PDA

View Full Version : HPF:(Richard) Justice served

Wolf
01-24-2007, 06:43 PM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant77.html
by Ric Sweeney
HoustonProFootball.com

Richard Justice long ago lost the ability (desire?) to inform; his last remaining bullet is provocation; cheap, self-serving provocation. And I know, I know - he’s a columnist, his job is to stoke our ire and generate interest in his publication. But he’s also bound by a code that requires responsibility and accuracy, and he seems not the least bit bothered with either of late.

Case in point, his most recent Texan fan-baiting screed, "Saints Show City a Revival is Achievable". While it may initially appear that Justice is shedding a light on the New Orleans Saints and their remarkable season, make no mistake about it, his real focus is the Texans, though he never actually mentions them by name.

By lauding the Saints and what they’ve accomplished this year, Justice is really just sticking it to the Texans and all that they didn’t accomplish. And while it’s overtly obvious the two worst teams in football last year (by virtue of record) have taken wildly divergent paths in 2006, using the Saints as a standard to measure the Texans is nothing more than a cheap shot that does a disservice to both the team and its fans

Not that Justice has any obligation to blow sunshine through our anal cavities on behalf of the Texans; he most certainly does not. But he does have an obligation to not be lazy; to not wallow with the lowest common denominator; and above all, to maintain his, and by extension our integrity.

Wolf
01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, sure, the Saints were sunk by Katrina; I promise you, Charlie Casserly did more damage than a hurricane ever could.

that needs to be nominated for one of the posts of the year

ojthecat
01-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I read Justice's article and I do not see it that way at all.

Texan_Aggie222
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry, you can't compare the Saints to the Texans. They had loads of talent the year they went 3-13. They were always an underacheiving team until Sean Payton arrived and lit a fire under them. They had a couple of key free agent pick-ups like Drew Brees and Hollis Thomas and had great motivation and determination to play well, and plus played in a weaker conference.

If you want to compare somebody to the Texans, make it the Titans. Then we are on a level playing feild.

TexanSam
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow...this guy has a beef with Richard Justice. I think he's overblown the whole thing.

Ole Miss Texan
01-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Plus every game last season was a road game for them. They finally got to play home games this season and the hype and excitment added to that was dangerous for opposing teams.

thunderkyss
01-24-2007, 07:25 PM

by Ric Sweeney
HoustonProFootball.com

By lauding the Saints and what theyíve accomplished this year, Justice is really just sticking it to the Texans and all that they didnít accomplish. And while itís overtly obvious the two worst teams in football last year (by virtue of record) have taken wildly divergent paths in 2006, using the Saints as a standard to measure the Texans is nothing more than a cheap shot that does a disservice to both the team and its fans

Sounds like Sweeney's trying to pick a fight. If RJ was taking a shot at the Texans, then what for?? for not taking Bush with the #1 overall?? I thought Reggie's already proven that he wasn't worth the #1 overall...

or for not bringing in a QB like the Saints did??

ledzeppelin229
01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Wow...this guy has a beef with Richard Justice. I think he's overblown the whole thing.

I think a lot of it is pretty much on target. Justice is a pretty lazy writer that thinks he is being clever with his subtle references, but anyone that consistently reads his crap knows the truth. Stick your head down a toilet filled with diarrhea on a daily basis and you will know what its like. When Justice trashed the Astros before they went to the World Series, he tried to turn it around like he was the reason they did so well. Now this year, he is all over the anti-Mario Williams bandwagon as he pumps up players from other cities more than he has ever done for our own team. He sells out to the highest bidder at every juncture and just perpetuates preconceived opinions about the Texans, their players, and their fans. His style of reporting is such a disgrace that I wish they would just divide up his salary among the guys at HPF and Texans_Chick because they already do his job for free, and lock him in a giant FedEx box with Nashville as the destination. And please, don't put a return address.

Texian
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Sounds like Sweeney's trying to pick a fight. If RJ was taking a shot at the Texans, then what for?? for not taking Bush with the #1 overall?? I thought Reggie's already proven that he wasn't worth the #1 overall...

Dick is still very bitter and hasn't gotten over the fact that the Texans did not draft VY or RB. He is a cheap shot artist and once again he is getting called on it.

Hulk75
01-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Who cares........:bubble:

Anguyen
01-24-2007, 08:26 PM
never like flip flop Justice

aj.
01-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Bizarre, reaching, paranoid, defensive....

A deranged instant classic for those who like to wallow in misery. Everyone is out to get us you know...

I had to go back and re-read that Justice piece to see if it was the same one I had read (it's a week old). I'm not big on Justice but I thought it was kind of a nice tribute to our NFC neighbors to the East. All Justice said was the Texans made a mistake with the first pick of the 2006 draft -- a position that quite a few happen to agree with. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/4475934.html. I also happen to agree with Justice's position - whenever he gets the opportunity to say it - that Casserly is a fool.

Keep reading between the lines Ric and I'll sleep well knowing that you are fighting the good fight against all those bad guys out there who are out to get us....

As for me, I'm looking ahead to free agency and the draft...

Erratic Assassin
01-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Everyone is out to get us you know...

I can't wait until we're good enough to blame the refs on our losses. He'll have a field day with that.

Tulip
01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Justice has found that expressing loud, wild opinions that change with the wind is the current success formula for sports reporters, and he's taking advantage.

Yes, the Saints underachieved last year because they had to play 16 road games after experiencing personal trauma with the hurricane (lost homes, etc). But they are an example how an upgrade at the QB position can make a huge difference.

old football fan
01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Richard Justice just got what he deserves. He is totally full of himself and needs to be barred fron the Texans team.

Texans_Chick
01-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Personally, I give the HPF piece an Amen.

The Saints article wasn't terribly subtle, and Justice's blog when it talks about the Texans is nearly unreadable, unless you enjoy smug superficial rehash and amateur Don Rickles. Which is basically what Ric said.

The Chronicle sports writers have contests to see whose blogs get the most webhits. This encourages provocative posts.

McClain's blog is definitely a bonus for those wanting extra Texans coverage. I like reading a lot of his behind the scenes stuff. Justice, Lopez and Solomon are just trying to be provocative.

Personally, one of the reasons why I got involved with blogging over there is that I thought that the paper was absolutely unfair in the way that they handled the draft. And they have a tendency to not want to talk about anything but Carr stuff and draft mistakes.

Time will tell whether the Texans made a horrible mistake, but it was nasty to not provide much actual background information about Williams, other than a front of the sports page dishing about the biggest draft busts of all times. USA Today ran a story almost immediately about his background, and what happened to his brother in law. The Chronicle ran a similar story weeks later.

I'm not saying that they have to shill for the Texans, but it would be nice for fans to have more information about their number one draft pick other than he was a big freaky athletic guy.

But unfortunately, the only places that most Texans fans can get their information is through the Texans website (happy sunshine, though I am thankful for every video, every presser), or through the Chronic.

When the biases of the columnists are so apparent, it is hard not to read their articles without wondering whether their column is designed to truth tell or to just trying to be the latest told you so.

Humans. They are imperfect vessels of truthtelling. Some try better than others.

JMO.

Nighthawk
01-25-2007, 12:25 AM

This is stupid. Justice's unspoken point is legitimate and germane. The Saints had a great year with good moves in all the right sectors and terrific results. That the Texans didn't come close is also true and reflects badly on the team, the coaches, the entire operation.

Texans have a chance to get better next year. Maybe they will this time. Or maybe it becomes a 6 year pattern of incompetence instead of a 5 year pattern.

Double Barrel
01-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Richard Justice long ago lost the ability (desire?) to inform;

My respect for HPF.com is at an all-time high now.

I haven't enjoyed the Chronicle writers for awhile now. McLain is alright, but that's about the extent of it, and that's only because of his knowledge of NFL history and insight to many of his experiences and relationships.

But the rest of the staff followed McClain down the rabbit hole a long, long time ago. I can't even stomach Lopez's afternoon radio show. It's weak to begin with, and he just doesn't have the personality or depth of knowledge to carry a radio show for several hours a day. It's only a matter of time before that thing is yanked off the air.

As far as Justice, I stopped caring about his spin awhile back. I read it because 1) the sports page is given to me free every day, 2) nothing else to read in the bathroom, and 3) comedic value. I certainly don't take anything he says seriously, though, because it's all fluff to me.

