PDA

View Full Version : In all honesty (no dreaming)...

macaronitoni
01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Lets be realistic here. What new additions (the major ones anywho) do you see joining our Texans next season?

TexanAddict
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I think the Texans top priority in FA should be a linebacker to play our SLB (Lance Briggs, CHI) and/or FS (Ken Hamlin, SEA or Deon Grant, JAK). I think we have ample room under the cap to realistically pursue at least on of these players, if not both. I don't believe we will be able to compete in a bidding war for either Nate Clements or Asante Samuel, although I would at least like us to look into acquiring Samuel. I just believe that these players will require to high a price to sign and that we would be better served by drafting a CB such as Houston, Ross, or Hughes in the 2nd.

I also think w should try to get Cory Redding (DE, DET) to come play closer to home. I don't think we could sign all of these players I mentioned, but one or two would greatly improve our defense.

joedinkle
01-22-2007, 05:57 AM
What are the chances of us getting Briggs? He doesn't want to plaly for Chicago anymore?

gtexan02
01-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Urlacher has publically come out and said that Briggs is the best guy he's ever played with. He is a pro bowler this year. I highly doubt Chicago lets him go, and even if they do, his price tag will be through the roof.

We just don't have the talent on the team to pursue top guys. In addition to money, all players (especially young pro bowl players) want a place where they will continue to fluorish.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Michael Lewis, the safety out of philadelphia. He definately wants out there due to him being benched by having one bad outing. He is a former pro bowler and calls houston home. This is a realistic signing due to there has already been reports about him wanting to come here.

I would love to bring in Asante Samuel, who already has a superbowl ring, to houston. He will be willing to leave the patriots for some more money. He makes a lot of big plays and I think he is the most talented corner out there (yes, including nate clements).

Nate Clements, claims houston home, but he wants to be the number one paid corner, he doens't deserve it, and there are teams who has better cap space so I don't see him coming.

If we cannot sign another corner, we can pick one in the draft in the later rounds who can compete for a starting spot, competition always brings out the best in everyone.

As for outside linebacker I think bringing in a free agent isnt necessary. I think the deepest position in the draft is outside linebacker. In the second round I would be stoked if we drafted Rufus Alexander out of oklahoma.

Terdell Sands out of Oakland would be really nice too, add some depth to interior defensive line and boy would it add some size. If we could plug him in there, you will see an even better season out of demeco ryans, and our other linebackers. A big, talented defensive line is a linebackers best friend.

So all and all, this is who I would like to see added:
Terdell Sands
Asante Samuel
Michael Lewis

Would fill in a lot role player holes that we have lacked. We don't need huge stars...we have 3 of them on defense. Mario, Demeco, and Dunta. Trust me they are players, once they have some good role players around them. We will have 3+ pro bowlers.

TexanAddict
01-22-2007, 10:51 AM
As for outside linebacker I think bringing in a free agent isnt necessary. I think the deepest position in the draft is outside linebacker. In the second round I would be stoked if we drafted Rufus Alexander out of oklahoma.

The draft does seem to be fairly deep at OLB, but the problem is that most of the top talent at OLB, including Alexander, project to the weakside in the NFL. Our main short-coming in our linebacker corps is on the strong side where Orr simply did not get the job done last year, only averaging 2 tackles per game and constantly being blocked out of the play. I'm not Greenwood's biggest fan, but he was more consistent this year and came in 2nd on the team in tackles, so the WLB is less a concern than the SLB.

If you consider that the FA market is fairly deep at the LB position, and Adalius Thomas will garnering the most attention, if Briggs leaves Chicago, I think we might have a chance to land him. But if not, someone like Diggs from the Panthers should be considered.

kcwilson
01-22-2007, 10:59 AM
The draft does seem to be fairly deep at OLB, but the problem is that most of the top talent at OLB, including Alexander, project to the weakside in the NFL. Our main short-coming in our linebacker corps is on the strong side where Orr simply did not get the job done last year, only averaging 2 tackles per game and constantly being blocked out of the play. I'm not Greenwood's biggest fan, but he was more consistent this year and came in 2nd on the team in tackles, so the WLB is less a concern than the SLB.

If you consider that the FA market is fairly deep at the LB position, and Adalius Thomas will garnering the most attention, if Briggs leaves Chicago, I think we might have a chance to land him. But if not, someone like Diggs from the Panthers should be considered.

I totally agree... there appears to be better depth in the secondary positions that at strong side linebacker. So I would be surprised if one of the top two draft picks is in the secondary and we pursue a veteran dt or slb in the free agent market.

TheTim5125
01-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Nate Clements is number 1 on my list because he is a very very solid corner. Not that it really matters that much but what was his relationship with eric moulds. moulds could probably talk to him and help get him here.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-22-2007, 11:24 AM

Good point, but I don't think we have the money to land Briggs or Thomas.... so Diggs might be our smartest option.

Also, the difference between strong side linebacker and weakside line backer isn't that big. So to convert one wouldn't be that much trouble. With my playing experience, I never saw that much of a difference between Free Safety and Strong Safety, and I saw no difference between weak side and strong side. (I played free safety). When we broke down the opponents and designed our scheme, we would always use our strenghts and find their weaknesses. If a player is a good blitzer, we blitz him, if he can cover really well, we drop him back in coverage. Its not like (which is what is assumed by a lot of fans) that their is a strong side line backer, who is bigger and stronger so he can play against the run, and then the weak side, who is faster and can always drop back in coverage. Both sides have to come up on the run, both have to cover the pass, both get the oppurtunity to blitz. When calling a blitz, you call it to their weaknesses I would say 90% of the time. For example, if a certain team lacks protection on the backside of the quarterback, then our weakside linebacker will be getting a lot of blitz calls that week.

So my point is, I think picking up the best outside linebacker available will help us, because he can easily be converted to one side or the other.

TexanAddict
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
...the difference between strong side linebacker and weakside line backer isn't that big. So to convert one wouldn't be that much trouble.

So my point is, I think picking up the best outside linebacker available will help us, because he can easily be converted to one side or the other.

I'm not so sure that converting a LB from strong to weak would be such an easy task. I agree that some LBs are talented enough and possess the appropriate skills to play either strong or weak, but to say you can draft a LB a put him in either position would be a bit of an over-statement. The SLB is over the TE and will be subject to more blockers on running plays and responsible (usually) for the TE on pass plays, while the WLB is allowed to be more free to roam with no extra blockers to his side. For a LB, like Alexander, who is known to have trouble shedding blockers and is a bit under-sized as well, putting him on the strong side would not be playing to his strengths.

NATHANHALE
01-22-2007, 12:50 PM
With the non-stop griping about our OL during the season, I'm really surprised there are no posts yet about players to upgrade it!!

cbnjwill
01-22-2007, 12:53 PM
this is an easy question. the texan need a new starting QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yea briggs and redding would be great additions if we still have carr at qb all the other moves we would make would be pointless. start with a qb change and then go from there. hell if thats the only move we make we a still better than last yr. theres not alot out there as far as FA qb's so lets go with sage and draft a qb in the firsy three rounds

Hulk75
01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Lets be realistic here. What new additions (the major ones anywho) do you see joining our Texans next season?

Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Leonard Davis
Andre Gurode- Dallas Cowboys:secret:
Corey Redding-Lions:secret:

threetoedpete
01-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Leonard Davis

What's the cap hit there Hulk ? Just saying there big guy.

