PDA

View Full Version : Fred Weary Lawsuit

TheCD
01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Per SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/27/bc.fbn.texans.weary.ap/index.html)

HOUSTON (AP) -- Houston Texans' Fred Weary is threatening to sue the city if it doesn't comply with his requests stemming from a November arrest in which he was shot with a Taser gun.

Weary said Friday that he has sent a letter to Mayor Bill White and Police Chief Harold Hurtt asking for a public apology from the two police officers involved in the incident. He also is asking for monetary compensation and that the city review its policies regarding racial profiling and the use of Taser guns.

"I'm in a position to fight this and I plan on fighting it to the end," Weary told Houston television station KRIV. "It wasn't right. None of the actions by the two officers was justifiable."

White spokesman Frank Michel said he couldn't comment on possible litigation.

The officers said they stopped the offensive lineman because he didn't have a front license plate and was driving "suspiciously." A misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest was later dismissed because of insufficient evidence.

Joe Walker, Weary's attorney, said the lineman could seek as much as $250,000 from the city.

"Let me make it real clear. If we don't get a response within 90 days, we tee it up. We're going down to the courthouse and file a lawsuit," he said.

Sorry if this has been posted already, hadn't seen it anywhere.

Kaiser Toro
01-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Way to go Fred, stand up for what it is right.

Yankee_In_TX
01-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I can only imagine what the cop's car video would reveal. They'd better apologize!

edo783
01-27-2007, 08:41 AM
The way it seems to have gone down, he should sue them.

alphajoker
01-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Hmmm, let's see...$250,000 or an apology? I hope the HPD is smart enough to make the right choice. Especially when it's obvious that those two police officers were clearly in the wrong.

Texans_Chick
01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
My take is here:

Link (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/27/fred-weary-wants-an-apology-money-and-more/)

Arky
01-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm really glad Weary is doing this.

No telling how many times something like this happens and the victim/defendant/accused/whatever just doesn't have the resources to fight City Hall...

2BCF
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
I can only imagine what the cop's car video would reveal. They'd better apologize!

That video shows the truth.
If it's as the officer stated and he didn't comply and was advancing toward her, Weary should be the one apologizing.
If you break the law, no front plates, etc., you break the law. Stop whining about being "profiled" and move on.
I've been pulled over before for not having a front license plate, but I never challenged the officer by continuing to walk toward the officer when told to stop.
Weary's demands are ridiculous. With crime as bad as it is now, the police do not need any more restrictions, just the opposite.

gsbtxn
01-27-2007, 11:11 AM
If it's as the officer stated and he didn't comply and was advancing toward her, Weary should be the one apologizing.
If you break the law, no front plates, etc., you break the law. Stop whining about being "profiled" and move on.
I've been pulled over before for not having a front license plate, but I never challenged the officer by continuing to walk toward the officer when told to stop.
Weary's demands are ridiculous. With crime as bad as it is now, the police do not need any more restrictions, just the opposite.

Have you seen said video? The rest of your post seems to imply that you have. Or are you profiling as well?

SamuraiSword
01-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Her who is her?

BTW An officer said to me one time it doesn't matter if you have a front license plate. I believe him because in Houston I see many vehicles without front license plates. I think the officer was doing his usual profiling.

gtexan02
01-27-2007, 11:30 AM
First, I think Weary is right. Good for him for making a big deal of this.

HOWEVER, if he sues Houston and keeps the money, shame on him. This guy makes millions and millions and is looking to get even more. I hope he donates it to racial profiling education or to charities aiding minorities or the like.

Lucky
01-27-2007, 12:33 PM
BTW An officer said to me one time it doesn't matter if you have a front license plate. I believe him because in Houston I see many vehicles without front license plates.
Don't believe him. Here's the law (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf).

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
6. LICENSE PLATES—must have one valid plate at the front and one at the rear of passenger and commercial vehicles except dealer plates and those commercial vehicles that are only issued one license plate.

ATX
01-27-2007, 12:50 PM
I remember reading somewhere that having a front license plate adds the distance in which a speed gun can clock your speed. Stupid law IMO, out of state cars don't have to have a front license plate here.

Texans Horror
01-27-2007, 01:17 PM

HOWEVER, if he sues Houston and keeps the money, shame on him. This guy makes millions and millions and is looking to get even more. I hope he donates it to racial profiling education or to charities aiding minorities or the like.

First, from what I read, it sounds like the goal is the apology, not the money. The money is there only if teh apology is not made.

Second, I am sure Fred makes enough without needing to "exploit" Houston. I don't know his exact salary, but I'm guessing it's not a wanton amount of millions. It's probably more along the line of 1.5 spread over a few years. On the one hand, more than you or I will see in a lifetime, but on the other hand, if he has trouble making the starting team in part because of this trouble - and he is playing for a team that values character - then he has every right to sue.

Fred isn't doing anything most people wouldn't do, but it seems to me he's doing it for the right reasons.

Tyr
01-27-2007, 01:21 PM
BTW An officer said to me one time it doesn't matter if you have a front license plate. I believe him because in Houston I see many vehicles without front license plates. I think the officer was doing his usual profiling.

It is the law and cops will pull you over if they want to. Yes, most cops don't seem to worry about the front plates due to so many cars not using them. I had a Sherrif run me down on the Beltway a couple of years back solely because I didn't have a front plate. This is after 8 years of having my vehicle and never having a front plate. May not happen often, but eventually you find an officer that will do it.

I don't know the specifics so I do want to speculate. However, Weary did not have a front license plate on his car so therefore WAS breaking the law, they had the right to pull him over. What happened after that? I can't say but I do feel Tasering was a little over the top but officers are taught to defend themselves if they are advanced on. So it may or may not be a legitimate suit. My personal opinion, both the officer and Weary made mistakes in this instance.

The Pencil Neck
01-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Don't believe him. Here's the law (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf).

I knew a guy that drove around Texas for 5 years with expired out of state plates and no front plate. I lived here (in Texas) for a year and a half with expired California plates and then moved to Pennsylvania before getting new ones. I don't think I had a front plate for that time in Texas. (I can't remember, but I don't think you have to have front plates in Cali.)

IIRC, it's also a law that all non-residential buildings in Houston have hitching posts in front of them.

Many laws are not enforced.

vtech9
01-27-2007, 02:07 PM
It is the law and cops will pull you over if they want to. Yes, most cops don't seem to worry about the front plates due to so many cars not using them. I had a Sherrif run me down on the Beltway a couple of years back solely because I didn't have a front plate. This is after 8 years of having my vehicle and never having a front plate. May not happen often, but eventually you find an officer that will do it.

I don't know the specifics so I do want to speculate. However, Weary did not have a front license plate on his car so therefore WAS breaking the law, they had the right to pull him over. What happened after that? I can't say but I do feel Tasering was a little over the top but officers are taught to defend themselves if they are advanced on. So it may or may not be a legitimate suit. My personal opinion, both the officer and Weary made mistakes in this instance.

Does Weary have Texas plates? Does he live in Texas year round? If he holds a residence in another state, has registered plates from that state, and that state doesn't require a front plate, he is not required to have a front plate while in Texas. However, if he holds a residence in Texas and lives in Texas longer than 6 months out of the year, he is required to have Texas plates, and have them displayed on both the front and back of his vehicle.

Double Barrel
01-27-2007, 02:20 PM

If it doesn't 'magically' disappear first.

Good for Fred. Stand up for what is right! :aikido:

HJam72
01-27-2007, 02:21 PM
I did get a ticket in Galveston once for not having a front license plate on an 83 Trans-Am. The front license plate thing is a stupid law, if you ask me, but it does exist.

The guy got tasered and I really doubt it was necessary, but that's about all I can say.

Yankee_In_TX
01-27-2007, 03:15 PM

*massive edit*

I've been a first hand witness MANY times to what jerks who are on ticket patrol from HPD can be. I'd tend to side with Fred on this one.

TwinSisters
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Hmmm.

Maybe we should ban TASERS! Ban everything.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16836206/?GT1=8921
This story is really popular right now too... some guy pulls out a taser in anger and socks it to his wife's over eager 79 year old grandmother.

Taser control.
No smoking.
No guns.
No nukes.
No drinking.
No sex until marriage.
No more crying about drafting Mario Williams.
No trans fats.
No little lady cops that need to use tasers for equal employment opportunities.

outside of the civil rights complaints of Fred, I am glad he got tasered. He needed it. Basically hoggin a roster spot from somebody that could at least pretend to block for the past 5 years. Big cap eating lummox.

Maybe instead of using Pavlov's Dog Theory on Carr to fix the line, Kubiak should take a cue from this taser lesson. You know, dig down deep into his agarian roots and pull out a few cattle prods. Everytime Fred misses an assignment... just lay into him with the shock therapy.

You know it will at least get his attention.

sixfour
01-27-2007, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=The Pencil Neck;583805]
IIRC, it's also a law that all non-residential buildings in Houston have hitching posts in front of them.

Texas is always good for a laugh.

tex
01-28-2007, 05:18 AM
BTW An officer said to me one time it doesn't matter if you have a front license plate..

I have a friend that is a policeman and he said in Texas you have to have a front and back license plate.

HomeBred_Texan
01-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Much ado about nothing...

We are the ones who will have to pay the penalty either way you look at it. The city could use that 1/4 of a million on something else instead of paying a millionaire some chump change...

I wish they would pick me to be on that jury... $1 dollar in damages, now let's move on...

SamuraiSword
01-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I have a friend that is a policeman and he said in Texas you have to have a front and back license plate.

hmmmm guess that cop was a rookie then.

SamuraiSword
01-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Hmmm.

Maybe we should ban TASERS! Ban everything.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16836206/?GT1=8921
This story is really popular right now too... some guy pulls out a taser in anger and socks it to his wife's over eager 79 year old grandmother.

Taser control.
No smoking.
No guns.
No nukes.
No drinking.
No sex until marriage.
No more crying about drafting Mario Williams.
No trans fats.
No little lady cops that need to use tasers for equal employment opportunities.

outside of the civil rights complaints of Fred, I am glad he got tasered. He needed it. Basically hoggin a roster spot from somebody that could at least pretend to block for the past 5 years. Big cap eating lummox.

Maybe instead of using Pavlov's Dog Theory on Carr to fix the line, Kubiak should take a cue from this taser lesson. You know, dig down deep into his agarian roots and pull out a few cattle prods. Everytime Fred misses an assignment... just lay into him with the shock therapy.

You know it will at least get his attention.

Yeah every righteous person wants to ban everything. They all live in California..:stirpot:

So why such an anger towards weary? I think someone needs a taser or two......:bowser:

2BCF
01-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah every righteous person wants to ban everything. They all live in California..:stirpot:

So why such an anger towards weary?

I think it's because Weary is too stupid or arrogant to realize the obvious, he only has himself to blame.
If he had complied with the officer and not proceeded to walk toward him/her, he would never have been tasered.

He assumes he was singled out due to race, instead of taking responsibility that he broke the law.
The whole, "I'm a victim" mentality doesn't sit well with most Texans.
He should be grateful he was just tasered, if this had happened in 1977 they would have used bullets.

eriadoc
01-28-2007, 05:42 PM

At the rate our government is disregarding and infringing upon American citizens' rights and freedoms, police need as much oversight as possible. This country's government was founded on the principle of checks and balances. The only people that perform oversight on the cops are other cops (IA). It's a travesty that needs to be corrected. If it comes out that the cop was in the right in this particular case, then hooray and Weary needs to apologize to her and the city. If it comes out the other way, then the reverse should happen. This attitude that the cops need to be above the law is absurd and absolutely dangerous thinking.

Yankee_In_TX
01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Among my many HPD compaints I've been a part of an internal affairs investigation because I watched a cop manhandle some late teen bratty kids because they didn't apologize to another table they accidentally hit with a napkin when kid A was trying to throw it at kid B.

Wow, you're right! If they had listened to the officer they wouldn't have gotten what they deserved! :stirpot: If only he had a taser he wouldn't have had to choke one and slam the other against a wall!

Your argument doesn't hold water. Sadly there are HPD officers with chips on their shoulders, and they need to be curtailed.

TexansBull
01-28-2007, 10:07 PM
This is ridiculous. This just shows how arrogant he is and how he is using his color to take advantage of the situation. Especially bringing out Quanell X whom harbors criminals for his own interests.

If a cop pulls you over its for a reason. Do what they say and nothing will happen. If he has a chip on his shoulder, take his badge number and report him/her. That is the checks and balances. No one is above the law, not even NFL players.

If you dont like laws, tough. Go live somewhere else. Its the price we pay to live in the greatest nation on earth. There are stupid laws on the books to protect us. Idiots have 5 kids to a smart person's one. And when an ***** gets on the road smokin pot or drinkin and drivin, guess what? They need a stupid law like the license plate on the front or light illuminating the license plate to pull those idiots over to get them off the road. If you are mistakingly pulled over, dont go ape **** nuts that you are victim of racism. Seriously, be smarter than that Fred.

Racial profiling. Is America really that soft and sensitive? This is why we have to frisk 80 year old white women instead of the 5 guys behind you that look Mullah Omar, the Shoe Bomber, and bin Laden in line at Bush InterContinental. If I fit the description of a criminal and they pull me over because of it, good. Atleast they are out there, risking there lives for me trying to get dangerous people off the road.

And while I am ranting I will share a story about Fred. He was at a Pearland mechanic, didnt want to wait for his vehicle to be serviced because he was "Fred Weary." Then thought the price was too high, and when it got fixed he stiffed the mechanic $80. $80. He makes more in a year than what it will take some of us in a lifetime. Way to go Fred.

