PDA

View Full Version : Field Help?

Yankee_In_TX
01-20-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm watching Discovery Channel, learning all about Arizona's new stadium. Their entire field roles in and out in one piece.

I love having grass, but the pallets don't seem to really be cutting it.

Any saving from going to turf?

(their field weighs 19 million pounds!)

hot pickle
01-20-2007, 02:18 PM
it would be nice to have field turf in houston, wouldn't get all wrecked when we get later in the season, with some of the college games bein played at reliant, pay up mr mcnair

Double Barrel
01-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I've wondered about field turf, too, and how long it would take them to realize that grass will never prosper in Reliant Stadium. Is is only a matter of time? idonno:

Vinny
01-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Grass may be more expensive long term due to upkeep and maintance, so I don't think money is the issue.

edo783
01-20-2007, 03:01 PM
As a multi-purpose/use stadium there are issues with switching to field turff. While grass will grow in trays and are then removable, it seems that field turff as a synthetic grass does not work in the trays. I'm not sure why, but it was discussed before. If it were a single use or where the grass didn't have to be removed then it would be great. Given the need to have a removable surface, I'm not sure how that can be solved if the synthetic stuff doesn't work in trays.

the wonger need food
01-20-2007, 03:07 PM
10 out of 10 players will choose grass over field turf every time. Not that their opinion matters.... I'm just sayin'.

TEXANS84
01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
The grass this year was ten times better than years before.

I think they've got the system down now, which if I can remember, they bought another field to keep it fresh in the offseason.

I'm one for keeping the grass. I just want the blue end-zones.

Double Barrel
01-20-2007, 03:21 PM
10 out of 10 players will choose grass over field turf every time. Not that their opinion matters.... I'm just sayin'.

Well, the players' opinions should be the ones that matter the most. Their careers often depend on it. Unfortunately, this isn't the reality.

aj.
01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
The footing was terrible for the Cleveland and Indy games. Embarrassing for a southern city with an indoor-capable stadium. Denver and Green Bay had better footing than at Reliant in Week 16 and 17.

Overseeding rye for aesthetics sacrifices functionality. I'd rather have brown and firm than green and slippery. Green and firm is a rare occurrence late in the season.

MorKnolle
01-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I think the players are more worried about the long-term wear and tear that field turf generally contributes to over natural grass. I had heard that in previous seasons at least that they gave the players the choice before the season as to what surface they wanted to play on and they always chose grass.

Carr Bombed
01-20-2007, 03:42 PM

Thats not true, more and more players now prefer the new field turf to natural grass, it ain't your daddy's turf......... its safer, a more consistent playing surface, and faster with no slips.

its the future.

check out this link and click on some of their vidoes, mainly the "natural vs turf" video and the "Warren Moon" video

http://www.fieldturf.com/

Carr Bombed
01-20-2007, 03:43 PM
I think the players are more worried about the long-term wear and tear that field turf generally contributes to over natural grass. I had heard that in previous seasons at least that they gave the players the choice before the season as to what surface they wanted to play on and they always chose grass.

Yall are thinking about Astro turf. Astro turf is not field turf. Field turf delivers less wear and tear than natural grass. It shouldn't even be called field turf, they should just call it Synthetic grass, then they would seperate themselves from the Astro turf.

MorKnolle
01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Yall are thinking about Astro turf. Astro turf is not field turf. Field turf delivers less wear and tear than natural grass. It shouldn't even be called field turf, they should just call it Synthetic grass, then they would seperate themselves from the Astro turf.

Field turf is generally harder on your joints than grass is, although you don't slip as much and such so it is a little safer in that sense.

the wonger need food
01-20-2007, 03:52 PM

No, we know exactly what field turf is. It's the synthetic turf with tire pieces in it.

Reliant is voted as one of the best fields to play on every year by NFL players, mostly because it is grass. 10 out of 10 players will choose grass over field turf every day of the week because it's easier on their bodies.

And of course field turf sales site and ex-players are going to endorse their product.

the wonger need food
01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Thats not true, more and more players now prefer the new field turf to natural grass, it ain't your daddy's turf......... its safer, a more consistent playing surface, and faster with no slips.

its the future.

check out this link and click on some of their vidoes, mainly the "natural vs turf" video and the "Warren Moon" video

http://www.fieldturf.com/

Please show me a poll or quotes of current players that prefer turf over grass? Not including kickers...

