PDA

View Full Version : Parcells is retiring

reilli
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Bill Parcells just announced his retirement from coaching.

texanskan
01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Just heard the same thing, Fat Tuna did not win a divison or a playoff game in little d but I guess he was better than 5-11, 5-11, 5-11, 6-10

powerfuldragon
01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
will dallas' franchise enter a downward spiral?

Sportsfan
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Thats what i'm thinking.

TEXANS84
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
MSNBC is reporting on the front page that Bill Parcells has retired as the Cowboys coach.

More details to come...

www.msnbc.com

powerfuldragon
01-22-2007, 12:14 PM
already a thread about this.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
01-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, I never thought that Bill should have re-entered the coaching arena once he left. I guess he has finally seen that his glory days are behind him now and he needs to leave them in the past.
Back to suits (to cover up those man-boobies) and sports commentary.

StarStruck
01-22-2007, 12:16 PM

No. I am really sorry so see Parcells retire at this time, but the organization will continue to improve.

texasguy346
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
I really didn't think that Parcells would leave things like they are at the moment. His young QB is crushed after choking in the biggest moment of the biggest game he's played in his short career, and now Parcell's won't even be there to help him or the team to recover. There were signs that he might be leaning towards retirement with the recent departures of a few of his assistant coaches.

It will be interesting to see who Jerry Jones brings in to take over this team. It won't be an easy task that's for sure. There's quite a bit of talent there, but there are lots of questions marks. Who's the real Romo? Is he the player that we saw in his early starts? Or is he the player who fumbled quite a bit over his last few starts? Will he be able to shake off the stigma that's sure to follow him after choking on a national stage? If the new coach doesn't like what Romo brings to the table they could find themselves looking for a QB. What happens with TO? We've seen what he's done to other teams in his second year there. He tends to wear out his welcome rather quickly. Anyways farewell to a great coach & good luck.

Please_Evolve
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM

I think long as Jones keeps away from drafting, coaching affairs, personell decisions.....pretty everything except walking the sidelines....This team isn't in that bad of shape really. A good defensive core. Good receiver and running back corps. The line needs some help but not a whole lot. The biggest thing is having a coach that can reel in T.O. will become a pretty big deal. I'm sure Jones however like usual will be looking for a high profile hire.

Mr. White
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
It might actually be better for the players that he finally retires. Every year, there's always the same "will he or won't he" drama. It's a distraction.

Are you really gonna listen to a guy that you think won't be around next year?

powerfuldragon
01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm sure Jones however like usual will be looking for a high profile hire.
yup. the man likes to get as much press coverage as possible for everythting.

Wharton
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
After watching the Bears defense get after it on Sunday (and it was the first time this season I watched da Bears), I'd have to give serious consideration to the Bears DC.

TheOgre
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm glad he didn't do this a year earlier or Sean Payton might have been their coach. I love it when things go bad for Baja Oklahoma.

thunderkyss
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm sure Jones however like usual will be looking for a high profile hire.

Is that because most of his coaching hires have been high profile?? Jimmy Johnson(never been an NFL head coach), Barry Switzer(never been an NFL head coach), Chan Gailey(never been an NFL head coach), Dave Campo(never been an NFL head coach), Parcells has been the only "high profile" coach JJ has hired, and if he does it again, it would be because of the bad experience learned from the 3 out of 4 bad "low profile" coaching hires he's made.

Please_Evolve
01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Is that because most of his coaching hires have been high profile?? Jimmy Johnson(never been an NFL head coach), Barry Switzer(never been an NFL head coach), Chan Gailey(never been an NFL head coach), Dave Campo(never been an NFL head coach), Parcells has been the only "high profile" coach JJ has hired, and if he does it again, it would be because of the bad experience learned from the 3 out of 4 bad "low profile" coaching hires he's made.

Respectfully Switzer and Jimmy Johnson won College titles with pro calliber college programs.

Dave Campo and Chan Gailey don't realistically count. That was Jones' mock attempt to be the real coach with two puppets at the helm. The drafting between those years was attrocious and need i say more then Quincy Carter?

thunderkyss
01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Respectfully Switzer and Jimmy Johnson won College titles with pro calliber college programs.

Dave Campo and Chan Gailey don't realistically count. That was Jones' mock attempt to be the real coach with two puppets at the helm. The drafting between those years was attrocious and need i say more then Quincy Carter?

Even Parcells liked Q enough to start him ahead of Testeverde.... something he wouldn't do with Romo or Henson. Q was a talented QB IMHO, and if it weren't for the drug addiction, I think he'd have had a long career in the NFL. He may not have been an elite QB, but surely would flourish as well as guys like Kitna, Garcia, Flutie, etc....

If you consider Barry Switzer & JJ "high profile" in the same way that Bill Parcells was "high profile" then I guess you're right.... but I don't

Please_Evolve
01-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Even Parcells liked Q enough to start him ahead of Testeverde.... something he wouldn't do with Romo or Henson. Q was a talented QB IMHO, and if it weren't for the drug addiction, I think he'd have had a long career in the NFL. He may not have been an elite QB, but surely would flourish as well as guys like Kitna, Garcia, Flutie, etc....

If you consider Barry Switzer & JJ "high profile" in the same way that Bill Parcells was "high profile" then I guess you're right.... but I don't

I wanted them to stay with Randal Cunningham. Who pound for pound was one of the more talented QBs i saw play in the NFL. I thought it was pretty good recognition of him in the later years to become more of a pocket passer.

Far as Testaverde goes...never have been a huge fan. I think Q had more atheticsm and could make more plays. I thought he was a huge reach in the second round considering if i remember he didn't play a lot in college at Georgia. Wasn't that the same draft that Brees was taken?

(btw everytime i see that sig line i crack up)

thunderkyss
01-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I wanted them to stay with Randal Cunningham. Who pound for pound was one of the more talented QBs i saw play in the NFL. I thought it was pretty good recognition of him in the later years to become more of a pocket passer.

Agreed

Far as Testaverde goes...never have been a huge fan. I think Q had more atheticsm and could make more plays. I thought he was a huge reach in the second round considering if i remember he didn't play a lot in college at Georgia. Wasn't that the same draft that Brees was taken?

I'm just saying.... the kid could play.... I can understand the Cowboy faithful not being too excited about Q being "the future" and all.... but they had so many holes, and so many old players, that all they needed to do was keep their head above water for a couple of years.... & Q would have been perfect for that.

(btw everytime i see that sig line i crack up)

Yeah...... DB has a way of putting things........

OzzO
01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I think long as Jones keeps away from drafting, coaching affairs, personell decisions.....pretty everything except walking the sidelines....

So is there a pool on who gets a HC first - Oakland or Dallas? Agree with above though, at least Dallas has a good nucleus going. Oakland may... but if they do, it's all over the place.

WWJD
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I think Jerry would consider any of these:

Norm Chow

Norv Turner

Wade Phillips

Bob Stoops

TexanSam
01-22-2007, 01:36 PM
So is there a pool on who gets a HC first - Oakland or Dallas? Agree with above though, at least Dallas has a good nucleus going. Oakland may... but if they do, it's all over the place.

Dallas I think. The Cowboys is a more prestigious job to begin with. I mean, the QB coach at USC turned down the Raiders job. A college assistant didn't want it! Going to Oakland is like ending your career. At least the Cowboys have some talent. I think Jerry Jones will hire someone who he can easily fire after one season and go after Bill Cowher in 2008.

HoustonFrog
01-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Are you kidding. They have some talent. The Tunas way of coaching was not working. I'm excited about a new coach and think they will look at Ron Rivera and some other studs. JJ learned his lesson with the bad coaching decisions and Parcells had some control. I doubt he will recycle an old guy like Norv. Norv hasn't won as a head coach.