And yall know what else? These civil servants put their lives on the line for bad pay and get disrespected when they try to do their job. They protect us similiar to the way soldiers do.Thier job may not be as risky, but respect the badge and what they do. They are not out there to cause us headaches. Protect and serve is what they do. IF they did something wrong, they should own up to it. But dont try to profit from it for your own selfish reasons.

I think I am through...

eriadoc
01-28-2007, 11:40 PM
No one is above the law, not even cops.

There. Fixed that for you.

run-david-run
01-29-2007, 01:54 AM

The fact the case was thrown out shows just how right the officers where in stopping him, right? Also, the police report claimed they followed him for several miles before pulling him over...just wondering, how could they see he didnt have a FRONT liscense plate? This cases stinks of DWB, and as much as we hate to admit it, racial profilling is very much a part of our society.

TwinSisters
01-29-2007, 02:12 AM

So why such an anger towards weary? I think someone needs a taser or two......:bowser:

I don't know? I was just trying to work some football into it.

There are a lot of undertones in this particular case and that makes it interesting.

Let me try again...

I don't know what Fred is complaining about? I mean back in the day, a brother would've gotten lynched or jailed for years on end for looking at the policemen wrong. Look at Ledbetter. Then came the era of just getting your teeth knocked out or even shot, because the police got tired of dragging you back to the station to violate your civil rights in private. Look at LA. Knowadays you just get tasered by a woman.

That's progress.

Sorta like how a 6-10 season is great and MUCH better then any other losing season.

tex
01-29-2007, 05:18 AM
hmmmm guess that cop was a rookie then.

Try ATF

vtech9
01-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Profiling? Racial or otherwise, is alive and happens everday in the US. For example...My brother's oldest boy is 14 and slightly retarded. My brother's son was getting picked on by a kid that lived down the street. My brother went down to talk to the kids dad to try and get the kid to stop, but the guy was drunk and went off on my brother. He started threatening my brother, and actually swung and knocked my brother's hat off and threatened to hit him with a baseball bat. My brother was afraid to turn his back on this guy because he was out of control. I had been watching and walked up so my brother could move away safely.

Once at a safe distance, my brother called to cops to file a complaint. Now, my brother isn't a small guy. He is 6'-2" and weighs about 285. The other guy is about 5'-9" and weighs about 165. The thing is, my brother is disabled, and can barely walk, and then only with a cane. When the cop came, he saw my brothers size and immediately took a defensive position and treated my brother like a threat. The cop would not listen to my brothers story, even though my brother was the one that called. The cop talked the other guy into filing charges against my brother, and then gave my brother a ticket for disturbing the peace. My brother never raised his voice one single time, but the other guy was yelling and cussing so loud that you could here him clear down the street. The guy even threatened me, yet nothing happened to him, but my brother gets the ticket.

So, you saying that Weary was wrong, and that he wasn't a target of profiling, is ridiculous. Unless you were there, you have no clue what actually happened. Unless you were there, all you can do is guess what happened based on what you have heard others say.

Let me ask you a question. Where you there when Weary stiffed the mechanic? Do you know if there was a reason for it? I have stiffed a mechanic before and I will do so again if they do what this guy tried to do. This mechanic tried to charge me for something that I didn't authorize him to do, so I refused to pay for it. He threatened to call the police on me, so I told him to go for it. He didn't call, because he knew he was wrong. How do you know that something like this didn't happen to Weary? My point is that you shouldn't jump to conclusions if you don't know the whole story.

TopTexanFan16
01-31-2007, 08:10 AM
The fact the case was thrown out shows just how right the officers where in stopping him, right? Also, the police report claimed they followed him for several miles before pulling him over...just wondering, how could they see he didnt have a FRONT liscense plate? This cases stinks of DWB, and as much as we hate to admit it, racial profilling is very much a part of our society.

Um i dunno maybe when he passed them as they were sitting and waiting for an excuse to pull someone over.....its just a wild guess.

I actually had a friend get pulled over and ticketed in Dallas for doin 71 in a 70......of course it was thrown out but it goes to show some cops just wanna be jerks. not all of course......i guess i see it as another reason to hate the cowgirls, and dallas.

StarStruck
01-31-2007, 08:31 AM
I am on the side of truth. If Weary did everything the police officers said that he did, and handled himself in a manner that caused the officers to feel threatened, then he should receive a fine and that should settle it.

