PDA

View Full Version : C.C.Brown vs. Glenn Earl at SS

Hottoddie
01-06-2007, 04:17 PM
A friend at work & I, were talking about the draft & free agency this year, as it relates to the Texans. We're both on opposite sides of the QB issue, so we avoided talking about that again. Neither one of us wanted to argue with a brick wall anymore. :D

Anyway, we focused on the defensive side of the ball & more specifically, the secondary. We both agreed that we need a FS & CB. However, he stated that he believes Brown would make a better SS than Earl. While I have no strong opinions either way, I must admit a little disappointment in Earl's performance this year. Statistically, they were about the same, but Earl seemed to be rather quite on the field, while Brown seemed to always be around the ball. I believe Brown has better speed, but Earl has a little more size.

So, I ask your opinion on the subject. Do you feel Brown would be the better SS, or would Earl be? Assuming, of course, we take a FS in the draft.

t_flare
01-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I like Earl...C.C just bites on play action way too much and Earl is a better tackler

thunderkyss
01-06-2007, 04:44 PM
I like Earl...C.C just bites on play action way too much and Earl is a better tackler

Both of our safeties bite on play action.... that's why they are both better suited to SS.... they are both good tacklers... I think Glenn Earl has the edge here. If our front 7 were better against the run, then our corners, and safeties can play a little looser.

I'd be fine with playing CC at SS. but not over Earl. If we can make Earl a LB then I'd go with CC at SS.

Surely Glen Earl & Demeco at LB would make our LB corps small, and we'd quite possibly get run over by every team in the NFL. But Glenn Earl & Demeco are such good tacklers, I'd risk it.

carter08
01-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Neither make me say, "OOH. He's a supergood player". Right now Earl. But neither should be starting

yourfavoritetexan42
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Earl... he will make big plays when talent is around him. Go put some notre dame 2003-2004 tape on. You'll be impressed. Big time players make big time plays in big games. Also Earl is a better tackler and is a smarter player. I have seen CC brown get beat deep a lot... I haven't seen earl, but I haven't seen Earl make a lot of big plays yet either.

wolfscar
01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I've always maintained that both these guys are natural Strong Safeties - and I think that both of them have their plus points. I'd like to see them used as 1 and 2 on the depth chart at SS. I like CC's speed and nose for the ball carrier but Earl sure can hit hard. He just can't cover for crap.

For either of them to play well though they need to be surrounded by two good corners and a quality FS. D-Rob is fine, although I think he's a better CB2 than CB1 - we need a shutdown like Samuel or Clements at CB1 and a Landry-type player at FS who just has a natural feel for his piece of turf and how to play it.

Wouldn't it be superb if we had all of that in place for next season? And with a couple of big-time OLBs around DeMeco to solidify the front 7. I'll be very interested to see if they do try to bulk Earl up a little and give him some reps at linebacker. He'd have to be better than what we have there just now.

mexican_texan
01-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Earl, definitely. Much more of a playmaker than C.C., which isn't saying much as I only recall C.C. making one play, which was the INT versus the Browns.

imatexan
01-06-2007, 06:14 PM
C.C. for sure...you see him that last game? Thats more than Earl did.

t_flare
01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
C.C. for sure...you see him that last game? Thats more than Earl did.

???

imatexan
01-06-2007, 10:39 PM
He got an interception and picked up a fumble and did really good

mexican_texan
01-06-2007, 10:55 PM
What else has he done in the past 2 years?

DominickDavisFan76
01-06-2007, 11:32 PM
i already posted a thread exactly like this one, last season, and i believe that the fans will stick with Glenn Earl

personally i like C.C. Brown, but i know hes not better then Glenn Earl, i just dont want our starter 2 be a player that was injured because he got sucker punched.....

mexican_texan
01-06-2007, 11:47 PM
i already posted a thread exactly like this one, last season, and i believe that the fans will stick with Glenn Earl

personally i like C.C. Brown, but i know hes not better then Glenn Earl, i just dont want our starter 2 be a player that was injured because he got sucker punched.....
Hamlin would be at least a nickel back.

Let's try this again
01-06-2007, 11:55 PM
don't forget that cc is a military reserve. he could be asked to leave @ any time.

Doug
01-07-2007, 12:12 AM
I like them both but I think Earl has the edge. Man that kid can lay the wood on people.

LORK 88
01-07-2007, 12:14 AM
I give it to Earl as well becuase he seems to be the better fit at SS, but I definitely wouldn't mind competition to make sure we're starting the right guy!

threetoedpete
01-07-2007, 03:31 AM
well one thing is for sure...we're loaded at SS. To draft another one with a first round pick makes no sense to me.

If I got a vote, I move C.C. to SS and dangle Earl as trade bait for draft picks. Just me...thought I saw CC make some decent plays down the strech. Niether one is a free Saftey. So we get one of the studly CBs via free agency...does Petie get a look at FS ? Inquiring minds want to know.

AustinJB
01-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Physically, I agree that both players are pretty much the same w/ Earl having the slight advantage in the tackling department. I think Earl is a more intelligent and instinctive player than CC.

Before this season, I would have been okay w/ either at SS. However, this season has caused me to absolutely despise CC. He makes too many mistakes and has had me yelling at the tv on numerous occasions. IMO, he's been so bad this year that he's brought back memories of...dare I say it....Matt Stevens.

The ONLY way that I would be okay w/ him at SS is if we sign a good FA CB, acquire a good FS, and develop Earl into a good LB.

TheOgre
01-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Personally I am not too fond of either of them. They both seem like nice backup SS's but low-end starters in the NFL. I did like the hit Earl had on Shockey though. That is definitely memorable. Both are liabilities in coverage (Earl more because of lack of speed and Brown moreso because of lack of field awareness).

We cannot have All Stars in every position, so I am content with the two of them competing for the SS spot. I really don't even care which one wins it in 2007.

V Man
01-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Earl, definitely. Much more of a playmaker than C.C., which isn't saying much as I only recall C.C. making one play, which was the INT versus the Browns.

That is what I was thinking, CC single handedly kept the Colts in their last game verses the Texans. Not saying Earl is the best, but he is solid, and Brown is too much of a liability to me.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
There are people who create plays, and there are people who have plays come to theml, CC brown just had plays come to him, right place at the right time. I have seen Earl make some plays that he just created, I have yet to see that from CC brown, and, Earl is the better overall tackler.

real
01-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Surely Glen Earl & Demeco at LB would make our LB corps small, and we'd quite possibly get run over by every team in the NFL. But Glenn Earl & Demeco are such good tacklers, I'd risk it.

That's crazy talk....

edo783
01-07-2007, 01:18 PM
That's crazy talk....

Yes, but when has that stopped 13-3 TK?:shades:

ComstockLode
01-07-2007, 02:18 PM
If the texans are going to become a playoff team, I would prefer neither.

thunderkyss
01-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes, but when has that stopped 13-3 TK?:shades:

?? :shades:

UzaHO
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Neither of them have my confidence & are both limited. Seriously, how many other teams would either of these two be starting for not named the Texans?

Hottoddie
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
There is a young player out of Oregon State that intrigues me by the name of Sabby Piscitelli. He's listed at 6'3" 225lbs. &, depending upon whom you listen to, can run the 40 in the 4.3'ish to 4.5 range. He's capable of playing the FS & SS positions. With a little luck, he might slip to us in the 4th round. Although, if his speed is in the 4.3's, he'll probably go in the 3rd round.

Anyone have any opinions on him one way or the other?

Texas_Thrill
01-08-2007, 03:15 AM
If the texans are going to become a playoff team, I would prefer neither.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is like saying do I want to die slow of poison or slitting my wrist.

I mean watching both of them in the Colts game pretty much said all that needed to be said for me. I'd keep them for ST play and depth but not starters on a team that wants to win super bowls.

Mr teX
01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Earl, b/c he's bigger & a better tackler than CC. The reason why CC made the plays he did was b/c teams were picking on him & his side. CC needs to be on special teams & nothing much beyond that.

cuzof26
01-08-2007, 10:45 AM
imatexan are u serious??...yeah yeah, we know both are liabilities in coverage, but how many times did cc bite on playaction and get beat by the long ball this year;just too many to even remember.......i (personally) wouldn't
mind seein glenn get traded but i guess they are talking about extending his contract....signing him to another year--------We need a cleanup on aisle common sense!Thank You!

TexanFanInCC
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM

that sums it up for me as well. earl makes plays when he hits people. i have noticed that CC brown is very undisciplined in coverage as he is constantly biting on play actions and misdirection plays.

real
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
At this point I'd rather have Earl there...

I think he's just a better all around ball player....

thunderkyss
01-08-2007, 07:48 PM
that sums it up for me as well. earl makes plays when he hits people. i have noticed that CC brown is very undisciplined in coverage as he is constantly biting on play actions and misdirection plays.

I here what you are saying about biting on play action. Try to understand that was early in the year, and because our Safeties have been a big part of our run defense(what were we last in the league last year??) old habits & everything. It's the same for Glenn Earl & Dunta Robinson. They have been our run defense..... they bite just as hard as CC.

I'm not arguing that CC is better than Earl. That's another argument all together.

But our secondary bites on play action. Not just CC Brown.

Snapple
01-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't really care which one starts, because I want a new SS as soon as possible. Hopefully we pick up a new safety in the off-season, either through FA or via the draft.

DocBar
01-09-2007, 03:12 PM

One "attaboy" does NOT wipeout a whole bunch of "OH****'s. It's the other way around. Our secondary as a whole needs upgrading through the draft and FA.