PDA

View Full Version : History repeats itself

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
In the 1984 NBA Draft the Houston Rockets selected Akeem Olajuwon with the #1 pick. They left Michael Jordan to be selected by the Chicago Bulls with the #3 pick.

In the 2006 NFL Draft the Houston Texans selected Mario Williams with the #1 pick. They left Vince Young to be selected by the Tennessee Titans with the #3 pick.

I just thought it was crazy how history repeats itself.

TexanSam
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
It's way too early to say Vince is Michael Jordan. And hasn't this been said about, oh, 10000000000000000000000000 times already? If Williams turns into the NFL version of Hakeem, I'm sure we won't be disappointed. What's done is done. I say the Texans and fans should stop whining over what happened and instead focus on what they might do in the future.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Vince had the same type of hype as Michael coming out of college. That's what I really meant. Not sayin Vince is Michael. But people were upset about the Olajuwon selection.

I never read it around here and just thought about it.

I am definantely not whining... I loved Olajuwon...I am watching the Hardwood Classics DVD right now...used to be my favorite player.

If you knew me as a poster...you would know I have no problem with Mario.

This isn't a what could have been post...it is a isn't it funny post.

Scooter
01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
hakeem can be argued as well as jordan can for the best player in nba history (along with kareem, bill russel, and a short list of others). if we infact did repeat the 84 rockets' draft by taking the dominant big man instead of the offensive superstar, i for one would be ecstatic. of course it's too early to make that type of connection, but we can hope.

TexansLucky13
01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
This isn't a what could have been post...it is a isn't it funny post.

It's not that funny to me, but I guess that's just because I still hear this VY RB garbage on here and everywhere else pretty much daily.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Guys wow...chill out about the whole Vince Young, Reggie Bush thing.

It's not about comparing Vince Young and Mario Williams. I was making a comment about history. Are you guys incapable of thinking about the subject in a different way?

Or do we argue with every person who uses Vince Young and Mario Williams in the same conversation?

Trap_Star
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
If anything, Hakeem is Vince(the hometown kid). Bush is jordan with all the hype...

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:17 PM
If anything, Hakeem is Vince(the hometown kid). Bush is jordan with all the hype...

Hakeem wasn't so much hometown. I understand he played at UofH but he was not born there as Vince was.

I was more speaking about how Mario Williams is a big man that could turn into something that nobody has ever seen before...much like Olajuwon was. Olajuwon IMO was the best defensive player in basketball history. He could steal the ball from a guard and block anybodys shot.

LORK 88
01-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Why do people still do this comparison? Basketball can be influenced greatly by 1 person, while football is the greatest examle of a team sport. Crazy comparison yes, but this is comparing apples to oranges.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I never heard one person upset about the Olajuwon selection, and I am old enough I was actually alive at the time. If Mario = Olajuwon or Jordan that is excellent. Just so we don't get Mario = Bowie. Houston never got heat for passing up Jordan because they got Olajuwon. Portland still gets abuse for taking Bowie over Jordan. If Mario = Bowie, then we will also get abused for over 20 years....

From what I was told by my older family members, Hakeem was not the popular selection even though he played at UofH. I thought that Akeem was booed when selected with the first pick. They told me that people were not very happy with the pick until he played his first season with the Rockets.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Why do people still do this comparison? Basketball can be influenced greatly by 1 person, while football is the greatest examle of a team sport. Crazy comparison yes, but this is comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, you are right you cannot make the comparison the the cross of the t and the dot of the i. I was hoping some people could look at some of the similarities in the situation and share my interest.

Trap_Star
01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes, you are right you cannot make the comparison the the cross of the t and the dot of the i. I was hoping some people could look at some of the similarities in the situation and share my interest.

I see the point you're trying to make, but lets wait til their careers play out. get back at me in 10-15 years...

WillyP
01-04-2007, 09:37 PM
From what I was told by my older family members, Hakeem was not the popular selection even though he played at UofH. I thought that Akeem was booed when selected with the first pick. They told me that people were not very happy with the pick until he played his first season with the Rockets.

Your family members couldn't be more wrong. I grew up in Houston and was about thirteen when Lorenzo Charles broke my heart in the NCAA Championship Game. I'm more qualified to tell you about the Houston sports mood circa 1983-84 than your family members. Olajuwon was IMMENSELY POPULAR. He was the pick EVERYONE wanted, not Michael Jordan.

Pfft.

mexican_texan
01-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Very original, I haven't been hearing this all year.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Your family members couldn't be more wrong. I grew up in Houston and was about thirteen when Lorenzo Charles broke my heart in the NCAA Championship Game. I'm more qualified to tell you about the Houston sports mood circa 1983-84 than your family members. Olajuwon was IMMENSELY POPULAR. He was the pick EVERYONE wanted, not Michael Jordan.

Ah...I did not know this...thanks for informing me.

WillyP
01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Since we're comparing Rockets draft picks to Texans draft picks, perhaps Mario Williams is the Robert Horry of the 2006 NFL draft. I remember the loud booing and vicious lampooning of the Rockets front office when we selected lesser-known Horry over the hyped Harold Miner, who surprisingly slid down the draft board to them.

Where's Harold Miner these days?

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Very original, I haven't been hearing this all year.

That is because all you see out of the post is Vince Young = Michael Jordan ... obviously incapable of seeing it at any more depth.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Since we're comparing Rockets draft picks to Texans draft picks, perhaps Mario Williams is the Robert Horry of the 2006 NFL draft. I remember the loud booing and vicious lampooning of the Rockets front office when we selected lesser-known Horry over the hyped Harold Miner, who surprisingly slid down the draft board to them.

Where's Harold Miner these days?

I dont even know who that guy is. I went to games during the season before the first championship up until I moved from Houston 2 years ago and I remember Robert Horry being a raw player back in those days. I remember him making alot of mistakes but he would make up for it with his hustle. Although I was only...lets see...8 or 9.

WillyP
01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I dont even know who that guy is. I went to games during the season before the first championship up until I moved from Houston 2 years ago and I remember Robert Horry being a raw player back in those days. I remember him making alot of mistakes but he would make up for it with his hustle. Although I was only...lets see...8 or 9.

You don't remember Baby Jordan? That was his nickname, and the only time he ever lived up to it was when he won the Slam Dunk contest at the All Star game. He was taken by Miami right after the Rockets selected Horry. In fact, I bet your family members are mistaking that pick for the Olajuwon selection. At the time it was more talked about and criticized than the Texans selection of MW last year.

TexansSeminole
01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
You don't remember Baby Jordan? That was his nickname, and the only time he ever lived up to it was when he won the Slam Dunk contest at the All Star game. He was taken by Miami right after the Rockets selected Horry. In fact, I bet your family members are mistaking that pick for the Olajuwon selection. At the time it was more talked about and criticized than the Texans selection of MW last year.

Possibly...my dad was the one who told me about it...and that was years ago before he moved away.

hollywood_texan
01-04-2007, 10:14 PM
The similarities to Vince and Jordan will be very similar if VY can come through like Jordan did in his Pro career.

1. Both won the National Championship on basically the last play of the game putting the team on their back.
2. Both left early in their junior.
3. Both were not highly regarded because of the position issue. Back then in the NBA, big men were a lot more important than 6'-6" guard. Same with VY, he could redefine the QB position like Jordan did the guard position.
4. Both were selected third in the draft.
5. Both have a larger than life personality.

I could go on.

But it really won't mean anything until Vince dominates and holds up a few Lombardi Trophies and has games in the clutch like he did in the Rose Bowls.

Until then, this is all talk...

Personally, I think he can do it, and will do it, but it all remains to be seen.

mexican_texan
01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
That is because all you see out of the post is Vince Young = Michael Jordan ... obviously incapable of seeing it at any more depth.
Uh...nope, heard it thousands of times. Very original.

threetoedpete
01-05-2007, 01:38 AM

Pfft.

that there ia a fact. And if I remeber correctly they wanted Drexler too. But he couldn't shoot foul shots at the time to save his life.

As far as your comparison. It's only true if Vincent improves as a passer. Chow and Fischer will be long gone before Vincent ever gets his completion percentage above 55%. Going to be a whole lot of "I was wrong"s on this board in a couple of seasons. I think your tail is correct. Unforunatley, you've pined it to the wrong donkey. VY isn't MJ. And is never going to be.

SamuraiSword
01-05-2007, 03:58 AM
In the 1984 NBA Draft the Houston Rockets selected Akeem Olajuwon with the #1 pick. They left Michael Jordan to be selected by the Chicago Bulls with the #3 pick.

In the 2006 NFL Draft the Houston Texans selected Mario Williams with the #1 pick. They left Vince Young to be selected by the Tennessee Titans with the #3 pick.

Well if history is going to repeat itself then the Texans are destined to win back to back championship superbowls!!!!:yahoo: :marionaner:

Maddict5
01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
does that mean reggie bush = sam bowie?? :stirpot:

hollywood_texan
01-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Well if history is going to repeat itself then the Texans are destined to win back to back championship superbowls!!!!:yahoo: :marionaner:

Yeah, when Vince takes two years off to go play baseball or whatever...

V Man
01-05-2007, 02:41 PM
that there ia a fact. And if I remeber correctly they wanted Drexler too. But he couldn't shoot foul shots at the time to save his life.

I remember why people were upset about not taking Drexler, was because they took Rodney McCray instead. The Rockets could have won a few more championships if they had Hakeem and Drexler together from the begining.

threetoedpete
01-05-2007, 02:57 PM
I remember why people were upset about not taking Drexler, was because they took Rodney McCray instead. The Rockets could have won a few more championships if they had Hakeem and Drexler together from the begining.

Dexler could not hit the broad side of the barn with a jump shot beyond 13 feet or hit his free throws. In Hind sight, it was a bad move by the Roclets. At the time..Drexler was more than a marginal gamble. He worked himself into being one of the top fifty of the twenteth centruy. I'm sure if there were do overs..the Rockets would of taken Drexler. Every trip to the free throw line was an adventure with him. I'm not going to monday morning QB the guy who brought two world championships to Houston. Carol Dawson was a better than fair GM.

V Man
01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Dexler could not hit the broad side of the barn with a jump shot beyond 13 feet or hit his free throws. In Hind sight, it was a bad move by the Roclets. At the time..Drexler was more than a marginal gamble. He worked himself into being one of the top fifty of the twenteth centruy. I'm sure if there were do overs..the Rockets would of taken Drexler. Every trip to the free throw line was an adventure with him. I'm not going to monday morning QB the guy who brought two world championships to Houston. Carol Dawson was a better than fair GM.

I know he couldn't shoot when he came in, but he could score and that is something Rodney couldn't do.

hollywood_texan
01-05-2007, 03:15 PM

It would have been very interesting how the Bulls w/Jordan would have matched up with the Rockets in those two years.

Second Honeymoon
01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
It would have been very interesting how the Bulls w/Jordan would have matched up with the Rockets in those two years.

The Rockets owned the Bulls in those years. VMax would get in Jordans face and shut him down. The Bulls would just cakewalk through the NBA LEast while the Western Conference playoffs would be a thermonuclear war.

As for the OP topic, I think there are many parallels and if Mario is even a SHADOW of what Olajuwon was, we will be happy irregardless of how well VY does with the Titans. I am a huge fan of VY but he has a long way to go...a long way to go. He has many flaws in his game and I have had some problems with his level of professionalism but the dude is just a baller..pure and simple...Jordan was all business and professional and had the complete game...Young isnt even close to having a complete game...but he has game nonetheless

now if Mario becomes a Sam Bowie....well then we know how that worked out now, dont we?

TexansSeminole
01-05-2007, 04:38 PM
The Rockets owned the Bulls in those years. VMax would get in Jordans face and shut him down. The Bulls would just cakewalk through the NBA LEast while the Western Conference playoffs would be a thermonuclear war.

The years hollywood texan is talking about is the two years Jordan didn't play. Also the two years we won the championship.

hollywood_texan
01-05-2007, 05:23 PM

As for the OP topic, I think there are many parallels and if Mario is even a SHADOW of what Olajuwon was, we will be happy irregardless of how well VY does with the Titans. I am a huge fan of VY but he has a long way to go...a long way to go. He has many flaws in his game and I have had some problems with his level of professionalism but the dude is just a baller..pure and simple...Jordan was all business and professional and had the complete game...Young isnt even close to having a complete game...but he has game nonetheless

now if Mario becomes a Sam Bowie....well then we know how that worked out now, dont we?

Actually, I don't think anyone ever shut down Jordan. In those two years, Olajuwon was an absolute monster in the paint and wasn't going to be denied his points either.

So, it would have boiled down to role players, my opinion of course. Those two years the Rockets won the Championship, I think they probably had a better overall team outside of the top player on the team when comparing the Championship Rockets to the Championship Bulls.

It would have been two amazing series, that's for sure.

HomeBred_Texan
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Exactly... The Rockets took McCray instead of Clyde the glyde Drexler purely for his defensive skills, not offensive. The rest is history, at least they were smart enough to make a trade later down the road with Portland to bring him home with Hakeem...

