PDA

View Full Version : Who's our Playmaker?

TXGRL
01-14-2007, 08:01 PM
I know we are in the re-building phase...but if you had to say we had a true playmaker...one who stands apart from the rest...who would it be?

Want your opinion...

Trap_Star
01-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I have a feeling this is gonna turn into a carr-bashing thread...

TheRealJoker
01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Andre Johnson?

Toro
01-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Don't they all?

Vinny
01-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Easy Question....I think Carr had the lowest yards per attempt of all the NFL starters and Andre had the most YAC of the wr's...so it's Andre Johnson.

HJam72
01-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Anthony Maddux :)

Brandon420tx
01-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Cochran .....

How about DPM!!!:tease:

baba ganoush
01-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Defense: DeMeco Ryans...hands down...possibly Dunta Robinson
Offense: Andre Johnson...easy pick here...
Special Teams: Jerome Mathis...when healthy...

I guess that would mean we have playmakers all over the field...then what happened this season?

Coach C.
01-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Honestly we dont have one. Andre is a very talented player, and I think that he can be, but honestly he just shows flashes. Teams gameplan for Mario, AJ, and Carr so those are the three guys that other teams think of as guys that can beat them.

thetexanator
01-14-2007, 09:29 PM
teams gameplan for carr???

Ole Miss Texan
01-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Vonta Leach

Vinny
01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
teams gameplan for carr???
sure they do. They try to keep us in passing situations so Carr can do his magic.

Ole Miss Texan
01-14-2007, 09:44 PM
sure they do. They try to keep us in passing situations so Carr can do his magic.

LOL. Sure makes coaching easy..dont it?

Coach C.
01-14-2007, 10:08 PM

Dont make it sound that simple. They make sure that he stays in the pocket which is they find is easier to collapse. Plus they make sure to keep us in third and long situations. I understand were you are coming from with Carr and I am not going to make excuses for him, because bottomline he has to be better if we are going to be successful, but you carry alot of weight on this board so dont make it sound like they dont think of Carr as dangerous in many situations.

tulexan
01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
We don't have a playmaker on offense. Andre Johnson is good, but he drops a lot of balls and doesn't do much after the catch. One day he may turn into a playmaker (possibly with a new QB), but currently he is just an above avereage WR.

Hulk75
01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
I know we are in the re-building phase...but if you had to say we had a true playmaker...one who stands apart from the rest...who would it be?

Want your opinion...

Vonte Leach.

LoneStarState
01-14-2007, 10:44 PM
On offense... (crickets chirping...)

well, um - on defense, DeMeco Ryans.

Texan2Tuff
01-14-2007, 11:08 PM

Want your opinion...

I'd say, Andre Johnson

Koolbrz
01-14-2007, 11:34 PM

Want your opinion...

We don't have a playmaker on Offense.

Demeco on the defensive side of the ball hands down.

ChrisG
01-15-2007, 12:08 AM

whoever replaces carr :stirpot: :stirpot: LMAO

currently OFF- Johnson (not a huge playmaker tho)
DEF - Ryans

GanadoUHCoog
01-15-2007, 12:09 AM
offense...???? ....hopefully Adrian Peterson:shades:

Ole Miss Texan
01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Petie Faggins.....for 'them'.

Kaiser Toro
01-15-2007, 05:55 AM
I am sure teams have to spend a lot of time game planning for Carr. :rolleyes:

Our playmaker on offense is AJ.

J-Storm
01-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Defense: DeMeco Ryans...hands down...possibly Dunta Robinson
Offense: Andre Johnson...easy pick here...
Special Teams: Jerome Mathis...when healthy...

I guess that would mean we have playmakers all over the field...then what happened this season?

I don't know why but I actually had to laugh at the end part of this post. It's so true after all, but I digress... the answer to the Q woud have to be DeMeco Ryans wouldn't it? Our poll here for Texan player of the Year proved that theory...

TXGRL
01-15-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree w/Ryans comments....

Makes you think...you know that we don't have an offensive playmaker....hmmmmmm. :lightning:

Coach C.
01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
I am sure teams have to spend a lot of time game planning for Carr. :rolleyes:

Our playmaker on offense is AJ.

KT it is laughable that you would think that teams dont spend alot of time game planning for Carr. You know I am one of your biggest fans on this board, but as you know in football you have to gameplan for the QB more than almost anyone. Either way Carr needs to improve, and he did make plays this year also. Hopefully we all get what we want, since most logical thinking people want either an improved David Carr or someone that can make more plays than mistakes.

real
01-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Hopefully we all get what we want, since most logical thinking people want either an improved David Carr or someone that can make more plays than mistakes.

I'm not sure who wouldn't want one of those two scenarios other than fans from other teams....The only problem is that people are going to have opinions....Some think Carr plain and simple can't get 'er done....and some think he can if given more talent, and time.....

Coach C.
01-15-2007, 10:27 AM
I think that Carr showed enough to warrant offseason competition, but if he does not improve boot his @ss.

srstex
01-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Did anyone else hear Rick Smith do the two step about Carr ? Last week on this board an interview sounded like Rick wanted Carr gone, but yesterday he did the Texas two step and sounded like Carr was still the main guy but will need to compete. Two diverent answers to the same question.

fdknuckles
01-15-2007, 10:30 AM
I know it's not alot to go on, but from his few appearances on the field last year, I say David Anderson could be a playmaker next year put in the #3 reciever spot.

Kaiser Toro
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM
KT it is laughable that you would think that teams dont spend alot of time game planning for Carr. You know I am one of your biggest fans on this board, but as you know in football you have to gameplan for the QB more than almost anyone. Either way Carr needs to improve, and he did make plays this year also. Hopefully we all get what we want, since most logical thinking people want either an improved David Carr or someone that can make more plays than mistakes.

As a fomer coach in another sport and your namesake purportting to be one I would think that you would agree that five years of data and film would say one thing, get in Carr's face early. Carr will take care of everything else after that. Promoting the notion that Carr is this dynamic QB who has a multi faceted game is more fairly tale than fact.

real
01-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I think that Carr showed enough to warrant offseason competition, but if he does not improve boot his @ss.

I don't....

I think Carr showed enough in college to be taken number one overall and signed the right contract....

If Carr were a second or third rd. pick, with a smaller contract,and played the exact same way he did this season there is no way we aren't going after a starting QB this off-season...His play hasn't earned him the right to compete....his substantial contract is what's doing that....

Honoring Earl 34
01-15-2007, 10:50 AM
I think if you can get AP take him . There a playmaker .

I think a DE that can be an edge rusher will be there in the 2nd . Playmaker

I think you can draft a decent CB /S in the 3rd . upgrade

Meisterman
01-15-2007, 10:57 AM
when I think of Playmaker....I think of the 2nd and 3rd picks of last year's draft. A Bad toed Sloth...nope :hides:

MrMeToo
01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
ANDRE JOHNSON.
close thread...

HOU-TEX
01-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Bryan Pittman :shades:

baba ganoush
01-15-2007, 11:14 AM
earl campbell...hands down...

TexansSB07
01-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Want your opinion...

Are you asking over, defense only, offense only overall play. I think it would be Joe Marciano Special Teams Coach

2005 2-14 rank on Special Teams 2nd in NFL
2006 6-10 rank on Special Teams 6th in NFL

even when team has struggled Coach Joe has kept special teams going even when players out or injured.

Hulk75
01-15-2007, 04:40 PM
offense...???? ....hopefully Adrian Peterson:shades:

Yes sir........

yourfavoritetexan42
01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Offense, Andre Johnson...but he is more of a go to guy and like a reliable guy to get us a first down. We have yet to have anyone step up and be that player which scares other teams. A player teams have to gameplan for.

Defense, Demeco Ryans, and I really think Mario will be next season. Mario made some big plays this season (the strip against the colts being a good example)

Keldar
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
We have no "playmakers" in the context of your question.

We have some pretty good "go to" guys, but no "playmakers".

real
01-15-2007, 05:05 PM
We have no "playmakers" in the context of your question.

We have some pretty good "go to" guys, but no "playmakers".

I agree.

run-david-run
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Offense, Andre Johnson...but he is more of a go to guy and like a reliable guy to get us a first down. We have yet to have anyone step up and be that player which scares other teams. A player teams have to gameplan for.

Defense, Demeco Ryans, and I really think Mario will be next season. Mario made some big plays this season (the strip against the colts being a good example)

laughing at tlhe fact you dont think AJ scares defenses. i guess those double teams are coincidence then.

dirty steve
01-15-2007, 05:31 PM
the fact that #80 had 100 catches and his second Pro Bowl selection with our QB play should answer the question easily. consistent play at the QB position maybe gets him All-Pro chatter.

swoldier
01-15-2007, 08:44 PM
In the interest of trying to look at this a little deeper than most with the obvious pick of Andre Johnson i will go with Owen Daniels Granted hes not gonna run 80 yards for the TD but i saw alot of good out of him this season he made clutch 3rd down catches and really allowed for longer drives and ultimately points on the board with his clutch play making ability, Owen Daniels is our playmaker!!!!

MorKnolle
01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
In terms of who is a playmaker that can be expected to make a big play at any point in time, Andre Johnson is currently our only real playmaker, and even he had some problems securing the football this year. Owen Daniels can be a solid playmaking TE, although he'll never be the big-play threat that Antonio Gates will be. You could consider Moulds a playmaker, but he's more in the possession WR kind of role now and the majority of his playmaking skills would be more for making big receptions and picking up first downs at key points in the game rather than being much of a deep threat. We don't really have one at RB unless Chris Taylor can make some major improvements. He has some big-play ability and potential, but at this point he isn't an everydown franchise RB or anything like that. David Carr does have the ability to make some plays but they have been too few and far between so far, our offense, when run properly, doesn't require him to make a ton of big plays but when the opportunity is there he definitely needs to do a better job making those plays.

DeMeco Ryans obviously made a lot of plays for us on the defensive side of the ball and I think Mario is well on his way to being a dominant force and consistent playmaker, and Dunta Robinson has the ability to be a big-time playmaker at times. Outside of that our defense is sorely lacking in playmakers.

t_flare
01-16-2007, 07:21 PM
chris taylor next year!!! I have that feeling for him that I have for Westbrook

amazingandre
01-16-2007, 07:39 PM
right now we dont have one but i also think that taylor could become one.....he takes the pounding like dayne but is more nimble and quicker to the hole.....i like this kid a lot

Scooter
01-17-2007, 07:24 AM
mario williams ...

got his first sack in the dolphins game and ended the game with his tipped pass in the endzone on the opposite side of the field. defensive game that he single handedly amped up until the end. (i still feel the roar after his first sack)

forced a fumble leading to a 14-0 lead and a win over the colts ... the biggest play of houston's 2006 season.

major sack, followed by demeco's sack against the giants ... a win if cook doesnt fumble.

game destroying sack/intentional grounding against the browns, beating an interior double team to do it. (they'd been moving the ball at will the entire game)

i count 3 gamebreaking plays during wins, and another on what should've been a win. playmaker.

yes, i'm just having fun ... but they needed to be pointed out. :marionaner:

TXGRL
01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
In the interest of trying to look at this a little deeper than most with the obvious pick of Andre Johnson i will go with Owen Daniels Granted hes not gonna run 80 yards for the TD but i saw alot of good out of him this season he made clutch 3rd down catches and really allowed for longer drives and ultimately points on the board with his clutch play making ability, Owen Daniels is our playmaker!!!!

Ahhh, now you are talking. I think he is really showing us some skills.