PDA

View Full Version : Sherman named Texans Offensive Coordinator

prostock101
01-17-2007, 11:57 AM
From NFL Network......I think it's a good thing to have him back.

powerfuldragon
01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
as expected.

mexican_texan
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Anyone else expecting Ahman Green?

powerfuldragon
01-17-2007, 12:02 PM
i'm surprised this news isn't at www.houstontexans.com yet.

Caddo1361
01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I think this is good for us. I have liked having Sherman on our staff with the experience he brings. The only problem is this just this delays him leaving next year.

Double Barrel
01-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if I greet this new information as good news or bad news, to be honest. But it is what it is, so go Coach Sherman!

TheRealJoker
01-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Good news, we wont have any major changes in our system next year. Continuity is usually a good thing with all these young guys on our offense and now they will have 2 years being coached by Kubiak/Sherman.

Bad news, Sherman will most likely leave next year and that'll start another learning curve I suppose.

WiiBrawler
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
This is a good move considering he is a seasoned coach, hopefully he will put in more shot gun plays for Carr

coachdent
01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
More good news is that we have a second pipeline in the free agency sweepstakes. Denver and Green Bay players are now in play.

Mr. White
01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I think that he was the real Offensive Coordinator last season anyway. At least if its an official title now, it'll clear up confusion.

TheRealJoker
01-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Well with Calhoun gone, instead of having 3 offensive minds we now have 2. So it'll definately help change from the identity crisis we had on offense last season.

Im hoping in this case we will have addition by subtraction.

old football fan
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
With Kubiak/Sherman calling the plays it will give us a Green Bay/Denver offense which will attack opposing defenses a little better. Now all we need are the players to do it with.

Silver Oak
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Good news!

:redtowel:

Vinny
01-17-2007, 01:32 PM
last year we may have had too many cooks in the soup. He was the asst head coach anyway wasn't he? I expected him to be the OC if he didn't get another HC gig.

TexanSam
01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I think Kubiak probably knows Sherman will only be here for one year until he gets a HC job, so I'm guessing he's probably already going to start grooming someone from his own staff to take over the job if/when Sherman leaves.

Wharton
01-17-2007, 02:17 PM
IMO, having a stable OC on most NFL teams is a luxury. Personally, I think its rear for an OC to last more then a few years, particularly if they are any good.

I agree with most folks on this board, Sherman will get a HC next year and be gone. If Kubes is smart, he'll have Sherman train Brian Pariani, Kyle Shanahan or John Benton to replace him next year. The wild card is Chick Harris. Chick is one of the few surviving coaches from Capers' staff. Chick probably has the most experience as a coach, but wasn't brought in by Kubes. As far as Texans coaches go, the running backs may be the best coached squad on the team. Should be interesting to see what happens next year.

tulexan
01-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I still don't like that Kubiak and Sherman have conflicting offensive philosophies (i.e. blocking schemes). I would rather have a coordinator who has a lot of experience with zone blocking and the west coast offense than Sherman, who is a good coach, but runs a different kind of offense.

Texans Horror
01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
It's not on the Chronicle, either.

If it does happen, it should be a good move, and to me it shows the direction this offseason will take. More attention to offensive acquisitions. Also, Sherman will want to show how good a coach he is because I figure his goal is to get back into the head coach's shoes. This will be good for the offense.

Unfortunately, my guess is that this means Flanagan stays. He didn't live up to his hype, and I'm hoping a new center will come out of the draft.

I think the first year, the coach brings more of "his guys." I don't expect to see as large a migration as we saw last year when it comes to players from Green Bay/Denver joining the team.

El Tejano
01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I see this as one more thing checked off on our to do list. This means we can concentrate on our own players and FA and then draft.

Texian
01-17-2007, 04:46 PM
So will this make it easier for the Texans to trade down with Green Bay. After Ahman Green leaves in FA the Pack will be in dire straights for a RB. Moving back with GB would give us their #16 and their 2nd Rd (#47). That would give the Texans 3 of the top 50 picks (#s 16, 39, 47) Texans might have to give up their 6th RD pic to make this happen.

1. Charles Johnson, DE
2. Merriweather, S
2. Earl Everett, OLB
3. Ryan Harris, OT
4. Darius Walker, RB

TexansMVP
01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3287&section=N%20Latest%20News

It's actually up now. There's also mention that Kyle Shanahan has been promoted to the QB coach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Houston Texans have named assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman as the team's offensive coordinator and have named Kyle Shanahan as the quarterbacks coach.

Sherman becomes the Texans’ fourth offensive coordinator. He is entering his 11 th NFL season, and his second with the Texans. Sherman is the only coach that has had the title of assistant head coach for the Texans and he will retain that in addition to his new title. Sherman replaces Troy Calhoun, who left to become the head coach at the Air Force Academy.

Entering his second season as an NFL position coach, Kyle Shanahan has been named the Texans’ quarterbacks coach. When Shanahan started the 2006 season, he was the youngest position coach in the NFL. Shanahan enters his fourth season in the NFL. Before joining the Texans as wide receivers coach, he spent two seasons as the offensive quality control coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, working closely with the quarterbacks and receivers.

Meloy
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
ALL RIGHT I have another new coordinator and QB coach to tell me what I am doing wrong. Hey Dom where did you put those ladders? signed David Carr

NATHANHALE
01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
OK. We tried a QB guru with Carr last year, so now we're going to try someone that never played the position...well, alrighty then.

TheRealJoker
01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I wonder who will coach receivers.

TexanSam
01-17-2007, 05:34 PM
OK. We tried a QB guru with Carr last year, so now we're going to try someone that never played the position...well, alrighty then.

In reality, Kubiak is the QB coach. Just like he was the OC last year. Calhoun had the title but Kubiak really called the plays. I'm thinking that Sherman will have more control over the playcalling now since he's a more experienced coach than Calhoun was.

Double Barrel
01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Kyle Shanahan has been named the Texans’ quarterbacks coach.

Wha....? :um:

Just when you think they're headed in the right direction, they do something like this. Sorry, but I would think they'd look for an experienced coach for this particular position. Other than having a father as a HC, what has Kyle really done? I'm not doggin' on the guy, just sayin'...

edo783
01-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Just when you think they're headed in the right direction, they do something like this. Sorry, but I would think they'd look for an experienced coach for this particular position. Other than having a father as a HC, what has Kyle really done? I'm not doggin' on the guy, just sayin'...

The take on Shannahan around the league seems to be that he is a "Hot Runner" and real up and coming guy. I expect that with his dad being Mike Shanahan helps, given Kubes previouse job. The WRs kind of balked at him last year at first from what I understand, but then came around and seemed to think he was pretty good. Guess we will see.

Tulip
01-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Well, check OC off the list.

Now the Texans can move on to the QB situation.

the wonger need food
01-17-2007, 07:35 PM
The take on Shannahan around the league seems to be that he is a "Hot Runner" and real up and coming guy. I expect that with his dad being Mike Shanahan helps, given Kubes previouse job. The WRs kind of balked at him last year at first from what I understand, but then came around and seemed to think he was pretty good. Guess we will see.

I noticed that Carr spent a lot of time with Shanahan on the sideline last season. I'm assuming that this is a promotion for him an he will work closely with Kubiak. He was the youngest position coach in the league last year and is on the fast track to being the youngest OC in a few years.

Texans_Chick
01-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Actually I am fonder of Shanahan at QB Coach than Sherman as OC. I splain why in the FanHouse:

Link (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/17/sherman-to-stay-with-the-texans-shanahan-moves-to-quarterbacks/)

It is easier than saying it twice.

It would non-surprise me if Shanahan is being groomed for the OC job after Sherman eventially leaves.

tulexan
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
So will this make it easier for the Texans to trade down with Green Bay. After Ahman Green leaves in FA the Pack will be in dire straights for a RB. Moving back with GB would give us their #16 and their 2nd Rd (#47). That would give the Texans 3 of the top 50 picks (#s 16, 39, 47) Texans might have to give up their 6th RD pic to make this happen.

1. Charles Johnson, DE
2. Merriweather, S
2. Earl Everett, OLB
3. Ryan Harris, OT
4. Darius Walker, RB

Why would we even want Ahman Green? He is a 30 year old running back who hasn't had a good season in 4 years and hasn't played a full season in 4 years. I would rather pay more for a young stud who we will be able to rely on for the next 5-8 years than an aging running back who maybe has 1 or 2 seasons left.

Bubbajwp
01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
So who is going to be the oline coach now.

cuppacoffee
01-17-2007, 08:32 PM

1. Charles Johnson, DE
2. Merriweather, S
2. Earl Everett, OLB
3. Ryan Harris, OT...:D
4. Darius Walker, RB...:D

I like your way of thinking... :D

:coffee:

tsip
01-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Maybe it's just me but I'm a 'little' concern that last year we saw nothing on the field to resemble any form of an offense that we can win with--no schemes/no vertical passing attack/no foundation to build upon,etc. Offensively, IMO, we wasted Kubiak's first year- am I wrong? Do we have a means to score and move the ball already in place, just waiting for the right 'moment' for its debut?

We now have a 'temporary' OC in place and a 'new kid on the block' being groomed to take his place-right? OK. When do we get the offense? If we fail miserably this year with 'less' offense than '06 and score fewer points and win fewer games, Sherman and Shanahan's future with the Texans-let alone the NFL-may be a moot point...

The key then becomes debuting an offense in game one that will take us 'where' we want to go as a team and will actually build on 'whatever' from last year...I'm assuming Kubiak has a plan, sooner than later.:yahoo: :confused: :yikes: :hmmm:

Vinny
01-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Maybe it's just me but I'm a 'little' concern that last year we saw nothing on the field to resemble any form of an offense that we can win with--no schemes/no vertical passing attack/no foundation to build upon,etc. Offensively, IMO, we wasted Kubiak's first year- am I wrong? Do we have a means to score and move the ball already in place, just waiting for the right 'moment' for its debut?

We now have a 'temporary' OC in place and a 'new kid on the block' being groomed to take his place-right? OK. When do we get the offense? If we fail miserably this year with 'less' offense than '06 and score fewer points and win fewer games, Sherman and Shanahan's future with the Texans-let alone the NFL-may be a moot point...

The key then becomes debuting an offense in game one that will take us 'where' we want to go as a team and will actually build on 'whatever' from last year...I'm assuming Kubiak has a plan, sooner than later.:yahoo: :confused: :yikes: :hmmm:
I think if we get some good quarterback play this offense is going to be good next season. I think we would be a .500 this year if we had the ability to hit intermediate passes and throw the ball against the cover2.

Texans_Chick
01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
The official website has an updated story:

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3287)

Sherman, Shanahan change titles
January 17, 2007
By Nick Schenck
HoustonTexans.com

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans today named assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman as the team's offensive coordinator and have named Kyle Shanahan as the quarterbacks coach.

Sherman becomes the Texans’ fourth offensive coordinator. He is entering his 11th NFL season, and his second with the Texans. Sherman is the only coach that has had the title of assistant head coach for the Texans and he will retain that in addition to his new title. Sherman replaces Troy Calhoun, who left to become the head coach at the Air Force Academy.

“I appreciate (head coach) Gary (Kubiak) giving me the responsibility,” Sherman said. “I look forward to the challenge and what we can accomplish in 2007.”

After working mostly with the Texans’ offensive line in 2006, Sherman now will share the play-calling responsibilities with Kubiak. The Seattle Seahawks’ offensive coordinator in 1999, Sherman anticipates sharing ideas with Kubiak about the direction of the offense in the coming months.

“Gary and I are going to sit down and talk about those things at some point here once we settle down with some of the personnel issues,” Sherman said. “Right now, we’re working on free agency. There will come a time when Gary and I will sit down and we’ll formulate that plan.”