AtheGreat
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Nate Clements
Michael Lewis
Leonard Davis

give me Steinbach and Micheal Lewis and i'll call it a good FA for us.

no way in **** do i want that lumbering "anchor" of the worst Oline in the League on our already weak line. davis is a joke.

one of the 2 CBs would be nice, but i dont see us getting one of them. Thinking of Briggs and Demeco on the same team gets my mouth watering but i dont see that happening either. we have cap space, but not enough to bring in those guys.

humbleone
01-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Samuel is #1 on my wish list and may be more doable than some think because NE will probably not put out the money to keep him. It will be tough because the game has evolved to where there is almost no position on the field (either side of the ball) more important than a true cover corner so the price will be high. Whoever gets him, will be glad. And, there is no draft prospect remotely in his league IMO. If we get him, multiple positions on the D will improve...(1) he is an upgrade over Faggins (2) DRob will have to elevate his game or get thrown at constantly (3) Our DL rush will improve because he and Drob will be able to play up more vs. give a bunch of cushion causing more disruption of timing patterns which will buy our rush a bit more time to get to the QB.

Briggs would be great but probably falls into violating your "no dreaming" rule.

Hamlin, FS, Seattle is the one that may have the best doable/will make the team better ratio at this point.

Maddict5
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM

:crickets chirping::ok:

Mr teX
01-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I was listening to 610 this morning & they were saying that Chicago will probably franchise Briggs. Any news on this anyone?

TexanAddict
01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Hamlin, FS, Seattle is the one that may have the best doable/will make the team better ratio at this point.

Agree with this.

TexansSeminole
01-22-2007, 04:52 PM
If we cannot sign another corner, we can pick one in the draft in the later rounds who can compete for a starting spot, competition always brings out the best in everyone.

IMO no we can't. If we want to bring a corner here to compete for a job he can't come out of the later rounds. I'm sorry but no. If we want to draft a corner that will make a difference..we will have to draft him in the first day, if not the first half of the first day.

Hulk75
01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
What's the cap hit there Hulk ? Just saying there big guy.

We all have wishes. :)

There is always ways to make room............... (Trade Carr) Beat you to it.:bubble:

leachmtb
01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
We all have wishes. :)

There is always ways to make room............... (Trade Carr) Beat you to it.:bubble:

I say trade Carr to Chicago (there, Cleveland and Oakland are about the only two places that he is an upgrade at QB) and pick up Hunter Hillenmeyer.

(I figure if everyone else is going to be a UT homer, then I'll be one for Vanderbilt.)

hollywood_texan
01-22-2007, 07:34 PM
The free agency and draft has to be focused on providing Carr the tools to succeed.

I just don't see how you keep Carr for this many years, say you can't evaluate him because he doesn't have the guys around him, don't put the guys around, have the same result, and the same old excuse?

Personnel cuts and additions starts and ends with getting Carr the required talent, or just get rid of Carr...

At this point, I don't care if the Texans go 0 - 16 next year, I just don't want to hear the same excuse for the offense and the lack of offensive production and points.

ccdude730
01-22-2007, 08:10 PM
asante samuel and josh brown in FA

FS and OLB as top priorities in the draft

wolfscar
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Free Agency:
Samuel / Clements at CB
Kris Dielman at RG
some depth players at ILB, OT

Draft:
1) FS - Landry would be my preference
2) OLB - Alexander would be great (I know we need a SLB, but we could use Greenwood in there - he's not that big, but he's big enough and he covers pretty well)
3) C - someone versatile with lots of promise like Samson Satele to develop behind Steve McKinney
4) DT - someone like Ryan McBean, to compete with Seth Payne for the starter slot
5 onwards - whoever the best available is.

I don't think that's unrealistic, and it fills pretty much all the major holes that need to be filled. It leaves a big gap at LT, but I'd like to see Spencer put back in there (if he's 100% healthy). He's raw, but he's talented, and I'd rather see us develop someone than bring in another mediocre player to plug the gap short term. We can't afford a big time player in that position and still take care of all the other stuff we need to.

It also relies on the current D-Line to an extent, but if we've got all our guys healthy I think our D-Line is in good shape. I'm hoping we're going to get rid of Travis Johnson though (as well as Flanagan, DDW and a number of others).

That's what I'd like to see.

dat_boy_yec
01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Redding/ DT Lions
Hamlin/ FS Seahawks
Nate Clements/ Bills (I think Samuels put himself out of our price range with his playoff performance.) If not Clements, isn't Hood of the Eagles also a FA this off-season he might be a nice signing.

Then look for offensive help and a SLB in the draft.

TexanAddict
01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
to compete with Seth Payne for the starter slot[/B]

I really like Payne, but considering his age and injury history, I would stop considering him as a starter on the DL. Should he be able to come back from injury, I'm not sure the FO would keep him around unless his contract were reworked, remember Robaire last season. I also like McBean, but would like Kareem Brown more.

macaronitoni
01-23-2007, 12:15 AM
wow, considering how 80% of the posts all year was about carr sucks and get rid of carr, and virtually no complaints about the linebacker position, I'm suprised that the majority of yall think all we gotta do is get another linebacker and upgrade the secondary. I was kind of hoping someone would say realistically what we would do about the QB position.

TwinSisters
01-23-2007, 12:46 AM
wow, considering how 80% of the posts all year was about carr sucks and get rid of carr, and virtually no complaints about the linebacker position, I'm suprised that the majority of yall think all we gotta do is get another linebacker and upgrade the secondary. I was kind of hoping someone would say realistically what we would do about the QB position.

Alright, I will then.

realistically Carr must work and "take us where we want to go" or otherwise Kubiak has to own up to being a failure. I don't think you will see Carr moving without seeing Kubiak packing his own bags first.

Kubiak's rookie pass was spent this year and this coming season he has to produce or move it on over.

Realpolitik - There is nothing that can be done with the QB spot without the head coach shifting some serious footing about how and why he got the job in the first place.

dirty steve
01-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Alright, I will then.

realistically Carr must work and "take us where we want to go" or otherwise Kubiak has to own up to being a failure. I don't think you will see Carr moving without seeing Kubiak packing his own bags first.

Kubiak's rookie pass was spent this year and this coming season he has to produce or move it on over.

Realpolitik - There is nothing that can be done with the QB spot without the head coach shifting some serious footing about how and why he got the job in the first place.
I seriously doubt that is going to happen. I think McNair wanted to keep Carr going into 2006 anyway, so you cant really put that on Kubes. I believe this team can be a winner after Carr leaves, and that team will be a winner until the guidance of HC Kubiak and GM Rick Smith.

HJam72
01-23-2007, 02:48 AM
I don't think anybody's going to question Kubiak's QB coaching just because Carr hasn't made it. Besides that, the team improved with Kubiak by 4 wins, regardless of what happened with Carr.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-23-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm not so sure that converting a LB from strong to weak would be such an easy task. I agree that some LBs are talented enough and possess the appropriate skills to play either strong or weak, but to say you can draft a LB a put him in either position would be a bit of an over-statement. The SLB is over the TE and will be subject to more blockers on running plays and responsible (usually) for the TE on pass plays, while the WLB is allowed to be more free to roam with no extra blockers to his side. For a LB, like Alexander, who is known to have trouble shedding blockers and is a bit under-sized as well, putting him on the strong side would not be playing to his strengths.

Go look up what demeco played in college. It is much harder to convert an outside linebacker to inside than an outside linebacker who plays the left side, to the one who plays the right side.

Honoring Earl 34
01-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't think anybody's going to question Kubiak's QB coaching just because Carr hasn't made it. Besides that, the team improved with Kubiak by 4 wins, regardless of what happened with Carr.

I think you give Kubiak three years at the very least .

yourfavoritetexan42
01-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Plummer in his first year under kubiak played as bad as Carr did. It was the second year where he had his pro bowl year, and beat the patriots. You sure you want to say its a failure just yet.

BigBull17
01-23-2007, 08:56 AM
I was listening to 610 this morning & they were saying that Chicago will probably franchise Briggs. Any news on this anyone?

Urlacher(sp) said he would rework his deal to make room to pay Briggs. He realy wants him to stay around.

real
01-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Go look up what demeco played in college. It is much harder to convert an outside linebacker to inside than an outside linebacker who plays the left side, to the one who plays the right side.

Demeco played MLB most of his life....

run-david-run
01-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Demeco played MLB most of his life....

We drafted him to play OLB, then moved him inside when Rainer was hurt and we got rid of Cowart. If the players are smart enough and athletic enough, they will make plays no matter where you put them (within reason).

real
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
We drafted him to play OLB, then moved him inside when Rainer was hurt and we got rid of Cowart. If the players are smart enough and athletic enough, they will make plays no matter where you put them (within reason).

I don't understand the point you're trying to make...

TexanAddict
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM

Ryans played the strong side in college. The difficulty in moving from the outside LB spot to the inside is more of a mental challenge, since the ILB is in charge of calling the defense and making sure the linemen are in the correct positions. Going from Sam to Mike, you will not have the extra blocker to contend with (the TE) but you must be able to make your way through traffic. This is an easier transisition (especially for someone with Ryans intellect and instinct) than to go from Will, where you are more free to roam with no extra blockers committed to your side, to Sam, where you are always positioned with the TE to your side. It is not about playing left or right, it is about going from weak to strong and having to shed extra blockers to make a play.

TwinSisters
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM

I don't know...

I am thinking right now,"What if Dom Capers was the coach last year?"
( or technically this year )

All things being the exact same... only Capers was the coach.

We beat one team with a winning record. I mean Capers got the drop a Super Bowl team too. So would he be judged just the same?

I don't think I would be calling it progress as much as falling short of a first down by 4 yards instead of 8. It's still not moving either way.

Which gets a pass when you are a rookie, but not otherwise.

Xman
01-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Additions need ot be broken down to draft and FA (trades would be nice but are so doubtful there is no reason to assume it will happen):

Needs as I see them: Defense; S, CB, OLB, DL
Offense; QB, RB, OL

Draft:
#8: Peterson would be sweet, but will probably be gone. Second option would be to deal down for extra picks which could be spent on holes but it is doubtful that we could make a decent deal.
That leaves BPA, which, based on early projections, will probably be a DL. Also, it is too late for OT or QB and too early for OLB/S/CB. But, if a CB was availabe at this spot and worth the pick that owuld be my first choice, but for now it looks like DL if AP is gone.

2nd Round: BPA; this could be a nice safety (Meriweather or Griffin if either slips - but S could be addressed in FA); a decent OL would be nice if Staley/Harris are worth the pick but I bet they project in the 3rd; Poluzny would be great if he slid or we dealt up for him.
So, I think we go D - and with both stud safeties gone, take an OLB.

3rd Round: OL (possibly QB, if Kolb is still there)

4th Round: OL/DL - Could get decent value on either line here - otherwise picks from 4 down are flyers anyway.

FA: Based on prjected availablity in the draft and what is available, I would focus on:
1 starting CB (Clemens?): Faggins goes back to 3rd CB.
1 FS: (Lewis?) If one could be had at a decent price.
I would like OL, QB and RB also, but I doubt value is there.

So, I think we are looking at solidifying the D and drafting some player to develop on O.

Net:
First: Sign Clemens (or similar CB), sign Lewis (or similar S) - solidifies secondary
Second: Draft Peterson - But, if convinced he will be gone, then draft DL in 1st, OLB in 2nd and OL/QB in 3rd.

This leaves big holes at OL and QB - but can't fix it all in one year.

Of course, we could go offensive; AP (or M Lynch) in 1st, OT in 2nd, sign a QB. But, our defense would still suck and a free agent qb will not be good (plummer) or will retire soon (garcia). So, I would fix as many holes as possible, which means leaving holes at OL and QB - but rounding out the D.

Xman
01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
and, I would pass on the FA signings to fix cap issues:
meaning
- if Dom is done, cut him and take hit now
- same for Carr, deal him and take hit now
- same for anyone not projected to be here for more than 3 years that has a large signing bonus (cut them and accelerate the hit so we have our cap clear next year)

joshri
01-24-2007, 08:22 PM
It will be Nate Clements, Michael Lewis, Adrian Peterson