PDA

View Full Version : Sherman early leader in Zona

Texian
01-06-2007, 02:48 PM
POSTED 2:43 p.m. EST, January 6, 2007

SHERMAN THE EARLY LEADER IN 'ZONA

A league source tells us that Texans assistant and former Packers G.M./coach Mike Sherman is the early favorite to succeed Dennis Green as coach of the Cardinals. Sherman's biggest asset is his experience in the top jobs.

Running a close second, per the source, is Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Upcoming interviews for the Cardinals include Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow, and Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

www.profootballtalk.com

edo783
01-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I expect that Chow will be it in the end if he doesn't screw up the interview. That's supposidly his weakpoint. If not Chow, we will probably see Sherm head for the Valley of the Sun.

old football fan
01-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Sherman will be gone to one of the openings this year.

Lucky
01-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Has Frank Bush been retained by the Cards? I know Kubiak was very interested in bringing him on board last year.

t_flare
01-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I bet it will be Norm Chow from Tenn... he will coach Matt Leinart again

Second Honeymoon
01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I bet the whole playoff thing is hurting Ron Rivera's candidacy for HC jobs....similar to how the Kubiak thing went down last year. He would be my choice if I was owner.

Denver going to the AFC Championship last year, really hampered the Texan's chances at some top tier assistant coaches...thank god for Sherman coming over

GL Sherman, the OL was spotty at times but I think much more cohesive and consistent this year...especially when Flan was healthy

when your coaches start getting hired by other teams, that is a good sign you MAY be on the right path :)

Revolution
01-07-2007, 12:19 AM
I bet the whole playoff thing is hurting Ron Rivera's candidacy for HC jobs.

That is who I think Arizona will wait for and get...

threetoedpete
01-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Agreed Revolution. Apperntly there is a link between the GM at Zona and Rivera. Shermans work with our shreded o-line should get him some sniffs for sure. Don't think it'll be Arizona though. Whoever the Zona guy is...prety sweet with the draft pick. Let the franchise OLT fall to you ..pick him. Maybe WE should apply. I can roll out the balls.

Grid
01-09-2007, 08:01 PM
There are alot of cushy jobs up for grabs this season. Sherman is gonna get another shot at HC.

I think he would have alot of success in Pittsburgh personally.

U4ikrob
01-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Nod Grid -

I have a hunch that if Sherm doesnt get the Zona job - Him and 'Jerry" might be talking too. Honestly that would be really scary to see Sherman in Dallas now that I think about it.

Either way I dont see Sherman here next year - too many HC jobs open.

Arizona
Miami
Pittsburgh
Oakland
and looks like Dallas too.

TexansCM
01-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Sherman is getting a second interview.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2726984

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have trimmed their list of head coaching candidates and are bringing Mike Sherman back for a second interview on Thursday.

At least two others are expected to have second sessions, but their names were not revealed when the team announced Wednesday that Sherman would have a second interview.

The Cardinals are believed to be waiting to see what happens in Pittsburgh, where Steelers assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm are leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, and Grimm, assistant head coach-offensive line coach, are among the eight candidates who interviewed for the Arizona job, and either or both could be among the Arizona finalists.

The Cardinals met with three candidates out of town because their teams are still in the playoffs: Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach-quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

A second interview with any of those three would have to wait until their team is out of the playoffs.

Sherman, former Green Bay Packers head coach and currently assistant head coach of the Houston Texans, was in Tempe for an interview last week.

Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow was interviewed in Arizona on Monday, but there was no word that he was being brought in again.

The other who was interviewed is Clancy Pendergast, who was defensive coordinator under Dennis Green and remains under contract with Arizona. However, Pendergast's interview was believed to be as a courtesy.

Green was fired after three losing seasons with the Cardinals.

NEROtheZERO
01-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Do we get any compensation for letting Sherman leave or was he only under contract for one year?

edo783
01-10-2007, 11:44 PM
If they bring Chow back, likely him. No Chow, likely Sherman. Chow's weak point is supposed to be the interview and if he can get through it OK he would be a good one for them IMO due to his work with Lienert and he is just a good coach.

The Pencil Neck
01-11-2007, 02:42 AM
If they bring Chow back, likely him. No Chow, likely Sherman. Chow's weak point is supposed to be the interview and if he can get through it OK he would be a good one for them IMO due to his work with Lienert and he is just a good coach.

I'd heard that Chow's weak point was the interview, too. But I thought I'd heard yesterday that Chow's interview apparently went very well.

I think it's going to be Chow in Zona.

