PDA

View Full Version : Michael Lewis

Mr. White
01-19-2007, 08:16 AM
From Lance Zierlein's blog (http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2007/01/post.html)

Q&A with Michael Lewis' agent....

Q: Michael played ball at Lamar Consolidated (Richmond) so he has friends and family in the area. Is playing in Houston important to Michael?

Rodney: Playing in Houston would be an ideal situation for Michael because it would give him the opportunity to play close to home in front of friends and family. He wants to be somewhere that he can live the entire year because his girls will be starting school soon. And you can't forget the luxury of playing in Texas with no state income tax.

hot pickle
01-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Sounds almost like a lock

mexican_texan
01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
You gotta wonder why he wasn't getting along with the Eagles coaches.

Hulk75
01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Q: What are Michael's best attributes on and off the field?

Rodney: Michael's best attributes on the field are his competitiveness, toughness, and his sure tackling ability. Off the field, Michael's character is what separates him from anyone else. He doesn't drink, smoke, or curse and he is a devout christian. He is a better person than he is a player!

Awsome, its a lock. Just like old Bobby likes them.

TexanRoadrunner
01-19-2007, 09:32 AM
He has a nephew at Lamar Consolidated that is killing high school football right now too. From what I hear Lewis is like a parent to him and his brother. That could get him to come here as well. He's a former pro bowler and is worth a shot.

gtexan02
01-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Of course houston based news people will say he should want to play here. We always think people will want to be here. He may want to be on a winning team, though, and choose somewhere like Dallas (who needs another safety also)

nunusguy
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I dunno, but isn't he a SS ? We're OK there, FS is the problem.

Hulk75
01-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Were what?

hot pickle
01-19-2007, 12:05 PM

haha,no the whole secondary is the problem, we are gonna replace everyone except d-rob

aj.
01-19-2007, 12:20 PM
One of the reasons the Eagles aren't going to re-sign him is because Sean Considine was outplaying him. Considine replaced Lewis as the starter around mid-season.

Lewis is no stranger to the injury report either; sprained MCL, concussions, back problems, broken nose.... somehow he managed to miss only two games in '06.

He's the type of guy you can't afford to overpay. He's looking for his golden parachute and his agent is selling him as another Ed Reed or Roy Williams. Of course he would like to play here.

For the right price, sure.

Caveat emptor.

AtheGreat
01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
at least we know what michal can do. our two other safeties haven't shown too much yet. bring him over here!

TheOgre
01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Lewis is an upgrade over our two SS's, but I think his pricetag will be too high. Not to mention, we have two more serious issues in the secondary (CB2 and FS) that need to be addressed first.

Kaiser Toro
01-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Lewis is a nice addition, but at the right price. As AJ said he is no Ed Reed or Roy Williams.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-19-2007, 01:19 PM
This is something that is likely and would be awesome to have. I am not crazy over Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson in the draft, and this guy is a proven pro bowler. I think having him and Earl at safeties will be a good duo. It will let us shift our draft needs, which is good.

Totally 100% behind bringing him down here.

mexican_texan
01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Two years Seven Mil?

dirty steve
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Lewis is a nice addition, but at the right price. As AJ said he is no Ed Reed or Roy Williams.

I have never been high on getting a safety in the first round unless we trade down. Lewis, while not a world beater, would certainly improve the talent pool and maybe allow to us focus on another CB anywhere from rounds 2-4. Low risk, high reward type thing.

Hulk75
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Yea but CC and Glenn Earl are no Michael Lewis.

MorKnolle
01-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Of course houston based news people will say he should want to play here. We always think people will want to be here. He may want to be on a winning team, though, and choose somewhere like Dallas (who needs another safety also)

Not to mention if you talk to his agent he'll find 20 good reasons as to why his client would love to play in XX city when doing an interview with media people from XX city. I'm not saying he wouldn't want to play here because those are some good reasons for him to want to be here and we could use all the help we can get in the secondary, but don't get too excited about hearing such things on local media sources, especially from his agent. Remember, agents are paid to do or say anything to conjure up interest in their clients and get them the best offers possible.

Two years Seven Mil?

No way, there are maybe 10 safeties in the league that get paid $3.5 million a year, and Lewis should not be one of them, unless of course he's playing for the Titans or Cowboys.

I think he would be a decent upgrade at SS over Earl and Brown, but not too much of one and I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on him.

jgl35
01-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Per the cap section on the Eagles board Lewis had a cap figure of 1,045,000. 795,000 base sal. 250,000 signing bonus. This is what remains from his rookie contract.

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Yea but CC and Glenn Earl are no Michael Lewis.

We overpay enough for below average players at other positions, no need to overpay for an injured player who would like to come home.

aj.
01-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Per the cap section on the Eagles board Lewis had a cap figure of 1,045,000. 795,000 base sal. 250,000 signing bonus. This is what remains from his rookie contract.

His contract expires in six weeks. Then his status changes to UFA.

U4ikrob
01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
A good SS and a veteran who might help one of our safety spots allthough like many others here I think FS is a bigger need. IMO would wait till he becomes an UFA and offer him a contract of 5% more than his expired deal w/escalators and incentives based on playtime and playoffs..

IMO Really would like to see the Texans address FS and 2nd CB first with FA money though letting us go into the draft untethered to one position so to speak. IMO would really like to see us trade back, pick up a few extra picks for more playmakers and depth thru the draf. Having a few spots solidified thru FA will help that alot in the long run - cant wait to see who Kubes & co. bring in as the first FA this year.

TexanAddict
01-23-2007, 02:24 PM
While Lewis is probably an upgrade at SS, I think bringing in a player like Ken Hamlin to play our FS spot and allow Brown and Earl to compete for the SS spot upgrades our secondary as a whole, that is if we can lure Hamlin away from Seattle.

Ole Miss Texan
01-23-2007, 02:37 PM
It really sounds like a possibility of him coming here, moreso than most other free agents. plus are both cc and earl free agents after this year? I heard that but don't know if it's true.

If anybody thinks that strong safety is a bigger need than free safety for us ...well i won't continue that sentence. I think cc and earl can battle it out for ss and we'll be fine. I like Earl having that spot. unlike some...i don't really know why. for those that argue why they don't like him throw dunta in the mix...he underperformed imo. If we get a legit FS and EArl or even CC at SS will look and play a lot better...same with CB2. whoever that may be.

We need a FS whether that be someone from the draft that can start right away or a FA.