View Full Version : If I was GM!

aggieNzona
01-07-2007, 01:39 PM
:stirpot:
I would sign UFA's
QB Damon Huard KC, to push Carr if Carr traded he can start
RB Ahmon Green -GB or Marcel Ship - AZ
LB London Fletcher - Bills
I also woulds sign 1 vet at OL, DL and DB not a big name just a veteran.
Draft trade down for two first round picks.
1a - Ted Guinn Jr
1b - A DB maybe one of the Texas boys
Later rounds focus on Defense wouldn't mind 1 mid tolate rounder on a QB project.

Trap_Star
01-07-2007, 01:43 PM
You just opened Pandora's box....

Carr Bombed
01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
we are not going to be able to trade down for two first rounders and Ted Ginn is not the reciever he's cracked out to be, he has the same numbers as the #2 option on that team................I would rather have Bowe out of LSU who would come a hellava lot cheaper and a hellava lot lower, the guy is going to be a steal.

baba ganoush
01-07-2007, 01:55 PM
well if i was GM, i would do this...

in FA...

sign OG Eric Steinbach - Bengals
the best DB that we can get
and solid players that can fight for starting positions at DL, LB

in the draft...
Alan Branch or LaRon Landry with the 8th
Rufus Alexander or Kevin Kolb with the 40th

coachdent
01-07-2007, 02:45 PM

in FA...

in the draft...
Kolb at 40th is a tad bit too high IMO. 3rd round would be as high as I would go with him. Other issues to be addressed before drafting a project at #2.

the wonger need food
01-07-2007, 03:20 PM
I would sign UFA's

We already have a pretty good MLB. We need help at SLB. Now go find us one...

cadahnic
01-07-2007, 04:56 PM
I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr
Later rounds focus on Defense wouldn't mind 1 mid tolate rounder on a QB project.

That's possibly the worst plan I've heard so far.

kiwitexansfan
01-07-2007, 06:28 PM
That's possibly the worst plan I've heard so far.

I was thinking the exact same thing... I was just looking to see if I was the only one who is really glad that aggieNzona isn't GM.

I don't think I agree with a single move there.

skillz24
01-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr

And then we would end up being 0-16 the year you were hired.

skillz24
01-07-2007, 06:49 PM

in FA...

in the draft...

we don't have the 40th in round two...

skillz24
01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
there several things wrong with this thread...first trading down in the first round, i am all in favor for this, but to make it happen we are gonna have to trade with NE who is the only team with two first round picks. To even begin to get them interested in looking at this offer we would have to offer our 5th and 6th rounders along with it to make the equation come out in their favor. Usually their trade values means they want an extra 200 points in value for them to negotiate. Which would require our more picks...not wasted talent and cap burden. second fletcher is too old and is slowing. third steinbach won't sign here in houston unless we unload big money on him i.e. 10.5 mill+...and with our cap issues at the moment i don't see us cripling the franchise for a lineman when we could find a suitable substitute in the draft.

in terms of this thread you are the weakest link...goodbye

utahmark
01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
there several things wrong with this thread...first trading down in the first round, i am all in favor for this, but to make it happen we are gonna have to trade with NE who is the only team with two first round picks. To even begin to get them interested in looking at this offer we would have to offer our 5th and 6th rounders along with it to make the equation come out in their favor. Usually their trade values means they want an extra 200 points in value for them to negotiate. Which would require our more picks...not wasted talent and cap burden. second fletcher is too old and is slowing. third steinbach won't sign here in houston unless we unload big money on him i.e. 10.5 mill+...and with our cap issues at the moment i don't see us cripling the franchise for a lineman when we could find a suitable substitute in the draft.

in terms of this thread you are the weakest link...goodbye

you know steinbach?

A Texan
01-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I would sign UFA's

Not on your life! We've been down this road for the last five years. Huard shouldn't be given the job. He would need to have to earn it by an open competition. Not saying anything about Huard either way (really don't know that much about him) Just saying we don't want to get into another situation where we crown anybody QB.

skillz24
01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
you know steinbach?

no i don't know him, but i have seen other message boards and discussions by analysts. steinbach will eithier A. resign with Cinci or B. sign with a team who has had great success and offers a competitive salary.

1. right now we have not had a .500 season yet
2. with our divison our best chances are the wild card which means 10 wins or better.
3. next years schedule is gonna be even tougher than this years as we are playing the AFC West and the NFC South along with Cleveland and Miami. Meaning we are gonna need to find some serious studs in the draft to get our defense to where it needs to be to get 10 wins or more.
4. by my count we are a solid FS, two DBs, two LBs...one as a stud starter, a DT, and a WR away from ten win contention.
5. forgot trading Dominick Williams or whatever he calls himself now away and signing Micheal Turner too.

texman8
01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Kolb at 40th is a tad bit too high IMO. 3rd round would be as high as I would go with him. Other issues to be addressed before drafting a project at #2.

I respect your opinion... Don't be surprised if Kolb goes in 2nd round depending on his showing in SEnior Bowl and at the combine. Personally, I like John Beck (BYU) or Jeff Bowe (Nevada) in later rounds. DB,OL, and LB are positions Texans need to upgrade. Hopefully, Texans make a big splash in FA...see Nate Clements.

eriadoc
01-08-2007, 03:27 AM
I respect your opinion... Don't be surprised if Kolb goes in 2nd round depending on his showing in SEnior Bowl and at the combine. Personally, I like John Beck (BYU) or Jeff Bowe (Nevada) in later rounds. DB,OL, and LB are positions Texans need to upgrade. Hopefully, Texans make a big splash in FA...see Nate Clements.

This is kind of my feeling on it as well. I think we'll see Kolb shoot up the draft boards a bit after the combine.

wolfscar
01-08-2007, 06:47 AM
I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr

Bit in bold is the only part I agree with even slightly. Huard, Green, Shipp and Fletcher would be horrible choices.

in FA...

in the draft...

Much closer to my thoughts. Although this is what I'd do:

FA...

Sign Asante Samuel or Nate Clements at CB
Sign either Lance Briggs or Cato June at WLB
Sign Kris Dielman at OG and maybe Leonard Davis at OT if he's available and his price tag's not too high (particularly if we can bring in Alex Gibbs - Davis has bags of talent and if anyone's going to bring it out...)
Sign Cory Redding at DT to shore up the D-Line. Not a huge name, but a solid player who's going to be far more productive when he's not in Detroit any more, and he shouldn't be too expensive.
Maybe sign Justin Griffiths at FB - he's a great all-rounder and he's only 25
If we want a WR#3, Kevin Curtis on a one year deal, before he loses his speed

Draft...

Round 1 - LaRon Landry, FS
Round 2 - Rufus Alexander, OLB
Round 3 onwards - best player available. Need to fill holes at OL, OL, OL, P, maybe QB if there's a steal available down the rounds somewhere.

Trades...

Clear out the offensive line. Dump half of it, keep Winston, Pitts, Weary, Spencer and maybe a few others if they look like they may be able to actually contribute in future.
Trade Travis Johnson for either a pick or someone who can actually play the DT position.
Trade Domanick Davis/Williams. I think with Dayne as our 3rd down thumper, we've got three guys with the potential to step up and be our feature back next year, provided we can get the line and its ZBS working as it should.
:twocents:

TheOgre
01-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr

If I was the owner...you would be fired!!

skillz24
01-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Bit in bold is the only part I agree with even slightly. Huard, Green, Shipp and Fletcher would be horrible choices.

Much closer to my thoughts. Although this is what I'd do:

FA...

Sign Asante Samuel or Nate Clements at CB
Sign either Lance Briggs or Cato June at WLB
Sign Kris Dielman at OG and maybe Leonard Davis at OT if he's available and his price tag's not too high (particularly if we can bring in Alex Gibbs - Davis has bags of talent and if anyone's going to bring it out...)
Sign Cory Redding at DT to shore up the D-Line. Not a huge name, but a solid player who's going to be far more productive when he's not in Detroit any more, and he shouldn't be too expensive.
Maybe sign Justin Griffiths at FB - he's a great all-rounder and he's only 25
If we want a WR#3, Kevin Curtis on a one year deal, before he loses his speed

Draft...

Round 1 - LaRon Landry, FS
Round 2 - Rufus Alexander, OLB
Round 3 onwards - best player available. Need to fill holes at OL, OL, OL, P, maybe QB if there's a steal available down the rounds somewhere.

Trades...

Clear out the offensive line. Dump half of it, keep Winston, Pitts, Weary, Spencer and maybe a few others if they look like they may be able to actually contribute in future.
Trade Travis Johnson for either a pick or someone who can actually play the DT position.
Trade Domanick Davis/Williams. I think with Dayne as our 3rd down thumper, we've got three guys with the potential to step up and be our feature back next year, provided we can get the line and its ZBS working as it should.
:twocents:

as soon as you wake up from fantasy land and realize money is an issue here, you would change your idea. After the cap hits and base salaries you would have us 30 million over the salary cap, and that doesn't even take into account signing bonuses and performance bonuses that go along throughout the season.

PapaL
01-08-2007, 03:17 PM
This thread is nothing but pure comedy.

mancunian
01-08-2007, 03:54 PM

in FA...

he'll be a ton of cash and in great demand. He might come here but he'll end up at a team with better play off/superbowl prospects than we have.

Errant Hothy
01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
The following players will not be playing for your Houston Texans next year:

Asante Samuel
Nate Clements
Lance Briggs
Cato June

Get used to it, all could get more money to play on teams closer to the SB then the Texans. So why would they come here?

TexanFanInCC
01-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I would sign UFA's
1a - Ted Guinn Jr

damon huard? *gags* ok i hope not. there is no way we are getting huard. huard is what, like 33? he has never had substansial playing time in the NFL besides this season. sure he was very good, thats not the direction we are heading in. we have a young football team. we need a young QB who can grow with the rest of this team under the new coaching. huard surely wouldnt even fit in this system.

tulexan
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I never knew Matt Millen posted on this board

The Pencil Neck
01-08-2007, 07:34 PM
I never knew Matt Millen posted on this board

This is where he gets all his best ideas.

I'm not sure exactly how to tell his best from his worst, but the best ones come from here.