PDA

View Full Version : Which position, If not QB?

Low Life
01-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Some people say that we have too many other needs more important than getting this QB thing straight. What then? I say that's the one thing that needs to get right at all costs before upgrading anything else but that's just me. Opinions are like....

ledzeppelin229
01-27-2007, 03:42 AM
Some people say that we have too many other needs more important than getting this QB thing straight. What then? I say that's the one thing that needs to get right at all costs before upgrading anything else but that's just me. Opinions are like....

We do have a bunch of needs and QB is very close to the top. And I don't think there are very many people that will argue otherwise. However, considering where the top QBs will probably go in the draft and the FAs available, there is no sense in reaching for one or overpaying an average guy to come here if he isn't a longterm solution. I expect they will draft someone around the middle of the draft to develop, and hopefully the guy will be good enough that a solid race for the #1 job happens between all the QBs on the roster.

Aztequila
01-27-2007, 04:28 AM
*Offensive Line*, but given the Joe Thomas will probably be gone, taken by the Cards I think, I think we draft a secondary player, maybe Landry, Hall or Nelson, unless we trade down for someone. But then there is the case that if AP is there, we take him.

TexanFanInCC
01-27-2007, 05:27 AM
i think that plummer gets released and he signs with the texans to compete with sage rosenfels for the starting job. if the texans can draw a 3rd rd. pick for carr, then that would be awesome. i cant wait for the draft to start. i think rick smith will give us a better draft class than last yr....and that is saying alot, considering we got demeco, mario, lundy. i have that kind of trust in rick smith.

our first round pick needs to be a DT.

amazingandre
01-27-2007, 08:10 AM
plus we got owen and spencer and winston.....our draft was superb last year and i hope they can do as good......

Yankee_In_TX
01-27-2007, 08:29 AM
*Offensive Line*, but given the Joe Thomas will probably be gone, taken by the Cards I think, I think we draft a secondary player, maybe Landry, Hall or Nelson, unless we trade down for someone. But then there is the case that if AP is there, we take him.

Yup, O Line or secondary, depending who's there at 6.

edo783
01-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Needs in this order:

O-line
Secondary
RB
QB

thunderkyss
01-27-2007, 08:53 AM

Good Question....... I think replacing the QB will solve a lot of problems.... or at least we won't care about alot of them since we'll be winning.

But I'd say to stay clear of a QB in this draft, because I don't see a franchise guy in this draft. I'm no expert, & while Brady Quinn & Jamarcus Russell are the best QB prospects in this class... I don't see either of them being special in the NFL.

They might be Trent Green, Marc Bulger, kind of successful...... obvious first day picks, I don't think they are true top ten picks(hype or a weak draft class is going to put them in the top 10).

We've got the #8 pick........ I wouldn't use it on either QB "porjected" to go in the top 10.

I'm not a big Plummer fan. I was before his 6th year in Arizona. I still see him as an upgrade to Carr at this point, but I don't want to pay him. Like Bledsoe with the Cowboys last year, $2 million bonus, $2mill- $4 mill salary..... I'd be ok with, no more... but Guaranteed to start.

I've never been a Garcia fan, and don't care to pay a guy like him after one good year.

I'd like to go in next year with Sage & Carr competing in TC, Let Carr take the majority of the snaps in preseason, and lets see how he does against the twos & threes. If he looks like a man among boys... he moves closer to being the starter. But Sage has to lose the job in the regular season, or get hurt, before David can come in and play. Period.

& as far as biggest need...... I think we need a LB who can run and keep up with TEs & get deep fast.

Hardcore Texan
01-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Needs in this order:

O-line
Secondary
RB
QB

I could live with this, but I would insert a DT or a DE before RB.

threetoedpete
01-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Needs in this order:

O-line
Secondary
RB
QB

Thank you EDO. I get to emotional to respond to some of this stuff flung on the board. Levi Brown proved today that he is worth the #8. So Did Willis and Okoye. You guys are setting your selves up for some more VY/Bush heart ache again come the end of April. Deal with it. Any QB after the first two are projects. There are no instant cures out there this year at QB. The tallent of this class drops way off once you get out of the eighty picks. Aything the scouts hit on past day two that makes the roster will be excellent work by the scouting Dept. Baring the punter selcetion they hit one of four on the day two guys, they'll be doing their work very well.

Kaiser Toro
01-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Cb1
Fs
C
Ot
Olb

TexansSeminole
01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Secondary
Defensive Tackle
Offensive Line

edo783
01-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Cb1
Fs
C
Ot
Olb

I see the thought process and could live with it. I would hope we hit the CB or OLB in FA and pick up a RB and/or QB in about the 3rd.

threetoedpete
01-27-2007, 06:51 PM

So...are you posting that you would be willing to give Al Davis two ones and two twoes to move up and have the pick of the QB Litter ? Or Matt Millon...Two ones and a two to move up with Detroit and pick the Oakland cast off either Quinn or Russel ? Because that is what we are talking about here. Quinn and Russel have the skill level to start mid season and make a mark in '07. And with a little luck, be ready to make a run in '08. The rest of the pile is projects, rejects and Alice-in-wonder-land guys. Even Troy "Tater Tot" Smith and Kolb are no where ready to learn a NFL offense, much less start for an NFL club yet. The point being the rest of the pile are at least two year away guys. They're going to need at least one season with a clip board to get on line. '08 will be the first time you see Smith or Kolb start a game.

edo783
01-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Levi Brown proved today that he is worth the #8. So Did Willis and Okoye.

I like all of those guys. Just not real sure yet if they are worthy(LOL) of being picked at 8. I could see a trade down to about 10-12 and still get most any of them and a 3 rnd pick. The combine and FA will probably get things in better focus for us. I sure hope so.

threetoedpete
01-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Not bagging EDO just pointing out...that is the sradegy that had us missing on the two pro bowl startes, Jamaal Brown and McNeil. Not saying we should by pass All Day or one of the safties,DEs, saying if you want a guy who can lock down OLT this season irregaurdless if Spencer makes it back or not, that is our choice. Take Brown at the 8, or live with what we have. There isn't, from what I see, any getting lucky with a day two guy with this group this year. Thomas and Levi Brown ARE the OLT prospects this year.

Low Life
01-27-2007, 07:49 PM
So...are you posting that you would be willing to give Al Davis two ones and two twoes to move up and have the pick of the QB Litter ? Or Matt Millon...Two ones and a two to move up with Detroit and pick the Oakland cast off either Quinn or Russel ? Because that is what we are talking about here. Quinn and Russel have the skill level to start mid season and make a mark in '07. And with a little luck, be ready to make a run in '08. The rest of the pile is projects, rejects and Alice-in-wonder-land guys. Even Troy "Tater Tot" Smith and Kolb are no where ready to learn a NFL offense, much less start for an NFL club yet. The point being the rest of the pile are at least two year away guys. They're going to need at least one season with a clip board to get on line. '08 will be the first time you see Smith or Kolb start a game.

I'm not really talking so much about the draft as an overall need position no matter how it is upgraded. I'm just wondering what position is our biggest need. I have seen a common link for 5 straight years of losing seasons... :hmmm: that's just my pennies but as far as the draft I would agree with those who have stated that QB is not a strongpoint there. I did like Levi Brown last night and maybe that's another variable that would affect the QB but as of now I'm going to go ahead and put it all on the QB.

I'm not Rick Smith so I won't be suggesting much of anything like most of the professional analysts on this board. I'm just curious and will whole-heartedly embrace any move that this front office makes until they let me down. I don't really see that happening though.

Spled
01-28-2007, 12:26 AM
You definitely want to get value out of a pick that high. We still have a pass rush problem, so Gaines Adams would be a nice bookend to Mario.

Kaiser Toro
01-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I would hope we hit the CB or OLB in FA and pick up a RB and/or QB in about the 3rd.

As do I. These are our needs in my opinion, but indiscriminate on how we acquire (FA, draft). I still like AP with the first and finding a CB1 in FA or a CB/FS (Landry, Hall, Nelson, Revis) with the first and then going with Kalil/ Merriweather in the 2nd. Chris Houston CB/Kareem Brown DT/Kevin Kolb QB/Michael Bush RB in the 3rd.

Overalls
01-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Running back to bring in a big play maker. We can't count on DDW or Dayne
and we need some one to take the heat off who ever starts at QB and do be ready when a QB steps up

DB to stop their big play making WR. TWO 82 yard TD in one game enough said

QB to ride the pine and learn for a year. Sage, Carr or anouther FA stiff will do for a year. The "STAR" RB we pick up will make this easier to take.

OL to learn for a year. It can take time for a rookie o-lineman to develope so pick the best we can in FAgency to go with Spencer and Winston from last year and get one or in the draft to learn behind them.

t_flare
01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
OLine
D-Line
LB
CB
RB
QB

Thats my order... Face it... The Offensive Line has NEVER been average in their 5 years of existance. Boselli, Ryans, Wand, Wade, Flanagan all have been busts. You need to find a cornerstone LT thru Draft or FA. Have Pitts McKinney Winston and Spencers to fill out the rest. With this you still will struggle at the beginning of the year as they are young and inexperience with the chemisty of each other. BUT DAMN IT FIX THE DAMN LINE!

I think the D-Line has 2 wholes... both on the DT side.. Payne is older and is becoming below average, and Travis Johnson is a bust and I will say it on the record.. TRAVIS JOHNSON WILL BE CUT BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS!... I see Weaver moving inside and the Texans picking up Free Agents to beef up the D-Line.

Is Faggins good when there is a pass rush.. I dont know. I hope Clements from Buffalo will come to Houston because he lives in Pearland. C.C. is a bad cover corner and Earl is average. How much do they get expose because the D-line cant cause pressure... I dont know that is the coaches job.

Chris Taylor, Ron Dayne, Lundy, DD Williams, Gato. Can you go into the season hopeing one of the 2nd year guys to become good, one guy to come back from an injury that ending his season before it even started, 2 guys that have been average in their careers become better in this "Denver" offense?

David Carr. Did he had enough talent to be successful in his 5 Years? Is he a playmaker with a consistant O-Line and running game. Or is he like Rex Grossman where he is there to manage the game? He play good 4 out of the first 6 games without a running game. Then he begin to struggle after NY when the injuries came. How much is it David regressing and how much is the talent around him was not there.

We Give our opinions. But its up to the coaching staff to answer these questions. There are no clear cut answer for any of these.. Let hope they answer the right one