PDA

View Full Version : Refs Admit Blown Call

infantrycak
01-27-2007, 08:44 AM
The NFL has admitted that it was wrong when Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs was flagged for pass interference on Reggie Wayne in New England’s AFC Championship Game loss to Indianapolis last Sunday. The call ultimately led to the tying score for the Colts, who advanced to the Super Bowl with a 38-34 victory.

On the play — second-and-7 from the Pats’ 19-yard line — Hobbs was face-guarding Wayne in the back left corner of the end zone. The pass from Peyton Manning hit Hobbs on the back of his left arm, and after the game the second-year corner, who combined with Asante Samuel to give a great effort on Pro Bowl players Wayne and Marvin Harrison, said he never touched his man.

But the flag was thrown, and pass interference is not one of the calls that coaches can challenge. Indy got first-and-goal from the one, and on the next play Manning found wide-open former Patriot Dan Klecko for a touchdown. The Colts also made a two-point conversion to tie the game, 21-21.

Link (http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats27_01-27-07_6R44Q97.17a4fe8.html)

Not that I had a dog in the fight, but I was yelling at the screen when that hankie flew. Potentially a game changing call and it was crystal clear Hobbs never touched Wayne.

HoustonFrog
01-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Link (http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats27_01-27-07_6R44Q97.17a4fe8.html)

Not that I had a dog in the fight, but I was yelling at the screen when that hankie flew. Potentially a game changing call and it was crystal clear Hobbs never touched Wayne.

I never got that call. I don't care if his head wasn't turned..he never touched him and it was a good play. A little easier to score from 1st and goal than 3rd down from the 19.

Kaiser Toro
01-27-2007, 08:48 AM

The call easily makes up for past non calls in the playoffs going in favor of the Pats.

GP
01-27-2007, 09:28 AM
The call easily makes up for past non calls in the playoffs going in favor of the Pats.

Preach it.

I completely agree.

The tuck rule? Gimme' a break.

ATX
01-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh great....so the NFL is gonna start making up for missed calls in the past like the NBA.

sixfour
01-27-2007, 12:28 PM
That's why you fight so hard for home field. It has its advantages.

ATX
01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
That's why you fight so hard for home field. It has its advantages.

But should it? Personally I don't think it should in that kind of way. Tarnishes the integrity of the game if you ask me.

Please_Evolve
01-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Preach it.

I completely agree.

The tuck rule? Gimme' a break.

That was my immediate thought.

Titan "Tack" Fan
01-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I thought it was a horrible call. I thought Hobbs played it perfectly. It was just a good football play.

ThaShark316
01-27-2007, 12:38 PM
The calls the Colts cried about in 2003 and 2004 are the reason why the nfl is so damn weak now...can't even look at these WRs...so terrible.

sixfour
01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
But should it? Personally I don't think it should in that kind of way. Tarnishes the integrity of the game if you ask me.

No, I don't think it should. The reality is it's like that in every sport, the home team gets questionable calls in their favor. JMO

sixfour
01-27-2007, 12:49 PM
The calls the Colts cried about in 2003 and 2004 are the reason why the nfl is so damn weak now...can't even look at these WRs...so terrible.

WR's!! You can't even think of touching the QB anymore. They have made that the most girlie position in all of pro sports.

ATX
01-27-2007, 12:53 PM
No, I don't think it should. The reality is it's like that in every sport, the home team gets questionable calls in their favor. JMO

No doubt, just as long as it doesn't turn into the NBA style of officiating.

HoustonFrog
01-27-2007, 12:53 PM

Except for the NBA where it is just up to D. Stern who he likes.:)

Red_Zone
01-27-2007, 01:26 PM
What did you guys think of the call for the Patriots touchdown when it appeared to many that the receivers feet were out of bounds before he went up for the ball and then was pushed out?

From the angle I saw it looked to me as if he was out of bounds before he went up to catch the ball which would have nullified the touchdown. The call that he was "pushed out" after catching the ball was correct but if he were OoB before it wouldn't matter.

ATX
01-27-2007, 01:31 PM
What did you guys think of the call for the Patriots touchdown when it appeared to many that the receivers feet were out of bounds before he went up for the ball and then was pushed out?

From the angle I saw it looked to me as if he was out of bounds before he went up to catch the ball which would have nullified the touchdown. The call that he was "pushed out" after catching the ball was correct but if he were OoB before it wouldn't matter.

There's a good angle where you can see Gafney with his heels off the ground above the line, while his toes were inbounds. From every other angle it looked like he was on the line, but the angle I mentioned shows him inbounds.

Red_Zone
01-27-2007, 01:46 PM
There's a good angle where you can see Gafney with his heels off the ground above the line, while his toes were inbounds. From every other angle it looked like he was on the line, but the angle I mentioned shows him inbounds.

Ok then I'll take your word on that, I never got to see that angle. Thanks for the info.

ColtsFan in CA
01-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Soooo Vic Ketchum of Jags.com says a league source admitted it but the NFL has not issued a statement.
I think hold off on anything considering the source.

The ref never called Face Guarding...Phil Simms did.
The ref called PI.

HoustonFrog
01-27-2007, 02:11 PM

I saw the angle alot too. It was a legit play and his heels were off the line.

Double Barrel
01-27-2007, 02:49 PM
So now detractors can say Manning is in the Super Bowl because of a bunk penalty, just like they do with Tom Brady. :stirpot:

jerek
01-27-2007, 03:34 PM

Karma justice, but very true. I too couldn't really care who won that game, but it was a garbage call.

TwinSisters
01-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Soooo Vic Ketchum of Jags.com says a league source admitted it but the NFL has not issued a statement.
I think hold off on anything considering the source.

har har, Vic is a pud.

Forget about that though... I don't need the NFL or a pud to tell me that was a bad call. That was a bad call. No, that was a really bad call.

Still that call is never going to reach the level of the tuck rule. It was 2nd and 7 and if the call goes the way it "shoulda", then the Colts still have two downs or more to punch it in. It's not like the Patriots were looking all that stiff at that point in the game.

The Brady Tuck play was completely different. The Raiders recovered the ball and the Patriots were walking off the field in defeat... then comes the replay official to change the natural course of the NFL forever.

ColtsFan in CA
01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
har har, Vic is a pud.

Forget about that though... I don't need the NFL or a pud to tell me that was a bad call. That was a bad call. No, that was a really bad call.

Still that call is never going to reach the level of the tuck rule. It was 2nd and 7 and if the call goes the way it "shoulda", then the Colts still have two downs or more to punch it in. It's not like the Patriots were looking all that stiff at that point in the game.

The Brady Tuck play was completely different. The Raiders recovered the ball and the Patriots were walking off the field in defeat... then comes the replay official to change the natural course of the NFL forever.
It was a BAD call....but do I feel bad about it? Not in the least.
Karma is a ***** :highfive:

Revolution
01-28-2007, 08:14 AM
I saw the angle alot too. It was a legit play and his heels were off the line.

At some point his heels had to be on the line, didn't they? Or does Gaffney just run on the balls of his feet?

TheCD
01-28-2007, 09:03 AM

It does seem that way, but face-guarding has been around for a long time. If you go back and check out some of the old Super Bowl's, it was called back then to.

I disagree with the PI being called, but in my opinion, the face-guarding could have gone either way. The penalty is generally called when the defensive player puts his hand in the receiver's face to keep him from seeing the ball, and it was Hobbs helment that was in the way.

But I agree with you guys though, he didn't guard him, just good coverage.

mike moffat
01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Dude what do you mean Karma is a *****? The Colt's always get calls in their favor. Any big game the Colt's have won has always had some controversial calls by the refs. The karma is gonna be when the Colt's get their @$$e$ handed to them by the Bears.

Here's you're crying towel.....:crying:
Now it's "any big game".
The Colt's were taking it to the Pats. Give Manning credit. He overcame the biggest deficit in championship game history to win the game. I've seen the same call called probably 10 times or more during the season in several games. That's just the way it is.
You must be drinking way too much Koolaid....
The Colts are going to spank the @$$e$ of Da Bears.
Won't even be close.:stirpot:

gwallaia
01-28-2007, 09:18 AM
If Karma is a factor in getting bad calls. The Pittsburgh Steelers are still waiting for a doozy.

ColtsFan in CA
01-28-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/01/28/nfl_hobbs_call_was_correct/

By Mike Reiss and Ron Borges, Globe Staff | January 28, 2007

NFL vice president of communications Greg Aiello clarified remarks regarding the pass interference call against Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs in the third quarter of the AFC Championship game.

The penalty -- which came on a second and 7 from the Patriots' 19-yard line -- gave the Colts a first down at the 1, and they subsequently scored, and made a 2-point conversion, to tie the score at 21-21.

Aiello said the penalty was the correct call because there was contact made by Hobbs. Had Hobbs not made contact, there should have been no penalty called for "face-guarding," which was the explanation given by CBS announcer Phil Simms.

"There is no such thing as face-guarding," Aiello said. "There must be contact to have a foul."

After the game, Hobbs said he had not made contact.

"I never touched him and the ball hit me in the back of the arm," Hobbs said.

ColtsFan in CA
01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm not crying my man I'm not a fan of either teams. As a TRUE Texan fan I'm not giving Manning credit for anything. Plus on this sight I shouldn't have to defend myself against saying how I feel about Manning. I think you're drinking too much blue kool-aid. The thread started as the refs admitting it was a bad call so that should tell you about your boy and the calls he gets away with.:hairpull:

The NFL says it was the correct call...

lemme post it again

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...l_was_correct/

Quote:
By Mike Reiss and Ron Borges, Globe Staff | January 28, 2007

NFL vice president of communications Greg Aiello clarified remarks regarding the pass interference call against Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs in the third quarter of the AFC Championship game.

The penalty -- which came on a second and 7 from the Patriots' 19-yard line -- gave the Colts a first down at the 1, and they subsequently scored, and made a 2-point conversion, to tie the score at 21-21.

Aiello said the penalty was the correct call because there was contact made by Hobbs. Had Hobbs not made contact, there should have been no penalty called for "face-guarding," which was the explanation given by CBS announcer Phil Simms.

"There is no such thing as face-guarding," Aiello said. "There must be contact to have a foul."

After the game, Hobbs said he had not made contact.

"I never touched him and the ball hit me in the back of the arm," Hobbs said.

infantrycak
01-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Well then Aiello is covering up because there was no contact. Hobbs jumped up in front of Wayne with his arms and hands extended up. The closest part of his body was his chest and it did not impact Wayne.

mike moffat
01-28-2007, 11:27 PM
That's what I saw as well. But we obviously got some Manning lover's who don't have anything else to do but try to cover for him like ESPN and every other person on his jock wants to do.

I too, am a Texan fan. I'll show you my Texan tattoo if you show me yours. I do have one.

But, I can admit to the fact that Manning is a pretty decent QB. We should be so lucky. And, it's not blue Koolaid.....It's Colorado Koolaid. :aikido:

ColtsFan in CA
01-28-2007, 11:56 PM
That's what I saw as well. But we obviously got some Manning lover's who don't have anything else to do but try to cover for him like ESPN and every other person on his jock wants to do.

I am sorry but reading is fundamental...

It was a BAD call....but do I feel bad about it? Not in the least.

What am I covering up...I said it was a bad call geesh...take off the hater glasses and process my posts.

DomDavis
01-29-2007, 12:43 AM
It's a funny thing how much of these admitted blown calls end up favoring the Colts... see the ridiculous overturned Polamalu INT in the playoffs last season. Combine that with the NFL completely changing the rules after their whining two and three years ago, and there's the answer as to why so many people hate the Colts. Special treatment, anyone?

TexansLucky13
01-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Once again the Patriots are denied advancement in the playoffs due to the officiating crew. Congratulations NFL.

Colts Addict
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
It's a funny thing how much of these admitted blown calls end up favoring the Colts... see the ridiculous overturned Polamalu INT in the playoffs last season. Combine that with the NFL completely changing the rules after their whining two and three years ago, and there's the answer as to why so many people hate the Colts. Special treatment, anyone?

Wow... conspiracy, eh? Give me a break. The one interception was said to be the wrong call, which I agree with. Now, this call being talked about in the thread was said to be the correct call...(by the NFL, forget what Vic says) in addition to the fact that if you did your homework you would realize that the rules were NOT changed, but in fact, enforced. The rules have been there for a very very long time. Top that with the fact that it wasn't the Colts/Polian that brought it up in front of the competition committee but another coach (I will let you look that up, its easy to find, as its fact) and there goes your whole entire theory of 'how much' goes our way and the 'rules we had changed'. This other coach brought hours and hours of tape, documenting what was happening, asking for the rules already in existence, be enforced. Guess it just doesn't sound as good that way... must have been a conspiracy... easier to swallow that way? :scare: