PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing about Jabbar no?

Bongo59
01-14-2007, 10:55 PM
He is a bust in Houston and now he looks like Steve Largent in NE? Whose fault? Pendry's? Capers? Carr? Bottom line something is amiss in TX.

hot pickle
01-14-2007, 11:01 PM
He is a bust in Houston and now he looks like Steve Largent in NE? Whose fault? Pendry's? Capers? Carr? Bottom line something is amiss in TX.

the fault is with the o-line and david carr, as well as the offensive coordinator for not usin him better

thunderkyss
01-14-2007, 11:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing. couldn't catch a cold in Houston....... sloppy routes.. not looking for the ball.....

It's amazing how people change when they're staring unemployment right in the face.

TexanSam
01-14-2007, 11:09 PM
You can't blame the Texans for cutting him. He wasn't very good here, plain and simple. And it's not like he's been playing well for the Patriots all season. He caught 11 passes during the regular season. He decided to start playing well at the right time. And don't forget, we aren't the only team to have cut him. The Eagles did as well.

mexican_texan
01-15-2007, 12:32 AM
The thrill of a player's college winning the national championship propels them to get their own ring. You see it with Gaffney and Casey Hampton last year.

J-Storm
01-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Wow! We as Texans fans know how to knock players when they leave here and succeed huh? Will we do the same if Carr is to move on and excel somewhere else?

Gaff has made the most of his opportunity atm and gd luck to him. The coaching staff there obviously know how to handle him better than our coaching staff at the time ever did apparently *shrugs*...

Mr teX
01-15-2007, 05:54 AM
After watching him close for about 2-3 years, i figured he could be a solid number 2 reciever & he's shaping up to be just that. He's not blazing & if you've ever watched him vinny he does run crappy routes, but when you have an accurate guy like Brady throwing to you , that aspect of you're game really doesn't matter much b/c he's going to put the ball on you 90% of the time.

Talk about the message board banter all you want, but he did get cut from the Eagles & sat for a couple of weeks before the pats picked him up, so you have to wonder, if the Pats don't trade branch, does he even play this year? he's been solid for them in the playoffs so i'll give him his props.

Kaiser Toro
01-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Bad fit in Philly for Gaff where the WR's are expected to get YAC or stretch the field. Gaff was a better WR1 when AJ was out because in a Carr led offense there is only WR1 and dump down to a back from a progression stand point.

Tulip
01-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Gaff was a better WR1 when AJ was out because in a Carr led offense there is only WR1 and dump down to a back from a progression stand point.

Exactly - which is why I took exception to John McClain saying that one of the reasons that the Texans need to draft a WR this year is because they "got all they could" from Moulds this season. Huh?

Gaffney got a third chance with a winning ball club, sitting at the bottom of the depth chart, and he's taken advantage of his opportunity. Good for him.

nunusguy
01-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Gaffney remained on the roster and started all the years that Capers ran the
team. It was not until Kubiak arrived that Gaffney left the Texans scene.

Texans Horror
01-15-2007, 07:27 AM
I understand knocking the coaching staff here, and I can appreciate Gaffney's lack of elite skills, but at the same time, I have to give credit to New England's coaching staff. They are known for making a lot out of very little. With better coaching, Gaffney's playing much better.

jerek
01-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Credit NE (as always) for making the most out of their players with superior coaching. My only input is that he seemed lazy at times but given the cupcake offense we'd been running, I can empathize to an extent with his lack of enthusiasm.

TheCD
01-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Don't make too much of his success. He's done wonderful and we should be happy for him, but Tom Brady has made a career of making just about any WR look good. New England believes in the philosophy that any player is replacable, and that has never been more evident than with their WR's.

Double Barrel
01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Gaffney got a third chance with a winning ball club, sitting at the bottom of the depth chart, and he's taken advantage of his opportunity. Good for him.

I agree, and I wish him the best. It's nice to see a player the Texans drafted succeed, even on another team.

Don't make too much of his success.

Yeah, his 18 catches/207 yards in two post-season games is nothing. :ok: riiiiiiiight

thunderkyss
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
its also amazing how some people can take message board banter and think that all the rumor/gosip/coach takes have credibilty. You are talking about one play in particular when he was clearing out and some perception thrown down by message board experts on Gaffney's routes. Everyone talks about players as if it was all black and white but in reality most of the talent across the league is fairly equal with a few elite players and a lot of guys with similar skills competing for a few roster spots.

Yep.. you got me Vinny. You are sooo right.

I was watching that game, and kept thinking....... " Man, Gaffney is wide open on almost every play. Why couldn't he have done that here in Houston??"

Then it dawned on me..... we're getting about the same production out of Eric Moulds(Pro Bowler)

So I thought...... "Maybe our guys are getting opened, and our bus driver just don't see them."

Of course, David doesn't usually get more than 2.5 seconds to go through his progressions.... most QBs don't, but that's another story...... or is it??

ROCKY
01-15-2007, 12:11 PM
It just illustrates the problem with stocking a team full with such young guys. Jabar should not have had to step right into a starting position here, but he did, and was labeled a bust because he did'nt perform up to a starters level of play.

But watching Jabar this weekend, I thought of guys like Ty Law, and Patrick Surtain, who I used to watch years ago, getting burnt all the time, and the commentators would say that "these guys dont know what they're doing!" But after a few years in the fire, they became truly great players.

And that's just it, young players take time to develop. The Texans were not in a position where they could put a guy like jabar at third or fourth on the depth chart and let him find himself.

And to see guys like billy miller making plays for the Saints, and Joppru on the sidelines for the seahawks. It really makes you wonder what guys like babin, carr, and peek will do when they make it to teams who give them the opportunity to shine, instead of set them up to fail.

Tale Gator
01-15-2007, 12:14 PM
How surprising that Jabar is doing well with a elite QB throwing him the ball.

Texans_Chick
01-15-2007, 12:18 PM
It just illustrates the problem with stocking a team full with such young guys. Jabar should not have had to step right into a starting position here, but he did, and was labeled a bust because he did'nt perform up to a starters level of play.

But watching Jabar this weekend, I thought of guys like Ty Law, and Patrick Surtain, who I used to watch years ago, getting burnt all the time, and the commentators would say that "these guys dont know what they're doing!" But after a few years in the fire, they became truly great players.

And that's just it, young players take time to develop. The Texans were not in a position where they could put a guy like jabar at third or fourth on the depth chart and let him find himself.

And to see guys like billy miller making plays for the Saints, and Joppru on the sidelines for the seahawks. It really makes you wonder what guys like babin, carr, and peek will do when they make it to teams who give them the opportunity to shine, instead of set them up to fail.

Because football is such a team game, it is one of fit and chemistry. I am convinced that there are very few players in the league who are so good that they would be a success no matter what environment that they were in, no matter who the players were around them or what coaching they received.

So much in life, and not just in football, is about providence and good fortune. I believe in making your own luck and maximizing the things you can do to succeed, but I also believe in blind luck.

Some of the best things that have happened in my life were complete wonderful accidents. Always have to keep your eyes open for such things.

ROCKY
01-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Because football is such a team game, it is one of fit and chemistry. I am convinced that there are very few players in the league who are so good that they would be a success no matter what environment that they were in, no matter who the players were around them or what coaching they received.

So much in life, and not just in football, is about providence and good fortune. I believe in making your own luck and maximizing the things you ^Tcan do to succeed, but I also believe in blind luck.

Some of the best things that have happened in my life were complete wonderful accidents. Always have to keep your eyes open for such things.

True. That is a huge part of it too. Of course the scheme and all that plays a big part as well.

Hell, it might be that he had a while to simply work on his game without a coach over his shoulder breaking down his footwork, hand position etc. Or maybe life out of the league simply scared the crap out of him...I guess some things just were'nt meant to be.

dtran04
01-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Tom Brady has ways of making FLORIDA receivers decent. Nobody else can do that. They might as well draft the younger Caldwell in the upcoming years too.

blockhead83
01-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Gaffney had 10+ catch games when he was the #1 (Aj was down) in Houston as well, he isn't doing anything I didn't see him do when he was here. Including stupid plays like having a first down and then running backwards to make it 4th and short, or letting a deep bomb go through his hands in the end zone. Tom Brady is what is helping his production, he's still a mediocre talent and I don't miss him. NE is going to continue to look to improve their receiving corp.

YellerLotYeller
01-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Just to rub it in that he's in the playoffs...today my Texans desk calendar's trivia said he attempted 1 pass in each of our first 3 seasons. Just thought it was a wierd coinsidence. Not gonna hate on him since I like to see our guys do well.