PDA

View Full Version : On Sports Center this morning, Clayton said...

gtexan02
01-24-2007, 11:11 AM
3 things of interest for you offseason people out there:

#1) Asante Samuel came off his best season ever. He publically said he doesn't want to follow in the footsteps of Ty Law, Deion Branch, David Givens, and Adam Vinatieri in leaving the Patriots. However, he also said he is primarily looking for a big pay check in the area of a Champ Bailey type deal (7 years, $65 million). It was also noted that his arm has a tatoo that reads, "Get Paid" Given the Patriots reluctance to pay their big name players and make stars out of nothing, expect him to go elsewhere.

#2) The Texans have reportedly shown high interest in targeting Adrian Peterson in the draft at the #8 pick. Apparently the Texans FO said they preferentially want to try and get Joe Thomas, and if he falls they will draft him, but since he probably won't make it out of the top 5 (Arizona), they are targeting Peterson

#3) The Texans have also reportedly targeted Jake Plummer to replace David Carr if he is released by the Broncos. Clayton made the same sort of statements that the Texans offense depends on someone being able to create outside the pocket, and that Plummer is one of the best QBs in the NFL at throwing while running. While not a star, he'd be an upgrade. He also made the point that up until last year, Plummer had shown significant improvement playing with Kubiak.

Mr. White
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Great post. Thanks GT.

Ole Miss Texan
01-24-2007, 11:18 AM
You think they're setting up a smokescreen like last year. pretending to be interested in mario and all....wait a minute nevermind.

I see AP as being the most likely person to fall to us that somebody would want to trade up for. Rick Smith has said he's not going to reach and is going to take the bpa...but also said he's not against trading down if a player falls that other teams would want.

I'd be okay either way. Peterson can make a big difference.

Wharton
01-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Great post but I hope the Texans don't do either of those things.

Replacing DC with Jake is not an upgrade. I mean really, just look at his numbers from last year.

And, we already have one back on the IR, do we really want another one?

How stupid is our FO?

yourfavoritetexan42
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
We need to sign either Samuel or Clements due to the fact that there is very little talent at the corner position in the draft. Leon Hall, the top rated corner, in my opinion is a top 2nd round talent, doesn't belong in the first round. Watch his games against Ohio State and USC. Those are the same receivers you'll be seeing in the nfl.

If the Texans landed AP, that would be HUGE. That would be landing two number one picks two years in a row. And it would make us look really smart passing on Bush, because who cares, we have AP who, in my opinion, is much better than Bush overall. That would put is in a great position on offensive skill players... except the fact we don't have a very good offensive line. I really hope Spencer comes back healthy and Winston improves...

NEROtheZERO
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Looks like Smith is trying to raise the value of Peterson/#8 pick. Sounds like they are going to hype up the value and, assuming Thomas has been taken, see what kind of offers they get for the pick. If they get something deemed worthy they will move back, if not, take Peterson

gtexan02
01-24-2007, 11:30 AM

Replacing DC with Jake is not an upgrade. I mean really, just look at his numbers from last year.

How stupid is our FO?

In response to the Plummer question, you can't really compare last years numbers to this years, as his decline in performance can best be attributed to change in offensive coordinator. The best comparison would be to liken his 05 performance to Carrs 06 performance

Secondly, while I'm not speaking stricly out of knowledge here, it seems that APs injury was a "freak accident" and that its nothing we should worry about.

Double Barrel
01-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I saw that on EPSN, too. Nice to see the Texans get some coverage, even with the backhanded swipes pertaining to last year's draft.

If AP is available at the 8th pick, he's definitely BPA. It would be nice to see him in a Texans uni, and would definitely give many Texans fans a renewed sense of hope.

Samuels would be a great addition, but we've got too many needs to tie up so much money with one position. I won't get my hopes up that we'll be in the running for that one.

gtexan02
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
The problem with being the Texans right now is that we are in a catch 22.

I don't like the idea of signing FAs that are only interested in money, but at the same time, most FAs that we even have a shot at are only interested in money. Who knows if Samuels performance is purely indicative of his incentive to "get paid"

My guess is that because of his "playoff performances" a legitimate contender will try and sign him. It'll be like Carlos Beltran

DocBar
01-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I would LOVE to get a good CB via FA. That would be HUGE for our draft. I will be SERIOUSLY butthurt if we draft AP. IMO, we are close to having a pretty dominant D. I would like to see us draft the best defensive player avilable at #8. We've seen flashes of brilliance from the offense. If we can get our Oline healthy all around and improved in a couple of spots, I think we can have a team like the Ravens. Carr or Sage would be able to keep us from losing games and let the D win them. It would be great if Al Davis did one of his wacky things and took Carr off our hands....

valleytexfan
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
good post...let's see what our Texans do...:yes:

hot pickle
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
is it really that smart to tell people who your interested in, in the draft, cause now cleveland will be like trade with us or were pickin AP??

TEXANS84
01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
is it really that smart to tell people who your interested in, in the draft, cause now cleveland will be like trade with us or were pickin AP??

Smokescreen's. We're taking a punter #8.

Mr. White
01-24-2007, 12:03 PM

I say let's trade with 'em. They could use another QB....:stirpot:

real
01-24-2007, 12:04 PM

I don't think that's an issue....

We have so many needs to fill that we can just take whoever they pass on or trade the pick totally....

nunusguy
01-24-2007, 12:06 PM
This of course will be our first Draft with the Smith-Kubiak combo, and the
first Draft that Casserly is not involved, so it might have a different look to it.

aj.
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
The Texans can't afford Samuel (with or without the s).

AP at 8 works for me. So does trading down and getting an extra pick or two.

Plummer is a definitely an upgrade - just not in the physical sense. Many will be surprised at how the OL 'improves' with a QB who's not jacked up between the ears. Plummer is not the answer and makes his share of mistakes, but he certainly has more fire in his belly and is more adept at doing the things NFL QBs are supposed to do, like seeing the entire field, not panicking when the #1 read isn't open, and being able to sidestep an onrushing linemen instead of going fetal every time. If all we need is a game manager, we already have Sage. We need a QB that can make something out of nothing once in a while.

thunderkyss
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM

How stupid is our FO?

Stupid is not seeing how Jake is an upgrade over David Carr. Take his first six years in the league, and you'll see he's accomplished more with as little as Carr's had in his first 5. Take Jakes last 3 years, and again you'll see he's earned the Starters job, where it's been given to David Carr.

we also have a QB, two corners, an LT, two DTs, a Center, & a whole slew of players on IR.

real
01-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Plummer is a definitely an upgrade - just not in the physical sense. Many will be surprised at how the OL 'improves' with a QB who's not jacked up between the ears. Plummer is not the answer and makes his share of mistakes, but he certainly has more fire in his belly/leadership qualities and is more adept at doing the things NFL QBs are supposed to do, like seeing the entire field, not panicking when the #1 read isn't open, and being able to sidestep an onrushing linemen instead of going fetal every time.

Thats how I feel about it....

thunderkyss
01-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Plummer is a definitely an upgrade - just not in the physical sense. Many will be surprised at how the OL 'improves' with a QB who's not jacked up between the ears. Plummer is not the answer and makes his share of mistakes, but he certainly has more fire in his belly/leadership qualities and is more adept at doing the things NFL QBs are supposed to do, like seeing the entire field, not panicking when the #1 read isn't open, and being able to sidestep an onrushing linemen instead of going fetal every time.

I agree.... Samuels may very well have established himself as the top Corner in this league.. doesn't mean we should go running after him, especially considering the money he'll be asking for. He's setting himself, and whatever organization that signs him up for failure.

Plummer........ I hope they stipulate that he's gotta ditch that faux mountain man look.

TexanAddict
01-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Plummer........ I hope they stipulate that he's gotta ditch that faux mountain man look.