OzzO
01-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Dallas I think....I think Jerry Jones will hire someone who he can easily fire after one season and go after Bill Cowher in 2008.

Agree Dallas 1st as well, and oooooh - wouldn't that just be crazy for Cowher to end up at Dallas? I think Jerrah would pony up the $7 mil per for the chin.

Toro
01-22-2007, 01:52 PM
I think either Ron Rivera or Russ Grimm will get this job.

Imagine that.. A prominent member of the Hogs coaching the Cowboys. Hell hath frozen over if that happens.

BigWig
01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
My bet is Deon is head coach, he wants to coach baaaaaaad!:bubble:

Mr teX
01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
TO infected him, By the time next year rolls around, he'll have infected the whole team, mark my words........................................ boy it's going to be great!

HoustonFrog
01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
I think either Ron Rivera or Russ Grimm will get this job.

Imagine that.. A prominent member of the Hogs coaching the Cowboys. Hell hath frozen over if that happens.

I hope and that is what I said above. I just hope he doesn't bring back a Norv or go after Stoops. I would bet he will try and go after Cowher now but it won't work. With the young coaches out there it would be risky to put out a lame duck and then take a chance on Cowher. I hope T.O. goes.

eriadoc
01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Parcells put together a good team up there. If it weren't for the Jones factor, it might be even better (one less TO, at the very least). If Parcells were younger, I could see him molding this team into a SB winner.

As far as the coach thing goes, anyone think Jones will consider Singletary at all?

reilli
01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
There were a lot of names being thrown around today on Cold Pizza (this was the only thing they talked about for over an hour). Bob Stoops & Norv Turner were mentioned by more several people as was Bill Cowher (except they would have to pay off the Steeler's since he has a year left on his contract). Houston Nutt was another that some thought would be a strong contender.

Also the word is that T.O. will be staying another year which is partially why some are speculating Parcells is leaving a year before his contract is up.

Huge
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Bittersweet.

Wasn't too happy with the job Parcells did and really grew tired all the re-tread "Parcells guys" that were being brought in. So in that aspect, glad to see him go.

Unfortunately, Jerry Jones will be the one that names his replacement.

HoustonFrog
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
There were a lot of names being thrown around today on Cold Pizza (this was the only thing they talked about for over an hour). Bob Stoops & Norv Turner were mentioned by more several people as was Bill Cowher (except they would have to pay off the Steeler's since he has a year left on his contract). Houston Nutt was another that some thought would be a strong contender.

Also the word is that T.O. will be staying another year which is partially why some are speculating Parcells is leaving a year before his contract is up.

I don't trust any of these people. They are trying to make a name by throwing out Stoops and other "big" names but in general I have a hard time not believing that JJ doesn't see the young guys out there making a splash. I also think that he sees alot of quality coordinators being interviewed. I did heard that their offensive/line coach is a sharp young guy.

ESAD2-14
01-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I think Jerry would consider any of these:

Norm Chow

Norv Turner

Wade Phillips

Bob Stoops

Mike Sherman?

I know he, at the moment, is the Texans OC. But what if J. Jones actually looked at him to be coach for the 'boys.

HJam72
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
For the Cowboys head coach, I recommend Dom Capers. :ok:

DRIFTAWAY
01-22-2007, 04:34 PM
For the Cowboys head coach, I recommend Dom Capers. :ok:

and then for casserly to start coaching and coach the colts, pendry to coach the titans, and palmer to coach the jaguars.

TexanSam
01-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I'd like to see Mike Singletary get the job.

U4ikrob
01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4488429.html

Just the latest coaching vacancy. Good guy and tough coach, but obviously after last years TO episodes and getting "Romo'd" out of the playoffs again he had enough. Hope to see him back on the Tele again sometime soon or who knows maybe he will show up elsewhere next year?

On the coaching thoughts - I brought up a few weeks back that I thought Sherman might be in the running for this Job if he didnt get the cards gig, but he didnt get that job and Bill was still deciding up till now. Now that Sherman has been promoted to OC here, is that it - He's here for next year? I havent seen much on this move except a few press clips. My hunch is Sherman's still looking and would not be surprised if we get asked to interview him by JJ somewhere in the near future.

Thoughts??

doughboy
01-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Theres a rumor going around he wants to trade for Jeff Fisher....I wouldnt mind if he gave us 3 first round draft picks for him.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Parcells did a fine job in Dallas. Sure you can make the case of little playoff success, but when you look at the big picture how he took a team that was the joke of the NFL with Troy Hambrick and Quincy Carter as its stars, to a squad full of young extreme talent ready to be top contenders for several years to come.. it's an amazing thing. Lets face it, the Seattle game was like a freak accident. I would of loved to see what the Cowboys could do from there.

Aside from his GM work, this change needed to be made. He coached like it was the 80s, went by scheme rather than gameplan, ran one of the most unimaginative 3-4 defense in the league.. Overall, under-utilized talent.

I'm excited to see what the future brings. The word on all major Dallas boards points toward a relative unknown, Rex Ryan, defensive coordinator as the Ravens as the future. Bill Cowher is a major long shot, Ron Rivera would be nice.

If anyone for a second believes the team is headed toward a "downward spiral", you simply have no idea what you're even talking about.

bah007
01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
As a Cowboys fan there are two people I am very interested in.

Wade Phillips (Chargers D-coordinator) - runs the 3-4 defense perfectly and could take advantage of Ware the way he has Merriman. He also has head coaching exp. with the Broncos and Bills. He was born in Orange, Texas so the position might interest him.

Ron Rivera (Bears D-coordinator) - won a Super Bowl with the Bears as a player (and might get one this year as a coach). Runs an excellent defensive scheme with the Bears but the Cowboys are built for the 3-4 right now. No head coaching experience but he is very good at what he does.

thunderkyss
01-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Parcells did a fine job in Dallas. Sure you can make the case of little playoff success, but when you look at the big picture how he took a team that was the joke of the NFL with Troy Hambrick and Quincy Carter as its stars, to a squad full of young extreme talent ready to be top contenders for several years to come.. it's an amazing thing. Lets face it, the Seattle game was like a freak accident. I would of loved to see what the Cowboys could do from there.

Aside from his GM work, this change needed to be made. He coached like it was the 80s, went by scheme rather than gameplan, ran one of the most unimaginative 3-4 defense in the league.. Overall, under-utilized talent.

I'm excited to see what the future brings. The word on all major Dallas boards points toward a relative unknown, Rex Ryan, defensive coordinator as the Ravens as the future. Bill Cowher is a major long shot, Ron Rivera would be nice.

If anyone for a second believes the team is headed toward a "downward spiral", you simply have no idea what you're even talking about.

I like Parcells, & would normally make excuses for him... but......

He did a fine job of putting together some nice young talent, if he were the GM, I'd give him glowing reviews.... but with the Talent he had on that team, I think he way underachieved.

Give the Cowboys a tough defensive minded coach(Cowher...... Hasslett(not really, but sorta)........ but something along those lines) & Chicago won't have squat on Dallas, & that's with the players they have now.....

Give the Cowboys an offensive Genius...... Payton(I know it kinda hurts to bring it up now)... Sherman(sort of..)...... Martz..... you get the idea... & they would have been unstopable. TO.. TGlenn..... JJ & Barber... how can you screw that up, & not even go after the Seattle secondary..... & I didn't even mention Witten.

I could have coached that team to back to back SuperBowls(not really.... just a little hyperbole...)

I've been waiting for Parcells to turn on the magic, and get the Cowboys to play for something more than a win...... for something more than a paycheck, for something that transcends time..... but these Cowboys have no identity... after 4 years of Parcells, they're still clay ready to be molded. A damn good lump of clay, but a lump none the less.

HoustonFrog
01-22-2007, 08:07 PM
As a Cowboys fan there are two people I am very interested in.

Wade Phillips (Chargers D-coordinator) - runs the 3-4 defense perfectly and could take advantage of Ware the way he has Merriman. He also has head coaching exp. with the Broncos and Bills. He was born in Orange, Texas so the position might interest him.

Ron Rivera (Bears D-coordinator) - won a Super Bowl with the Bears as a player (and might get one this year as a coach). Runs an excellent defensive scheme with the Bears but the Cowboys are built for the 3-4 right now. No head coaching experience but he is very good at what he does.

I'm hoping Rivera is the guy.

Capster67
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Mike Sherman?

I know he, at the moment, is the Texans OC. But what if J. Jones actually looked at him to be coach for the 'boys.

I think Sherman would be the perfect person for the Cowboys. He has Texas ties with his A&M experience, an innovative offensive mind, and proven play-off experience. I'm really hoping Jones passes on him, but I can't help think Sherman would be a perfect fit.

TwinSisters
01-22-2007, 11:22 PM
I am hoping Phillips stays on with the Chargers and they get another shot at taking it all next year. And then he takes the HC reigns over there.

I don't know if Bum's heart could hold up to seeing his son take the reigns of the Cowboys. Heretical, Blasphemous, or something foul like that.

I like the Norv Turner idea better... or even making Chris Palmer their head coach is good. But no Wade. No, sir.

P.S.
By they way... if you haven't seen Wade's daughter, Ai carumba!!!! Talk about somebody that you would part a kingdom for after the first date. Plus you know, that would make the Bum your Grandfather-in-law. Mmmmm mph.

Huge
01-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't see them bringing in an offensive coach because they'd like to retain as much of the current offensive staff as they can. I also don't see them bringing in a defensive coach that won't use the 3-4.

I think it'll be Wade Phillips. That doesn't mean it'll be the right decision though. Some coaches just make better coordinators than head coaches (like Phillips and Norv Turner).

Aztequila
01-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Mike and Mike on ESPN say Lovie might be in the running, considering the Bears treatment of his contract. I like Rivera though. The offensive staff will do fine I say bring on a strong Defensive guy.

OzzO
01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
..P.S.
By they way... if you haven't seen Wade's daughter, Ai carumba!!!! Talk about somebody that you would part a kingdom for after the first date. Plus you know, that would make the Bum your Grandfather-in-law. Mmmmm mph.

Had to look, you're right (http://www.sportshollywood.com/asktphillips.html)

Charter PSL Fan
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Jerry Jones will take over the head coaching duties for the 2007 season.

thunderkyss
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't see them bringing in an offensive coach because they'd like to retain as much of the current offensive staff as they can. I also don't see them bringing in a defensive coach that won't use the 3-4.

I think it'll be Wade Phillips. That doesn't mean it'll be the right decision though. Some coaches just make better coordinators than head coaches (like Phillips and Norv Turner).

When Greg Ellis was healthy, they played a regular 4 man front, with two deep safeties...... the Cowboys won't have the problems we had going back to a 4-3. Bradie James will go back to the middle, they'll be able to put Bobby Carpenter in more plays(not playing behind Greg Ellis on the depth chart), and Aykin Aodele played OLB just a few years ago. Canty & Spears would make awesome DTs, and they'd still be able to rotate JFerguson, & JRatcliff in...

I'm not saying they will go away from the 3-4, just saying they can go to a 4-3 & not lose very much, since they played a lot of 4-3 this year.

StarStruck
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
With the news coverage this is getting in SA, you'd think he was making a run for the White House. KSAT actually sent their #2 sports guy to Dallas to stand outside the facility!!!

I second the motion that the Cowgirls need Dom Capers.:winky:

I can understand the coverage because this is big, no huge, sports story like no other, worthy to get up early and camp out.:winky:

I'm a Cowboys fan for life, but if Capers end up as head coach, I would be quite disappointed until a miracle occurs that didn't happen in Houston.

thunderkyss
01-23-2007, 11:58 AM
I can understand the coverage because this is big, no huge, sports story like no other, worthy to get up early and camp out.:winky:

I'm a Cowboys fan for life, but if Capers end up as head coach, I would be quite disappointed until a miracle occurs that didn't happen in Houston.

When you think of Dom Capers & the Cowboys, think of Carolina from Way back.... Kevin Greene Carolina. NFC Championship Game Carolina. Or last years Dolphins.. #5 in passing defense, #8 rushing defens, #5 in scoring defense, #4 in overall defense.

The man was Handicapped hear in Houston from the word go... and focused on the offensive side of the ball.... well, he focused on QB protection more than anything else. I doubt he'll make that mistake again. Let ChrisPalmer handle the offense. As long as there isn't pressure from above for Capers to micro manage the offensive line, he'll be OK.

TwinSisters
01-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Didn't Capers end up firing Chris Palmer? I wonder if they would play as well together again in Dallas.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Jerry Jones will take over the head coaching duties for the 2007 season.
LOL! He might as well. He thinks he can do it anyway.:shades:

Huge
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
When Greg Ellis was healthy, they played a regular 4 man front, with two deep safeties...... the Cowboys won't have the problems we had going back to a 4-3. Bradie James will go back to the middle, they'll be able to put Bobby Carpenter in more plays(not playing behind Greg Ellis on the depth chart), and Aykin Aodele played OLB just a few years ago. Canty & Spears would make awesome DTs, and they'd still be able to rotate JFerguson, & JRatcliff in...

I'm not saying they will go away from the 3-4, just saying they can go to a 4-3 & not lose very much, since they played a lot of 4-3 this year.
The best look I could come up with in a 4-3 alignment with the current personnel would look something like this:

LDE - Spears/Canty - Neither are suited to play inside and Spears played DE in a 4-3 in college. What made him so attractive in the draft was his ability to play DE in either scheme.
NT - Ferguson - He can play NT/DT in either scheme as well.
DT - Ratliff/Hatcher - If you rotate them, I think it will/can work.
RDE - Ware - Can he hold up as a DE full time? That'd be the biggest question.
LOLB - Carpenter? - I don't expect Singleton to be back. Nobody else on the roster to play here.
MLB - James - No brainer.
ROLB - Burnett? - Would have to address this in the draft/free agency.
LCB - Newman - No brainer.
FS - Watkins/Davis - Need to find a FS that can cover some ground. They're not the answer.
SS - Williams - Oh boy. That extension might be an albatross.
RCB - Henry - In my world, I'd move him to FS and draft his replacement.

That's what I'd like to see. Unfortunately, Jerry has said they will stick with the 3-4 for the time being.

Other than needing to find some youth at WR and OL, the offense is set. Don't touch it.

bah007
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM

I dont remember seeing Ellis at DE this year.

He and Ware come up on the line sometimes but they give a 3-4 look to the offense first.

The 3-4 defense will work for the Cowboys. All they need is a real FS.

thunderkyss
01-23-2007, 11:03 PM
I dont remember seeing Ellis at DE this year.

He and Ware come up on the line sometimes but they give a 3-4 look to the offense first.

The 3-4 defense will work for the Cowboys. All they need is a real FS.

ON 3rd & Long, the Cowboys played a 4 man front. Ellis & Ware at defensive end, with a hand on the ground, then Ferguson/Ratliff & Spears/Canty in the middle.

Huge
01-24-2007, 08:33 AM
ON 3rd & Long, the Cowboys played a 4 man front. Ellis & Ware at defensive end, with a hand on the ground, then Ferguson/Ratliff & Spears/Canty in the middle.
Playing a regular 4 man front on 3rd and long is much different than playing a regular 4 man front for the entire game.