PDA

View Full Version : Nate Clements

CowboysTexansFan
01-20-2007, 12:11 PM
The more I learn about Nate Clements, the more I want to Texans to sign him. Doing so, however, will be easier said than done. He is an elite cornerback, and if the Bills don't resign him, he will also have the good fortune of hitting the free agent market when he will clearly be the best free agent corner available. I've read previoulsy that he is #1 on the Redskins' wish list.

Here is some of the information a quick search allowed me to turn up:

The Bills slapped the franchise tag on the 27-year-old last spring, forcing him to stay in their uniform. They won't have the luxury of performing the same action again, though. (Buffalo general manager Marv Levy and Clements' agent mutually agreed to let the corner hit the open market if the two sides can't reach a deal on a long-term contract.)

At 6-foot, 209 pounds, Clements has the size teams covet in a No. 1 cornerback. The ex-Ohio State star is able to utilize his stature and physicality to outmuscle defenders for the ball, which has been a big reason for his 23 career interceptions (three this year) in just 94 regular-season games. Clements' excellent durability is a key factor, too. So far in his five-plus-year career, he hasn't missed a single game. No doubt, that's a testament to the kind of shape the defender keeps himself in.

[snip]

Oftentimes in the past, perennial Pro Bowl Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson has given Clements the high acclaim of the game's best cornerback.

{WOW!}

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/12/bills-elite-nateclements211206.html

The top cornerback and perhaps this year's crown jewel is the Bills' Nate Clements, who fits most teams' criteria in youth (just turned 27), character (active in charity activities), production (voted to the Pro Bowl in '05) and durability (started 91 straight games).

{If he's a high-character guy, that will definitely add to his appeal to the Texans.}

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/05/SPGT6NDE1R1.DTL

I don't know what was more surprising: Buffalo Bills wide receiver Lee Evans and cornerback Nate Clements receiving no votes for the Associated Press All-Pro Team, or Takeo Spikes receiving one vote at linebacker. ... Clements wants to be the highest-paid CB in the NFL. That might surprise the AP All-Pro voters but Clements picked an opportune time to be a free agent. He'll be the best CB available in an overall free-agent crop that many NFL talent scouts consider the weakest in many years.

{Don't know what it'll cost to sign him, but winning a bidding war with the Redskins won't be easy or cheap. I've heard he lives in Houston during the offseason, so perhaps the lack of a state income tax and convenience of playing where he lives would tip the balance in our favor if things were close.}

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070109/SPORTS0101/701090348/-1/COLUMNS

tulexan
01-20-2007, 12:17 PM
No chance we will be able to sign him. There are better teams with 3 or 4 times more cap space than we have.

The whole living in Houston in the offseason thing is irrelevant as well. Many athletes live in Houston in the offseason for tax reasons that doesn't mean that they have any interest in playing for the Texans. We will most likely have to settle for a second tier CB who is good but not great.

CowboysTexansFan
01-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I think we have a chance. Not necessarily the best chance, but a chance. With the salary cap going up, we should have enough room to sign him. I agree with you that the Texans are not the most desirable team to play for, but with a solid group of young defenders (Ryans, Williams, Weaver, Robinson) I think playing for the Texans would at least be something Clements would consider, especially if the team assured him we would upgrade at FS.

And remember, if he comes to Houston, at least half of his annual salary would not be subject to state income tax. That will also be worth something. Certainly not enough to be the deciding factor, but worth taking into account.

Please_Evolve
01-20-2007, 12:40 PM
No chance we will be able to sign him. There are better teams with 3 or 4 times more cap space than we have.

The whole living in Houston in the offseason thing is irrelevant as well. Many athletes live in Houston in the offseason for tax reasons that doesn't mean that they have any interest in playing for the Texans. We will most likely have to settle for a second tier CB who is good but not great.

Agreed. Same thing with Asante Samuels this year. I think if we do what Dallas did with signing Henri ....second Tier corner that is solid enough to force teams to throw to Dunta's side. That or like i really hope we go all secondary first two rounds of the draft. FS and CB. I like Laron more then Nelson or if we go CB with the firstthen i hope we go with Merriwether in the second. I think if we sign a FA or draft a Dlinemen in the 3rd or 4th that can get good push up the middle and the secondary can hold we could see more coverage sacks or more balls thrown away at least.

I rally think it's important after seeing whata guy like Ed reed, Mike Brown( who just ALWAYS seems to be in the mix of a big play in Chicago), Brian Dawkins. I've always been a big fan of having a strong secodary because it really helps you dictate blitz packages. I think in today's NFL it's just real tough to hope to get pressure with just your front 4. Yes that's always ideal and it by any chance you manage that you've got an elite defense more then likely. But a strong secondary allows linemen more time to get there and lets linebacker blitzes develop better. I'm a huge fan of Jim Johnson really. If we were ever able to pry him away from Philly.... He brings the blitz from different angles well and has a great secondary that allows him to stunt linemen and bring the backers. It's really a fun defense to watch play and execute.

TexansSeminole
01-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Agreed. Same thing with Asante Samuels this year. I think if we do what Dallas did with signing Henri ....second Tier corner that is solid enough to force teams to throw to Dunta's side. That or like i really hope we go all secondary first two rounds of the draft. FS and CB. I like Laron more then Nelson or if we go CB with the firstthen i hope we go with Merriwether in the second. I think if we sign a FA or draft a Dlinemen in the 3rd or 4th that can get good push up the middle and the secondary can hold we could see more coverage sacks or more balls thrown away at least.

I rally think it's important after seeing whata guy like Ed reed, Mike Brown( who just ALWAYS seems to be in the mix of a big play in Chicago), Brian Dawkins. I've always been a big fan of having a strong secodary because it really helps you dictate blitz packages. I think in today's NFL it's just real tough to hope to get pressure with just your front 4. Yes that's always ideal and it by any chance you manage that you've got an elite defense more then likely. But a strong secondary allows linemen more time to get there and lets linebacker blitzes develop better. I'm a huge fan of Jim Johnson really. If we were ever able to pry him away from Philly.... He brings the blitz from different angles well and has a great secondary that allows him to stunt linemen and bring the backers. It's really a fun defense to watch play and execute.

Great post I agree 100%.

Texan in Japan
01-20-2007, 02:56 PM
What would Clements cost?

TNTitan
01-20-2007, 03:30 PM
whats the Texans cap situation like next year?

edo783
01-20-2007, 03:35 PM
What would Clements cost?

I'm not sure the what the amount is, but he wants to be the highest paid CB, so who ever is currently....that plus 10% is probably a ballpark figure.

MorKnolle
01-20-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure the what the amount is, but he wants to be the highest paid CB, so who ever is currently....that plus 10% is probably a ballpark figure.

If I'm not mistaken Champ Bailey has a $60-some million deal.

12Gage
01-21-2007, 12:27 AM

Is Asante Samuel a UFA? I would love to get him for a good price. We can forget Nate Clements if he really wants to be the highest paid CB in the league.

Texan_Aggie222
01-21-2007, 01:08 PM
There is no way we can land Nate Clements. We would be wasting our time. Asante Samual would be the better player to go after with a hard push.

As far as Cap Room, if we make a few adjustment to a couple of contracts, we have enough room to add 2 players who are above average.

Dunta_23
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM
IF Asante Samuel leaves New England, expect the Jets to make a big push for him....they have the cap room...and Mangini is Samuel's former coach and D-Coordinator...Id love to see him playing with Dunta in the secondary tho....

Texan_Aggie222
01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, Samuel's asking price just went up with the INT returned for TD he made tonight against Peyton Manning.

joshri
01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat but I looked and didn't see it yet.

I heard yesterday that Nate Clements was building a house in the Woodlands on either 610 or 790. The host said it and not a caller.

One would think that this would give the Texans quite a good shot at signing him if thats the case.

Anyway, just wanted to see what anyone thought.

the wonger need food
01-24-2007, 05:50 PM
It's been brought up a few times here. "Get Paid" (Asante Samuel) is probably the best FA CB on the market, but Clements is a very good option.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Much ado about nothing. I think he works out here in Houston during the offseason.

DRIFTAWAY
01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
alot of athletes live here because the cost of living is low, the city is nice, and theres no state income tax.

joshri
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Just a thought. Sorry for the repeat.

At the same time, my prediction for the offseason.

Sign Michael Lewis
Sign Nate Clements
Draft Adrian Peterson

TheOgre
01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Asante has had a better season, but I like Clements "body of work" better.

hot pickle
01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
him having a house in the houston area might be a good thing for the texans but i doubt it, but i think he will go to whoever gives him the most cash

Texan_Aggie222
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Your exactly right. Its going to be who has the money to pay for his new house, not where the house is.

Hulk75
01-24-2007, 08:15 PM

TRUST me he wants to play in Houston, his family lives here and he does to in the off season, AND thats not the only reason, but the money has to be right also.

Mr. White
01-26-2007, 08:55 AM
He's on 610 right now. He said that he'd like to play here. He also said he wants to play for a team that's going in the right direction.

Marv Levy said that he's not letting him go anywhere.

Good interview. Sounds like he's having a lot of fun with John and Lance.