I think if he were to come here, the practices in the Houston heat would do the trick.

aj.
01-24-2007, 12:17 PM

One July practice and the grizzle will be in the trash can...

Of course, Kubiak wears that longsleeve sweatshirt out there...

nunusguy
01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Stupid is not seeing how Jake is an upgrade over David Carr.

If nothing else it eliminates the whole polarizing issue of David Carr.
That way everybody can find something else to fight about and ridecule
each other for not choosing their point of view.

thunderkyss
01-24-2007, 12:21 PM

If we trade with Cleveland, we'll take Joe Thomas..... some might think he's worth our first, an extra pick, and a player(SamkonGado, Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Lewis Sanders, Edell Shepard, etc..... )

IF Cleveland takes AD, then we'll still be sitting pretty waiting for someone else to fall....... Gaines Adams, Alan Branch........... or we just take Marshawn Lynch, and we can say "we wanted Peterson, but since he was already gone......"

TheOgre
01-24-2007, 12:26 PM
If AP makes it past Cleveland, I think he will fall to us UNLESS someone tries to trade ahead of us and grab him. I've thought about the prospect of trading Carr to Minnesota to swap 1st round selections. This would only be necessary if Minnesota was on the clock and had some offers to trade down.

aj.
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I've thought about the prospect of trading Carr to Minnesota to swap 1st round selections. This would only be necessary if Minnesota was on the clock and had some offers to trade down.

Or we could just wait for the Vikes to let the clock run out again and we get #7 anyway.

Double Barrel
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Can you imagine the uproar that would result? :hairpull:

Many will be surprised at how the OL 'improves' with a QB who's not jacked up between the ears.

shhhhh....Dirty Little Secret alert :secret:

real
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I've thought about the prospect of trading Carr to Minnesota to swap 1st round selections.

I think that's too much to give up just to move up one spot...

tulexan
01-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Or we could just wait for the Vikes to let the clock run out again and we get #7 anyway.

Pretty good chance of that happening too. If Peterson is on the board with the Vikings on the clock, we will have our fastest runner waiting for that clock to hit 0:00 so we can snatch him while the Vikings are day dreaming.

U4ikrob
01-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Plummer is a definitely an upgrade - just not in the physical sense. Many will be surprised at how the OL 'improves' with a QB who's not jacked up between the ears. Plummer is not the answer and makes his share of mistakes, but he certainly has more fire in his belly and is more adept at doing the things NFL QBs are supposed to do, like seeing the entire field, not panicking when the #1 read isn't open, and being able to sidestep an onrushing linemen instead of going fetal every time. If all we need is a game manager, we already have Sage. We need a QB that can make something out of nothing once in a while.

What he said.

El Tejano
01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Looks like Smith is trying to raise the value of Peterson/#8 pick. Sounds like they are going to hype up the value and, assuming Thomas has been taken, see what kind of offers they get for the pick. If they get something deemed worthy they will move back, if not, take Peterson

Your statement is by far the best of what to think The Texans are doing. It makes alot of sense.

I do see the waters around here starting to get a little rough for the guys in the clubhouse.

thunderkyss
01-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Your statement is by far the best of what to think The Texans are doing. It makes alot of sense.

I do see the waters around here starting to get a little rough for the guys in the clubhouse.

We can not hype up the pick to add value by saying we want Peterson... All that does is increase the odds that someone will trade ahead of us, or if we pass on Peterson, it will increase the odds that someone will trade in the spot behind us.

If we are sold on Peterson, and let everyone know that, other teams will feel our expectations are too high, and not even bother.... see last year.

If Peterson is the guy we want, we have to show little or no interest in him. Otherwise the #7 pick is actually of more value.

Miami would have to show interest in AD to increase the value of the #8 pick.

The best thing that could happen that would increase the value of our pick, would be for Oakland, Detroit, & Cleveland to pass on QBs.........

IMHO, it would be the right thing to do. Oaklands got real problems, and need Joe Thomas more than they need a QB.

Detroits already ruined a number of 1st round QBs to think that is the direction they need to go....

& Cleveland is on the brink of being a real contender with the QBs they already have. Frye & Anderson may never be Elite in this league, but I think both may be better than avg...

Tampa may pick Quinn, or Russell, it's doubtful, but they might. No one would fear Arizona, Washington, or Minnesota from drafting the other QB, then with us & Miami on the clock, the last top ten QB will most likely not last....

However if we show no interest in a QB, teams would feel it's more reasonable to trade up to 8, and not higher, if they don't need to.

As soon as we show we may be interested the value of the #7 pick goes up.

We've got to appear to be in such a state of need, that we need extra picks to even be competetive in '07. When the offer is made, we can make it clear that we won't be taken advantage of, and expect equal value.....

The Dream
01-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll repeat "no to plummer"

Porky
01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
I'll repeat "no to plummer"

I'll repeat - Yes to Plummer.

He is better than Carr. Not great, but better.

Ole Miss Texan
01-24-2007, 03:17 PM
If a team really wants peterson they will want to trade with minn. minnesota would trade down and prob pick up a receiver? which would be a stretch at 7. you dont trade with a team that would want the player, you jump them so they have no leverage.

The Dream
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I'll repeat - Yes to Plummer.

He is better than Carr. Not great, but better.

I'd rather take my chances with Sage....

GuerillaBlack
01-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I would much rather have Marshawn Lynch than Adrian Peterson.

Ole Miss Texan
01-24-2007, 03:36 PM

I'd like to see more of sage, i like him. I don't know what he's like as a true starter for our team but from what we have seen of him he's everything you'd want in a back up, he's done well when carr sat down.

As far as our starting qb next season, be it carr/plummer/sage...i think they are just a short term decision untill we find our starter...i don't think we need to invest too much money or time in our current QB because I dont' see them being it long term. We do need a leader and someone that won't lose us games, and someone to help teach our 'project' qb of the future.

hot pickle
01-24-2007, 03:43 PM

and thats why you aint the coach

real
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM

Rather ?

It's not the kind of situation where you have to choose...

Why not bring in Jake Plummer and let all of them compete...

That-a-way, we have the best starter possible, AND quality depth...:lightbulb:

Untamed Guerillaz
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM

im with you guerillablack why would the texans want a back who been hurt every year he been in college i.e. A.Peterson, i say go with lynch better running back IMO.......holla:marionaner:

gtexan02
01-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd like to see more of sage, i like him. I don't know what he's like as a true starter for our team but from what we have seen of him he's everything you'd want in a back up, he's done well when carr sat down.

As far as our starting qb next season, be it carr/plummer/sage...i think they are just a short term decision untill we find our starter...i don't think we need to invest too much money or time in our current QB because I dont' see them being it long term. We do need a leader and someone that won't lose us games, and someone to help teach our 'project' qb of the future.

I agree with your statement. I have zero reason to believe that Sage will be anything more than a backup, but without proof, it means nothing. His stats in past years say it all so far though:
Fantastic off the bench
Horrible when starting

Coming of the bench and playing a defense that didn't study your game film is an entirely different monster than starting a game and having the defense ready for you

dirty steve
01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Coming of the bench and playing a defense that didn't study your game film is an entirely different monster than starting a game and having the defense ready for you
That was the argument I was trying to make. Nobody expected Rosenfels to come in, and the tacks D wasnt exactly pinning their ears back. There wasnt any excuse to be made for Carr in that game, but it's not like you could annoint Sage the starter either.

thunderkyss
01-24-2007, 06:11 PM

Marshawn scurrs me..

hot pickle
01-24-2007, 06:17 PM
like someone on these boards said the other day we dont want marshawn because he looks like a thug and says "uhh" alot in interviews :laughjump:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd be happy with either Adrian or MarShawn but i think MarShawn would be more exciting!!!

jdog
01-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Plummer might work because the defense won't be able to keep him in the pocket seeing as how there won't be a pocket.

bigcarlos
01-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Jake over DC anyday:yahoo:

Texan_Aggie222
01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
WOW..........since when did John Clayton begin talking about the Texans on ESPN? I must have been sleeping this morning and missed that once in a lifetime experience. I hate it when that happens.

Anyways, Samual will get paid. There is no doubt about it. And it won't be us whose paying him. Some GM's have him ranked as the 2nd best corner in the league behind Champ Bailey. Others are saying he is the second best in this Free Agent class behind Nate Clemons. I think that GM's can use both Samual and Clemons in their negotiating to say "hey look, there is this other guy out here that we can go after if you want a higher figure..." but I don't think both of them will even get close to $65 million. $55 at the most.

Its a no brainer that the Texans would bring in Jake Plummer if he was releashed. I don't think it would be that bad of an idea. If nothing else, he knows the system (or as least he should) like the back of his hand and can help David understand it and succeed in it. I mean this system was good enough to get Plummer to the AFC Championship game, and who was Plummer's OC during that season? Kubiak, and I think he could get the best out of Plummer.

As far as the draft, it only makes since that Rick Smith is targeting the two best players in this draft, Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson. Who isn't? Everything involving the draft is just speculation at this point, you can't even begin to guess what is going to happen until after the Senior Bowl, the Combine, and Free Agency begins. John Clayton can talk about this in April.

TexansFanatic
01-24-2007, 07:54 PM
im with you guerillablack why would the texans want a back who been hurt every year he been in college i.e. A.Peterson, i say go with lynch better running back IMO.......holla:marionaner:

2004 Okla. 339 1925 5.7 80 15 148.08
2005 Okla. 220 1108 5.0 84 14 100.73
2006 Okla. 168 935 5.6 53 10 155.83
College Totals 727 3968 5.4 84 39 132.27

Peterson had a high ankle sprain in 2005 and a broken collar bone in 2006. Those aren't the kinds of injuries that worry NFL scouts. He has been compared to Eric Dickerson. Compare his numbers to Eric Dickerson's
career totals at SMU: 45 TD's, 790 carries for 4,450 yards.

BattleRedToro
01-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Everything involving the draft is just speculation at this point, you can't even begin to guess what is going to happen until after the Senior Bowl, the Combine, and Free Agency begins. John Clayton can talk about this in April.

And I'm sure he will.

gtexan02
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM

Peterson had a high ankle sprain in 2005 and a broken collar bone in 2006. Those aren't the kinds of injuries that worry NFL scouts. He has been compared to Eric Dickerson. Compare his numbers to Eric Dickerson's

Just so you know...

He missed 1 game in 05, and came back to play the bowl game this year in 06

joedinkle
01-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Its a no brainer that the Texans would bring in Jake Plummer if he was releashed. I don't think it would be that bad of an idea. If nothing else, he knows the system (or as least he should) like the back of his hand and can help David understand it and succeed in it. I mean this system was good enough to get Plummer to the AFC Championship game, and who was Plummer's OC during that season? Kubiak, and I think he could get the best out of Plummer.

Ok, i'm apart of the get rid of Carr bandwagon, but this gave me a thought. Let's say McNair is really in love with David and is going to give him another year. I know, bear with me for a second. We bring in Plummer as the QB coach. He knows the system. What if he could coach david up to his potential. Just a thought. But again as I said, I want a new QB as much as the next man.

bah007
01-24-2007, 10:09 PM

He's been compared to Eric Dickerson?

Is Reggie Bush as good as Barry Sanders?

trutexan02
01-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Let's not forget. Plummer, while his numbers looked bad, the Broncos were 7-4before they made that lame QB change (not that it was a bad call, Cutler has a cannon for an arm) and they went downhill.
Let's make a small comparison here... Plummer 7-4 starter, Est. same pace the rest of the season...let's say he falls bit in winning % they finish 10-6 and in the playoffs. at least.

Cross conferences, the Bears have a mediorce QB at best, he's in the super bowl. Somehow I think Bears fans are not too upset about his play at this point.

Grade: Plummer= winner
Carr= Loser

I am not against picking up winners.
Carr does have the potential to win, but he has not shown it here.
If you have the opurtunity to pick up Plummer I don't see why not. That being said, I wouldn't give up too much since we do have Sage and he seems to be a decent QB under center too.

Adrian Peterson is not a potential IR candidate, he broke his collar bone, BIG DEAL. Any one of us could fall off chair and do that. His legs, hands and brain are 100% healthy. DRAFT HIM. DDW is an IR guru. I like him but he is not helping us from the sideline. Time to find a long term RB.

:fireball:

trutexan02
01-25-2007, 02:37 AM
He's been compared to Eric Dickerson?

Is Reggie Bush as good as Barry Sanders?
NO BUSH ISN'T ...next question.

GP
01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
We can not hype up the pick to add value by saying we want Peterson... All that does is increase the odds that someone will trade ahead of us, or if we pass on Peterson, it will increase the odds that someone will trade in the spot behind us.

If we are sold on Peterson, and let everyone know that, other teams will feel our expectations are too high, and not even bother.... see last year.

If Peterson is the guy we want, we have to show little or no interest in him. Otherwise the #7 pick is actually of more value.

Miami would have to show interest in AD to increase the value of the #8 pick.

The best thing that could happen that would increase the value of our pick, would be for Oakland, Detroit, & Cleveland to pass on QBs.........

IMHO, it would be the right thing to do. Oaklands got real problems, and need Joe Thomas more than they need a QB.

Detroits already ruined a number of 1st round QBs to think that is the direction they need to go....

& Cleveland is on the brink of being a real contender with the QBs they already have. Frye & Anderson may never be Elite in this league, but I think both may be better than avg...

Tampa may pick Quinn, or Russell, it's doubtful, but they might. No one would fear Arizona, Washington, or Minnesota from drafting the other QB, then with us & Miami on the clock, the last top ten QB will most likely not last....

However if we show no interest in a QB, teams would feel it's more reasonable to trade up to 8, and not higher, if they don't need to.

As soon as we show we may be interested the value of the #7 pick goes up.

We've got to appear to be in such a state of need, that we need extra picks to even be competetive in '07. When the offer is made, we can make it clear that we won't be taken advantage of, and expect equal value.....

You're giving way too much credit to Detroit--They WILL again spend their pick on the best QB/WR/RB available because it's what they do. It's what Millen does.

Cleveland has QBs that are not bad? Wow. I see nothing special there. I see guys who look like they were brought in during an NFL strike. They need a QB in the worst way.

I don't think AP lasts long enough for us to draft him.

I think Calvin Johnson, Jemarcus Russell, Joe Thomas, AP, and the two defensive lineman are the top-rated "freakishly talented" players that are going to go off the board 1-2-3-4-5-6 no matter who takes them or trades up to get them. They'll all be gone by the sixth pick.

That leaves us with what I believe to be a second-level tier of players like Reggie Nelson, Laron Landry, Troy Smith, Ted Ginn Jr., Marshawn Lynch, etc. that we can either draft or try and trade out of.

Of course, this is IF we stay at no. 8 or try and move up a few spots to grab one of the top-rated "freakishly talented" players that are just on a different level than the other players.

It all depends on what Smith-Kubiak want to do. And it might depend, as well, on what they get done in free agency BEFORE the draft hits. That can change things, too.

It's too early to tell. I do think, though, that last year we were told straight up (by Texans FO leaks to media) that we were seirously and honestly interested in Mario...nobody believed it and whammo! it happened.

Thus, I will tend to lean towards "what we say we will do, we will do" logic. I don't see McNair-Kubiak-Smith really desiring all that much to play the head games like other teams do--They just go out and make no qualms about who they want and who they are targeting. Makes sense, from an organizational standpoint, because you want rookies to believe that they were the ones the team wanted all along. Helps create a loyalty if you ask me.

To say that Cleveland and Detroit are all of a sudden going to get smart and draft a lineman or some other low-key position is absurd. Ducks quack, lions roard, and the Lions and Browns ALWAYS pick the flashy and explosive QB/WR/RB. I think Cleveland picked Courtney Brown on defense one year, and that's been the only anamoly if you ask me.

Winslow Jr.
Braylon Edwards
Charles Rogers
Joey Harrington
etc.
etc.

It's a pattern.

We went Carr-AJ-Dunta-TJ-Mario

That's Offense-Offense-Defense-Defense-Defense

I'd say we're at least batting above .500 and Detroit and Cleveland are nowhere near that with their first picks.

Again: It's what the Lions and Browns do (screw up their draft position).

TexanFanInCC
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
3 things of interest for you offseason people out there:

#1) Asante Samuel came off his best season ever. He publically said he doesn't want to follow in the footsteps of Ty Law, Deion Branch, David Givens, and Adam Vinatieri in leaving the Patriots. However, he also said he is primarily looking for a big pay check in the area of a Champ Bailey type deal (7 years, $65 million). It was also noted that his arm has a tatoo that reads, "Get Paid" Given the Patriots reluctance to pay their big name players and make stars out of nothing, expect him to go elsewhere.

#2) The Texans have reportedly shown high interest in targeting Adrian Peterson in the draft at the #8 pick. Apparently the Texans FO said they preferentially want to try and get Joe Thomas, and if he falls they will draft him, but since he probably won't make it out of the top 5 (Arizona), they are targeting Peterson

#3) The Texans have also reportedly targeted Jake Plummer to replace David Carr if he is released by the Broncos. Clayton made the same sort of statements that the Texans offense depends on someone being able to create outside the pocket, and that Plummer is one of the best QBs in the NFL at throwing while running. While not a star, he'd be an upgrade. He also made the point that up until last year, Plummer had shown significant improvement playing with Kubiak.

nice pull.

i hope we dont target peterson. as good as he is, i think the texans can have success with chris taylor. the running game sucked early on this yr, but some of that can be attributed to the fact that carr was not able to consistently burn defenses from stacking the LOS. its harder to run like that. i think we need to upgrade the defense at the line. i would still pursue a DT.

i wouldnt mind plummer over carr. plummer has won before under kubiak. he may not have the same team as he did in denver, the system is the same, and i still think he would be an upgrade over carr. i still think the texans may take a QB in the 3rd - 4th round to groom for the future. rosenfels will still be here, but i dont see him, nor plummer, as a long term fix. draft kevin kolb! :shades:

real
01-25-2007, 11:55 AM
NO BUSH ISN'T ...next question.

:bowser:

Arky
01-25-2007, 12:57 PM
#3) The Texans have also reportedly targeted Jake Plummer to replace David Carr if he is released by the Broncos.

"Reported" or "rumored"?

Link please, if reported... thx

Lucky
01-25-2007, 01:02 PM
"Reported" or "rumored"?

Link please, if reported... thx
gtexan02 relayed comments made by ESPN NFL "expert" John Clayton from yesterday's Sportscenter. Hence the title of the thread.

El Amigo Invisible
01-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Dear Bob McNair,

Please do not draft Adrian Petterson. He went to college in Oklahoma and can not be trusted

Much Sympathy,

Vince Young

Arky
01-25-2007, 01:12 PM
gtexan02 relayed comments made by ESPN NFL "expert" John Clayton from yesterday's Sportscenter. Hence the title of the thread.

Ah, so then it's "rumored". LOL.

Mr. White
01-25-2007, 01:22 PM
A rumor that was reported....

Arky
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM

Good, thank you. Glad we got that straight.:whew :)

Until the Texan front office actually comes out and says something definitive, rumor and speculation will rule the day. Hopefully, Clayton is not blabbing strictly from the Chronicle's propaganda...

Ole Miss Texan
01-25-2007, 02:09 PM

Reportedly it was a rumor that was reported..but thats just the rumor going around.

Erratic Assassin
01-25-2007, 06:46 PM

I was hoping for a long-snapper.

gtexan02
01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I reported that someone else reported that the Texans were rumored to have been interested in Plummer. Easy, right? :)

Pantherstang84
01-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Dear Bob McNair,

Please do not draft Adrian Petterson. He went to college in Oklahoma and can not be trusted

Much Sympathy,

Vince Young

Dear Vince,

Thank you for your concern. Your comments about Mr. Peterson do deserve some consideration. However, as an organization we do not give much credence to advice from other teams in our division.

Sincerely,

Bob McNair

P.S. Tell Bud Adams to have a nice life for me will you?

dbspi
01-26-2007, 02:09 AM
I think Calvin Johnson, Jemarcus Russell, Joe Thomas, AP, and the two defensive lineman are the top-rated "freakishly talented" players that are going to go off the board 1-2-3-4-5-6 no matter who takes them or trades up to get them. They'll all be gone by the sixth pick.

My preference is for Texans to draft AD at number 8 but if for some reason AD is drafted ahead of us then I will be happy with any of these guys at number 8. We have so many needs right now on both side of the ball that any one of the top 8 player can make a huge difference to our team and any of the top 8 players will be considered a need as well as BPA position. There is not a single spot on the roster where you can say we need any one.

Here is a list of the top 12 guys in the draft, they are not in any particular order and I believe Texans will end up with one of them. Any of these player will help us and it will be considered a need position.

1. JaMarcus Russell JR QB L.S.U
2. Brady Quinn SR QB Notre Dame
3. Calvin Johnson JR WR Georgia Tech
4. Joe Thomas SR OT Wisconsin
5. Alan Branch JR DT Michigan
6. Jamaal Anderson JR DE Arkansas
7. Adrian Peterson JR RB Oklahoma
8. Amobi Okoye SR DT Louisville
9. Gaines Adams SR DE Clemson
10. LaRon Landry SR S L.S.U.
11. Leon Hall SR CB Michigan
12. Reggie Nelson JR S Florida

I will be very happy with any of these guys on our team. If the Texans decides to trade down and pick up few more draft picks then I am happy with that as well.

Navy_Chris
01-28-2007, 04:30 PM
In my opinion, drafting Adrian Peterson would be just about as pointless as when we wasted draft picks to get Phillip Buchanon. We have too much talent at RB to even be thinking that way. Chris Taylor is a diamond in the rough at the position and if given a legit chance to show what he can do, I think everyone else will see that. What I think we need to do is trade down and draft Amobi Okoye out of Louisville. Nobody is going to tell me that we're going to have a stellar run defense with Maddox, Thomas and Travis Johnson, and Seth Payne playing in the middle. Everybody knows that you build a team from the inside-out, and this makes perfect sense. Eric Steinbach is a top free-agent guard we should also be focusing on in the offseason. Lance Briggs is likely to be franchised by the Bears, so that's out of the question. Other players we should think about in the later rounds are CB David Irons, LB Patrick Willis, CB Michael Coe, LB Prescott Burgess, WR Jacoby Jones...just to name a few that I think could help this team out a great deal.

ledzeppelin229
01-28-2007, 04:36 PM
In my opinion, drafting Adrian Peterson would be just about as pointless as when we wasted draft picks to get Phillip Buchanonl.

Giving up a 2nd and 3rd rounder to pick up a guy that made our team worse doesn't exactly equate to drafting an elite runner. Not to mention that was part of their justification for releasing Aaron Glenn. I still remember Casserly's babble about how our corners were set for like the next 6 years. If the swimwear thread memories didn't make me sick..revisiting that trade certainly has.

Navy_Chris
01-28-2007, 04:40 PM
One of my points is that drafting AP would be worthless. Okoye would be the better building block, added to a defense that boats Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans....that would definitely put the Texans on the path to respectability in the NFL.

cowboy62
01-30-2007, 09:26 PM
yall still going to S**K!!!:tease: