PDA

View Full Version : Picture this: Andre Gurode (C) and Albert Haynesworth (DL) become Texans

GP
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Gurode, according to ESPN Insider information (I can't provide a link because I pay for the Insider account and it can't be linked) is going to be a highly sought after free agent this offseason. The Cowboys desire his return to the team, but he can command good money around the league because of his performance.

Haynesworth, in the same Insider column, is not getting the love from the Titans due to his recent antics (stomping on Gurode's head) and his drop off in production. I read an ESPN Magazine article on Haynesworth recently, and it was one of the best articles I have read: He went to get training from a guy (a former NFL player) who taught Haynesworth how to get dirty on the field (legally) so that he could strike fear into the opposing o linemen, and therefore stop getting targeted by o linemen. It even talked about how he slugged Chester Pitts in the Titans-Texans game using the new tactics...the result was that he helped to blow up the running play.

Apparently Haynesworth has aplogized to Gurode. He felt awful about what he did. He felt he was getting cut blocked by Gurode, and so he retaliated with the foot stomp later in the game. During his suspension, he went for counseling and then went to get "special tactics" training that has enabled him to stay ahead of what the o linemen are trying to do to him.

Wouldn't it be something if we stole Gurode and solidified the center position with a proven commodity? And then what if we dumped a dead weight d lineman and added Haynesworth?

Huge
01-26-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't think Dallas plans to let Gurode walk because they do intend to let Al Johnson (back-up to Gurode) go.

So I think a team might have to over-pay Gurode (not out of the realm of possibility) to get him to leave Dallas.

mexican_texan
01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Haynesworth, but I'm not sure about Gurode.

WWJD
01-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I thought it was the Texans policy to not have any "character issue" players on their team. That would pretty much eliminate Haynesworth.

Mr. White
01-26-2007, 01:09 PM
I thought it was the Texans policy to not have any "character issue" players on their team. That would pretty much eliminate Haynesworth.

I think that's by in large a good policy. There are exceptions, though.

Corey Dillon was a bad character when the Patriots took him in. He just assimilated.

GP
01-26-2007, 01:28 PM
You should read the Haynesworth article in ESPN Magazine.

He's a guy who was under an extreme amount of pressure by Titans coaches during the offseason. They rode him 10 times harder than Kubiak rode TJ.

He snapped under the weight of the pressure, and the fuse was lit when he locked up on an o lineman...and Gurode threw himself into Haynesworth's knees. The Cowboys o linemen were audibly and very vocally telling him "We're going to take you out," among other choice phrases.

He was targeted by the Cowboys o linemen the whole first half. And when Gurode's helmet flew off near the goal line, Haynesworth took an opportunity to pay Gurode back for a possible season-ending cut block Gurode threw at him earlier in the game. The article shows a frame-by-frame depiction and you can see Gurode flailing towards Haynesworth's knees. It's obvious.

Doesn't excuse what he did, but the incident DID help him to gain perspective about himself. Like I said, it was a great article. He felt remorse for what he did, but he also admits that nobody's talking about the cut block that could have ended HIS career. It cuts both ways. Both were dirty and illegal tactics. But Haynesworth has since been trained by a former NFL'er who has taught him tricks that are legal...tricks to get o linemen away from him instead of them trying to bully him all the time.

I would overpay for Gurode--Look at playoff teams and tell me what caliber of center they have in comparison to other teams that are not in the playoffs. Hogdgon (sp?) was invisble out there, and we had to bring McKinney into the center position. If we spend a draft pick on a center, he might not pan out. But a proven free agent isn't going to disappear all of a sudden. That's why I'd lock up a proven center and get it over with, even if we did overpay.

I think Haynesworth would be a steal for what he's been through at Tenn.--They probably want him to move on. We'd get a great run stuffer, which is what we need with Mario's pass rushing speed.

I think when we look at guys in the NFL getting ARRESTED, then that's the sort of character that "Yes" McNair would not want on this team. But I think Haynesworth is a case whereby he was getting dogged by coaches, and then he was getting dogged by o linemen, and his inner instincts overtook him. Getting arrested for crimes, and reacting to cut blocks (which are illegal in the NFL, btw) are two dofferent things to me.

I think he'd prosper under our team's care.

I'm hoping this team makes dramatic moves in free agency. I want to see an owner who opens the wallet and spends on proven quality players. Indy, IIRC, is over the cap or something to that effect--They are spending to win a championship. Chicago drafted almost entirely DEFENSE to the shock of many...and it's paid off. You have to go against the grain sometimes, and I want to see our trenches on both sides of the ball get its due respect from the FO and coaching staff. We're in a position to do the dramatic.

TexanDrifter
01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Gurode went to Baytown HS and I was hoping we drafted him back in 2002 with the Gaffney pick. He went 4 picks later to the Cowboys.

Small point...Gurode went to North Shore. We may be close to Baytown, but we certainly arent Baytown. :shades:

mexican_texan
01-26-2007, 02:43 PM
We need some of the resident Cowboys fans to chime in on this. I don't want to go after FA linemen after our experiences with Wade and Riley unless it's for a guy that could get us over the hump.

WWJD
01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
He's ok but I've always felt he has sort of underachieved.

As for the Haynesworth incident there has never been any mention of anybody trying to cause him injury.

Sounds like a bunch of made up nonsense to me.

And besides nobody in their right mind stomps on somebody's face on the field with cleats. That's criminal.

And if he felt that HIS career was in danger by illegal blocks why didn't he say so right after the game rather than coming out and saying he didn't have any excuses and he was ashamed and all that.

Coach Fisher never said a word about the Cowboys blocking nor did anybody else at the time.

mexican_texan
01-26-2007, 02:50 PM

As for the Haynesworth incident there has never been any mention of anybody trying to cause him injury.

And besides nobody in their right mind stomps on somebody's face on the field with cleats. That's criminal.

And if he felt that HIS career was in danger by illegal blocks why didn't he say so right after the game rather than coming out and saying he didn't have any excuses and he was ashamed and all that.

Coach Fisher never said a word about the Cowboys blocking nor did anybody else at the time.
Stuff like that is common. Carson Palmer complained and he got blasted by fans and some writers.

doughboy
01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Nobody likes to take titans out of free agency because they never end up working in another system see........

Robaire Smith
Kevin Dyson
Samari Rolle
Steve McNair
Andre Dyson
Javon Kearse
Derrick Mason
Lance Shulters
Justin Mcariens
Billy Volek
Justin Hardwick
Fred Miller(hes a starter for the bears but hes their worst o lineman)
Eddie George
Robert Holcomb

Joe nedney is the best FA the titans have ever produced.

scourge
01-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Small point...Gurode went to North Shore. We may be close to Baytown, but we certainly arent Baytown. :shades:

and there are 2 5-A schools in Baytown, so just saying Baytown HS isn't sufficient

ledzeppelin229
01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't think Dallas plans to let Gurode walk because they do intend to let Al Johnson (back-up to Gurode) go.

So I think a team might have to over-pay Gurode (not out of the realm of possibility) to get him to leave Dallas.

Has Johnson gotten any playing time? They took him first day if I remember right...is he out simply because of Gurode's production or a combination of that and him being a disappointment?

TheCD
01-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if they both ended up on the same team. Wouldn't that just be awkward?

GP
01-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Gurode went to Baytown HS and I was hoping we drafted him back in 2002 with the Gaffney pick. He went 4 picks later to the Cowboys.

Jason Witten = similar situation, correct?

How did that happen so much? Oh yeah, I remember now...my bad.

Texans Horror
01-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Haynesworth is making up BS so improve his chances of a fat contract from somebody else. No link, but the stuff I read/saw at the time of the incident is that Haynesworth has a history of this sort of cheap-shot play, so no, I don't think he'll be coming to Houston any time soon.