GP
01-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I think a lot of it is pretty much on target. Justice is a pretty lazy writer that thinks he is being clever with his subtle references, but anyone that consistently reads his crap knows the truth. Stick your head down a toilet filled with diarrhea on a daily basis and you will know what its like. When Justice trashed the Astros before they went to the World Series, he tried to turn it around like he was the reason they did so well. Now this year, he is all over the anti-Mario Williams bandwagon as he pumps up players from other cities more than he has ever done for our own team. He sells out to the highest bidder at every juncture and just perpetuates preconceived opinions about the Texans, their players, and their fans. His style of reporting is such a disgrace that I wish they would just divide up his salary among the guys at HPF and Texans_Chick because they already do his job for free, and lock him in a giant FedEx box with Nashville as the destination. And please, don't put a return address.

Agreed.

He's like the celebrities who go to France and denounce our country. They do that stuff because they know they will be worshipped and idolized...they know it makes easier for them when they go and vacation in Paris. They have the media and the masses on "their side" in other words.

RJ is the same: He wants to take a poll and then write in a way that makes him look like the smartest guy in the room.

It's a defense mechanism geared to mask his inability to stand up for what's right. He'll always be the guy who sees a sinking ship and says "Oh, a ship is sinking" and not the guy who says "I need to find a way to help the people on the ship."

By all means, he should be able to say what's on his mind about the Astros and what they are doing to fail, but to call them dead and buried was just over-sensationalized to the point of comedy when they turned it around and were in the world series. You'd think he'd learn his lesson about that stuff...but he won't.

He's too far gone. He's a hater, and he's making his living off of laughing at us. It just makes life easier for himself in the end: Other people in other areas agree with his views, and he plays up to that.

It's the Houston sports media culture that's trickled down to the fans and the citizens. When the Rockets finally were about to win their first title, all the stories were about how the fans had no faith that it could happen...they just knew that we would choke...the media and the fans even embraced the Choke City label for pete's sake.

Heck, even in Boston you could sense that the fans KNEW it was destiny that was about to launch them into a world series victory. Those guys have a better sense of sports destiny than we do. Yeah, they believe in curses and all...but you could see on their faces and in their expressions that they KNEW they were going to win.

Kubiak has his work cut out for him, not just from a team logisitical standpoint, but because he has to overcome haters that cover his team. Even McLain is more interested in what HE can get out of it than he is in the success of the team: He flaunts his behind-the-scenes elbow rubbing and his good 'ole boy connections with Bud Adams as what he's most proud of. He's about the personal relationship aspect of covering the NFL, who he gets to know and what he gets to do, rather than feeling a personal responsibility to covering the team that's RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. He hasn't divorced Bud yet, and so he's not even really and truly married with the Texans yet.

RJ and McLain are two writers that are not really serving Houston and Houston fans in the best possibler fashion.

Yes, give us your critiques and unabashed opinions, but please do it in a way that's somewhat respectful and mindful that THIS is where you live, and We are who you write to. It's like the obnoxious relative in your family that always brags about what he's doing...and then begins to downplay whatever it is that YOU are doing. Nice, eh?

I have seen better writing on this message board than I have seen in those guys' columns. Texans Chick should be a columnist. Period. Her level of knowledge and her level of passion for the Texans are leaps and bounds ahead of McLain. It's scary.

ledzeppelin229
01-25-2007, 12:02 PM
When I think of Justice and his writing, I think of a little High Schooler that is tired of his friends in Chess club and wants to make it into the "popular" crowd but just doesn't have what it takes. In his desparation, the kid keeps throwing his geeky friends (no offense to chess club members) under the bus hoping it will make him fit in with the cool crowd, when he should just make the best of what hes got and let things happen naturally. Justice trashes the city and its players because right now its the cool thing to do on the national scale and he has no problem throwing Houston under the bus if it eventually gets the attention of a national syndicate. Well Richard, if it gets you any closer to the "ranking" (Or should I say, rank) sportswriters of SI and ESPN, I hope you keep it up so we can get rid of you in Houston.

Texans_Chick
01-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Want to let the Chronic know what you think?

FanBlog Link (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2007/01/is_the_houston_chronicle_respo.html)

There's nothing going on so I wrote about it. I suggest if you like or dislike what you are reading on your sports page, that you put a polite constructive comment over there.

ledzeppelin229
01-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Want to let the Chronic know what you think?

FanBlog Link (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2007/01/is_the_houston_chronicle_respo.html)

There's nothing going on so I wrote about it. I suggest if you like or dislike what you are reading on your sports page, that you put a polite constructive comment over there.

I don't know. I don't have too much polite or constructive to say about the Chronicle sportswriters...Might give it a shot though.

Texans_Chick
01-25-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't know. I don't have too much polite or constructive to say about the Chronicle sportswriters...Might give it a shot though.

I have discovered in my life that if you write polite thoughtful things, you are more likely to get people to listen to what you say than if you fly off the handle. YRMV.

Part of me is a cynic, a snark, and a critic. I am also one of the most enthusiastic earnest idealists when it comes to inviduals working together to create positive change. You never know if you can do something unless you try.

In other words I'm nuts.

TheOgre
01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I like Jerome Solomon. He seems to have more objectivity than the other guys. I think you have to be slanted and biased to get a job with the Chronicle sports dept these days.

Porky
01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm sort of with AJ on this one. I don't get why so many people, including many on this site, get their panties all twisted in a wad over a sportswriter. It's some friggin ink and paper. What does any of that have to do with my daily life, or enjoyment of sports? Nothing, that's what. I read it in the morning. I agree. Or I disagree. I go to work. I come home. I eat. I go to bed. And, then I wake up the next day and do it again. Somehow, believe it or not, I haven't noticed much impact on my personal life one way or the other. I think a big round of chill pills or 2 hours on a Dr's couch explaining why some ink and paper gets you people so riled up is in order.

Texans_Chick
01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm sort of with AJ on this one. I don't get why so many people, including many on this site, get their panties all twisted in a wad over a sportswriter. It's some friggin ink and paper. What does any of that have to do with my daily life, or enjoyment of sports? Nothing, that's what. I read it in the morning. I agree. Or I disagree. I go to work. I come home. I eat. I go to bed. And, then I wake up the next day and do it again. Somehow, believe it or not, I haven't noticed much impact on my personal life one way or the other. I think a big round of chill pills or 2 hours on a Dr's couch explaining why some ink and paper gets you people so riled up is in order.

They are the place where most Texans fans can get their news. It is better now that the official site carries the press conferences (THANK YOU!). They are the ones that have the access and can ask the questions that fans want to know about.

There might be a little AP or USAToday coverage on the team, but most of the coverage is going to be from that paper because no other newspaper is going to write about the team, and there is no other newspaper in town.

For better and for worse, they set the water cooler talk of the town. I can't say that a snide Justice column ruins my day or changes my life in any way, but gee, I just like to be able to drink a cup of coffee and read quality information about my team without wondering if I am only reading the information that fits a particular thesis.

It's the offseason. There is little to talk about.

kcwilson
01-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm sorry, you can't compare the Saints to the Texans. They had loads of talent the year they went 3-13. They were always an underacheiving team until Sean Payton arrived and lit a fire under them. They had a couple of key free agent pick-ups like Drew Brees and Hollis Thomas and had great motivation and determination to play well, and plus played in a weaker conference.

If you want to compare somebody to the Texans, make it the Titans. Then we are on a level playing feild.

You would have to compare the Detroit Lions as the best analogy to the Texans. Just compare the QB and WR positions, both hav ebad OL, and very versatile RBs. Defensively, they might be slightly better with more veterans, but still relatively unproductive. Their record over the life of the franchise is similar to the Texans and they have also unwisely used their 1st round picks in a similar way.

By the way, if Detroit doesn't draft Mike Williams and drafted Derrick Johnson like most of their fans wanted them too (remember they took Ernie Sims this year to fill in that mistake previosuly), San Diego very likely would have drafted Williams (needing a WR for their offense), thus leaving Merriman to us, instead of trading down for Travis Johnson. I have many reasons to blame Detroit for f;ing that draft up for us and them.

Double Barrel
01-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't get why so many people, including many on this site, get their panties all twisted in a wad over a sportswriter. It's some friggin ink and paper. What does any of that have to do with my daily life, or enjoyment of sports?

Just a thought here, Porky...

Many of us are well-known Texans fans among our friends, families, peers, etc. As such, we end up having to take the heat for being Texans fans. And when people's opinions are framed by the constant whine and crying over spilt milk that seems to permeate the Chronicle staff...well, let's just say the crap gets old.

FACT: We didn't pick Reggie Bush or Vince Young.

QUESTION: What does crying about the 2006 draft 9+months later accomplish? Obviously the Texans FO doesn't listen to fans or get swayed by the media. How about get over it and move onward and upward? I'd expect this attitude from an average fan on the street, but a professional sports writer?

FACT: The Texans are improving, and 2006 season was better than the 2005 season.

QUESTION: What does whining about the first four years have to do with the future? Instead of hearing/reading information that gives us something to look forward to and even provide a glimmer of hope, all we get is the same, stupid article written over.

These writers run out of ideas, especially original ones. So they hash and rehash, over and over, until the point that the average fan (you know, the ones that don't participate in internet forums or call radio shows) has an opinion framed by what they read in the paper or hear on the radio. It's like a flock of sheep, constantly bleating, and there is absolutely no positive function served by dishing out to us the same old argument time and time again.

I'm just tired of the media living in the past. What's done is done, now let's move on.

Blu
01-25-2007, 05:29 PM
great topic..thanks for putting out that blog TC!

TwinSisters
01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
alright since the theme is Justice, I hereby henceforth shall take up the role as the Advanced Dick Justice Unfair Defense Initiative Council of America for Texans and Etc. in this here kangaroo court.

FACT: We didn't pick Reggie Bush or Vince Young.

QUESTION: What does crying about the 2006 draft 9+months later accomplish? Obviously the Texans FO doesn't listen to fans or get swayed by the media. How about get over it and move onward and upward? I'd expect this attitude from an average fan on the street, but a professional sports writer?

FACT: The Texans are improving, and 2006 season was better than the 2005 season.

QUESTION: What does whining about the first four years have to do with the future? Instead of hearing/reading information that gives us something to look forward to and even provide a glimmer of hope, all we get is the same, stupid article written over.

These writers run out of ideas, especially original ones. So they hash and rehash, over and over, until the point that the average fan (you know, the ones that don't participate in internet forums or call radio shows) has an opinion framed by what they read in the paper or hear on the radio. It's like a flock of sheep, constantly bleating, and there is absolutely no positive function served by dishing out to us the same old argument time and time again.

I'm just tired of the media living in the past. What's done is done, now let's move on.

I hereby submit that the answer to your general query is rather simple; the incessant whining helps prevent future blunders by the aforementioned offending parties. One would make care, take heed, and exercise greater caution in making such blunders in the future if they are fully aware that a mistake ( or series of mistakes as in this case ) would result in 20 years of the aforementioned incessant whining.

This is evidence of the positive influence of dishing out the same old argument over and over ( and over ).

the defense rests on this motion

Texan_Aggie222
01-25-2007, 09:53 PM

No, I don't have a "beef" for Richard Justice. If I want my Baseball information in the city of Houston, I'll turn to him. If he is giving football information, I'll turn the other year. Its like an English teacher trying to teach to Science. It just doesn't make sence.

The city of New Orleans went though a Natural Disaster and caused devestation unlike we have ever seen before on our soil. The New Orleans Saints were caught in the middle of it. In those 5 months after the storm, I am sure the last thing on their mind was football, and it should have been. Then, with their hope restored and their will and drive to succeed and the whole city of New Orleans inspiring them they went out and represented the city by not giving up, not backing down, and giving everything they got until there was no more. That is what got them to the NFC Championship Game.

The story of the 2006 New Orleans Saints I think is one of the best sport stories EVER. There heart and love for a city should never be forgotten. They represent everything thats right in this world.

THAT is why you can't compare the 2006 New Orleans Saints to the 2006 Houston Texans. I understand what Richard Justice was trying to do, but you just can't do it, and I personally had a hard time reading it.

phan1
01-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Even I have beef with Justice! This guy is a total retard with fan-boyish fervor. Everything he writes somehow has to do with us making a terrible decision to take MW. Hey Justice, GET OFF IT ALREADY! He's always looking for a cheap story/fluff piece. He should move to Dallas, where all the other drama queens are. This guy absolutely deserves to get the boot, and I would love to see him go away.

whiskeyrbl
01-26-2007, 06:34 AM
I too am sickened most of the time that I read the Chron's sports page. All of the writers seem to denounce anything that our teams do, unless they win a championship. I think this is do in part to no competition in the industry. When we lost the Post they pretty much were able at that point to write anything they wanted because they are the only form of information and views being circulated in paper form in Houston. I think we need another newspaper in Houston again. Oh and as far as reading the paper in the head, I do to but it also can serve another function if you have'nt had time to get to the store.... If ya get my meaning.