PDA

View Full Version : [ESPN]: Houston expected to use "high round" pick on RB.

dirty steve
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
not sure how fresh this is to everybody:
from espn/pasquarelli:
Insider info has the Texans still taking an RB "high" even with the presence of all the great RB talent on the roster, and the expected attempt of Domanick Williams to return. If AP is there, you have to take him.

hollywood_texan
01-26-2007, 06:56 PM
from espn/pasquarelli:
Houston tailback Domanick Williams is said to be making a good recovery from the knee problem that sidelined him the entire 2006 season, but it's still expected that the Texans will use a high-round draft choice on a runner.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2743573&univLogin02=stateChanged

All the more indication they are keeping Carr.

The talent excuse will be removed and Carr's play will have to stand on it's own.

TexansTrueFan
01-26-2007, 07:07 PM
I dont believe it, its an early rumor, thats pretty much it. I see either a quarter back, or another pick to help the defense.

NATHANHALE
01-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Last year, DD said the same thing...has he been working out at the Texans facility, so they can monitor his progress?? I sure hope this does not turn inti another Boselli(sp)!!

Double Barrel
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM
from espn/pasquarelli:
Houston tailback Domanick Williams is said to be making a good recovery from the knee problem that sidelined him the entire 2006 season, but it's still expected that the Texans will use a high-round draft choice on a runner.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2743573&univLogin02=stateChanged

If Williams ever returns, it should be under a renegotiated contract or for another team. $3 million+ is not what we should be paying a broken RB who hasn't played football in a season and a half.

And consider the source: ESPN. They have no idea what the Texans FO will do, especially considering what went down last year.

Tale Gator
01-26-2007, 08:25 PM
If we have an opportunity to grab Adrian Peterson we better take it or parts of Houston will be in flames.

Toro
01-26-2007, 08:38 PM
If we have an opportunity to grab Adrian Peterson we better take it or parts of Houston will be in flames.

Believe me, if Peterson falls I CAN'T see the Texans passing on him no matter what.

texanfan2100
01-26-2007, 10:45 PM

STOP IT!! STOP IT!! STOP IT!! :eek: :eek: :brickwall :brickwall

Better keep Sage close by and healthy. In your scenario, he'll be starting by week 3.

Aztequila
01-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Lets say Dommanick is healthy and we do take AP, should he fall to us, which I wouldnt disagree with... What the hell do we do with all the backs we have. What are the contracts with Dayne, Lundy, Taylor and Gado? Add Dommanick to this. that 6 RBs. How does this play out?

TexanFanInCC
01-27-2007, 05:21 AM
from espn/pasquarelli:

i doubt it. its not like kubiak and rick smith to pursue running backs with early picks, considering that we run the zone blocking...any running back with decent vision can have success in this system. besides, im all in favor of giving chris taylor serious consideration to be the every down back next yr. if they really were intrigued by running backs in the early rounds, then they woulda drafted reggie bush. ill guarantee that the 8th pick wont be on a running back. in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if the texans draft a tailback as early as the 3rd round. kubiak made a committment to getting better on defense when he took mario williams. he is not finished. ill bet anything that the first round pick will be on defense.

The talent excuse will be removed and Carr's play will have to stand on it's own.

i would hope not. kubiak wasnt going to tell mcnair straight up that carr was not going to take this team to the superbowl. he gave him a yr to prove his worth, and the fact is this...carr is out-of-tune. the overhead of keeping carr is too much for what your paying. plummer makes sense because of his respect for kubiak and the fact that he had his best pro seasons under kubiak's tutilage.

CoachJim
01-27-2007, 06:37 AM

IMHO, Bush is 10xs the RB that AP is & WITHOUT the durability issues ... you think the Texans FO is incapable of passing on him too when we have so many other needs? Better keep a fire ext. handy bro.

Believe me, if Peterson falls I CAN'T see the Texans passing on him no matter what.

See above post & reply ...

TheCD
01-27-2007, 08:29 AM
IMHO, Bush is 10xs the RB that AP is & WITHOUT the durability issues ... you think the Texans FO is incapable of passing on him too when we have so many other needs? Better keep a fire ext. handy bro.

I get what you're saying here, but you have to remember, Bush is the anithesis of what Kubiak looks for in a runner. He likes guys to make one cut and go...and we all know that Bush is incapable of doing that for an entire game.

My indications is that we're going defense, but I could see how Kubiak might want to draft a running back. I just have a hard time believing we'd be doing it with either our 1st or 2nd round picks, it clashes with the philosophy that he's learned from Shanahan.

I guess that I wouldn't be too opposed to drafting a RB 1st as long as we sign a big FA on defense. I think that the D's on the verge and would like to see us shore up a S and LB/CB this offseason who can make an impact. I would like the D-line to become a bit younger at the tackle position (Payne is getting a little old and expensive, for example), and maybe a good compliment to Mario on the opposite end, but other than that, I think that with time it will become the well-oiled machine that we all want.

At least for once, regardless of what we do in the draft and FA, I have a great feeling that we'll come out the other side into next season with a great chance to compete. :shades:

infantrycak
01-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Lets say Dommanick is healthy and we do take AP, should he fall to us, which I wouldnt disagree with... What the hell do we do with all the backs we have. What are the contracts with Dayne, Lundy, Taylor and Gado? Add Dommanick to this. that 6 RBs. How does this play out?

Dayne is an UFA, Gado is ERFA. Lundy ($416k) and Taylor ($225) are very cheap. The question is roster spots, not money.

i doubt it. its not like kubiak and rick smith to pursue running backs with early picks, considering that we run the zone blocking.

Why do folks keep saying this? Sure Denver hasn't used a #1 pick but they have used #2's on Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis and just last year Kubiak tried to trade back up into the 1st round to get DeAngelo Williams. Don't be surprised if the 2nd pick is a RB.

ArlingtonTexan
01-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Dayne is an UFA, Gado is ERFA. Lundy ($416k) and Taylor ($225) are very cheap. The question is roster spots, not money.

Why do folks keep saying this? Sure Denver hasn't used a #1 pick but they have used #2's on Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis and just last year Kubiak tried to trade back up into the 1st round to get DeAngelo Williams. Don't be surprised if the 2nd pick is a RB.

Agree. I don't think I actully have heard a person from Denver's staff ever say this. My thought is that you would having a tough time selling me on the idea that the team's needs, the talent of a Rb and opportunity have messed in the first round where you could make a strong argument that Broncos SHOULD have drafted ___ RB instead whatever player that they did.

ASTRODOME2002
01-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Agree. I don't think I actully have heard a person from Denver's staff ever say this. My thought is that you would having a tough time selling me on the idea that the team's needs, the talent of a Rb and opportunity have messed in the first round where you could make a strong argument that Broncos SHOULD have drafted ___ RB instead whatever player that they did.

The Texans #1 draft pick will be the best defensive cb/safety/dt on the board. There are plenty of running backs out there who could thrive in the Texans system and they will pluck one of them with their #2 pick. I look forward to the Texans picking up a strong cb in free agency and then getting a safety with the #1 pick. Defense wins championships.

GP
01-27-2007, 09:46 AM
The Texans #1 draft pick will be the best defensive cb/safety/dt on the board. There are plenty of running backs out there who could thrive in the Texans system and they will pluck one of them with their #2 pick. I look forward to the Texans picking up a strong cb in free agency and then getting a safety with the #1 pick. Defense wins championships.

Yes, logic says that your assessment is the BEST scenario for our team.

It's what I hope for. The defense needs another infusion of talent. The TJ draft pick, and the Babin draft pick were completely wasted: Two years worth of first round draft picks on defense that Kubiak is STILL trying to correct.

If our defense was better, I could say there's a 95% chance that we WOULD take AP...would even probably trade up to get him if necessary.

But I think spending the high pick on a RB, knowing Kubiak's preference for RBs later in the draft, is a situation that's not likely to happen.

I would say DT/S/CB and maybe OL as a last resort would be the way our first pick goes down.

Then again, never say "never."

There would be worse things than drafting AP, IMO.

Kaiser Toro
01-27-2007, 10:03 AM
RB is not the only position where value can be found late on the first day and in the second day. There are plenty of diamonds in the rough, we just need our personnel and scouting departments to be on top of their game.

We are in a sweet spot this year with the 8th pick in my opinion.

Dunta_23
01-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Kubiak himslef said that the team needs playmakers.....I think that if Peterson falls to 8...unless somebody offers a trade that they cant refuse, that Peterson will be the pick...Id love to draft defense too and get a good safety, but I dont think they can rely on DD, Lundy, Gado, Taylor for next year....

Also a lot of people say fans will lose it if they select DL again....but thats where there is the most talent early on (Anderson, Adams, Branch) Leon Hall isnt worth a #8 overall....so unless you are going DL or S(Landry or Nelson) Peterson is the best player and best value

TheOgre
01-27-2007, 10:40 AM
IMHO, Bush is 10xs the RB that AP is & WITHOUT the durability issues

I couldn't disagree more. When we took Mario instead of Bush, I remember thinking, "I'd rather have AP than Bush anyways." Bush has big play ability and show flashes that he can run between the tackles. With AP, you get speed, power, and in-game endurance (I remember OU came back on TCU a couple of years ago without completing a single second half pass). He is a swiss army knife of a back.

2BCF
01-27-2007, 10:54 AM
If we're keeping Carr, we HAVE to use that pick on a punter.

JAXwithanX
01-27-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know why we are even talking about AP at 8. If he performs up to 70% of his talent at the combine he won't be around there. And if he doesn't perform up to his talent at the combine....its because of some injury issues, thus hopefully pulling us out as well.

Hardcore Texan
01-27-2007, 06:03 PM
We need to go DB with the first pick and then OL, DL after that.

Toro
01-27-2007, 06:14 PM

I'm going to partially agree with you.

Bush is a more explosive halfback. He's the type of guy who is capable of taking it to the hole everytime he touches the rock, and his versitility to play HB, WR and KR/PR is not to be ignored. I think he's the type to put up routine 1,400 yard seasons in terms of All Purpose Yards.

However, I truly believe Peterson is the better pure HB of the two. He's never had to share the load at Oklahoma, and from Day 1 when he stepped foot on campus in Norman, he was mature beyond his years. I see him being a Larry Johnson type, who will be able to carry the rock 30 times a game and get you a buck fifty on the ground and will get you 1,500 yards per season.

It all depends on what your tastes are. I think if you're looking for the Earl Campbell type back, who you can build your offense as a running team around, you take AP. Bush, on the other hand, is the type that if your looking for a run and gun, air it out type offense, Bush is your guy.

Also, what durability issues? The guy suffered two freak injuries. Find me one HB in the NFL who hasn't suffered some kind of injury, severe or non severe, and I'll point you in the direction of the practice squad guy who's parked on the furthest depths of the bench.

Look, Frank Gore had durability issues coming out of college. The guy had two blown knees and was one good hit away from having his career turn in to KiJana Carter's quickly. Trust me, that is an injury history to look at, moreso than a collarbone break and an ankle injury. Yet, in spite of this, he's been durable thus far, and the 49ers sure haven't regretted it. I think the same can be said for Peterson, and anyone who selects him. I hope it's Houston.

Also, why is Gary Kubiak's "draft history" being drug in to this? Since when do offensive coordinators have major say on who teams draft?

I don't know why we are even talking about AP at 8. If he performs up to 70% of his talent at the combine he won't be around there. And if he doesn't perform up to his talent at the combine....its because of some injury issues, thus hopefully pulling us out as well.

It's not just talent bro. It's about team individual need.

Matt Leinart had a hell of a Combine last year, and had the resume coming out of USC that were as good as any QBs of recent memory. Yet, he fell to 10. Not because he was injured and surely not because he lacked talent. It was because of need.

Just looking at this year's draft, there's really only one team in the top 8 that I think COULD go HB besides Houston, and that's Cleveland who also happens to need a QB. It's very realistic that Peterson could go to Houston at 8, regardless of how good he performs at the Combine.

Untamed Guerillaz
01-27-2007, 06:28 PM

No it wouldn't, just you guy. forget about it AP is going to be another eddie george so therefore the texans dont want him go with landry who can play corner or safety:bananasplit: ....holla

Untamed Guerillaz
01-27-2007, 06:30 PM
If we're keeping Carr, we HAVE to use that pick on a punter.

I like that ...too funny:marionaner:

Hottoddie
01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
from espn/pasquarelli:
Insider info has the Texans still taking an RB "high" even with the presence of all the great RB talent on the roster, and the expected attempt of Domanick Williams to return. If AP is there, you have to take him.

Here we go again. :rolleyes: :brickwall Espn is just a bunch of :joker:'s.

threetoedpete
01-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Here we go again. :rolleyes: :brickwall Espn is just a bunch of :joker:'s.

Yes but it made an excellent oportunity to go off on the All Day love fest didn't it ? It spoke to their agenda.

Lucky
01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
...forget about it AP is going to be another eddie george so therefore the texans dont want him...
Not that I agree with your assessment that Peterson is similar to George, but what would be so bad about drafting a player like Eddie George? He was an outstanding RB who carried his team to a lot of victories.

Toro
01-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow.. If the WORST CASE SCENARIO is him being another Eddie George, that's not such a bad thing, is it?

edo783
01-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow.. If the WORST CASE SCENARIO is him being another Eddie George, that's not such a bad thing, is it?

Oh my, not ANOTHER Eddie George...how could we possibly put up with that! Just one of the better backs in the NFL for 7 or 8 years. Gosh, we better hope that never happens to this club.

ArlingtonTexan
01-28-2007, 12:28 AM

You don't go into a draft thinking I am going to pick the best at this position available (even if a couple of positions). that is a recipe for drafting the Jason Babins of the world. People need to get over the myth of the late round RBs. The best Rbs in league are primarily first day with most of those being first rounders. Depending on bottom feeders is more often going to get you acceptable or OK production. Those are nice words for mediocore.

ledzeppelin229
01-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Not that I agree with your assessment that Peterson is similar to George, but what would be so bad about drafting a player like Eddie George? He was an outstanding RB who carried his team to a lot of victories.

I think he meant that since AP looks to be such a good player, the Texans will avoid him at all costs. I disagree with that assessment though since backwards brain Casserly is out of the picture.

Spled
01-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Say what you will about Dayne, he wore out the Indianapolis defense that is going to the Super Bowl.

Hottoddie
01-28-2007, 02:28 AM
People need to get over the myth of the late round RBs. The best Rbs in league are primarily first day with most of those being first rounders. Depending on bottom feeders is more often going to get you acceptable or OK production. Those are nice words mediocore.

If we dismiss Vick (since he's not a RB), of the top 29 RB's this year, there are:

14) 1st round picks
8) 2nd round picks
4) 3rd round picks
1) 4th round pick
1) 6th round pick
1) Undrafted player

Even though this is a small 1 year sample, it sure is strong evidence for your argument. Bottom line, if you don't get your RB in the 1st 2 rounds, you might as well forget about it. I've bolded what I consider to be the elite RB's.

1 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 1815 yds (1st) (#5)

2 Larry Johnson KC 1789 yds (1st) (#27)

3 Frank Gore SF 1695 yds (3rd) (#65)

4 Tiki Barber NYG 1662 yds (2nd) (#36)

5 Steven Jackson STL 1528 yds (1st) (#24)

6 Willie Parker PIT 1494 yds (Undrafted)

7 Rudi Johnson CIN 1309 yds (4th) (#100)

8 Brian Westbrook PHI 1217 yds (3rd) (#91)

9 Chester Taylor MIN 1216 yds (6th) (#207)

10 Travis Henry TEN 1211 yds (2nd) (#58)

11 Thomas Jones CHI 1210 yds (1st) (#7)

12 Edgerrin James ARI 1159 yds (1st) (#4)

13 Ladell Betts WAS 1154 yds (2nd) (#56)

14 Fred Taylor JAC 1146 yds (1st) (#9)

15 Warrick Dunn ATL 1140 yds (1st) (#12)

16 Jamal Lewis BAL 1132 yds (1st) (#5)

17 Julius Jones DAL 1084 yds (2nd) (#43)

18 Joseph Addai IND 1081 yds (1st) (#30)

19 Ahman Green GB 1059 yds (3rd) (#76)

20 Deuce McAllister NO 1057 yds (1st) (#23)

21 Michael Vick ATL 1039 yds (not a RB)

22 Tatum Bell DEN 1025 yds (2nd) (#41)

23 Ronnie Brown MIA 1008 yds (1st) (#2)

24 Willis McGahee BUF 990 yds (1st) (#23)

25 Maurice Jones-Drew JAC 941 yds (2nd) (#60)

26 DeShaun Foster CAR 897 yds (2nd) (#34)

27 Shaun Alexander SEA 896 yds (1st) (#19)

28 Corey Dillon NE 812 yds (2nd) (#43)

29 Cadillac Williams TB 798 yds (1st) (#5)

30 Reuben Droughns CLE 758 yds (3rd) (#81)

Aztequila
01-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Say what you will about Dayne, he wore out the Indianapolis defense that is going to the Super Bowl.

After watching the Playoff games, I think we can all agree that the Colts Defense is not the same Defense Dayne tore up. Did you see what they did to LJ? However, the last game against the Pats brought back some of those question.

ArlingtonTexan
01-28-2007, 09:10 AM
If we dismiss Vick (since he's not a RB), of the top 29 RB's this year, there are:

14) 1st round picks
8) 2nd round picks
4) 3rd round picks
1) 4th round pick
1) 6th round pick
1) Undrafted player

Even though this is a small 1 year sample, it sure is strong evidence for your argument. Bottom line, if you don't get your RB in the 1st 2 rounds, you might as well forget about it. I've bolded what I consider to be the elite RB's.

1 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 1815 yds (1st) (#5)

2 Larry Johnson KC 1789 yds (1st) (#27)

3 Frank Gore SF 1695 yds (3rd) (#65)

4 Tiki Barber NYG 1662 yds (2nd) (#36)

5 Steven Jackson STL 1528 yds (1st) (#24)

6 Willie Parker PIT 1494 yds (Undrafted)

7 Rudi Johnson CIN 1309 yds (4th) (#100)

8 Brian Westbrook PHI 1217 yds (3rd) (#91)

9 Chester Taylor MIN 1216 yds (6th) (#207)

10 Travis Henry TEN 1211 yds (2nd) (#58)

11 Thomas Jones CHI 1210 yds (1st) (#7)

12 Edgerrin James ARI 1159 yds (1st) (#4)

13 Ladell Betts WAS 1154 yds (2nd) (#56)

14 Fred Taylor JAC 1146 yds (1st) (#9)

15 Warrick Dunn ATL 1140 yds (1st) (#12)

16 Jamal Lewis BAL 1132 yds (1st) (#5)

17 Julius Jones DAL 1084 yds (2nd) (#43)

18 Joseph Addai IND 1081 yds (1st) (#30)

19 Ahman Green GB 1059 yds (3rd) (#76)

20 Deuce McAllister NO 1057 yds (1st) (#23)

21 Michael Vick ATL 1039 yds (not a RB)

22 Tatum Bell DEN 1025 yds (2nd) (#41)

23 Ronnie Brown MIA 1008 yds (1st) (#2)

24 Willis McGahee BUF 990 yds (1st) (#23)

25 Maurice Jones-Drew JAC 941 yds (2nd) (#60)

26 DeShaun Foster CAR 897 yds (2nd) (#34)

27 Shaun Alexander SEA 896 yds (1st) (#19)

28 Corey Dillon NE 812 yds (2nd) (#43)

29 Cadillac Williams TB 798 yds (1st) (#5)

30 Reuben Droughns CLE 758 yds (3rd) (#81)

Thank you for putting numbers behind my theory.

Tale Gator
01-28-2007, 09:19 AM
The Texans should trade up if necessary to grab Peterson.

bigTEXan8
01-28-2007, 10:14 AM
instead of ap, i'd rather see the texans take the best cb or saftey on the board. i got sick of seeing the 'd' get beat deep week to week. spend a 2nd rounder on a rb if need be, but please, the pass is killer.

tulexan
01-28-2007, 10:26 AM
instead of ap, i'd rather see the texans take the best cb or saftey on the board. i got sick of seeing the 'd' get beat deep week to week. spend a 2nd rounder on a rb if need be, but please, the pass is killer.

Why can't we spend a 2nd rounder on the secondary? Then that will fix that.

bigTEXan8
01-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Why can't we spend a 2nd rounder on the secondary? Then that will fix that.

i just wouldn't mind having that kid out of florida...don't remember his name, but his teammates called him "the eraser". i got to watch a lot of SEC games this year, and i really like watching him play. and boy can hit. i don't know, maybe i'm just saying on passing on AP for the sake of argument. being the fresno state bulldog bum i am, i'd like to see d.wright as a texans rb. he has dayne like size, but actually likes making contact. i think that would be a great pick-up. and just because this looks cool...:marionaner:

Double Barrel
01-28-2007, 10:53 AM
You don't go into a draft thinking I am going to pick the best at this position available (even if a couple of positions). that is a recipe for drafting the Jason Babins of the world. People need to get over the myth of the late round RBs. The best Rbs in league are primarily first day with most of those being first rounders. Depending on bottom feeders is more often going to get you acceptable or OK production. Those are nice words for mediocore.

Well said, AT.

People keep talking about the "Denver system", but forget that it has only won one playoff game since Elway retired. And the Super Bowl years had running backs behind one of the best o-lines in the NFL, as well as a HoF QB taking snaps. These factors can make a big difference.

aj.
01-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Tomlinson, Johnson, Gore, Barber, Jackson.

Top 5 rushers in '06.

3 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 1 third rounder (first pick in the third). And without the injury concerns, Gore would have gone much higher.

Toro
01-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh my, not ANOTHER Eddie George...how could we possibly put up with that! Just one of the better backs in the NFL for 7 or 8 years. Gosh, we better hope that never happens to this club.

No kidding. That was my exact point.. God forbid we pick up a guy who's automatic for 120 yards or more per game.

TexanFanInCC
01-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I just think that if Kubiak wanted a star running back right away, he would not have passed on reggie bush. Kubiak wants playmakers...and I think we need them moreso on defense than on offense. Our offense will be fine if our defense could get some takeaways, which they hardly did all season. Personally, i think chris taylor needs to be given an opportunity to start. I dont think the runningback position is the position we need to improve in the most. chris taylor showed promise in the limited time he got last yr. plus, we need to see what kind of a difference having a new QB will make on this team (if that is what happens...us getting a new starting QB). i think that if we are going to be successful, i would start by beefing up this defense and then letting our young guys like taylor and lundy on offense develop. plus, hopefully we will have spencer back.

NATHANHALE
01-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I just think that if Kubiak wanted a star running back right away, he would not have passed on reggie bush. Kubiak wants playmakers...and I think we need them moreso on defense than on offense. Our offense will be fine if our defense could get some takeaways, which they hardly did all season. Personally, i think chris taylor needs to be given an opportunity to start. I dont think the runningback position is the position we need to improve in the most. chris taylor showed promise in the limited time he got last yr. plus, we need to see what kind of a difference having a new QB will make on this team (if that is what happens...us getting a new starting QB). i think that if we are going to be successful, i would start by beefing up this defense and then letting our young guys like taylor and lundy on offense develop. plus, hopefully we will have spencer back.

This team has had one main reason they've lost more games than any other team in its first 5 yrs--scoring points--do whatever you want to do with the defense, but we still have to outscore the other team...in half our 16 games, we avged less than 11pts per game...getting take aways is nice but you still have to have an offense that can score off those take aways...

Toro
01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Or, it could be concluded that Kubiak didn't find Bush to be a pure HB, or good fit for the offense he's looking to build, and elected to pass, instead waiting to see if he could get one who did in the later rounds, or this year.

TheOgre
01-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I just think that if Kubiak wanted a star running back right away, he would not have passed on reggie bush.

Two reasons that I am going to argue that point:

1. It was thought at the time of the draft that D. Davis (now Williams) would be ready to start the season. Why draft a RB high with DD in tow?

2. While Bush has talent, he is outside the realm of your standard back. Kubiak may have questioned his ability to run between the tackles on a consistent basis.

Toro
01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
First off, whoever repped me, thanks! I appreciate it.

Now that said, on to my point in posting here..

Two reasons that I am going to argue that point:

1. It was thought at the time of the draft that D. Davis (now Williams) would be ready to start the season. Why draft a RB high with DD in tow?

2. While Bush has talent, he is outside the realm of your standard back. Kubiak may have questioned his ability to run between the tackles on a consistent basis.

All excellent points. Just to add a third to that though, we've already discussed here that the team tried to trade up to get DeAngelo Williams, so as mentioned, for the offense Kubiak is trying to install, Kubiak may have felt that Bush wasn't a good fit.

Texas
01-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I thought it was Domanick Davis

TexanFanInCC
01-29-2007, 02:24 AM
well i personally dont think we will draft peterson. im hoping for akoiye (however you spell it) or reggie nelson. we will have to see come draft day. too long of a wait. i wish they would have the drafts just following the superbowl.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-29-2007, 09:31 AM
If its not Adrian Peterson, do not touch a running back in the draft.
If its not Calvin Johnson, do not touch a receiver.

Interior linemen, outside linebackers, safeties, corners, and o linemen is where its at.

TexansFanatic
01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
If we miss out on AP, I wouldn't be unhappy to get Marshawn Lynch. This guy can run between the tackles and punish tacklers, he can run around the end, he can catch short AND long balls. Here's a highlight video. I think the best run starts at about 1 minute and 37 seconds into it:

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/marshawn/

GP
01-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Okoye is 19-years-old, a little "light" for the tastes of NFL FOs and HCs. The commentators were saying that he'll probably get heavier, though, as he ages over the next few years. He's only 19.

He looks to me to be along the same lines as Mario Williams: A ferocious knack for getting to the ball, great speed for a guy his size (and he might get BIGGER). He blew up several plays all by himself in the few minutes I saw of him on Sat.

Okoye would be OK with me. Put him on one end and Mario on the other, and grab a bonified run-stuffing DT to help the guys in the middle of the line. I think it'll take Okoye 1-2 years to be at top NFL strength...but he looks great already. How do you get to be a senior and you're 19? Home school?

Lynch will be a star, but he'l likely be a P.R. nightmare, too. Think Pac Man Jones...

dalemurphy
01-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I just don't think I'd spend a high 1st rounder on a RB. I don't doubt Peterson could be great. However, RB careers can be so short and injuries tend to have a bigger impact on that position than most others. Also, good and great RBs can be found later in the draft- later in the 1st round after a trade down or in the second and third. Look at last year's draft: Maroney, D.Williams, M.Drew all went after pick #20. I was very excited about us trading back into the first round to get De. Williams last year. I just think the top 10 picks are generally too high a price to pay for a player likely to have a short career.

Look at the Denver-Washington trade a couple years ago. Denver traded Portis and got Bailey and a 2nd round pick. Most Redskin fans liked that deal at the time- as fans tend to get excited about RBs and QBs. The problem with the trade for me is that a RB's play is so largely impacted by the Oline and other factors out of his control. A CB is different. Regardless of the rest of the team, the CB can impact each play of the game significantly. Also, Bailey will likely be contributing at a fairly high level 4-5 years after Portis is out of football. The life on an NFL QB is so much longer than a RB.

srstex
01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
I think you need to look at the D & O, and see that stat wise our D was in the bottom 4 of the NFL while the O was closer to 25, not good, but when your boat is going down, fix the biggest hole first. I say draft exactly like last year Defense-Defense-Offense, and pick up a cover corner first this year. We have good talent on offense right now, let's keep everyone on the same page and see what happens, replace guys as needed due to poor performance.

TexanAddict
01-29-2007, 12:42 PM
How do you get to be a senior and you're 19? Home school?

A native of Nigeria who tested into the 9th grade as a 12-year-old and played at Louisville as a 16-year-old true freshman in '03
Link (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/amobiokoye.html)

edo783
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
If we miss out on AP, I wouldn't be unhappy to get Marshawn Lynch. This guy can run between the tackles and punish tacklers, he can run around the end, he can catch short AND long balls. Here's a highlight video. I think the best run starts at about 1 minute and 37 seconds into it:

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/marshawn/

Nice moves, good balance. Seems to have a tad more speed than AP and looks like he has good hands. AP seems to run with more power IMO.

texans83
01-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I dont believe it, its an early rumor, thats pretty much it. I see either a quarter back, or another pick to help the defense.

They arent going to pick a qb at number 8 are you kidding me

texans83
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
i doubt it. its not like kubiak and rick smith to pursue running backs with early picks, considering that we run the zone blocking...any running back with decent vision can have success in this system. besides, im all in favor of giving chris taylor serious consideration to be the every down back next yr. if they really were intrigued by running backs in the early rounds, then they woulda drafted reggie bush. ill guarantee that the 8th pick wont be on a running back. in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if the texans draft a tailback as early as the 3rd round. kubiak made a committment to getting better on defense when he took mario williams. he is not finished. ill bet anything that the first round pick will be on defense.

i would hope not. kubiak wasnt going to tell mcnair straight up that carr was not going to take this team to the superbowl. he gave him a yr to prove his worth, and the fact is this...carr is out-of-tune. the overhead of keeping carr is too much for what your paying. plummer makes sense because of his respect for kubiak and the fact that he had his best pro seasons under kubiak's tutilage.

you are making no sense. Why in the hell woud you want to waste another 1 on dl, Travis Johnson ring a bell..... And kolb will be gone b4 found 3. And plummer give me a break thats all i can say

titan hater
01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
FWIW...I think they will go Secondary with the #1 (unless AP falls to #8). If AP is available you take him. By they way he is nothing like Eddie George. EG ran almost straight up...AP runs more like (dare I say it) the Tyler Rose (shoulders down). However, its all mute as AP will be picked by the mistake by the lake. Look for the Texans to pick Irons or Lynch with their second rd pick. And a QB with the 3rd or 4th (KK anyone?). DL/LB will come with the
3rd or 4th. Best available the rest of the way...

We must sign a decent punter for next year!!!

hollywood_texan
01-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Tomlinson, Johnson, Gore, Barber, Jackson.

Top 5 rushers in '06.

3 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 1 third rounder (first pick in the third). And without the injury concerns, Gore would have gone much higher.

Fair enough, but all these guys are sitting at home for the Super Bowl and none of them played in a conference championship this year.

You don't have to have a top 5 rusher to go deep in the playoffs or win the Super Bowl.

A 1,000 yard guy or two would do the trick and be less expensive. However, that means the QB has to run a very effective offense.

I don't mind using a high draft pick on a running back, but it seems very clear that from a position perspective, it is a more risky of a pick due to injury concerns and getting more bang for your buck if you have the right offensive system with a productive QB.

1st round picks seem to be more suited to shutdown corners, franchise QBs, and top-tier lineman.

aj.
01-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Fair enough, but all these guys are sitting at home for the Super Bowl and none of them played in a conference championship this year.

You don't have to have a top 5 rusher to go deep in the playoffs or win the Super Bowl.
1st round picks seem to be more suited to shutdown corners, franchise QBs, and top-tier lineman.

My comment that you quoted was supporting information (nothing more nothing less) for the following statement made by Arlington Texan earlier in the thread:

The best Rbs in league are primarily first day with most of those being first rounders... - AT

I'm not taking that argument and running with it by any means but to further support AT's statement, the starting RBs in this Super Bowl were both 1st rounders [Addai (30th overall), Jones (7th overall) ... not to mention Benson (4th overall)...]

The sky is blue.

Hottoddie
01-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Texian
01-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Didn't ESPN say the same thing last year?

If Kubiak didn't want to give Clinton Portis a GTD $15 million why would he want to give another RB a GTD $15 million?:shades:

AP may look like the Edge in Indy playing in Oklahoma but running behind the Texans OLine he might look like the Edge in Arizona?

If the Texans passed on Bush (Barry Sanders) why wouldn't they pass on Peterson? (Bush was getting a lot more hype than Peterson is getting) :secret:

If the Texans think that a pass rush is higher priority than a RB they will pass on a RB.:winky:

If the Texans think that improving the OLine will improve the running and pass protection more than a RB they may pass on a RB.

If you think the Texans think they made a mistake with the 1st pick last year and will atone for it this year by taking AP. Call them! They will most likely say they are more comfortable with the pick today than they were 9 months ago.:stirpot:

AustinJB
01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
If the Texans passed on Bush (Barry Sanders) why wouldn't they pass on Peterson? (Bush was getting a lot more hype than Peterson is getting)

I'm not saying that this is the case, but couldn't it be possible?

Couldn't it be that the Texans would have taken Bush if they could have worked out a contract w/ him? Or even....
:secret:....that they could think AP is better, or at least a better fit than Bush was?

Who cares how much hype there was/is over a certain player? The Texans proved that they are not concerned w/ the hype. They will take who they want regardless of whether there is a large or small amount of hype surrounding said player.:ok:

If the Texans think that a pass rush is higher priority than a RB they will pass on a RB.:winky:

If the Texans think that improving the OLine will improve the running and pass protection more than a RB they may pass on a RB.

If the Texans think that taking BPA is better for the team than taking a need position, and AP is available, they WILL take a RB:ohsnap:

TheOgre
01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
I think when the dust settles, the Texans will have spent a first day selection on either a RB or QB.

HOU-TEX
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
What do y'all think of Jay Moore from Nebraska? Will he be around for our 2nd round pick?

Will Patrick Willis fall to the second round? Rufus Alexander? As you can tell, I'm for drafting defense the first 2 rounds. Any thoughts on these players falling to us in the 2nd?:shades:

real
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
What do y'all think of Jay Moore from Nebraska? Will he be around for our 2nd round pick?

Will Patrick Willis fall to the second round? Rufus Alexander? As you can tell, I'm for drafting defense the first 2 rounds. Any thoughts on these players falling to us in the 2nd?:shades:

I don't think P.Will is going to fall to the second...

I'm not sure about Rufus, and Jay Moore probably will....

I think P.Will, depending on his combine, might be the first LB taken...

DayneBum
01-30-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm going to partially agree with you.

Bush is a more explosive halfback. He's the type of guy who is capable of taking it to the hole everytime he touches the rock, and his versitility to play HB, WR and KR/PR is not to be ignored. I think he's the type to put up routine 1,400 yard seasons in terms of All Purpose Yards.

However, I truly believe Peterson is the better pure HB of the two. He's never had to share the load at Oklahoma, and from Day 1 when he stepped foot on campus in Norman, he was mature beyond his years. I see him being a Larry Johnson type, who will be able to carry the rock 30 times a game and get you a buck fifty on the ground and will get you 1,500 yards per season.

It all depends on what your tastes are. I think if you're looking for the Earl Campbell type back, who you can build your offense as a running team around, you take AP. Bush, on the other hand, is the type that if your looking for a run and gun, air it out type offense, Bush is your guy.

Also, what durability issues? The guy suffered two freak injuries. Find me one HB in the NFL who hasn't suffered some kind of injury, severe or non severe, and I'll point you in the direction of the practice squad guy who's parked on the furthest depths of the bench.

Look, Frank Gore had durability issues coming out of college. The guy had two blown knees and was one good hit away from having his career turn in to KiJana Carter's quickly. Trust me, that is an injury history to look at, moreso than a collarbone break and an ankle injury. Yet, in spite of this, he's been durable thus far, and the 49ers sure haven't regretted it. I think the same can be said for Peterson, and anyone who selects him. I hope it's Houston.

Also, why is Gary Kubiak's "draft history" being drug in to this? Since when do offensive coordinators have major say on who teams draft?

It's not just talent bro. It's about team individual need.

Matt Leinart had a hell of a Combine last year, and had the resume coming out of USC that were as good as any QBs of recent memory. Yet, he fell to 10. Not because he was injured and surely not because he lacked talent. It was because of need.

Just looking at this year's draft, there's really only one team in the top 8 that I think COULD go HB besides Houston, and that's Cleveland who also happens to need a QB. It's very realistic that Peterson could go to Houston at 8, regardless of how good he performs at the Combine.

Well, Did the Saints really need a rb last year? No, if u ask me.They had Duce Mc, which is a proven rb in all aspects of the game, they had just signed Micheal Bennet, and they had Stecker, and they still drafted Bush. i dont see AP falling to us at all at #8. Any one of the top 7 teams can/will grab him. what team picking in the top 7 can u really say despartley needed a rb in last years draft?

DayneBum
01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
My comment that you quoted was supporting information (nothing more nothing less) for the following statement made by Arlington Texan earlier in the thread:

I'm not taking that argument and running with it by any means but to further support AT's statement, the starting RBs in this Super Bowl were both 1st rounders [Addai (30th overall), Jones (7th overall) ... not to mention Benson (4th overall)...]

The sky is blue.

Yea they are 1st rounders, but they arent in the top 5 for rushing. they're not even in the top 10. The Texans also have a 1st round rb already on the roster. Still goes to show u that u dont need a top tier, money hungry rb to go to the superbowl.:ok:

kcwilson
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
I'd love to see AP drop down to the #8, and then find a team that really wants to trade up for him, since I think you would get guys biting at a trade if he were avaialble at #8. Hopefully, we could trade down to the middle of the 1st round (maybe with GB) and draft Ryan Khalil C as an anchor for the OL. He could probably start right away and displayed quickness to pick up the ZBS. I woulc gladly take another 2nd or additional pick in the future to in exchange for a lower pick where we can get good value.

I don't want to have to sign a huge contract again.

I agree with most that we will pick up a QB or RB on day one... probably 3rd round. 2nd round I bet we pick up one of the depth players in the secondary.

Hottoddie
01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
[/B]

Well, Did the Saints really need a rb last year? No, if u ask me.They had Duce Mc, which is a proven rb in all aspects of the game, they had just signed Micheal Bennet, and they had Stecker, and they still drafted Bush.

They obviously, watch a lot of ESPN.

Lucky
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
If Kubiak didn't want to give Clinton Portis a GTD $15 million why would he want to give another RB a GTD $15 million?:shades:

One, Kubiak didn't make the decision on trading Portis. That was Mike Shanahan. And a major reason for that was because Portis wanted to renegoiate his contract (which still had 2 years remaining). Plus, Champ Bailey plus a 2nd round pick for Portis was a steal for the Broncos.

I don't know where you saw that a pass rusher was a higher priority than a RB. And why would a pass rusher have to be selected at #8? Anthony Spencer. LaMarr Woodley. Quenton Moses. Tim Crowder. Jay Moore. All edge rushers who will likely fall out of the 1st round.

El Tejano
01-30-2007, 01:27 PM
One, Kubiak didn't make the decision on trading Portis. That was Mike Shanahan. And a major reason for that was because Portis wanted to renegoiate his contract (which still had 2 years remaining). Plus, Champ Bailey plus a 2nd round pick for Portis was a steal for the Broncos.

I don't know where you saw that a pass rusher was a higher priority than a RB. And why would a pass rusher have to be selected at #8? Anthony Spencer. LaMarr Woodley. Quenton Moses. Tim Crowder. Jay Moore. All edge rushers who will likely fall out of the 1st round.

Amen!!!

Dunta_23
01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Figuring out who were going to draft at #8 isnt easy....because we dont know what the coaching staff is thinking...but they have said that they want playmakers and a pass rush....if a DE and Peterson falls then there will be a bigtime decision to be made....If one or the other falls then it will/should make the decision easier....BUT what if the Texans are targeting Levi Brown at 8 or Laron Landry and they pass on a Gaines Adams or Peterson for that matter....we are wayyyy to far away from the draft to predict a top 10....at this point last year there wasnt 1 person on the boards that saw Mario Williams as our #1 pick....It was all Reggie vs. Vince...There are soooo many outstanding prospects that could possibly be had at 8 its unbelievable....

Adrian Peterson
Gaines Adams
Jamaal Anderson
Alan Branch
Amobi Okoye
Levi Brown
Laron Landry
Reggie Nelson
Leon Hall

Just to name a few...ANY one of those players would be an immediate upgrade over what weve got now

HomeBred_Texan
01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
you are making no sense. Why in the hell woud you want to waste another 1 on dl, Travis Johnson ring a bell..... And kolb will be gone b4 found 3. And plummer give me a break thats all i can say

Preach on Brother, tell it like it is. Would give you pos rep, but can't rep anyone for some reason... I am with you on this one...

FWIW...I think they will go Secondary with the #1 (unless AP falls to #8). If AP is available you take him. By they way he is nothing like Eddie George. EG ran almost straight up...AP runs more like (dare I say it) the Tyler Rose (shoulders down). However, its all mute as AP will be picked by the mistake by the lake. Look for the Texans to pick Irons or Lynch with their second rd pick. And a QB with the 3rd or 4th (KK anyone?). DL/LB will come with the
3rd or 4th. Best available the rest of the way...

We must sign a decent punter for next year!!!

I thought we had a punter, any in FA?

A 1,000 yard guy or two would do the trick and be less expensive. However, that means the QB has to run a very effective offense.

I don't mind using a high draft pick on a running back, but it seems very clear that from a position perspective, it is a more risky of a pick due to injury concerns and getting more bang for your buck if you have the right offensive system with a productive QB.

I thought Chicago was loaded up with 2 former top 10 RB picks? Did I miss something??? :stirpot:

Yea they are 1st rounders, but they arent in the top 5 for rushing. they're not even in the top 10. The Texans also have a 1st round rb already on the roster. Still goes to show u that u dont need a top tier, money hungry rb to go to the superbowl.:ok:

Sing it Brother. I feel it, tell them how it is...

Why does everyone think Kubiak ran Denver? I just don't get it... He was nothing more than an O Cord....

Texian
01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
One, Kubiak didn't make the decision on trading Portis. That was Mike Shanahan. And a major reason for that was because Portis wanted to renegoiate his contract (which still had 2 years remaining). Plus, Champ Bailey plus a 2nd round pick for Portis was a steal for the Broncos. Champ and a #2 was a by product after they decided not to give Portis the money. Kubiak was part of the process not give Portis the money.

I don't know where you saw that a pass rusher was a higher priority than a RB. And why would a pass rusher have to be selected at #8? Anthony Spencer. LaMarr Woodley. Quenton Moses. Tim Crowder. Jay Moore. All edge rushers who will likely fall out of the 1st round.Kubiak did say a pass rush would be given a BIG EMPHASIS, and the same could be said about RBs in RD2. I would rather have Jamaal Anderson and Michael Bush than AP and a 2nd rate pass rusher

DayneBum
01-30-2007, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=HomeBred_Texan;585508]Preach on Brother, tell it like it is. Would give you pos rep, but can't rep anyone for some reason... I am with you on this one...

I thought we had a punter, any in FA?

I thought Chicago was loaded up with 2 former top 10 RB picks? Did I miss something??? :stirpot:

yea top 10 in drafting wise, i'm talking about rushing yards.....neither one of them are in the top 10 this year.....not even Joey A-D-D-I-E

Lucky
01-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Kubiak did say a pass rush would be given a BIG EMPHASIS...
Well, here is what Kubiak said in his season ending press conference (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3271&section=N%20Latest%20News) regarding the draft and the Texans' needs:

(on philosophy on draft) “That’d be really hard to answer right now. I think that’s all going depend on where we are with our football team, and where we’re headed, where we think our greatest need is with those players that are available. That can change year-to-year. Whether it’s that need player at that position that you know he’s a starter and he’s going to contribute to your team for a long time. Or if there’s a situation on the draft where you feel like you’ve got to take the best athlete available, I think that can change from time-to-time. We end up, we are eighth, that is correct? We’ll see.”

(on fulfilling the need for pass rushers) “There’s no doubt, we’ve got to find a way to put some pressure on some people. We played a group yesterday that was missing a couple of guards and (defensive coordinator) Richard (Smith) dialed up plenty of zone gods trying to create pressure and that is one glaring thing that I’ve been looking at this morning, comparing progress, where there was progress and some things we didn’t do well. One of the first things that I looked at was the fact that we didn’t pressure the quarterback really well. we’ve got to figure out a way to do that and if we’ve got to be able to do that with four guys in this league if you’re having to dial-up zone dogs and blitz in this league week–in and week-out, specially in our division in my opinion, you’re going to get burned. So we’ve got to find a way to pressure the quarterback with four guys and that will be a big point of emphasis.”

(on what will be his offseason point of emphasis for the offense) “Well, I think it is obvious on offense. We have got to find a way to make some big plays. In this business it is so hard to sit there and march three and four yards a play and be that consistent. You have got to have guy that can get you on and off the field, that can make the big play. We didn’t score enough points. In this league you’ve got to find a way to score some points. So I would say the point of emphasis is we have to find some playmakers. We have to find some guys that can step up and make some plays whether it is a back, another receiver. Somehow we have got to make some big pays and score more points because we definitely didn’t do that this year.”

Kubiak used the word "emphasis" for both improving the pass rush and finding an offensive playmaker. He never indicated that one would be emphasized over the other. So I don't know what you were :winky: about.

Let me go on the record as saying that I don't believe Peterson will be on the board at #8. But if he were, I would much rather have Peterson and an Anthony Spencer than Jamaal Anderson and Michael Bush.

Texian
01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, here is what Kubiak said in his season ending press conference (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3271&section=N%20Latest%20News) regarding the draft and the Texans' needs:

Kubiak used the word "emphasis" for both improving the pass rush and finding an offensive playmaker. He never indicated that one would be emphasized over the other. So I don't know what you were :winky: about.

Let me go on the record as saying that I don't believe Peterson will be on the board at #8. But if he were, I would much rather have Peterson and an Anthony Spencer than Jamaal Anderson and Michael Bush.

What we have here is a small misinterpratation from my original post, I wrote, "If the Texans think, and you took it to be my position. Not necessarily so as I must confess I don't know what the Texans are thinking. Let me join you on the record saying AP will not be available @ #8. We agree to disagree on your last statement.

Texian
01-30-2007, 08:46 PM

I am just having a little fun here parsing words, kinda of like what the defenition of is, is.

Kubiak did say finding playmakers was a point of emphasis after bieng prompted when asked, "on what will be his offseason point of emphasis for the offense." When asked about his need for fulfilling the need for a pass rush, Kubiak said it was a Big point of emphasis. So while playmaker is a point of emphasis a pass rush is a BIG point of emphasis....Your Turn!

Lucky
01-31-2007, 08:45 AM
....When asked about his need for fulfilling the need for a pass rush, Kubiak said it was a Big point of emphasis. So while playmaker is a point of emphasis a pass rush is a BIG point of emphasis....Your Turn!
Where in Kubiak's statement did he say the Texans needed to bring in another pass rusher? All he said was that they've got to find a way to rush the QB with 4 guys. Those guys may already be on the team. But, he did say that the Texans needed to find a playmaker, be it a RB or WR.

Not much of a challenge, Slick.

Mr. White
01-31-2007, 08:49 AM
I've heard Rick Smith say "we need to generate a pass rush without blitzing."

Hopefully that helps clarify.

Texian
01-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Where in Kubiak's statement did he say the Texans needed to bring in another pass rusher? All he said was that they've got to find a way to rush the QB with 4 guys. Those guys may already be on the team. But, he did say that the Texans needed to find a playmaker, be it a RB or WR.

Not much of a challenge, Slick.

Not much of a challenge because you really didn't rise to the occasion there chief.

Texian
01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
I've heard Rick Smith say "we need to generate a pass rush without blitzing."

Hopefully that helps clarify.

It pretty much does Battle Red, unless you let your bias get in the way of your common sense..