Carr Bombed
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Field turf is generally harder on your joints than grass is, although you don't slip as much and such so it is a little safer in that sense.

according to Warren Moon and other experts its softer and theres less knee injuries and other serious injuries on Field Turf. Field Turf has more bounce and helps absorb impact. The only thing the grass hass over it is it doesn't scrape, because grass tares away, Field Turf doesn't so there scrapes and abrations.

Knee injury vs. Scrapes.

If field Turf is so dangerous, then why the teams that play on it have almost no injuries..............like the Colts.

When other teams that play on natural grass suffer a ton of injuries, the Texans have lead the league and been near the top for a couple of seasons now...............on this playing surface.

Carr Bombed
01-20-2007, 04:00 PM
No, we know exactly what field turf is. It's the synthetic turf with tire pieces in it.

Reliant is voted as one of the best fields to play on every year by NFL players, mostly because it is grass. 10 out of 10 players will choose grass over field turf every day of the week because it's easier on their bodies.

And of course field turf sales site and ex-players are going to endorse their product.

Thats funny because I remember many players and some teams dogging our field, calling it the worst in the league in 2005

Carr Bombed
01-20-2007, 04:07 PM
look I wouldn't mind keeping the grass, but only if we are able to maintain a good playing surface, not the beat up field that we see at the end of the field

the wonger need food
01-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Thats funny because I remember many players and some teams dogging our field, calling it the worst in the league in 2005

Again, please site quotes and/or polls of current players (not getting paid to endorse their product) that prefer turf over grass. There are probably a couple, but the overall majority of players prefer grass.

tulexan
01-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't care what surface we have as long as we get Blue Endzones and Red ones for Battle Red Day.

the wonger need food
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't care what surface we have as long as we get Blue Endzones and Red ones for Battle Red Day.

That would be nice.

Double Barrel
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
There are probably a couple, but the overall majority of players prefer grass.

I know Mike Vick prefers grass! :shades:

Carr Bombed
01-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Again, please site quotes and/or polls of current players (not getting paid to endorse their product) that prefer turf over grass. There are probably a couple, but the overall majority of players prefer grass.

I said more players now perfer the Turf.

you said 10 out of 10 players choose grass.

The only thing I found was a poll from 2004.

8 out of 10 players liked the grass, so in a way we are both right, but yeah right now players perfer the natural grass.

BUT,

if we keep on being one of the most injured teams playing on a surface that is beat to crap, something is going to have to be done. Regardless in the players like grass or not.

The current playing surface isn't cutting it.

Yankee_In_TX
01-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Watching people randomly fall in the East/West game :(

the wonger need food
01-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Watching people randomly fall in the East/West game :(

But the blue end zones look great!

bpe3
01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
The footing was terrible for the Cleveland and Indy games.

Don't you know we watered down the field for both games to slow down the opposition? Worked like a charm. Keep up the good work, grounds crew. I say we keep the grass. You can't water down Field Turf.

Why else would the field be so wet? I was down on row 2 for the Texas Bowl (between Indy and Cleveland) and the field was crazy wet. I don't see how the field could have possibly been that wet by accident.

bpe3

Yankee_In_TX
01-22-2007, 05:51 PM
The TX Bowl was an embarassment. That field was horrible. I heard it was because Rutgers had a full out practice when they were supposed to only do a walk-through.

Regardless, the field was torn up, looked like crap on national TV and even worse in person. Players were falling for no reason left and right.

aj.
01-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't see how the field could have possibly been that wet by accident.

No/low sun - even when the trays were outside - and the overseeding of winter rye. The rye seems to have a far slicker texture than bermuda or whatever the other summer grass is that they use.

BobbleTexan
01-22-2007, 08:58 PM
You also have to take into account it rained most of the week. It looked to me at the Shrine game that many of the trays had been replaced with "good" trays of grass. I just don't think is possible to have it perfect with the weather conditions we have been having. A.J. is right about the ryegrass being slicker. For all you all that think we need field turf, I beg to differ. The last Texans game, Texas bowl and Shrine game were all after we had poor weather in Houston. The rest of the season, the field was in my opinion in good condition. Back to back events are tough, but I want grass.