NATHANHALE
01-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I thought coaches with play off teams could not interview until the play offs were over--wasn't that a 'big' gripe on the board last year?

cadahnic
01-11-2007, 07:10 AM
The stipulation on coaches that are in the playoffs is that they cannot travel to be interviewed. I also do not think they can accept the HC job officially until thier team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Hate to lose Sherman, but to a degree it may give us a clearer identity on offense. We will strictly be using a hybrid Denver system instead of the mix of Denver and Sherman GB. He is a very good coach though and definately helped Kubes in this first year.

4Texans
01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I like Sherman, but I really hope he gets the Cardinals job. I feel like he adds alot to the Texans, but maybe too much. I want to see what Kubiak can do on his own.

houstonhurricane
01-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Profootballtalk.com just reported that Sherman got the Cardinals gig...

Lucky
01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Here's the link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

POSTED 12:39 p.m. EST, January 11, 2007

SHERMAN GETS THE CARDINALS JOB

Multiple league sources tell us that the Arizona Cardinals have selected Texans assistant Mike Sherman to be their next head coach.

More to come.

tulexan
01-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Although I think that Sherman was a good influence in the locker room and for Kubiak, I think the conflicting offensive strategies were hurting the team, so in a way I am glad that he is leaving. Now we can focus solely on zone blocking and not a hybrid of zone and man blocking.

Please Alex Gibbs, just give us one season of your time.

NEROtheZERO
01-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Congrats to Sherman. He has a lot of talent to work with on that team, here's to hoping he can turn them around.

cadahnic
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Please Alex Gibbs, just give us one season of your time.

I agree with you post other than I hope you do not want Alex Gibbs to be our OC or assistant HC. Gibbs is abrasive and quite brash. Everywere he has gone he rubs people the wrong way, but he is a great teacher of ZB scheme. I just want him as a consultant to come in once the rookies and vets are here and coach them up. 2 year deal to be a consultant for the line that is all.

tulexan
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I agree with you post other than I hope you do not want Alex Gibbs to be our OC or assistant HC. Gibbs is abrasive and quite brash. Everywere he has gone he rubs people the wrong way, but he is a great teacher of ZB scheme. I just want him as a consultant to come in once the rookies and vets are here and coach them up. 2 year deal to be a consultant for the line that is all.

That's all I want. I just want him to show us how to run the zone blocking system to perfection and then he can go on his way.

ArlingtonTexan
01-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Here's the link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

the more info later part

SHERMAN GETS THE CARDINALS JOB

Multiple league sources tell us that the Arizona Cardinals have selected Texans assistant Mike Sherman to be their next head coach. It's not known whether a contract has been finalized, but the word is that Sherman is getting the job.

We'd previously heard that the Cardinals were planning to go with an offensive coach, and that Sherman was the favorite.

The Cardinals were primarily attracted by his experience. He coached the Packers from 2000 through 2005, and also was the General Manager for several seasons.

No coach has been with the franchise for more than six seasons, and the team has won only one postseason game since the Truman administration.

Sherman is the third straight Cardinals coach having recent experience with an NFC team. His predecessor, Dennis Green, coached the Vikings for more than nine seasons, and the guy before Green, Dave McGinnis, had been the defensive coordinator in Chicago.

The Cardinals' latest string of hires doesn't include a former Lions coach, since even the Cardinals aren't that desperate

Mr. White
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill

MIXED SIGNALS FROM ‘ZONA
January 11, 2007 @ 3:29 pm Eastern by Mike Florio

In our effort to confirm that Mike Sherman is/will be the next head coach of the Cardinals, we’ve learned that, technically, the team is still interviewing candidates.

But we’ve also learned that the players generally believe that Sherman is getting the job.

And since several players were involved in the process, it’s safe to say that they know what they’re talking about on this one.

So ignore any lingering smoke and mirrors. Sherman is getting the job.

What the hell does "several players were involved in the process" mean anyway? Are the players in on the interviews? Or are these guys being smart@$$es?

Texian
01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
What the hell does "several players were involved in the process" mean anyway? Are the players in on the interviews? Or are these guys being smart@$$es?

Arizona selected 4 players who are part of the interview process. See an earlier post on Profootballtalk.com

Mr. White
01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Arizona selected 4 players who are part of the interview process. See an earlier post on Profootballtalk.com

Sounds better than the way that they've been doing it.

hadaad
01-11-2007, 06:59 PM
So, if Sherman got the job, does he go under Kubiak's "coaching tree"? If so, does he go under Shanahan's?