On the otherhand, if the officers were over zealous, and agressive in their handling of Weary, and if he first only asked for an apology, it should be forthcoming. If not, and he decides to sue, then so be it. The amount asked doesn't seem unreasonable to me if what he says happened did indeed happen. Whatever his actual damages were should be paid as well as punitive. It isn't in my opinion what he can afford or what he should or should not do with the money, it is about laws in place to compensate money damages as a way to punish the offender. If the officers are guilty, then they deserve punishment. Ouch, maybe I will think twice about my behavior before doing it again. Why, if wrong, is an apology so hard, at least that was the first option?

Texans Horror
01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Fred should have been pulled over. He was driving very suspiciously. First, he slowed down when he saw the cops. Then, he looked at the cop car. These are horrible things. Who on Earth, if they thought they were speeding and saw a cop car, would slow down and look at the cop to see what would happen? When the car followed, he looked back to see what was going on. This again, makes no sense. Why would anybody look back at a patrol car if they thought they were being followed by it?

:sarcasm:

Fred should stand up for his rights and the rights of every other person who is pulled over. I think it's great that he's doing it. Police and police procedure should be reviewed and rewritten as need be.

It doesn't matter how far we've come as a society in terms of race relations and law enforcement, there is always room for improvement.

jerek
01-31-2007, 09:05 AM
I'll withhold judgment until I've seen this tape, since all of the "evidence" we have at this point seems to be hearsay.

It isn't unthinkable that the officers acted inappropriately and should be punished accordingly. It also isn't unthinkable that Fred acted foolishly and was met with force, however unfortunately, within the realm of legal procedure and reason. Finally, it isn't unthinkable that both parties shared some blame in the matter.

Racial profiling is a deeply regrettable expression of ignorance and hate, but impropriety or failure to follow procedure doesn't have to arise out of racism. Given the posts here, many people seem to assume automatically that it does.

texans83
01-31-2007, 09:39 AM
This is ridiculous. This just shows how arrogant he is and how he is using his color to take advantage of the situation. Especially bringing out Quanell X whom harbors criminals for his own interests.

If a cop pulls you over its for a reason. Do what they say and nothing will happen. If he has a chip on his shoulder, take his badge number and report him/her. That is the checks and balances. No one is above the law, not even NFL players.

If you dont like laws, tough. Go live somewhere else. Its the price we pay to live in the greatest nation on earth. There are stupid laws on the books to protect us. Idiots have 5 kids to a smart person's one. And when an ***** gets on the road smokin pot or drinkin and drivin, guess what? They need a stupid law like the license plate on the front or light illuminating the license plate to pull those idiots over to get them off the road. If you are mistakingly pulled over, dont go ape **** nuts that you are victim of racism. Seriously, be smarter than that Fred.

Racial profiling. Is America really that soft and sensitive? This is why we have to frisk 80 year old white women instead of the 5 guys behind you that look Mullah Omar, the Shoe Bomber, and bin Laden in line at Bush InterContinental. If I fit the description of a criminal and they pull me over because of it, good. Atleast they are out there, risking there lives for me trying to get dangerous people off the road.

And while I am ranting I will share a story about Fred. He was at a Pearland mechanic, didnt want to wait for his vehicle to be serviced because he was "Fred Weary." Then thought the price was too high, and when it got fixed he stiffed the mechanic $80. $80. He makes more in a year than what it will take some of us in a lifetime. Way to go Fred.

And yall know what else? These civil servants put their lives on the line for bad pay and get disrespected when they try to do their job. They protect us similiar to the way soldiers do.Thier job may not be as risky, but respect the badge and what they do. They are not out there to cause us headaches. Protect and serve is what they do. IF they did something wrong, they should own up to it. But dont try to profit from it for your own selfish reasons.

I think I am through...

I agree but I was not there to see if he stiffed the mechanic if it is true and if the michanic did nothing wrong then I think that is horrible. I cant stand celeb. and how they think they are better then you or me. It just dosent make any sense. But if I was Fred then I would have deff not have ever approched the officer.

TexansSeminole
01-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Given the posts here, many people seem to assume automatically that it does.

It's not all about race with HPD. They will mess with anybody for any reason.

Weary reminds them that they are not ABOVE the law because they are supposed to UPHOLD the law.

jerek
01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
It's not all about race with HPD. They will mess with anybody for any reason.

Weary reminds them that they are not ABOVE the law because they are supposed to UPHOLD the law.

My personal experiences with HPD officers have been mostly positive, but then again, I don't make a habit of breaking the law. I disagree with a handful of the departmental policies in general and I'm sure bad apples do exist (and should be punished appropriately for their wrong actions)--as they do wherever a large group of people exercise authority--but you don't lend a lot of credibility to your opinion with such sweeping characterizations.

Texanfan4ever
01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
I agree but I was not there to see if he stiffed the mechanic if it is true and if the michanic did nothing wrong then I think that is horrible. I cant stand celeb. and how they think they are better then you or me. It just dosent make any sense. But if I was Fred then I would have deff not have ever approched the officer.

If I remember the story correctly, it was the officer/officers that said "he approached us". That was what they came up with after it became an incident. Fred says he didn't.

Let me just add, think back to when you have been stopped and if asked to get out of the car, first of all the cop is RIGHT there, there is no walking. They asked him to get out and put his hands on the car, which the witness said he did and he says he did. There was no walking. Those cops don't give you room to walk, especially if you are as big as Fred. All he could possibly do is stand up and turn around to face the car.

Not to mention this was at what 1:00 in the afternoon in broad daylight.

I get tired of hearing about racial profiling too but I am sorry, it happens, and I think it happened to Fred. Cops would have never done what they did if they would have known who they had.

I say, Go Fred!

Meloy
01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
I think some of us are effected by bad experiences we or those we know have had with police. I live in the Clear Lake area & have witnessed poor performance by the police. It is not fair to "color" all police by what some do. That also is profiling. But I do expect more from the police that I do a civilian. I would hoped that HPD reviews the action of its officers when thing like this happen. If I were one of the officers involved with Weary & I thought I was right.. no apology. Allow the court to sort it out. However, if I were Weary & I thought I had handled myself correctly, I would do what he is doing.

Yankee_In_TX
01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
I think some of us are effected by bad experiences we or those we know have had with police. I live in the Clear Lake area & have witnessed poor performance by the police. It is not fair to "color" all police by what some do. That also is profiling. But I do expect more from the police that I do a civilian. I would hoped that HPD reviews the action of its officers when thing like this happen. If I were one of the officers involved with Weary & I thought I was right.. no apology. Allow the court to sort it out. However, if I were Weary & I thought I had handled myself correctly, I would do what he is doing.

Being in law school though, some times it is better to apologize (even when you KNOW you're right) than to put the city through a huge lawsuit. Based on the disagreement on here, a jury could (right or wrong) rule in his favor merely because they have a disfavorable view of HPD.

And let's face it, cops, teachers, and firefighters are GROSSLY underpaid. I don't know what it takes to become an HPD, but back home all the druggie kids/near drop outs (well 3 of them) from my graduating class are now cops.

HomeBred_Texan
01-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Being in law school though, some times it is better to apologize (even when you KNOW you're right) than to put the city through a huge lawsuit. Based on the disagreement on here, a jury could (right or wrong) rule in his favor merely because they have a disfavorable view of HPD.

And let's face it, cops, teachers, and firefighters are GROSSLY underpaid. I don't know what it takes to become an HPD, but back home all the druggie kids/near drop outs (well 3 of them) from my graduating class are now cops.

I disagree with the apology thing. Once the City of Houston apoligizes, they have admitted they were wrong. That would really open the door for a lawsuit. Weary needs to grow up and take his lickens like us common folks. He made a mistake according to the Police there, and that is the end of the story, or should be. He is trying to pull race into this and it is just flat out wrong. It's not like they gave him the Rodney King treatment in Cal...

TwinSisters
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
I am not sure how many folks keep up with the local politics, but there is a national debate about profiling and the front plates going on

Kinky line that is most often quoted ( from some random blog )

Yet the truth is that Friedman's comment was factually accurate, if stated in colorful language. There has been a significant rise in crime directly associated with Katrina victims — many with criminal backgrounds — who appear to have taken up permanent residence in Houston. He said: "The musicians and artists have mostly moved back to New Orleans now. The crackheads and the thugs have decided to stay here. They want to stay here. I think they got their hustle on, and we need to get ours." And he was just stating a known fact.
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/09/17/073226.php

Louisiana cars do not require front plates, hence they are more likely to be targeted when a disturbance call is going on. I have no idea if Fred got caught up in that type of scenario or not.

But I bet he was.

the crime rate debate for reference: population VS socioeconomic status
http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou070102_ac_murderrate.6023101.html

Dr2bKay
02-01-2007, 12:05 AM

Thanks for your post...I need to remember that I am in Texas and that people only consider what is good for the majority...not the "lowly" minorities that are always crying out for equal rights....Just because you have never experienced racism or discrimination doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I am starting to think that some of the people that post here are the main racist that minorities need to watch out for...IMO....:stirpot:

texans83
02-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for your post...I need to remember that I am in Texas and that people only consider what is good for the majority...not the "lowly" minorities that are always crying out for equal rights....Just because you have never experienced racism or discrimination doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I am starting to think that some of the people that post here are the main racist that minorities need to watch out for...IMO....:stirpot:

I dont know about everyone else on here that posts but I do know that whatever race you are there will allways be someone else that thinks they are better than you, race,money whatever the case is. I work for the fire dept and I know for a fact some people look down at us bc we have a labor job, you have to love your job and the responsibilities that come with it. I just think you know everyone should look around and treat everyone as equals I know it wont happen but it needs to change. Im talking about everything, I dont care if you are a celb. you now you could really make someone angry say a person that works in a coffee shop and later you have a flat tire or something and that person that you were rude too could just drive by and laugh at you. Rather than if you were respectfull to that person like you should be to everyone he would have helped you. I dont know what im saying is making alot of sence but I just know race is everywhere and it dosent just happen to blacks. I dont want to affend anyone so just know that I do think everyone makes mistakes but whoever was is the wrong doing should fess up.

texanfan2002114
02-01-2007, 04:29 PM

I heard that if he does win the 250k that Fred is going to donate most of it to the 100 club. The association associated with the HPD. He doesn't want the money, he just wants to be proven right. He feels that he did nothing wrong and wants apology and if the city and the police officers don't give it to him then he will sue.

nunusguy
11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Houston Texans offensive lineman Fred Weary is suing the city and two police officers for a November 2006 arrest in which he was shot with a Taser gun during a traffic stop.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5297773.html

Great timing there Fred, coming off the bye week with a big-home game in
Reliant.

Carr Bombed
11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
good for him, cops are becoming to trigger happy with that damn taser and people are starting to get hurt. I read somewhere about a 80 something year old women that was tasered last week.

HJam72
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I think people's reactions to this will be really mixed. I guess we'll see if he has a real case or not.

badboy
11-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I think people's reactions to this will be really mixed. I guess we'll see if he has a real case or not.Agreed, the original thread had many different reactions. Weary is reported a very nice guy and most seemed to have problem thinking he provoked the situation.

Carr Bombed
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
The fact that Weary is suing tells me alot...........this isn't a guy that needs money

It's pretty clear that this has been bothering him and he really feels like he was "targeted" (DWB) and victimized.

badboy
11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
The fact that Weary is suing tells me alot...........this isn't a guy that needs money

It's pretty clear that this has been bothering him and he really feels like he was "targeted" (DWB) and victimized.I agree and I do not think he is the guy that will allow others to whisper in his ear and convince him.

powerfuldragon
11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
i hope he wins.

Tulip
11-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Good for Fred. I hope he wins.

eriadoc
11-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I hope he wins as well. The judge that dismissed the case against Weary said, very clearly, that Weary was not resisting arrest. Therefore, the taser was unwarranted. Someone posted earlier in the thread that HPD should not apologize, as it would only be admitting to wrongdoing. Well, it's time they admitted to that wrongdoing. They did wrong, now they need to own it, and not do it again.

From another angle, I guess the lawsuit means that the city refused to apologize. If that's the case, then they are irresponsibly risking taxpayer dollars on this case. If they lose, and have to pay the judgment, I plan to write city council (and copy the Chronic, I suppose) about their irresponsible use of taxpayer money. A simple apology would have saved that money. Maybe they could have put it towards better police training.

The financial angle of this case interests me more than anything. With the judge's statement, it's pretty clear that the cops were in the wrong here. They may find some technicality, but that doesn't mean they weren't wrong. Losing the lawsuit and having to pay a judgment would be piling stupidity on top of mistakes.

Yankee_In_TX
11-13-2007, 03:31 PM
If the HPD is anything like METRO, their Mantra is "no." If you want anything, you have to sue. That's how their attorneys and PR people are instructed.

cuppacoffee
11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't think mayor Whites new 'photo taking red lights' will work without a license plate to photograph.

At least I think that's how it works.

Vinny
11-13-2007, 06:11 PM

While I get your point I'd like to point out that Weary doesn't really make big money, and certainly not "millions and millions". His cap hit is one of the worst for the starters and according to Keith's HPF cap sheet (http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html) he has the 35th highest cap hit on the team...behind such notables as Chad Stanley, Jamar Fletcher and barely makes more money than long snapper Bryan Pittman.

I hope he wins his suit too, because this is how you punish corporations and institutions that think they are above accountability.....not because Fred needs the money.

painekiller
11-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Weary is a 3rd round pick and still playing in his rookie contract, he is not making "Millions and Millions". He makes the league minimum like all 3rd rounder and later picks. Oh he did get a one million dollar signing bonus that his agent and uncle sam got a large part of.

Second, according to eyewitnesses on the radio and TV news, it was rush hour on one of the busiest freeways in Houston, the lady officer appeared scared of the big black man, and seemed to pull the taser for no reason. If the cars tape had showed any evidence at all that Weary had broke the law then the DA would have pursued this cased, they dropped the charges.

Double Barrel
11-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Let Fred taser the cops back a couple of times.

Hope he wins just for the justice of it all.

eriadoc
11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Weary is a 3rd round pick and still playing in his rookie contract, he is not making "Millions and Millions". He makes the league minimum like all 3rd rounder and later picks. Oh he did get a one million dollar signing bonus that his agent and uncle sam got a large part of.

Second, according to eyewitnesses on the radio and TV news, it was rush hour on one of the busiest freeways in Houston, the lady officer appeared scared of the big black man, and seemed to pull the taser for no reason. If the cars tape had showed any evidence at all that Weary had broke the law then the DA would have pursued this cased, they dropped the charges.

IIRC, the charges were not dropped bythe DA. The judge who presided over the case chided the officers involved, saying that Weary was not resisting arrest. That case went to court and was dismissed by the judge.

Tulip
11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
This came from the ESPN article:

[Weary's attorney] said the city's policy on Taser use needs to be re-examined because some reviews done by local media and advocacy groups show that in more than 350 of the first 900 police Taser incidents, no person was charged.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3108226

CT CSTM
11-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Fred is "Good People" and a very intelligent guy,,,I hope he wins this and can put closure to the whole situation,,,

Wolf
02-23-2008, 08:08 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5563673.html

Two officers who tased Weary claim immunity
Responding to Texan's lawsuit, they say they acted in good faith

The two officers who shocked Houston Texans football player Fred Weary with a Taser during a 2006 traffic stop and were sued by him last year say that they are entitled to qualified immunity.

The athlete's federal civil rights lawsuit, filed in November, contends he was unlawfully stopped, shocked and arrested during an encounter with Houston police officers Margaret T. McGivern and Joe F. Vazquez. Weary, 30, contends his constitutional rights were violated by excessive force, malicious prosecution, assault and false imprisonment.

Weary also contends he was pulled over because he's black.

The city of Houston is also a defendant in the case.

Dancerdog
02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I heard Weary is planning to donate any proceeds from his lawsuit to a police charity. Class act! The officers are claiming immunity from prosecution based on the assumption that they acted in good faith in the discharge of their duties. I believe Fred is doing the right thing by making sure that this incident does not go unnoticed. This is how change comes aboiut for the better.

Hardcore Texan
02-23-2008, 10:40 AM
I heard Weary is planning to donate any proceeds from his lawsuit to a police charity. Class act! The officers are claiming immunity from prosecution based on the assumption that they acted in good faith in the discharge of their duties. I believe Fred is doing the right thing by making sure that this incident does not go unnoticed. This is how change comes aboiut for the better.

Nice post. I agree.

Sounds like the HPD is a little worried they are going to get their butts handed to them.

Way to go Fred for standing your ground! It sounded like from everything I read he was treated very unfairly and I am glad he is taking it to them.

cuppacoffee
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM

I think I am through...

"Idiots have 5 kids to a smart person's one." Brilliant thought. :rolleyes:

Actually a prime example why some parents should have no children.

"IF they did something wrong, they should own up to it."

And IF they don't own up to it, then what?

"If you dont like laws, tough." The law work both ways.

A person of even average intelligence would see that Weary is using the existing laws of the land to fight what he perceives is an injustice.

Some may not agree with him, but that is his right as an American citizen.

Only an arrogant person would make assumptions of someone elses motives.

:coffee:

Drew_Smoke
02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I was worried about Fred. Didn't he get into some scrap at a local swinger's hangout?

Wolf
02-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I was worried about Fred. Didn't he get into some scrap at a local swinger's hangout?

(6/02/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- We've learned new details about a fight that involved Houston Texans player Fred Weary.

Police say he was involved in a fight with another person inside Secrets night club on Kingspoint near Almeda Mall in southeast Houston. It happened Tuesday night.

The manager of the club says he decided not to press charges after Weary paid him for damages. However, there investigation is ongoing because of possible assault charges.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5363373

Koolaid Time
02-24-2008, 11:29 AM
(6/02/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) (KTRK) -- We've learned new details about a fight that involved Houston Texans player Fred Weary.

Police say he was involved in a fight with another person inside Secrets night club on Kingspoint near Almeda Mall in southeast Houston. It happened Tuesday night.

I always thought that Fred was more a "Wishes" type of person...:whip: