PDA

View Full Version : ESPN does it again

Sco-tai
01-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I know we have all complained about the lack of respect ESPN shows the Texans. And I agree with what certain people have said that you must "EARN RESPECT" as a team. And we obviously haven't done this since 2002.

HOWEVER, it is inexcusable for them to ignore individual excellence on our team. VY is awarded OROY....AND it's the #2 story on their page. That's fine. He did a great job (imo). But RYANS is awarded DROY and it's no where to be seen!!! (at post-time, which is 11:40 CST).

UNBELIEVEABLE.

At least NFL.com has it listed.

Geeez.

:tease:

stingray
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Yahoo has both on the top sports headlines.

tulexan
01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Go to the NFL section of ESPN.com its there

powerfuldragon
01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
It's there.... just towards the bottom of the list.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/ryans.jpg

Sco-tai
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I suppose I should have been more specific.

Not the football section.

(taken from the FRONT page...and it has since been moved to the #1 story. Hahha) Just another classic example of ESPN thumbing their nose at us.

ESPNEWS Headlines
Young runaway winner for AP's top offensive rookie
Injured Harrison to miss Patriots-Jets playoff game
Louisville puts Orange Bowl squeeze on W. Forest
Iverson rips Sixers; ejected in loss | Daily Dime
Rooneys give Cowher a week to make up mind
Kansas City rolls out welcome mat for Pens owners
Broncos coach, players mourn Williams | Motion
Nowitzki's big night leads Mavs to 11th straight win
Arrest made in stabbing deaths inside Chelios' bar
Lifelong Red Sox fan who cheered Ruth dies at 112
Scouts Inc.: What went wrong in NFC North
Law: Yankees, Red Sox reign in the offseason

More Headlines | Daily Headlines E-mail | Wire

PapaL
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Under More Headlines on the main page (link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/more?sport=gen&page=news)) and also listed on the main NFL section.

Defense is all guts and no glory.

Sco-tai
01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
It's not a DEFENSE vs. OFFENSE thing.

DROY is on the front of NFL.COM....just not ESPN

Honoring Earl 34
01-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I was thinking ... if we would have drafted VY ... would he have given us the OROY and the DROY ?

PapaL
01-03-2007, 12:54 PM
It's not a DEFENSE vs. OFFENSE thing.

DROY is on the front of NFL.COM....just not ESPN

Not sound like a donkey here; so? He got the award, there are plenty of articles on it, it's front page in some places. You think they actually sit around and say amoungst themselves "Hey screw the Texans, we're not reporting anything on them."? Chill out.

NFL.com = All about NFL.

ESPN.com = All Sports.

TheCD
01-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Don't worry about it too much. It's ESPN after all. On NFL.com Ryans is listed first and you kind of have to infer as to what the link for VY is about.

GuerillaBlack
01-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Not sound like a donkey here; so? He got the award, there are plenty of articles on it, it's front page in some places. You think they actually sit around and say amoungst themselves "Hey screw the Texans, we're not reporting anything on them."? Chill out.

NFL.com = All about NFL.

ESPN.com = All Sports.

And thats how it is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

Meco is listed right under Vince.

Stros5Texans80
01-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I was thinking ... if we would have drafted VY ... would he have given us the OROY and the DROY ?
That would have been cool but don't say that out loud here. :secret:

TheCD
01-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Heh...like I mentioned in the OROY in the NFL Discussion Forum...VY has played well this year, but he wouldn't have won it with us. We would have sat him the entire year. And yes, that includes with Carr playing so poorly.

TheRealJoker
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Funny how Vince "runs away" with the award while Ryans is merely "named" DROY. Like Vince was the one that won with 36 of 50 votes...

Texan_Bill
01-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I know we have all complained about the lack of respect ESPN shows the Texans. And I agree with what certain people have said that you must "EARN RESPECT" as a team. And we obviously haven't done this since 2002.

HOWEVER, it is inexcusable for them to ignore individual excellence on our team. VY is awarded OROY....AND it's the #2 story on their page. That's fine. He did a great job (imo). But RYANS is awarded DROY and it's no where to be seen!!! (at post-time, which is 11:40 CST).

UNBELIEVEABLE.

At least NFL.com has it listed.

Geeez.

:tease:

Au contrair..... The word you seek is "TYPICAL"

Errant Hothy
01-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Why do we still care what ESPN thinks of our team?

TexansLucky13
01-03-2007, 01:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2718595

"There seemed to be as many Titans No. 10 jerseys in Reliant Stadium as any Texans shirts."

I resent Texas for this fact. Specifically I resent the "flagship" University.

Hervoyel
01-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Just curious but wasn't DROY announced yesterday? I seem to remember seeing it here on the board yesterday, late in the afternoon. I didn't see anything about Vince Young being OROY until today. Actually it was this morning to be precise.

Isn't it just possible that nobody was plotting to disrespect the Texans and that they were just announced a day apart. that would account for the story on Ryans being further down the page than the story on Young wouldn't it?

threetoedpete
01-03-2007, 01:28 PM

"There seemed to be as many Titans No. 10 jerseys in Reliant Stadium as any Texans shirts."

Well I resent the fact for the last 100 years or so, UT and the aggs have pretty much sucked up all the royality monies. Ags have had their hands in the till with the flag ship just as long. All the other public universities got the crumbs. Be careful there kettle.

valleytexfan
01-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Not even the Chronic's page has a pic of Demeco and the story's just on the side column.

kfranco_utexas
01-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Why not?:stirpot:

Texans_Chick
01-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Actually, I didn't see too many Titans 10 jerseys. I saw a lot of Lonhorn t-shirts, but there were lots more Texans jerseys than Longhorn/Titans gear.

There is no sense letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

TexansCM
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Demeco was on the front page of ESPN this morning about the same line that he is on in the NFL section now. The Defensive award was announced earlier than the offensive one. Plus how many Defensive players ever get huge headlines, it is so much easier for ESPN and other networks to run a 10 second clip of a TD pass or run than showing a guy like Meco make a great tackle. Unless he runs back a fumble or gets on Jacked Up, highlights will be minimal for Demeco and many other great defensive players unless you are controversial like Merriman.

Texan_Bill
01-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Lucky, Your avatar ROCKS!!

And Hoth-Boy!! I really don't give a rats *** what they have to say either!! Heck, they might as well have called themselves the TO network, all season long.

RTP2110
01-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Just curious but wasn't DROY announced yesterday? I seem to remember seeing it here on the board yesterday, late in the afternoon. I didn't see anything about Vince Young being OROY until today. Actually it was this morning to be precise.

Isn't it just possible that nobody was plotting to disrespect the Texans and that they were just announced a day apart. that would account for the story on Ryans being further down the page than the story on Young wouldn't it?

Yea I think ESPN lists stories in the order they occur. Since DROY was announced yesterday it has fallen off the front page. VY will be down there tomorrow.

Texan_Bill
01-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Actually, I didn't see too many Titans 10 jerseys. I saw a lot of Lonhorn t-shirts, but there were lots more Texans jerseys than Longhorn/Titans gear.

There is no sense letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

Funny TC!!!

TheOgre
01-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Let's wait until we actually have a winning season before we beg for ESPN's approval.

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Let's wait until we actually have a winning season before we beg for ESPN's approval.

Damn straight.

Let's earn some respect.

Heywood
01-03-2007, 04:14 PM

last night, in terms of when i saw it first.

don't bother with any facts here- the victimization pabulum is in full swing.

kcwilson
01-03-2007, 07:01 PM
It was on the front page this morning in the ALL SPORTS NEWS SECTION when I got to work this morning.

Quit whining.

mexican_texan
01-03-2007, 07:23 PM

I resent that. Don't drag me in with them. Most Longhorns I know would rather have Longhorn 10 than Titan 10.

Mr. White
01-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I resent that. Don't drag me in with them. Most Longhorns I know would rather have Longhorn 10 than Titan 10.

Agreed...but some people associated with the "non-flagship university" will try to make every single post Aggies vs. Longhorns.

gg no re
01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Wait, why do we want ESPN's recognition?

GuerillaBlack
01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Wait, why do we want ESPN's recognition?

Because they are the world wide leader in sports. :tease:

axman40
01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Because they are the world wide leader in sports. :tease:
ESPN is pretty good if you are into tractor pulls,lumberjack comps, and curling!

:shades:

gg no re
01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Well... I did catch some wicked arm wrestling competitions on ESPN......

mexican_texan
01-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Agreed...but some people associated with the "non-flagship university" will try to make every single post Aggies vs. Longhorns.
I see it the other way around, especially TL13.

TexanFan881
01-04-2007, 01:14 AM
I was just watching ESPNews and it's amazing how they mention Vince Young won offensive rookie of the year, and then just go to commercial. :crazy:

Showtime100
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Well... I did catch some wicked arm wrestling competitions on ESPN......

What, no poker??? j/k

brewhaus
01-04-2007, 05:19 AM
ESPN is pretty good if you are into tractor pulls,lumberjack comps, and curling!

:shades:

Curling is pretty cool......I'd like to try it some time. Can you imagine a bar with Curling instead of Shuffleboard ?

edo783
01-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Curling is pretty cool......I'd like to try it some time. Can you imagine a bar with Curling instead of Shuffleboard ?

Probably would go over pretty good in Minte-sota, don'tcha know.

Malloy
01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Honestly I don't care what ESPN things of the Texans. For Texans news I rely on these boards and the houstontexans website, on NFL-news, it's nfl.com.
Whining and moaning about how we do not get the respect we deserve (In general, Houston seems like a city with a cronic lack of deserved respect.. funny..).

Personally, I'm not sure I want the respect of a network that shows tractor-pulling, monster-trucks and arm-wresling (sorry to all of you motor entusiasts out there).

I don't want respect, I want the other teams to fear us :)

gg no re
01-04-2007, 11:15 AM
For the record, I think arm-wrestling is a very respectable sport, OR HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF "OVER THE TOP."

Malloy
01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
For the record, I think arm-wrestling is a very respectable sport, OR HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF "OVER THE TOP."

I knew it was a mistake only to mention the motor-heads ;)

Texan_Bill
01-04-2007, 11:57 AM

LOL.... The all-proving evidence that arm-wrastlin' is a sport.... Did Sly get the nod for the Academy for his convincing performance?

hobie
01-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Did Sly get the nod for the Academy for his convincing performance?

No, he did not for Over the Top, but he did get a Golden Globe nomination for Stop, or my mom will shoot ! and a People's Choice nod for the movie he did with Dolly Parton, Rhinestone .. : )

Second Honeymoon
01-04-2007, 12:12 PM

why dont you focus more on actually winning bowl games and not being embarassing to the conference. you win a game against The University Of Texas and you act like you aren't an embarassment anymore. All that win did was buy more years of Fransanity...congratulations...you lose.

oh, its really surprising that an Aggie is also a Carr homer....commitment to mediocrity indeed.

oh and as for the original topic, I can't believe how half of Houston has some sort of penile envy in regards to ESPN. ESPN doesn't hate Houston. It's just you guys have such a Napoleonic complex that you think the smallest thing is some sort of disrespect of the city. It's laughable and a joke....but hardly surprising from the same lot that has championed Carr as anything more than total garbage at QB.

ESPN doesnt hate Houston. Get over it losers.

hobie
01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
ESPN doesnt hate Houston. Get over it losers

Wow, I guess you told them !!

gg no re
01-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I thought a Napoleonic complex was where to make up for being small in something, you act all big.

Given our population size, economy, and waistlines, I fail to see how Houston can have a Napoleonic complex. :P