This is the very first time in my life I have ever heard that anyone boo'd the Hakeem choice. If I remember correctly, we all wanted him to stay here, Phi Slamma Jamma....

Beer and Metal
01-05-2007, 06:24 PM
The years hollywood texan is talking about is the two years Jordan didn't play. Also the two years we won the championship.

Actually, the Rockets of the early '90s either swept or split wins with the Bulls with Jordan playing. And yes, Mad Maxwell kept Jordan in check pretty well.
When Vmax left the team and Jordan returned to the Bulls, it was a different story.

TexansSeminole
01-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Can someone verify this for me....I roughly remember Vernon Maxwell making a half court shot. He was almost out of bounds when he threw it...almost like he was saving it from going out of bounds.

Anybody remember anything like this happening?

Second Honeymoon
01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Can someone verify this for me....I roughly remember Vernon Maxwell making a half court shot. He was almost out of bounds when he threw it...almost like he was saving it from going out of bounds.

Anybody remember anything like this happening?

yes and in the same game Jordan and Maxwell almost came to blows. It was awesome, finally a guard was standing up to Jordan's tactics and total arrogance on the court. Jordan was Max's prison **tch....

elbison
01-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Not to turn this thread into mid 90s basketball 101......

Actually, I don't think anyone ever shut down Jordan.

Vernon Maxwell did shut Jordan down......believe it. I'm sure a more energetic fan can go get the stats for you.

The Rockets used to absolutely DOMINATE the Bulls during the regular season WITH JORDAN. The troubles were with the Suns, Jazz and Sonics.

And they overcame those troubles obviously. :yahoo:

hollywood_texan
01-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Vernon Maxwell did shut Jordan down......believe it. I'm sure a more energetic fan can go get the stats for you.

The Rockets used to absolutely DOMINATE the Bulls during the regular season WITH JORDAN. The troubles were with the Suns, Jazz and Sonics.

Vernon Maxwell, the guy that carried a Glock under his gym shorts during every game.

Just kidding, he wasn't a nice person as I recall, kind of a thug.

I don't recall Maxwell shutting Jordan down, but I do remember Maxwell as very a good basketball and a very good defensive player.

But, we are talking about a 7 games series here in the Finals. The Rockets and Bulls played twice a year in a 82 game season. Guys are going to have some up and down nights during the span of a long 82 game season, so I wouldn't say just because some guy did something in the regular season means he can pull that off in a 7 game series consistently.

That is why the playoffs are considered another season in and of itself.

Maybe Jordan could have been shut down in the playoffs, but Jordan played in many playoff games, I don't recall him every being shut down in the playoffs.

Regular season is one thing, playoffs are another.

You are definitely right though, Maxwell was a player at that time and it would have very interesting to see how that matchup would have played out.

Second Honeymoon
01-05-2007, 07:58 PM

that avatar is great. if you ever make it public let me know. i love avatar jumping occassionally...ocho stinko is played out

Texas_Heat
01-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Vince had the same type of hype as Michael coming out of college. That's what I really meant. Not sayin Vince is Michael. But people were upset about the Olajuwon selection

No one in Houston was upset about the Olajuwon selection, and it took 8 years for Jordan to become Michael Jordan

Hervoyel
01-05-2007, 10:32 PM
History repeats itself?

So does this board.

TexansSeminole
01-05-2007, 11:53 PM
No one in Houston was upset about the Olajuwon selection, and it took 8 years for Jordan to become Michael Jordan

We cleared that up earlier in the thread...you should read the whole thread. On this board people often make the mistake of commenting on things before reading the whole thread.

History repeats itself?

So does this board.

You know I am sorry but I dont read every post and every thread on the board. If this point has been put out there before that's too bad...sue me.

Hervoyel
01-06-2007, 12:16 AM
The comparison between the 2006 NFL draft and the 1984 NBA draft (with it's various scenarios where Mario is Sam Bowie and/or Vince (or Reggie) is Michael Jordan has been done since the day we took the big guy.

I had to look at my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 29th of last year when I saw this. I'll get with my lawyer and see what he thinks.

Since we're having this one over again I'll just go back and say what I thought last year. Nobody in the NFL is going to be the NFL's answer to Michael Jordan. The sports are too dissimilar for anyone to ever have that kind of effect on the game, particularly over the length of time it would take for that player to take on the kind of mystique that Jordan had.

At this point in time it's also far too soon to draw that kind of conclusion. They've just finished their rookie seasons. As so many have pointed out here on this thread (again) nobody in Portland was crying about not getting Michael Jordan at the end of the 1985 season. Nobody in Houston knew they'd passed up the chance to get the greatest player to ever suit up. If Mike blows out a knee in 1986 and becomes mortal then nobody would ever think twice about that draft. The same thing could happen here. In fact in the NFL I would imagine that it's probably more likely to happen.

mexican_texan
01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
We cleared that up earlier in the thread...you should read the whole thread. On this board people often make the mistake of commenting on things before reading the whole thread.

You know I am sorry but I dont read every post and every thread on the board. If this point has been put out there before that's too bad...sue me.
Either way, you should know that every draft I've ever known has a first and a third overall pick. All of em. All sports. So, you're right, history repeats itself.

elbison
01-06-2007, 01:03 AM
that avatar is great. if you ever make it public let me know. i love avatar jumping occassionally...ocho stinko is played out

Thanks...one dude said it was scary. LOL.....

You can rt click > save picture as. I don't know how to make it "public".

I made it in photoshop a while back and have a very high res if you need it.

Texans86
01-06-2007, 01:18 AM

On an odd sidenote, not many people realize Horry actually has as many rings as M.Jordan. I believe the shakedown is 1 here, 3 in L.A. and 2 in S.A, but I'm not positive about that. I know theres 6 between those three teams, just not sure about the ratio.

elbison
01-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Horry has 2 rings here doesn't he?

carter08
01-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Hmm
The Rockets won 2 titles with Hakeem

WillyP
01-06-2007, 02:12 PM
On an odd sidenote, not many people realize Horry actually has as many rings as M.Jordan. I believe the shakedown is 1 here, 3 in L.A. and 2 in S.A, but I'm not positive about that. I know theres 6 between those three teams, just not sure about the ratio.

Two with Houston, three with LA, and one with San Antonio.

23Dunta
01-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I haven't read Living The Dream in over ten years, but I seem to remember Dream laying out the following trade offer from the Trail Blazers before the 1984 Draft.

Houston gets:
Clyde Drexler
#2 pick

Portland gets:
Ralph Sampson

Now, his assumption was that they could have then taken Jordan at #2 overall and that the three of them could have started their careers together.

Am I alone here, or do other people remember this from the book?

Cruuuuuuuz
01-06-2007, 11:14 PM

This analogy is close but off the mark. Now if the Texans had picked VY the hometown favorite like the Rockets did in 84 and Bush was picked #3 then MAYBE these would be parallel situations...
But they arent...Williams overall was a decent pick but he'll never be a HAKEEM.
The man that brought Back to Back Championships to Houston.

Scooter
01-07-2007, 02:16 AM
This analogy is close but off the mark. Now if the Texans had picked VY the hometown favorite like the Rockets did in 84 and Bush was picked #3 then MAYBE these would be parallel situations...
But they arent...Williams overall was a decent pick but he'll never be a HAKEEM.
The man that brought Back to Back Championships to Houston.

we're talking their initial college to pro years. mario had an incredible college career despite the team's struggles (mario holds several school defensive records). and remember, mario's one of the youngest players ever (if not the youngest) to play in the NFL. mario's the raw monster on defense who, with any luck, will contribute to offensive points. wholly hakeem there. vince is the "once in a lifetime" offensive player who can win games on his own regardless of the team and re-write how the game is played. he's jordan. bush is the supremely hyped, doesnt have a position, will fizzle out bowie.

the analogy fits to date.

how you fit hakeem with vince, outside of playing college ball in the same state, is beyond me.

-Ross-
01-07-2007, 10:57 AM

:thumbup

"The nickname "Mad Max" was bestowed upon Maxwell by color commentators for his clutch three-point shooting, which reached its pinnacle in the deciding game of the 1994 NBA Finals between Houston and New York. Maxwell is among a handful of players to amass 30 points in a single quarter, accomplishing that feat on route to a 51 point outing January 26, 1991 against Cleveland.
His defense was tenacious, and he is remembered by many for having kept Michael Jordan significantly below his season scoring averages. Vernon acquried the reputation of being a feisty player. He earned a mention on the Late Show with David Letterman in 1994. Letterman asked his guest, Spike Lee, if there was a similar player on the Rockets who brandished Reggie Miller's manner, to which Spike replied, "Mad Max"."

"Michael Jordan once said that the two players that he had the hardest time scoring against was Joe Dumars and Vernon Maxwell."

Cruuuuuuuz
01-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Mad Max had Jordan's number...thas for sure. I wonder what the Rockets vs the Bulls regular season record was? It's too bad they never met each other in the Finals.

Cruuuuuuuz
01-14-2007, 12:23 AM
how you fit hakeem with vince, outside of playing college ball in the same state, is beyond me.

The FANS man. The Fans. Thas how. Hometown favorite. PHI SLAMMA JAMMA. Everybody wanted Hakeem...thas why the rockets grabbed him over Bowie and Jordan. Don't you remember?

TexanDave
01-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I haven't read Living The Dream in over ten years, but I seem to remember Dream laying out the following trade offer from the Trail Blazers before the 1984 Draft.

Houston gets:
Clyde Drexler
#2 pick

Portland gets:
Ralph Sampson

Now, his assumption was that they could have then taken Jordan at #2 overall and that the three of them could have started their careers together.

Am I alone here, or do other people remember this from the book?

I have the Dream's book and it has been awhile since I read it but I do remember him mentioning the possibility of that trade. Could you have imagined Dream, MJ and Glide on the Rockets?

Also, someone earlier mentioned the Rockets vs. Bulls. From the '90-'91 season to the '92-'93 season when the Bulls won their first 3-peat championships, the Rockets were 5-1 against the Bulls. So I believe that even if MJ hadn't retired that the Rockets could have beaten them in the Finals in 94 or 95. Mad Max was great at playing defense on MJ.

MorKnolle
01-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I have the Dream's book and it has been awhile since I read it but I do remember him mentioning the possibility of that trade. Could you have imagined Dream, MJ and Glide on the Rockets?

Also, someone earlier mentioned the Rockets vs. Bulls. From the '90-'91 season to the '92-'93 season when the Bulls won their first 3-peat championships, the Rockets were 5-1 against the Bulls. So I believe that even if MJ hadn't retired that the Rockets could have beaten them in the Finals in 94 or 95. Mad Max was great at playing defense on MJ.

I don't know if I agree with you here. The Bulls almost beat the Knicks in the playoffs without Jordan and the Knicks gave the Rockets everything they could handle, I don't know that anyone would have beaten them had Jordan stuck around. Anyways, back to the football talk.

TexanDave
01-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't know if I agree with you here. The Bulls almost beat the Knicks in the playoffs without Jordan and the Knicks gave the Rockets everything they could handle, I don't know that anyone would have beaten them had Jordan stuck around. Anyways, back to the football talk.

It's about matchups. The Bulls didn't match up as well against the Rockets.

TEXANS84
01-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Well if that's the case, the Rockets didn't win the championship until Jordan semi-retired. And by that time...Jordan had already won 4 championships.

Vinny
01-14-2007, 11:01 AM
all I know is we passed on a great player that went on to be the 2006 rookie of the year because we overvalued what we had at QB...and now we have THE key position on a football team up in the air and not settled....that's why this is still talked about....and will continue to be talked about...probably for a long time.

CyberTexan
01-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Wow enough of the Vince Young was the only selection thing, Young might have been rookie of the year but he didnt deserve it in my opinion he stole it from maurice drew , Young's game play was one of the worst in the NFL , it wasnt Vince Young's efforts or game play that won those games for them it was the thought of him being there that raised the morale of the team it gave them a fresh new outlook , Exactly like what Reggie Bush is doing for the Saints and yes we could have used that same morale boost those 2 guys are bringing those 2 teams.

AustinJB
01-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Wow enough of the Vince Young was the only selection thing, Young might have been rookie of the year but he didnt deserve it in my opinion he stole it from maurice drew , Young's game play was one of the worst in the NFL , it wasnt Vince Young's efforts or game play that won those games for them it was the thought of him being there that raised the morale of the team it gave them a fresh new outlook , Exactly like what Reggie Bush is doing for the Saints and yes we could have used that same morale boost those 2 guys are bringing those 2 teams.

Ummm...Okay?

While I can see your argument for Maurice Jones Drew, I don't agree with the statement in bold or much else from your post.

Yes, VY gave the team a morale boost and a fresh new outlook. The questions is "Why" and "How" did he make them believe. I think it's pretty obvious that the reason the team believes in him is b/c he could single-handedly take over a game and win it w/ one play or one drive.

I do understand that it is a team game, but to say that it wasn't VY's play or efforts that won SOME of the games is silly IMO. He did lead several 4th quarter comebacks, he did make a game-winning play more than a few times, he did run a 40 yd TD in overtime to beat the Texans. I have to contend that those ARE b/c of his play and efforts:shades: