PDA

View Full Version : NFL Whispers re TEXANS

Texian
01-09-2007, 07:54 PM
There's a sense the Texans, who spent the No. 1 pick on DE Mario Williams and signed DE Anthony Weaver to a lucrative deal last offseason, will nonetheless be looking to address the defensive line early in this April's draft. The Texans could be compelled to draft a defensive tackle on the draft's first day; 2005 first-rounder Travis Johnson has been a major disappointment inside. Also, the team could look to add another pass rusher. Antwan Peek is an unrestricted free agent, and he may not be re-signed.

no link, ESPN Insiders

tulexan
01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
I can see them drafting a pass rusher before a DT and moving Weaver inside.

TexanFan881
01-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I'd rather see us get an OLB or DB with our first pick rather than DL. Quite honestly, I'd be pretty mad to see us go DL again. There are bigger needs.

hollywood_texan
01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
It seems to me that if you can't evaluate Carr because he doesn't have the talent around him, that should be priority #1! Left Tackle and RB seem to be the top spots to fill.

If the Texans can start scoring some serious points, that will really help out the defensive side of the ball.

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I'd rather see us get an OLB or DB with our first pick rather than DL. Quite honestly, I'd be pretty mad to see us go DL again. There are bigger needs.

I'd rather see us get DT or DB than OLB in the first (unless of course its patrick willis w/ a trade down). More quality OLB in 2nd and 3rd rounds than some of the other positions.

cred
01-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Willis is an inside LB, and with Demeco is absolitley not a need

BattleRedToro
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Willis is an inside LB, and with Demeco is absolitley not a need

Willis is capable of playing both ILB and OLB as he has shown in college, by playing both at different times in his college career.

chjoak
01-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Why does everyone say we shouldn't draft D-Line? I know we drafted D-Line in the last few drafts but the D-Linemen taken by Cass were obviously bad picks. I also realize we have other holes but how many wins would we have had this year if the D-Line could get more pressure on the QB or if Carr had less pressure on him.

Its been said before, but if we can win the trenches we will give ourselves a much better chance to win the game. A great RB or QB does no good if the O-Line sucks and the secondary will always look better if the D-Line is putting constant pressure on the QB.

TheTim5125
01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
While O-line remains our biggest problem i think we go after a DB. I'm thinking safety seeing as there are quite a few good ones out there... Landry LSU Nelson Florida.. theres a few others but i think safety is a big issue.

quicksilver
01-09-2007, 10:52 PM
The quoted report suggests the Texan's pick a DL the first day. It does not say we go DL the first round.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the play of the DTs Rick Smith picked up as our starting DTs went down to injury. Not too shabby for bandaids. How much upside do Maddox and Thomas Johnson have?

J-Storm
01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
With all the Carr threads there has been most of the season you would think a good majority of peole here would place his spot as priority but I digress...

Back on topic, I have no problem adding to the D-Line again. If it helps us out in any way that improves us compared to this year then Hell, go for it I say. Not saying that TJ is a bust but obv he isn't what the previous regime thought he'd be...

In saying that though, I also agree with the idea of some board members here that we could/should go DB. We apparently need a bit o' help there as well (where don't we need it atm?) so if that's the path we/they (FO) need to take then so be it as well...

Then there is still the O-Line issue! Ack, it just never ends with this football club it seems. That is no gaurantee that the Offense n' Carr himself will improve n' make that next step up so who knows... *shrugs*...

utahmark
01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
inside out. fine by me.

Wharton
01-09-2007, 11:52 PM
It wouldn't suprise me a bit to see us go defense 1 & 2 this year. Supposedly, the draft is very heavy in S this year and it would be a good idea to get a big DT on the line to keep the guards off of and to protect Ryans. Problem is the best DT (Allan Branch) will be gone by the 8th pick.

With the exception Branch, most of the DTs are in the 6' - 6'2" range, weighing in at 300 lbs. While there are plenty of good DTs (Sapp for one) at this size, its a little on the small side.

I'm not really sure why we gave Weaver the contract we did, he's old and tired.

I've often wondered if Mario would be better suited at DT. Supposedly, there are a few good pass rushing DE in this draft. Anyway, it could get interesting.

I'd like to see us trade down and pick up a S with the first pick, then take DT/DE with the second pick. You could actually go either way with this one. Trade down and take DT/DE then go S in the second.

Anyway, the thing we need most are picks. Lots and lots of picks. Think shotgun, not rifle.

Zac
01-10-2007, 12:41 AM
I've heard that this draft has a lot of good cornerbacks. And that is one of the reason that Corner back isn't the most pressing need.

dbspi
01-10-2007, 02:26 AM
FS is not the only need in the secondary, we need another CB just as bad. In fact CB is more pressing need then FS in round 1. Good FS can found in letter rounds but not good CB.

threetoedpete
01-10-2007, 05:27 AM
I can see them drafting a pass rusher before a DT and moving Weaver inside.

You keep posting that. And I keep posting that to expose one of your blue chip d-lineman to exsessive banging inside is not a wise thing to do. The rotation is working. What is not working is there is no explosive pressure from the DT position, nor is there any simbalance of pass rush pressure when we only bring four. Weaver isn't going to do anything inside to change that in a four-three defense. They already have trouble stuffing the run. As bad as Petie is, the DT is an acute problem. The line backers can't get there on a blitz. And the DTs can't stop the run. Not good my friend. You get a speed guy being pushed up the field ...adds absolutly nothing to this defense. Waisted pick. Might as well Draft All Day and watch eight & nine in the box all season.

threetoedpete
01-10-2007, 05:35 AM
It wouldn't suprise me a bit to see us go defense 1 & 2 this year. Supposedly, the draft is very heavy in S this year and it would be a good idea to get a big DT on the line to keep the guards off of and to protect Ryans. Problem is the best DT (Allan Branch) will be gone by the 8th pick.

With the exception Branch, most of the DTs are in the 6' - 6'2" range, weighing in at 300 lbs. While there are plenty of good DTs (Sapp for one) at this size, its a little on the small side.

I've often wondered if Mario would be better suited at DT. Supposedly, there are a few good pass rushing DE in this draft. Anyway, it could get interesting.

When you want to move an elite DE prospect out of position to shore up another position...that should tell you all you need to know. DT is an acute problem. Or...Go DT stud one...take a cover corner 2, move petie to Nickle on passing downs.

whiskeyrbl
01-10-2007, 05:45 AM
I don't see us sitting still at #8 unless Joe Thomas or Alan Branch are there for that pick. With all the holes or needs if you prefer, that we have I see us trading down for a later 1st RD. pick and an extra 2nd RD'er. Even the possibility of trading the pick for a vet and an extra 2nd day pick (RD 4-7).
Either way I expect us to try to get an extra player or two out of our 1st rd pick if possible. And after last years draft I will accept whichever posisition this regime decides to address and in whatever order they do it.

eriadoc
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM

If, by "old", you mean age 26, then yeah, I can see that. He's been in the league five whole years, after all.

El Tejano
01-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't see us sitting still at #8 unless Joe Thomas or Alan Branch are there for that pick. With all the holes or needs if you prefer, that we have I see us trading down for a later 1st RD. pick and an extra 2nd RD'er. Even the possibility of trading the pick for a vet and an extra 2nd day pick (RD 4-7).
Either way I expect us to try to get an extra player or two out of our 1st rd pick if possible. And after last years draft I will accept whichever posisition this regime decides to address and in whatever order they do it.

I think you are right. I don't know about the veteran player in exchange for the pick but I can see us trading down and acquiring another 2nd pick to get that DL and OL help we need.

HoustonFrog
01-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I'll just add what I put in the individual thread out there:

I've been reading alot about us taking D-line in the draft. It may not be my first choice but if that is the route and this kid drops, I think he will be a monster. 6'6, 330. He can clog the lanes to help Mario and others get into the backfield and he is athletic enough to make plays himself. Strong kid. Just my opinion. I've seen in some mocks that he may be around that 6-8 range. I know the Browns like him but I'm just throwing it out.

If you want my overall draft impression though I think #8 is best player available whether he is the highest QB on your board, RB, DT, DB, etc.

Hulk75
01-10-2007, 11:30 AM
It seems to me that if you can't evaluate Carr because he doesn't have the talent around him, that should be priority #1! Left Tackle and RB seem to be the top spots to fill.

If the Texans can start scoring some serious points, that will really help out the defensive side of the ball.

RIGHT ON, I f we spend any picks on DLineman in the 1st 3 rds, I will vommit in my mouth and kick my dog, NO DEFENSE IN 1st 3 rds!

FA Dline and Defense fine! But lets get some young Offense Blood in here in the draft.

Double Barrel
01-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Probably for his veteran leadership as much as anything else. McNair admitted that one of their big mistakes was getting rid of all the vets, because there was nobody teaching the young guys the ropes. With Mario, TJ, and Babin all still pretty young, they needed someone to come in and show 'em how it's done.

Anyway, the thing we need most are picks. Lots and lots of picks. Think shotgun, not rifle.

I agree, draft best player available. We have so many holes and needs that we don't want to make the mistake of over-evaluating a player just because we want a specific position. Very few spots on this team are 'for certain' write-ins, so we really can't go wrong with a BPA approach to the draft.

I'd have no problem 'drafting ugly', because defensive and offensive linemen are the ones that set the tone for games. If we consistently dominate the trenches, we will have a winning record.

eriadoc
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Weaver is 26. Just thought I'd reiterate that. He's the same age as Babin, a year younger than Peek, and two years younger than Greenwood.

TheOgre
01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Weaver is 26. Just thought I'd reiterate that. He's the same age as Babin, a year younger than Peek, and two years younger than Greenwood.

I guess the majority of our team is "old".

Chance_C
01-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm not really sure why we gave Weaver the contract we did, he's old and tired

Well I've already copied and pasted the quote, so I will reiterate what everyone else has already said. Weaver is not old. Weaver needs to be on the end with an Alan Branch type interior dlineman. I guess that would leave TJ on the line which I really don't like.

RIGHT ON, I f we spend any picks on DLineman in the 1st 3 rds, I will vommit in my mouth and kick my dog, NO DEFENSE IN 1st 3 rds!

Come on Hulk, let's get some FA offensive lineman to protect DC and get a couple of young stud defensive players. I don't know about the possibilities of FA offensive lineman, but I'm about ready to put some serious meat on the OL. I'm tired of projects.

Blu
01-10-2007, 01:07 PM
a stout DT would be great for the Defence, not to mention a Ronnie Lott type FS.
I'm all for it if "he" doesn't end up like Travis Johnson..:stirpot:

Oline help is a need ,but I think Rick Smith will address the protection thru FA.

rafterticket
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM

FA Dline and Defense fine! But lets get some young Offense Blood in here in the draft.

My sentiments have been to build the defense throught the draft, and build the offense through FA. 1 CB, another DE and one safety could make an enormous improvement in our defense. The defense is not really fine - we need an AWESOME defense!

A couple of good linemen FA additions could go miles.

My draft sentiments are completely blown if Adrian Peterson is available at #8. Draft Peterson, then we go to my plan above.

phan1
01-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm not against going DL early in the draft if the player warrants such a high pick. But it's VERY dissappointing on how much time and money we put into this Dling and still have yet to form a Dline that's even in the top half of the league. It's like no matter what we do, our Oling and Dline are always a huge mess.

HOU-TEX
01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm not against going DL early in the draft if the player warrants such a high pick. But it's VERY dissappointing on how much time and money we put into this Dling and still have yet to form a Dline that's even in the top half of the league. It's like no matter what we do, our Oling and Dline are always a huge mess.

Yeah, but wouldn't you agree that Kubiak & Co. showed signs of wanting to improve both lines? IMO, by drafting Mario, Spencer, Winston and bringing in Weaver among others has me optimistic about this years offseason. Having said that I truely think if a Dlineman of interest is still available come our pick, we'll get him. :)

Trenches
01-10-2007, 03:41 PM

you can thank Capers and Casserly for that. IMO, you can forget about what we've drafted in the past. there isnt much on either line that was left over from those boobs that should be around in the next year or two. just pray that Smith and Kubiak continue to have success drafting.

TheOgre
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
My feeling is that this team is AT LEAST another 2 years (2008) from being a serious contender in the playoffs. We should go for the BPA in one of our many need areas (DE, DT, OLB, CB, FS, RB, QB, OLT). However, I hope it is in one of the areas that is more difficult to find after the first round (OLT, QB, DE, CB) unless the guy is a real difference maker (Sean Taylor, Henderson/Stroud, etc.).

old football fan
01-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I think that the texans will get a Lof and a CB in FA. That means DL in the draft along with a RB and then draft for depth. But until FA actually starts we are all just spitting into the wind.