Texian
01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Cardinals | Sherman won't be offered job
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:25:00 -0800

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Mike Sherman will not be offered the Arizona Cardinals' head coaching position. Sherman interviewed with the team for a second time Thursday, Jan. 11.

hadaad
01-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Probably won't even get an interview in Oakland. Sherman is reported to have a mind of his own and, as such, is probably already out of favour with Al Davis.

Mr. White
01-11-2007, 07:48 PM

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Mike Sherman will not be offered the Arizona Cardinals' head coaching position. Sherman interviewed with the team for a second time Thursday, Jan. 11.

Not sure that I buy that. I think it's a smokescreen.

Feel free to check for yourselves. (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sec=3)

Other candidiates were probably gonna start bailing on their interviews because of the PFT report. PFT's down right now, too...go figure......

dbspi
01-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Multiple league sources tell us that the Arizona Cardinals have selected Texans assistant Mike Sherman to be their next head coach. It's not known whether a contract has been finalized, but the word is that Sherman is getting the job.

We'd previously heard that the Cardinals were planning to go with an offensive coach, and that Sherman was the favorite.

The Cardinals were primarily attracted by his experience. He coached the Packers from 2000 through 2005, and also was the General Manager for several seasons.

No coach has been with the franchise for more than six seasons, and the team has won only one post season game since the Truman administration.

Sherman is the third straight Cardinals coach having recent experience with an NFC team. His predecessor, Dennis Green, coached the Vikings for more than nine seasons, and the guy before Green, Dave McGinnis, had been the defensive coordinator in Chicago.

The Cardinals' latest string of hires doesn't include a former Lions coach, since even the Cardinals aren't that desperate.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

dbspi
01-11-2007, 09:03 PM

No coach has been with the franchise for more than six seasons, and the team has won only one postseason game since the Truman administration.

The Cardinals' latest string of hires doesn't include a former Lions coach, since even the Cardinals aren't that desperate.

TexanFan881
01-11-2007, 09:03 PM
:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

Well, I wish him the best there :thumbup

Grid
01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Good for him. I was glad to have him trying to fix our oline but I was worried our little tribe had too many chiefs.

Good luck to him there.. ive always liked the Cardinals. I hope he can do something with them.

Mr. White
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
No he isn't. (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=570291&postcount=32)

TexanFan881
01-11-2007, 09:16 PM
No he isn't. (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=570291&postcount=32)

I thought so, I was looking around and I found an article that said he was heading back to Houston now.

Grid
01-11-2007, 09:21 PM
hah.. man, I dunno how the miscommunication happened, but it sounds like Sherman just got insulted.

Mr. White
01-11-2007, 09:24 PM
hah.. man, I dunno how the miscommunication happened, but it sounds like Sherman just got insulted.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Though we freely acknowledge that we reported that Sherman was getting the job and we were wr-wr-wr-wr-mistaken, there can be no denying that players thought that Sherman was getting the gig.

And Sherman still might. The Bidwills wouldn't be Bidwills if they didn't try something cheap, like dangling a financial offer to multiple candidates and hiring the guy who says "I'll take it."

Stay tuned.

For his own good, I hope he doesn't get the job. The Bidwills have the worst name in the game for a reason.

dbspi
01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
He is too good of a coach not to get another gig but we really need him for another year or two to fix our OL.

Texans34Life
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM

ArlingtonTexan
01-11-2007, 10:24 PM
The latest from profootballtalk.com...the joy of being a site of rumormongering

POSTED 8:12 p.m. EST; UPDATED 8:25 p.m. EST, January 11, 2007

SHERMAN NOT IN THE CARDS?

We're not sure what happened on Thursday between the Cardinals and potential head coach Mike Sherman. But on a day when players on the team generally were convinced that Sherman would be hired as the team's next head coach, Sherman's second interview didn't result in an offer or an acceptance.

The East Valley Tribune reports that Sherman interviewed for a second time on Thursday, and left town without the job. Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt will be back for a second interview on Saturday, per the East Valley Tribune.

The Trib also reports that Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has been removed from consideration.

Though we freely acknowledge that we reported that Sherman was getting the job and we were wr-wr-wr-wr-mistaken, there can be no denying that players thought that Sherman was getting the gig.

And Sherman still might. The Bidwills wouldn't be Bidwills if they didn't try something cheap, like dangling a financial offer to multiple candidates and hiring the guy who says "I'll take it."

Stay tuned.

Toro
01-12-2007, 04:24 PM
The latest from profootballtalk.com...the joy of being a site of rumormongering

According to Sirius, Sherman asked for $4 million to coach the Cardinals, which led to Arizona telling him "thanks but no thanks".

Mr. White
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
CARDS WERE READY TO HIRE SHERMAN

John Czarnecki of FOXSports.com reports that the Arizona Cardinals were poised to hire Texans assistant Mike Sherman on Thursday, but that Sherman asked for a salary of $4 million per year.

Mike, the only way you're getting $4 million a year from anyone is by possessing a lottery tickets with six numbers that match the digits on the ping pong balls that get vacuumed out of the popcorn machine.

So to those of you out there who still might be chortling regarding our foot-in-doo-doo report that Sherman was getting the job, allow us to echo in this space the introductory line from our Thursday story:

"Multiple league sources tell us that the Arizona Cardinals have selected Texans assistant Mike Sherman to be their next head coach. It's not known whether a contract has been finalized, but the word is that Sherman is getting the job."

In hindsight, the report was accurate. The Cardinals did select Sherman. But he wanted too much money from the notoriously cheap Bidwills.

So thanks, Czar, for giving us a little vindication.

Actually, we weren't all that chagrined about the fact that we were wr-wr-wr-wr-erroneous. Given the server snafu from Thursday, we're simply glad that anyone can see our content, be it accurate or otherwise.

Cruuuuuuuz
01-13-2007, 04:21 AM
maybe mcnair could throw in an extra million to get rid of Sherman? as his time here as only been to cloud kubiaks judgement.

Texandiver
01-14-2007, 11:18 PM
According to Sirius, Sherman asked for $4 million to coach the Cardinals, which led to Arizona telling him "thanks but no thanks".

Whisenhut is hired as Arizona's coach. His second interview went really well...maybe he's willing to work for a lower salary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2731184

TexansSB07
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Looks like Sherman won't be with Cards, but now Steelers looking at him. Hey Dan Reeves look at how to conduct yourself with class...not just last 3 letters. Here is Mike in Chron today

"I've got a great job with the Texans, and I know we're going to win," Sherman said Sunday. "I love working for Gary (Kubiak). We've got a great owner (Bob McNair)."

NOW THAT'S CLASS!!!!!!

Texans Pride
01-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Looks like Sherman won't be with Cards, but now Steelers looking at him. Hey Dan Reeves look at how to conduct yourself with class...not just last 3 letters. Here is Mike in Chron today

"I've got a great job with the Texans, and I know we're going to win," Sherman said Sunday. "I love working for Gary (Kubiak). We've got a great owner (Bob McNair)."

NOW THAT'S CLASS!!!!!!

Schefter just reported on Total Access that the Steelers job is down to three, but Sherman's name was not one that was mentioned. . .

West Texas Texan
01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Sherman won't be interviewed by the Steelers. Russ Grimm is probably going to get the job. Whipple (QB coach) will go to Arizona with Wisenhunt as OC.

Rumor is Sherman didn't get the Arizona job when he demanded $4.5MM salary. That's a bit aggressive, don't ya'll think?

edo783
01-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Rumor is Sherman didn't get the Arizona job when he demanded $4.5MM salary. That's a bit aggressive, don't ya'll think?

Absolutly is, but if your going to have to work for the Bidwells you want some seriouse $$$$ to put up with them. Also, he might actually be pretty happy in Houston and wants good money to leave.

MorKnolle
01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Absolutly is, but if your going to have to work for the Bidwells you want some seriouse $$$$ to put up with them. Also, he might actually be pretty happy in Houston and wants good money to leave.

Aren't they notorious for being tightwads when it comes to paying coaches anyways?

eric138
01-16-2007, 08:05 AM
maybe Sherman was just using that job possibility to push Bob and Co to get rid of Carr. Maybe he didn't like the Carr's performance and felt if Bob was going to force them to keep him around then he was just going to bail to a place where he could have an offensive chance.

TexanSam
01-16-2007, 08:10 AM
maybe Sherman was just using that job possibility to push Bob and Co to get rid of Carr. Maybe he didn't like the Carr's performance and felt if Bob was going to force them to keep him around then he was just going to bail to a place where he could have an offensive chance.

I doubt that. Why would Sherman rather be an OC for the Texans instead of a head coach somewhere else?

eric138
01-16-2007, 08:11 AM
because the Texans are the best.

did you really need to ask?

edo783
01-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Aren't they notorious for being tightwads when it comes to paying coaches anyways?

They sure are and that is why they declined Sherman. They all put the best face on it, but that was the reason. Sherman over stated his value, but they are always looking for cheap.

SamuraiSword
01-17-2007, 05:10 AM

I wouldn't doubt that for a second.