PDA

View Full Version : Fox - Inside Slant on the Texans offseason

U4ikrob
01-11-2007, 09:35 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=InsideSlant

The offseason is only two weeks away and the Texans are already making a few changes as general manager Rick Smith begins his first offseason with the franchise.

The main objective the past two weeks has been evaluations. The process of critically looking at everyone in the organization including the coaches, players and trainers has started. Now, it's time to make some changes.
In the past, the Texans have started looking at their free agents at the end of January. Smith has already started that process this offseason.

The Texans don't have any of their big-name players becoming unrestricted or restricted free agents, but they do have a substantial number of players in both of those categories.

V Man
01-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Nice Read. Thanks for posting it.

Maddict5
01-11-2007, 10:48 AM
yeah a good article..10x better than the usual weak efforts from the national outlets

tulexan
01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I didn't watch, not one game. It's not that I didn't care because if anybody cares I care. It was just my way of dealing with it because it would hurt me in another kind of way. I just focused on what I had to do to get myself back and then we'll take care of it when it's time." -- RB Domanick Davis on how difficult it was being on the Injured Reserve all season with his knee injury.

Way to be a team player Dom. I'm sure it was tough for Sage too, but that didn't stop him from doing whatever he could to help the team when he was injured.

Grid
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
People handle injuries in different ways. Domanick has proven himself to be a team player numerous times in the past.

Zac
01-11-2007, 01:32 PM
It would be really interesting if they could sign Corey Redding to shore up their Defensive Line. That would make things real interesting!

Double Barrel
01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I didn't watch, not one game. It's not that I didn't care because if anybody cares I care. It was just my way of dealing with it because it would hurt me in another kind of way. I just focused on what I had to do to get myself back and then we'll take care of it when it's time." -- RB Domanick Davis on how difficult it was being on the Injured Reserve all season with his knee injury.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't expect Domanick Williams to return to the football field based upon our previous knowledge of the situation.

Good article, though, and interesting stuff. Good to hear that the Texas are aggressively addressing the off-season, because it's definitely an important one.

El Tejano
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
This article just reminded me that The Texans need to do something about the Center position.

Any good ones in the draft or FA?

phan1
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Wow, it looks like someone in the national media knows something about the Texans! :tease:

Maddict5
01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
This article just reminded me that The Texans need to do something about the Center position.

ryan kalil would be an excellent C in the 2nd or (unlikely)3rd rd of the draft

2BCF
01-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, that was pretty stupid for DD/DW to say that out loud, especially to the press. But I don't think it is any indicator of his dedication to the team.

U4ikrob
01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/texans_tv/?section=Multimedia

For DW full interview go to the link above and see Dom on the mend.

IMO - if you listen to the whole interview he's pumped to get back on the field. I dont think the comment is nearly as bad as it looks here in print.

Insideop
01-11-2007, 06:22 PM

According to Draft Scout, the top centers in the draft are:

1 Doug Datish Ohio St. 6-4 295

2 Ryan Kalil USC 6-3 292

3 Kyle Young Fresno St. 6-5 328

4 Leroy Harris NC St. 6-3 305

5 Dan Mozes W. Virginia 6-3 295

Haven't heard much about any of these except Kalil who they say is pretty good. He plays for USC, so it could be more hype that fact. I don't know.
Definately no Mangolds in this years crop though. As for FA's, I haven't heard of any yet. Also, this list from NFL Draft Scout is from November, so they probably have an updated version by now that you might check out. Hope this helps!

humbleone
01-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Don't know about FA but Mozes and Satele will be drafted probably on the first day.

AustinJB
01-11-2007, 06:54 PM

IMO, these are a few that sound like they would fit our style very well. I especially like Samson Satele b/c he seems like someone who may slip to the 3rd-4th round.

Ryan Kalil, USC---6-3, 285, 40-Time: 5.15
Strengths:
Good quickness...Moves well and has great range...Is extremely smart with great football instincts and is like a coach along the offensive line...Still has the frame to pack on some additional pounds...Does a nice job in pass protection...Is tough, a hard worker and a leader with top-notch intangibles...Excellent technician...Just a steady, all-around player who has a ton of experience against elite competition.

Doug Datish, Ohio St---6-5, 295, 40-Time: 5.15
Strengths:
Good quickness, athleticism and mobility...Has the frame to add some weight and bulk up...Is extraordinarily versatile with starting experience at center, guard and tackle...Is technically sound and does all the little things...Nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Smart and a hard worker with good intangibles...Has some upside.

Samson Satele, Hawaii---6-3, 311, 40-Time: 5.20
Strengths:
Versatile with experience at center, guard and tackle...Moves very well in space and can get to the second level...Has decent quickness, agility and balance...Very tough with outstanding strength...Superb pass blocker...Is nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Good technician...Smart with outstanding instincts and awareness.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/c.html

threetoedpete
01-11-2007, 08:58 PM

According to Draft Scout, the top centers in the draft are:

1 Doug Datish Ohio St. 6-4 295

2 Ryan Kalil USC 6-3 292

3 Kyle Young Fresno St. 6-5 328

4 Leroy Harris NC St. 6-3 305

5 Dan Mozes W. Virginia 6-3 295

Haven't heard much about any of these except Kalil who they say is pretty good. He plays for USC, so it could be more hype that fact. I don't know.
Definately no Mangolds in this years crop though. As for FA's, I haven't heard of any yet. Also, this list from NFL Draft Scout is from November, so they probably have an updated version by now that you might check out. Hope this helps!

Charles White of South Carolina isn't in your list. He will be drafted. From what I saw of Datish the other night, he isn't Nick Mangold.

HOOK'EM
01-20-2007, 05:02 AM
as long as Carr's gone!

bckey
01-20-2007, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Insideop;570208]

Charles White of South Carolina isn't in your list. He will be drafted. From what I saw of Datish the other night, he isn't Nick Mangold.

I was thinking the same thing about Datish.

jdog
01-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Did you notice the Notes and Quotes and Strategy and Personnel portions? Great stuff. Thanks.

LoneStarState
01-20-2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/texans_tv/?section=Multimedia

For DW full interview go to the link above and see Dom on the mend.

IMO - if you listen to the whole interview he's pumped to get back on the field. I dont think the comment is nearly as bad as it looks here in print.

I hope the powers that be don't put all their eggs in DW's basket like last year.

GP
01-20-2007, 11:56 AM
98% of what I read in the Strategy and Personnel section was true, IMO.

An item I have a question about, though: It says we implemented a zone-blocking system and that it worked well. I kinda' thought we were blocking straight-on "power blocking" tbh.

Another item I have a question about: It says Mathis is looking at being cut because he cannot stay healthy and because he returns kicks and that's it. I understand that you maximize your roster spots, and I understand that you cut players that are jacking around and not on the field. HOWEVER, I think Mathis is actually getting jobbed here. He comes intothe game and returns kicks for big time gains that I don't see ANY other Texan able to pull off, often putting us in positions to win the game or make a comeback attempt. He outruns every DB on deep pass plays, with the QB missing him because he's so much faster than the other receivers. Once a QB gets the timing down with Mathis, it ought to be a home run pass play a lot more than it has. Having said all of that, I trust Kubiak's decision on the guy...but I still have a part of me that thinks Mathis is getting a raw deal. Is he unhappy with his contract salary? If so, maybe he's got a point when he's "injured" and cannot help the team. He would be on any other NFL team with his talent. No other returner for our team has made the consistent impact that Mathis has made. He's not a one-hit wonder: He's done it 4 or 5 times now. On a team that lacks PURE talent in most positions, it's nice to actually see a guy (Mathis) excel and surpass others around him. I say that you do whatever it takes to make him happy, and when you cannot make him happy after several attempts (re-working the contract, etc.) then you cut him loose. Have they reallllllly tried all that they can try to get him in the spot that they want him in? I mean, come on: How much MORE does the guy have to do on the field to earn his keep?

thunderkyss
01-20-2007, 12:39 PM
98% of what I read in the Strategy and Personnel section was true, IMO.

An item I have a question about, though: It says we implemented a zone-blocking system and that it worked well. I kinda' thought we were blocking straight-on "power blocking" tbh.

I made the same mistake..... especially early in the season/preseason.

Like CoachDent has said though..... it's been ZBS the whole time. What most of us think of when we think ZBS, are the stretch plays, left & right, & of course the cut block. But we've been running alot of Zone Middle.... which looks like straight man blocking....... & we haven't been cut-blocking. IMHO, cut-blocking is a last resort kind of thing. When you know you can't beat your man(your responsibility), you throw your body out there, and get what ever. But since our guys are bigger than the typical Denver Lineman, we shouldn't have to rely so much on the cutblock, and run the ZBS more like they do it in Washington, & Atlanta.

Tennessee also runs pretty good Zone Blocking... without the cut-block.