Entering his second season as an NFL position coach, and fourth in the NFL, Shanahan will be in his first year coaching quarterbacks. When Shanahan started the 2006 season, he was the youngest position coach in the NFL. Before joining the Texans as wide receivers coach, he spent two seasons as the offensive quality control coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, working closely with the quarterbacks and receivers.

Shanahan couldn’t be more pleased about the move.

“Coaching receivers is something I always knew I would start with going into my coaching career being a receiver and spending most of my life working at receiver,” Shanahan said. “But quarterback was always something I knew I wanted to go to. I’m pumped that coach Kubiak promoted me to that spot.”

Asked if he’ll be more involved in formulating the game plan in his current role, Shanahan didn’t rule it out.

“There are really no rules,” he said. “But I feel that the reason people go after a quarterback job is because they feel maybe there is a little more responsibility because of the fact that the quarterback does control the game. He starts with the ball. He leads the offense. The team plays well based on what the quarterback does, whereas receivers are a lot more dependent on other positions. With that being said, (the job) does come with a lot more responsibility.”

At 27 years old, Shanahan is much younger than the average quarterbacks coach in the NFL, but it would be tough to find someone with a better pedigree, or a more accomplished resume, than him.

The son of Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan, Kyle has been around the game his entire life. Since entering the league, he also has had the chance to learn from some of the game’s brightest minds, including Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden and quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett, as well as former Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator John Shoop. Kubiak and Calhoun also have had an influence on his career.

“I’d like to think that I am prepared for it,” Kyle said. “I really have five guys’ different opinions on how to play quarterback, and they’re all really good coaches and really respected. With that being said, I’ve gotten the opportunity to be around these guys, so I have tons of ideas running in my head.”

Kyle spoke to all of his former receivers today to notify them of his coaching move. Then he reached out to the current quarterbacks on the Texans’ roster. While he wasn’t able to reach David Carr, Kyle can’t wait to go to work with the former No. 1 overall draft pick.

“I think that’s exciting when you have the opportunity to coach a guy who has a big impact on the organization,” Kyle said. “David’s a talented guy who works hard. He’s a good guy and I’m looking forward to working with him. I’m just pumped for the opportunity.”

Vinny
01-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Shanahan pretty much states exactly the opposite of what many of our fans have been trying to cram down our throats for 5 years as many posters have tried to say that Carr's play is no more important than anyone elses. No real news to me though.“There are really no rules,” he said. “But I feel that the reason people go after a quarterback job is because they feel maybe there is a little more responsibility because of the fact that the quarterback does control the game. He starts with the ball. He leads the offense. The team plays well based on what the quarterback does, whereas receivers are a lot more dependent on other positions. With that being said, (the job) does come with a lot more responsibility.”

NFLforher
01-17-2007, 09:29 PM

Isn't that strange? Shanahan????? He's younger than David and played WR in college.

NFLforher
01-17-2007, 09:32 PM

He played WR in college.

Ibar_Harry
01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Shanahan pretty much states exactly the opposite of what many of our fans have been trying to cram down our throats for 5 years as many posters have tried to say that Carr's play is no more important than anyone elses. No real news to me though.

Yes, Vinny, but how about this part of the quote.

"Kyle spoke to all of his former receivers today to notify them of his coaching move. Then he reached out to the current quarterbacks on the Texans’ roster. While he wasn’t able to reach David Carr, Kyle can’t wait to go to work with the former No. 1 overall draft pick.

“I think that’s exciting when you have the opportunity to coach a guy who has a big impact on the organization,” Kyle said. “David’s a talented guy who works hard. He’s a good guy and I’m looking forward to working with him. I’m just pumped for the opportunity.”

This really surprises me based on eveything that is being said. Given the situation it is really astonishing.

Bubbajwp
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM

"Kyle spoke to all of his former receivers today to notify them of his coaching move. Then he reached out to the current quarterbacks on the Texans’ roster. While he wasn’t able to reach David Carr, Kyle can’t wait to go to work with the former No. 1 overall draft pick.

This really surprises me based on eveything that is being said. Given the situation it is really astonishing.
I doubt that Kyle is aloud behind all the closed doors right now. I dont think he knows who he is going to be coaching next year.

tulexan
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM

I'm sure he'll enjoy working with him for the next few weeks before he is traded/cut.

Tulip
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't think coaching Jake Plummer will be too difficult for Shanahan - Plummer's been around a while. :)

Texan_Aggie222
01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree with a lot of people in this post that Sherman was a no-brainer if he didn't get a head coaching job, the bigger news is Kyle Shannanon moving up to coach the QBs. I think he have two future head coaches in this league coaching the offense right now. I'm interested in seeing how Shannanon develops as a coach and if Kubiak will favor him and make him his appreintance.

Kaiser Toro
01-17-2007, 10:14 PM
When Carr's agent and personnel directors saw the Shanahan transaction you know their wheels went into motion.

West Texas Texan
01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Question regarding Sherman...What has his won/loss record been as head coach? Also what was his W/L record as an OC?

Shanahan appears to very energetic, but how has he worked/improved the WR he has worked with? If he has improved WR performance, does he have the ability to improve the QB performance?

Kaiser Toro
01-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Question regarding Sherman...What has his won/loss record been as head coach? Also what was his W/L record as an OC?

Shanahan appears to very energetic, but how has he worked/improved the WR he has worked with? If he has improved WR performance, does he have the ability to improve the QB performance?

Great questions. Where do you think this leaves the Offensive Line and its direction?

Tulip
01-17-2007, 10:32 PM
I think Sherman only had one losing season (out of 6 total) as a head coach. Not certain, though.

Ibar_Harry
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
When Carr's agent and personnel directors saw the Shanahan transaction you know their wheels went into motion.

That is a possibility. I just find that part of the statement as very strange given the thinking that has appeared on this web site. I would even wonder if Farve was going to somehow come into play in this mix? Does it mean they are going to keep David another year? Is it a test? Who knows, but I just find the statement to be odd given all of the press both Nationally and in Houston.

mexican_texan
01-17-2007, 10:54 PM
His winning ratio is 7-8

2006: Assistant Head Coach/Offense, Houston Texans

2005: Executive Vice President/Head Coach, Green Bay Packers

2001-04: Executive Vice President/General Manager/Head Coach, Green Bay Packers

2000: Head Coach, Green Bay Packers

1999: Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends, Seattle Seahawks

1997-98: Tight Ends/Assistant Offensive Line, Green Bay Packers

1995-96: Offensive Line, Texas A&M

1994: Offensive Line, UCLA

1989-93: Offensive Line, Texas A&M

1988: Offensive Coordinator, Holy Cross

1985-87: Offensive Line, Holy Cross

1983-84: Offensive Line, Tulane

1981-82: Part-Time Coach, University of Pittsburgh

Kaiser Toro
01-17-2007, 10:54 PM
That is a possibility. I just find that part of the statement as very strange given the thinking that has appeared on this web site. I would even wonder if Farve was going to somehow come into play in this mix? Does it mean they are going to keep David another year? Is it a test? Who knows, but I just find the statement to be odd given all of the press both Nationally and in Houston.

As a former agent in another sport it should warrant a phone call by his agent to the front office. Moreover, if the agent is in the shadows gauging market/trade value by mentioning that Carr is not in a good place and consequently concerned about the direction of the team, then once this comes out the agent will either have the ear of that team or will have a voicemail waiting from a GM or personnel director.

Innuendo? Absolutely, but please do not deny the plausibility of words, sentences and paragraphs being exchanged around this head scratcher of a move based on the current starting personnel.

Ibar_Harry
01-17-2007, 11:03 PM
As a former agent in another sport it should warrant a phone call by his agent to the front office. Moreover, if the agent is in the shadows gauging market/trade value by mentioning that Carr is not in a good place and consequently concerned about the direction of the team, then once this comes out the agent will either have the ear of that team or will have a voicemail waiting from a GM or personnel director.

Innuendo? Absolutely, but please do not deny the plausibility of words, sentences and paragraphs being exchanged around this head scratcher of a move based on the current starting personnel.

Interesting also to note that he has been unable to reach Carr, yet. Carr is known as a work out freek and frequently seen in the weight room most of the year. It will be interesting to see how this is expanded on during the next few weeks.

ArlingtonTexan
01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
I think Sherman only had one losing season (out of 6 total) as a head coach. Not certain, though.

That is correct and it got him fired. Talking with the Packer fans, they were alot more unhappy with him as a GM than a coach although not exactly revered.

cj5776
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Does anyone find it funny that this comes right after Schotenheimer was retained as coach of the Chargers. I think that was the final job Sherman might have had a change at getting... I for one, do not see Shanahan being given this position if Carr was leaving.. Also I do not understand why no unsterstands how much better Carr will look once he finally gets a running game going... 07 Houston Texans rbs: A Green, Pittman, Willams, Dayne

1) DE G Adams
2) RB A Pittman
3) CB D Jackson
4) WR R Moore

painekiller
01-18-2007, 05:35 AM
I think Kubiak probably knows Sherman will only be here for one year until he gets a HC job, so I'm guessing he's probably already going to start grooming someone from his own staff to take over the job if/when Sherman leaves.

And that man will be Kyle Shanahan. He is young but solid. And he can train under Kubiak and Sherman for as long as they are here. If Sherman does not get a new gig any time soon, so much the better for Kyle.

Kubiak worked for Kyle's dad for 11 years, counting San Fran. I could see that kind of time frame for Kyle. Only thing they have to win in the 2008 season enough to get to the playoffs or at least close.

I hope the Aggies come to their senses and get ride of Coach Fran after next season and Sherman gets the gig.

painekiller
01-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Interesting also to note that he has been unable to reach Carr, yet. Carr is known as a work out freek and frequently seen in the weight room most of the year. It will be interesting to see how this is expanded on during the next few weeks.

It is January and we are having ice storms, so I am guessing Carr is on vacation for a few more weeks. After the season he went thru, all the hits he took, he deserve some time to heal before hitting the weight room again. The player don't have any formal things until late March or early April.

tulexan
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
That is correct and it got him fired. Talking with the Packer fans, they were alot more unhappy with him as a GM than a coach although not exactly revered.

Well considering he traded Vernand Morency for Samkon Gado I have to agree with them

nunusguy
01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure if I greet this new information as good news or bad news, to be honest. But it is what it is, so go Coach Sherman!

I'm with DB on this one. One too many chiefs me thinks.
Wonder if Sherman gets a raise with his new title ?

phan1
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Not too thrilled about this. I was actually hoping he would leave for another HC job. I wasn't impressed with what he did to our Oline (running game was awful last year), and I'm not sure if he knows what Kubiak wants. I'm just not too sure about Sherman fitting in with our organization here.

thunderkyss
01-18-2007, 03:58 PM

& as has been seen.... the press don't know jack, and all the folks predicting this or that on this board don't know what the Texans F.O. is doing.

When joe blow starts a thousand threads about trading David Carr, or how they lost faith in David after '06, take that stuff with a grain of salt. It don't mean nothing, so don't let it get your panties in a bunch.

Fact: Kubiak said he is going to do everything he can to make sure David experiences some success in the NFL.

IMHO, that hasn't happened yet. I think it was obvious that Flanagan didn't work at Center, and we all know that Spencer, our biggest hope, only played one game.

Before anyone thinks I'm contradicting myself, let me explain. David should've played better than he did behind the line that Kubiak built...... but that had better not been the best line that Kubiak could've built.

David has got talent. That's easy enough to see. He gives you a pretty good toolbox to really build something. But without knowing which QBs will be on our roster, I still don't believe he gives us the best chance of winning. He's got too much to learn, and if he's on the field, it's so that he can learn those things.

I don't think that we should trade him. Mainly because I don't think we could get anything for him. & while he is making too much money to be a backup QB.... we've been overpaying him for the last 5 years, what's one more?? & while he is definitely not a starter in this league, you can't ask for a better back-up. You just tell him, "don't lose the game" & let him go.

He should get at least a half of every preseason game....... none of this 1 series crap we did last year. He needs as much field time as possible. Especially time that doesn't count against our regular season record.

Under no circumstances should he be our starter at the start of the season. We need to prove that our offensive line(whatever configuration they put together) can protect our new starting QB. & When ever Kubiak thinks he is ready, and our first stringer(Plummer, Garcia, Charlie Batch) appears to be struggling, then throw David in there.

Pretty much the same approach that has been taken with Kyle Boller, & J.P. Losman.

TXGRL
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Well with Calhoun gone, instead of having 3 offensive minds we now have 2. So it'll definately help change from the identity crisis we had on offense last season.

Im hoping in this case we will have addition by subtraction.

Let's hope we see more plays than a lateral passing game and a quick short yard runs.

Texan_Aggie222
01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Since we are talking about Kyle, anybody know why he left Dad in Denver to follow Kubiak? Was it just the warm weather or was it that he thought he could move up the ladder faster here in Houston than in Denver?

TheRealJoker
01-18-2007, 08:53 PM
He was never IN Denver because he didn't want people to think he was handed a job because his father was the HC.

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
01-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Great when crappy teams promote from within - they stay that way

Bubbajwp
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
He was never IN Denver because he didn't want people to think he was handed a job because his father was the HC.

I thought he was the Broncos offensive quality control coach. Or was it for the Buccaneers. I forget every time.

TheRealJoker
01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Bucs

TexanSam
01-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Since we are talking about Kyle, anybody know why he left Dad in Denver to follow Kubiak? Was it just the warm weather or was it that he thought he could move up the ladder faster here in Houston than in Denver?

I remember reading somewhere that eventually he wants to coach with his dad but not just yet.

MorKnolle
01-19-2007, 12:03 AM
I remember reading somewhere that eventually he wants to coach with his dad but not just yet.

I had heard that too that he would like to coach with his dad some day, but that he didn't want to start out under his dad and wanted to create his coaching path on his own without being in the shadow of his dad from day 1.

Bronco Texan
01-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Well unless we make the playoffs next year I don't see Sherman moving on. I give Sherman about two years before he does finally move on. That should give Kyle enough time to be groomed. I really hope no other teams come knocking on the door for him though. I really think he can be the next big thing in the coaching ranks.

By the way just because he has never played QB doesn't mean he cant be an excellent QB coach. I know a guy by the name of Charlie Wies who has never played a down of football before and I believe he is considered a very good QB guru. Lets give the kid some time, I'm sure he will do just fine.

TwinSisters
01-19-2007, 01:05 PM
By the way just because he has never played QB doesn't mean he cant be an excellent QB coach. I know a guy by the name of Charlie Wies who has never played a down of football before and I believe he is considered a very good QB guru. Lets give the kid some time, I'm sure he will do just fine.

Uh... Weis? The guy spent more years coaching High School football as an ASSISTANT then Lil' Kyle spent IN High School. Plus he has a master's degree in eduaction...

So that's 10 in the ranks before he gets his first NFL job.

Make that another 11 in the NFL before he coaches QBs... that's about 20+ years of proven success with a long string of Pro-Bowlers underneath his tutelage.

Charlie Weis = Kyle Shanahan

no.

Besides that his big claim to fame in QBs is Tom Brady. You have to be kidding me if you think David Carr is that kinda material?

tsip
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM

...like his dad didn't have something to do with him in Houston?

Porky
01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
What FA QB is going to want to sign here knowing the QB coach is still in diapers. I think this whole thing is an embarrasment. This is a pro NFL team, not romper room. No experience playing or coaching QB's on any level, even HS. One whole yr as an NFL assistant. And exactly what did he do to distuingish himself in one whole yr as WR coach to deserve a promption to such a high level position?

Mr. White
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
What FA QB is going to want to sign here knowing the QB coach is still in diapers. I think this whole thing is an embarrasment. This is a pro NFL team, not romper room. No experience playing or coaching QB's on any level, even HS. One whole yr as an NFL assistant. And exactly what did he do to distuingish himself in one whole yr as WR coach to deserve a promption to such a high level position?

This is on the job training for Shanahan. Any QB that comes in has gotta know that he'll be working more with Kubes anyway.

tsip
01-19-2007, 03:36 PM
This is on the job training for Shanahan. Any QB that comes in has gotta know that he'll be working more with Kubes anyway.

Kubes needs to get away from all the assistant coaching and concentrate on being a HC--game planning, developing schemes,player evaluations w/OC-DC--spending his time with the QB and QB coach and being the OC last year resulted in just about the worse OF in the NFL. Did Shanahan do his job for him in Denver?...don't think so--picking people with no experience in his first HC gig is not going to help him, especially coaching a position that has been a problem since day one....

Double Barrel
01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
After working mostly with the Texans’ offensive line in 2006, Sherman now will share the play-calling responsibilities with Kubiak. The Seattle Seahawks’ offensive coordinator in 1999, Sherman anticipates sharing ideas with Kubiak about the direction of the offense in the coming months.

“Gary and I are going to sit down and talk about those things at some point here once we settle down with some of the personnel issues,” Sherman said. “Right now, we’re working on free agency. There will come a time when Gary and I will sit down and we’ll formulate that plan.”

This does not sound like Sherman is going to follow Kubiak's offensive designs, but rather will be a co-pilot in this 'hybrid' offense we're trying to run. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I thought Kubiak has an offense and would want an OC that would help him implement it accordingly.

What we see now is two cooks trying to cook one meal in the kitchen. Who's recipe do they follow?

Entering his second season as an NFL position coach, and fourth in the NFL, Shanahan will be in his first year coaching quarterbacks. When Shanahan started the 2006 season, he was the youngest position coach in the NFL. Before joining the Texans as wide receivers coach, he spent two seasons as the offensive quality control coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, working closely with the quarterbacks and receivers.

Shanahan couldn’t be more pleased about the move.

“Coaching receivers is something I always knew I would start with going into my coaching career being a receiver and spending most of my life working at receiver,” Shanahan said. “But quarterback was always something I knew I wanted to go to. I’m pumped that coach Kubiak promoted me to that spot.”

Let's face it, our QB "coach" has no experience. Period. We can shake it this way and that way, talk about his 'pedigree' and his last name, what he grew up with, but at the end of the day, the dude has absolutely no authority to groom a young QB or provide a veteran QB with deep insight. Maybe Kubiak wants him to be a QB buddy, a liaison between the HC and QB. I just do not see some fountain of knowledge being put into position to help whatever QB we end up with. I'll trust Kubiak's judgement, though, with guarded optimism.

This is my concern, too. Like I said earlier, I'm not dissin' the guy or trying to bring him down. I'm just concerned that we're putting favoritism over true experience on positions that require some insight to help our players improve.

shinerbock_girl
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM

Have to agree with you...But if he's a part of the Texans i have to support him...Just hope he brings something to the table...It's His first season with the Texans, i'll give him that, but now i want to see some results from him...Or like the rest, he'll be gone next year...

Bronco Texan
01-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Uh... Weis? The guy spent more years coaching High School football as an ASSISTANT then Lil' Kyle spent IN High School. Plus he has a master's degree in eduaction...

So that's 10 in the ranks before he gets his first NFL job.

Make that another 11 in the NFL before he coaches QBs... that's about 20+ years of proven success with a long string of Pro-Bowlers underneath his tutelage.

Charlie Weis = Kyle Shanahan

no.

Besides that his big claim to fame in QBs is Tom Brady. You have to be kidding me if you think David Carr is that kinda material?

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. All I was trying to get at is that you don't have to play a certain position to coach it. In no way in my post did I state Weis was equal to Kyle. Please point out where I stated that. Thank you.

Bronco Texan
01-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Kubes needs to get away from all the assistant coaching and concentrate on being a HC--game planning, developing schemes,player evaluations w/OC-DC--spending his time with the QB and QB coach and being the OC last year resulted in just about the worse OF in the NFL. Did Shanahan do his job for him in Denver?...don't think so--picking people with no experience in his first HC gig is not going to help him, especially coaching a position that has been a problem since day one....

A great HC needs to not only develope his players, but his coaching staff. Kubes needs to have his hands deep all over this team. If he can't do that and be successful then we will need someone who can. Being a Denver fan all my life I've followed Kubes and Shanahan. One thing I've learned all through the years is Shanny has his hands all over every aspect of that Broncos team. Does it help to have asst. coaches that are successful? Sure, but you still need a mixture of experience and young blood.

I think some of you guys are making too big of a deal out of young Kyle's age. You guys have to remember that coaches and assistant coaches have to start somewhere. Just because he is on his first stint with a football franchise as an assistant coach doesn't mean he doesn't have the knowlege and drive to get things done. Experience just comes with the job. He isn't just some kid off the street. Geez, he has worked his way up through the ranks.

tsip
01-20-2007, 04:40 AM
...hands on is one thing...doing the job of an assistant is another. There are not enough hours in the day to 'do' it all by yourself. An effective mgr picks assts that can do the job and lets them do it, all the while observing/answering questions/giving advice,etc. but letting the coach do his job...

My problem with hiring a 'newbie' that has no experience is that Kubiak is a newbie as well--someone has to train Kyle. WE've got to create and install an offense this year. We've got to do something about the QB situation. Then, there's the defense and special teams, both of which are still going to need Gary's attention/hands on...

If this were an established team, I could see this situation having a better chance of working but-JMO- kubiak is spreading himself too 'thin.' An effective mgr does not do that---he delegates and uses his assts to help manage...maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am, but Kubiak needs less to do ...not more.

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I think some of you guys are making too big of a deal out of young Kyle's age. You guys have to remember that coaches and assistant coaches have to start somewhere. Just because he is on his first stint with a football franchise as an assistant coach doesn't mean he doesn't have the knowlege and drive to get things done. Experience just comes with the job. He isn't just some kid off the street. Geez, he has worked his way up through the ranks.

This is a bad hire in my opinion. This team is not on auto pilot. If we had an established winning program then sure hand off controls to the young buc for a position he has never had any experience with and a position that has been a disappointment from the onset of our history.

If this move is not a harbinger to Carr moving on then it is not getting better before it gets worse in my opinion. Hopefully Smith will be the architect and Kubiak will be the implementer, because I have not liked many of the moves Kubiak has had his hands on off the field. I am behind Kubiak, but to dismiss his questionable moves as its his show is foolish.

threetoedpete
01-20-2007, 10:56 AM
This is a bad hire in my opinion. This team is not on auto pilot. If we had an established winning program then sure hand off controls to the young buc for a position he has never had any experience with and a position that has been a disappointment from the onset of our history.

If this move is not a harbinger to Carr moving on then it is not getting better before it gets worse in my opinion. Hopefully Smith will be the architect and Kubiak will be the implementer, because I have not liked many of the moves Kubiak has had his hands on off the field. I am behind Kubiak, but to dismiss his questionable moves as its his show is foolish.

And who are you to make any kind of judgement on who Kubiak wants to hire ? What credentials do you have as an NFL execcutive to judge Kubiak's moves ? He wants the kid, for whatever reason. It's Kubiack's decsion. not yours. You want to get on the rag about the move, take a midol. The guy has waited twent five years for his gig. I refuse to believe for anyone Kubiack would jepodise that. As far as what you think ? Who are you ? Maybe you're the guy that needs a few blenders ? As far as what you want, poney up seven hunderd million there big guy and you too can be a stinking genius. And what else have you brought to this board Toro in five years that has been positive ? Link me there big guy.

tsip
01-20-2007, 10:57 AM
"because I have not liked many of the moves Kubiak has had his hands on off the field. I am behind Kubiak, but to dismiss his questionable moves as its his show is foolish."

...good point, KT. JMO, but a lot of posters are not being honest about our offensive (or lack there of) showing in Kubes first year. We put up #'s in '06 that are comparable to the Palmer/Pendry play in '05, including fewer TD's by our starting QB. Did anyone really think that was going to happen?

We don't have the luxury of wasting another year not putting an offensive foundation into place upon which to build...heck, maybe it's just me and what we saw (absent a vertical passing game) is what we're going to build on. Too, like always in our history, are the excuses--'we can't/couldn't do this or that because we don't have that or this.'

After 5 yrs (half a decade as Vinny points out), we deserve better....

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 11:07 AM
And who are you to make any kind of judgement on who Kubiak wants to hire ? What credentials do you have as an NFL execcutive to judge Kubiak's moves ? He wants the kid, for whatever reason. It's Kubiack's decsion. not yours. You want to get on the rag about the move, take a midol. The guy has waited twent five years for his gig. I refuse to believe for anyone Kubiack would jepodise that. As far as what you think ? Who are you ? Maybe you're the guy that needs a few blenders ? As far as what you want, poney up seven hunderd million there big guy and you too can be a stinking genius. And what else have you brought to this board Toro in five years that has been positive ? Link me there big guy.

I have at least been on a coaching staff at the collegiate level, have represented players in the profesional ranks and am a manager for a Fortune 500 company, so I think I am qualified to speak about organization and career development.

I bought PSLs before David Carr was even drafted so I am more invested than any coach and GM ever will be for this franchise just like others who craved for this experience.

Positive? I am as a big of a homer as there is and happy to have a bleeding heart for guys that have earned a second chance. Poor decisions need to be called out and unfortunately there have been many. Get off your high horse, add something coherent, speak to the topics or the subject and enjoy the banter that is the Texans' message board.

tsip
01-20-2007, 11:08 AM

...let's say all the fans disappear-empty stadium/all unpaid seats...no body watching/no TV money,etc. OK, smart guy, how long does the team stay in business?

Who are we? We are the fans...go head, take us away...see what happens! It's like your local grocery store...do their customers have a say in the way they do business?...you bet they do!...so, who are you to say we don't have a right to voice our opinion? HINT...it's one of those 'freedoms' this country was built on....geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 11:37 AM
...let's say all the fans disappear-empty stadium/all unpaid seats...no body watching/no TV money,etc. OK, smart guy, how long does the team stay in business?

Who are we? We are the fans...go head, take us away...see what happens! It's like your local grocery store...do their customers have a say in the way they do business?...you bet they do!...so, who are you to say we don't have a right to voice our opinion? HINT...it's one of those 'freedoms' this country was built on....geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Happy Birthday tsip. Big game in Philly today for the Horns.

threetoedpete
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
You called ,me out. let me know when I can stop looking ?
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=32053&page=2

that's twenty five there big guy you're batting 1000.

West Texas Texan
01-20-2007, 11:51 AM
I think we already have an O Line coach. I can't remember his name though. He worked along side Sherman with the O Line. So we actually had two coaches on that part of the game, and the results were? And what was the weakest part of our game this year? IMHO its best that Sherman gets away from the OLine, as I don't think he helped in that area this year. And that amazes me, simply because of his resume of coaching OLines.

Kubes calls the O plays. (perhaps a main reason why strahan left). Interesting to see how the "A" personalities are going to mesh between Kubes and Sherman now that they both will want to call the plays.

The players like Kubes, he has been called a "players" coach, much like Coach Cowher. The players are rallying around Kubes, and with a year under his system, are beginning to believe in it. Did ya'll notice the fight in the dog at the end of the year?

From what I understand, the players think that Shanahan is very bright. We need to understand what a WR coach actually does. The WR coach works on reads, routes and timing. For those of us that watched the Texans this year, timing between the QB and WR's was the downfall to a more prolific passing game. Anyone that's tossed a football a time or two knows that with timing the "vertical" passing game becomes a reality. That being said, making Shanahan the QB coach makes very good sense, as there needs to be some coaching on getting the timing down between the QB and WR's. Shanahan has the WR route schemes down, now needs to get the QB on the same page. (Some think that the QB coach only works on throwing mechanics, which is actually the last thing a QB coach does - by the time a QB gets to the NFL, the mechanics are usually permanently implanted in his body).

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 12:00 PM
You called ,me out. let me know when I can stop looking ?
[url]http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=32053&page=2{/url}

I honestly do not understand what you are saying half the time. I left my Pearl Light decoder ring in my tackle box so please help me understand what it is that you would like for me to comment on?

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I think we already have an O Line coach. I can't remember his name though. He worked along side Sherman with the O Line. So we actually had two coaches on that part of the game, and the results were? And what was the weakest part of our game this year? IMHO its best that Sherman gets away from the OLine, as I don't think he helped in that area this year. And that amazes me, simply because of his resume of coaching OLines.

Kubes calls the O plays. (perhaps a main reason why strahan left). Interesting to see how the "A" personalities are going to mesh between Kubes and Sherman now that they both will want to call the plays.

The players like Kubes, he has been called a "players" coach, much like Coach Cowher. The players are rallying around Kubes, and with a year under his system, are beginning to believe in it. Did ya'll notice the fight in the dog at the end of the year?

From what I understand, the players think that Shanahan is very bright. We need to understand what a WR coach actually does. The WR coach works on reads, routes and timing. For those of us that watched the Texans this year, timing between the QB and WR's was the downfall to a more prolific passing game. Anyone that's tossed a football a time or two knows that with timing the "vertical" passing game becomes a reality. That being said, making Shanahan the QB coach makes very good sense, as there needs to be some coaching on getting the timing down between the QB and WR's. Shanahan has the WR route schemes down, now needs to get the QB on the same page. (Some think that the QB coach only works on throwing mechanics, which is actually the last thing a QB coach does - by the time a QB gets to the NFL, the mechanics are usually permanently implanted in his body).

I agree with your logic. However, this hire is not the best for the team at this point in time unless we are moving Carr and Kubiak is confident enough that Sage and Van Pelt only need the bridge that you speak of Shanahan being. You do have to realize that this franchise has made horrible decision after horrible decision and it stings. Once again if we were coming off of a 9-7 campaign where the passing game had made incremental strides many of us in my opinion would not be belly aching.

thunderkyss
01-20-2007, 12:17 PM

I'm not understanding all the concern........

Kyle was the offensive quality control "coach" in TampaBay... his tenure in that position has been seen as a success to everyone close enough to give an opinion of it.

in '06, when Kubes wasn't chewing out David, David was talking to Kyle like he would a QB coach......... in other words, he's already been doing the job anyway, now he gets the title. I'm sure if Kubiak thought he didn't handle the job well in '06, he wouldn't have gotten the title in '07.

If I thought our primary concern was going to be fixing David Carr, then yes I'd want someone more experienced... someone with some real success. Like whoever was working with Kitna this year... or the guys who worked with Frye & Anderson in Cleveland....... or whoever is working in KC. Or Chris Palmer.

But if were' going to go forward, and our primary concern is winning, getting our QBs ready for Sunday...... what makes us think Kyle can't do what he's been doing for the last 4 years??

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not understanding all the concern........

Kyle was the offensive quality control "coach" in TampaBay... his tenure in that position has been seen as a success to everyone close enough to give an opinion of it.

in '06, when Kubes wasn't chewing out David, David was talking to Kyle like he would a QB coach......... in other words, he's already been doing the job anyway, now he gets the title. I'm sure if Kubiak thought he didn't handle the job well in '06, he wouldn't have gotten the title in '07.

If I thought our primary concern was going to be fixing David Carr, then yes I'd want someone more experienced... someone with some real success. Like whoever was working with Kitna this year... or the guys who worked with Frye & Anderson in Cleveland....... or whoever is working in KC. Or Chris Palmer.

But if were' going to go forward, and our primary concern is winning, getting our QBs ready for Sunday...... what makes us think Kyle can't do what he's been doing for the last 4 years??

So you consider this a great hire or are you making a footprint?

TwinSisters
01-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. All I was trying to get at is that you don't have to play a certain position to coach it. In no way in my post did I state Weis was equal to Kyle. Please point out where I stated that. Thank you.

Here's what we are talking about:

Does a coach need to play a position to be a good coach in that position?

Your premise or argument evidence: Charlie Weis didn't play the positions he coached and was effective or at least good at it within reason. ( Yes, I know that there is a million man throng of folks that will say otherwise, however he wasn't flat out fired by some the better coaches in the known world )

Therefore Kyle Shanahan can be a good coach without having played the position or having any real experience playing football at all outside of high school and college. He didn't play that much for the Longhorns ( less than 10 games career total ).

I am saying Charlie Weis cannot be used to support this argument.

Weis had 10 years of incremental coaching experience from high school through college and another 10 in the NFL before having the job of coaching a QB without having played the QB position.

Weis 20 years of coaching >= to playing position
----

So it cannot be said that it is reasonable to expect Shanahan to be good at coaching QBs without being a quarterback, because Charlie Weis was a good coach without ever playing a down.

Weis spent a significant amount of time learning and training to be a coach and educator before taking on the same task.

---

not that this is all that productive to the original question or anything either :)

thunderkyss
01-20-2007, 12:58 PM
So you consider this a great hire or are you making a footprint?

I think it's a logical move....... they felt Kyle deserved a promotion..... they gave him one. Consider us lucky that Sherman couldn't get a job elsewhere, or Kyle woul be our OC........ at least this way, he can gain more experience before he becomes our OC. Or would you rather he goes somewhere else, prove his worth as an OC, then apply for the job here, while other teams are interviewing him for HEadCoach??

prostock101
01-20-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm amazed at all the chatter about Kyle being made QB coach. Do we really care? With Kub looking over his shoulder, I don't see it being such an issue. Now if he was made OL coach, I'd have to say, "Hey, wait just a minute...."

Kaiser Toro
01-20-2007, 01:06 PM
I think it's a logical move....... they felt Kyle deserved a promotion..... they gave him one. Consider us lucky that Sherman couldn't get a job elsewhere, or Kyle woul be our OC........ at least this way, he can gain more experience before he becomes our OC. Or would you rather he goes somewhere else, prove his worth as an OC, then apply for the job here, while other teams are interviewing him for HEadCoach??

I am tired of people championing the mantra of whats best for David, Kyle, etc. I want what is best for the Texans and the development of our players and I find it hard to believe that people think this was the best candidate for the job.

thunderkyss
01-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I am tired of people championing the mantra of whats best for David, Kyle, etc. I want what is best for the Texans and the development of our players and I find it hard to believe that people think this was the best candidate for the job.

Ok.... who do you think would be the best Candidate??

& what makes you think Kyle wasn't?? He worked with QBs in Tampa... he worked with David last year........

what does Kyle have to do to prove to you that he was the best candidate for the job??

tsip
01-20-2007, 03:24 PM
"he worked with David last year........ "

...maybe you don't want to mention that...

"what does Kyle have to do to prove to you that he was the best candidate for the job??"

For starters, what did Kyle actually achieve last year?...participate in an anemic passing game that had fewer td's than the year before and more interceptions--AJ, yeah he caught a 100 balls, and you would expect that considering no one else was thrown to on a regular basis...

...sorry, but the only thing I've heard about Kyle getting promoted doesn't say a thing about what he achieved to get the promotion. In most professions there are 'tangible' things that everyone can see for why a person got promoted---so, come on Kyle supporters--back up your point.