio. While the offense generates tons of big plays, like earlier this year, the lack of balance in the running game let some teams win gmaes. See the Giants game and Tampa Game.

If McNabb comes back healthy next year long with Kearse and Westbrook stays healthy all year again. Mark it down now. They will win the NFC if they keep the offense balanced and maybe solidify the Linebacking corps better. They are that good.

Any one thinking that unless you are the Patriots, Colts, Or Bengals(hey at least Palmer hasn't been Arrested yet) would pass up on McNabb. You are Crazy. There's no way anyone, unless you are in a coma, would play Garcia over McNabb.

I'm not getting it........ sounds like you're saying the same thing as me.

With McNabb in the game, Reid is calling the plays, 65:35 pass run ratio..... IMHO that's because Reid can't reel in McNabb's ego......

Without McNabb..... it becomes a team game, with the pass opening the run, the run opening the pass, and the shifty QB providing an X-factor, just in case you called the right defense with the right personnel with the right reads....

What team wouldn't trade for McNabb?? don't ask me, I doubt there is a team that would turn that down.

What team would keep Garcia in lieu of McNabb.... again...... I don't believe the report....

But I do think Reid "let's" McNabb walk all over him, & it isn't working for McNabb as well as it's working for............say...... Peyton Manning.

Someone should have called out McNabb & his play along time ago...... no doubt, he plays very well........ but even he needs to take it to another level. I'm not talking about his ball placement, or the ball distribution...I mean keeping his lunch down during the SuperBowl might have been that extra step I'm talking about.

cuppacoffee
01-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Sez it here too. (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/31/donovan-mcnabb-to-the-lions)

:coffee:

Lucky
01-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Sez it here too. (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/31/donovan-mcnabb-to-the-lions)
OK, so it's something Jim Carty of the Ann Arbor News pulled out of his arse.

cuppacoffee
01-31-2007, 06:44 PM

OK, so it's something Jim Carty of the Ann Arbor News pulled out of his arse.

..:shoot:..Don't shoot the messenger. :hunter:

I find it hard to believe myself.

jgl35
01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
McNabb tonight said that there is no, repeat no truth to any of the rumors that are going around. TV news tonight. He has not asked to be traded, He understands it is a team rule that players on IR do not go with the team to away games.
Put this to rest. McNabb is the QB of the Phila. Eagles as long as Andy Reid is the coach.

HOU-TEX
02-01-2007, 10:10 AM
McNabb tonight said that there is no, repeat no truth to any of the rumors that are going around. TV news tonight. He has not asked to be traded, He understands it is a team rule that players on IR do not go with the team to away games.
Put this to rest. McNabb is the QB of the Phila. Eagles as long as Andy Reid is the coach.

I remember Nick Saban saying something similar about the Alabama job as well. I'm not saying there's any truth to it, I'm just saying...:winky:

yourfavoritetexan42
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
It would make things a lot more interesting in the NFC. I kind of would like to see McNabb for another team...to see how he would do. Ultimately I would like to see him as a Texan... but yes I know that would never happen.

I think everyone saw that the Eagles have been a good team the past 5+ years, not a team that was carried by McNabb.

Lucky
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
I remember Nick Saban saying something similar about the Alabama job as well. I'm not saying there's any truth to it, I'm just saying...:winky:
Wink on. Those are two completely different situations. There were anonymous sources inside the Alabama football program who were telling reporters that Saban was still in play for the head coach job. The McNabb "rumor" is from a bored, small town columnist who made up a trade in his mind.

Brazos-V
02-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Rumors pop up all the time, but word is McNabb may go to the Lions for their first pick.

Would you guys do the same thing? Just curious because I have read a few posts with you guys wanting Vick at times.

Here's the link (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/31/donovan-mcnabb-to-the-lions/)

TexanSam
02-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't. Had this been the only season McNabb has gotten hurt, then yes. But he's been hurt consistently for the last two seasons.

thunderkyss
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Rumors pop up all the time, but word is McNabb may go to the Lions for their first pick.

Would you guys do the same thing? Just curious because I have read a few posts with you guys wanting Vick at times.

Here's the link (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/31/donovan-mcnabb-to-the-lions/)

I wouldn't want Vick or McNabb on this team.

gtexan02
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM

I'll probably get a lot of disagreements for this, but:

Absolutely.

He fits the style of offense perfectly.
He has great mobility and pocket presence and footwork.
Only Tom Brady and McNabb are pure distributing QBs who can work with just about any WR
He has a great arm, great accuracy, and great field vision

And most importantly, he seems like he really enjoys himself when playing. People in Philly have criticized his leadership ability, but if he was givne a change of scenery, I think he would definiately rebound.

No matter who you pick in the draft, no matter how much hype, there is always a level of unsurement (is that a word?). "How will they do in the NFL? Will their game translate?"

When getting a player of proven talent, there is none of that unsureness.
We'd know exactly what we were getting.

Rookie contracts are already out of hand, and so giving one to an unproven player is always a little risky. It'd be great to take that same money and put it into a guaranteed investment.

gtexan02
02-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't want Vick or McNabb on this team.

I'm a little surprised that ANYONE would put either of these two QBs in the same sentence. Their games couldn't be more different. McNabb is a west coast pass first QB, whereas Vick is a running back who gets the snap every time.

kastofsna
02-05-2007, 01:03 PM
just one of those rumors.

thunderkyss
02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm a little surprised that ANYONE would put either of these two QBs in the same sentence. Their games couldn't be more different. McNabb is a west coast pass first QB, whereas Vick is a running back who gets the snap every time.

I wouldn't want Vick on this team. I wouldn't want McNabb on this team.

Is that better??