PDA

View Full Version : UFA from the Texans

brewhaus
01-03-2007, 08:08 AM
.......A handful of veterans left the stadium in limbo, however, as did a number of unrestricted free agents such as running back Ron Dayne, defensive linemen Antwan Peek and N.D. Kalu, punter Chad Stanley, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and tight end Mark Bruener.

From the list of players here, who will stay and who will go?
Anyone have a thought on this?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4438323.html

TEXANS84
01-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Keep Dayne, Salaam, Peek, and Kalu.

Bruener and Stanley's days are over.

A Texan
01-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Dayne probably will want to stay judging from comments that he has made. None of the others will be in high demand by other clubs so it probably depends on whether the Texans want to keep them.

Overalls
01-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Keep Dayne, Salaam, Peek, and Kalu.

Bruener and Stanley's days are over.

I agree.

DayneBum
01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd say let Dayne go too.

And why'd you say that. Do you have a explanation for your reasoning. He's been the brightest spot in the backfeild this year. please explain why they should let him go?:confused:

Cincinnatikid
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Dayne probably will want to stay judging from comments that he has made. None of the others will be in high demand by other clubs so it probably depends on whether the Texans want to keep them.

Peek is gone. If the coach of NE wants you, then so will others.

El Tejano
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I say Dayne, Salaam, and Kalu.

Iffy on Peek because he gets injured and still hasn't produced even as much as Babin and that aint saying much.

The others can go.

rafterticket
01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd say let Dayne go too.

No way! He should be force-fed and tied to the weight bench. Fatten him up and make him play left tackle.

Crazyhorse
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
The way Brunner player at the end of the season and the quality of leadership he brings to the team make him a keeper in my mind.

Scooter
01-03-2007, 01:14 PM
dayne & kalu are deffinate keepers. no way i'd even look at salaam, and very little chance i'd look at bruener. peek i'd offer a minimum contract and accept whatever happens.

threetoedpete
01-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Salaam is my swing tackle for as long as he wants the job.

Scooter
01-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Salaam is my swing tackle for as long as he wants the job.

i'd give that job to winston.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Salaam has got to go, his knees are bad, and he is the reason why Carr was sacked so many times and the reason why their was a big pass rush, look at Carrs stats, they reflect on when Salaam started.

Bruener, keep him with minimal contract, he is a good veteran, and we need a lot of veterans with this young team we have.

Dayne keep him, he is a good powerback and he has a whole lot more potential, if you don't believe me, look at whos the top of the list on all time rushing leaders in the ncaa.

Peek I love as a player and I really feel he deserves a chance at a starting spot on this team. I would love to try him out at outside linebacker, have him work on his speed and agility over this offseason and try him out during training camp and preseason. He has raw talent and makes tackles.

ND Kalu is a decent defensive end we can keep as a reserve.

Chad Stanley get rid of him.

GuerillaBlack
01-03-2007, 02:12 PM
When does Free Agent Signing start?

brewhaus
01-03-2007, 03:36 PM

According to this article, in April.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2674183

coachdent
01-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Bruener is dead weight and taking up a roster spot. Leadership in the locker room coming from a 34 year old tight end with nine catches over the season is extremely overrated.

We can get Free agent leaders.

Peek and Stanley can also be shown the door.

...And of course Mr. Cook should not be allowed back into the facility. If he is wearing our uniform next year, I will personally drive down there on the first day of camp and drive my car over him one hundred and seventeen times! One for each time I threw up this year watching him on the field.

Texans_Chick
01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Depends on $$$.

I am guessing they would want to keep Dayne if you look at Denver's history any. They typically like at least one experienced guy because they don't trust rookies to hold onto the ball.

Texanfan4ever
01-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Bruener is dead weight and taking up a roster spot. Leadership in the locker room coming from a 34 year old tight end with nine catches over the season is extremely overrated.

We can get Free agent leaders.

Peek and Stanley can also be shown the door.

...And of course Mr. Cook should not be allowed back into the facility. If he is wearing our uniform next year, I will personally drive down there on the first day of camp and drive my car over him one hundred and seventeen times! One for each time I threw up this year watching him on the field.

Nice. It's responses like yours that make this board so great.

cap1
01-03-2007, 11:54 PM

http://www.nflpa.org/NewsAndEvents/ImportantDates.aspx

MARCH 2007

March 2, Friday

Free Agency period begins (see p. 96 for explanation of free agent categories).
Trading period begins for 2007

TexanSam
01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
I would keep Salaam, but only as a 3rd stringer. He had quality games as our LT early and in the middle of the season, but since he was basically our LT for 14 1/2 games (Spencer got hurt in week 2) he showed he doesn't have the stamina to play an entire season. Keep Dayne and Kalu. I'm iffy about Peek. I think he's overrated myself. Sign him to the minimum. Stanley can go.

YellerLotYeller
01-04-2007, 12:42 AM
We've got to keep Dayne as a power back. He punished quite a few defenses this year and will be a nice compliment to Taylor or Lundy.

Texans Horror
01-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Regardless of whether the Texans draft a Running Back, they will keep Dayne. The man produced well when not injured, so he will at least be given a shot.

Salaam should be cut, but I think Coach K feels too much loyalty to the guy. Salaam should not have been made the starter, but was, and the Texans, and Carr, suffered greatly for it. I remember in particular the game at Tennessee when Salaam (and Weigert) killed Carr with lack of protection. This has to be fixed. I think Kubes feels Spencer and Winston are the answer, but one thing is for certain: Salaam wasn't.

Cincinnatikid
01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I think the other problem people do not look at is these players abilities to choose where they play. The texans will have to pay a little extra to keep players from going to better teams. If a player is going to get the same pay from the texans as they would from NE, Indy, Philly, etc. they are going to go to the winning franchise in a second.

thunderkyss
01-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Considering we only threw the ball to him 9 times, I'd say he did what he was supposed to do. He's one of the better blocking tightends in the league with soft hands. He stays.

I would keep Salaam, but only as a 3rd stringer. He had quality games as our LT early and in the middle of the season, but since he was basically our LT for 14 1/2 games (Spencer got hurt in week 2) he showed he doesn't have the stamina to play an entire season. Keep Dayne and Kalu. I'm iffy about Peek. I think he's overrated myself. Sign him to the minimum. Stanley can go.

Ephraim Salaam was never supposed to play 14 games. I think he did an outstanding job, and deserves more respect from you & me. I also believe he will be here next year..... we won't expect him to play 14 games again... but if we need him for 13 I think we'll be okay.

If you can find a backup LT that will dominate anyone you put in front of him.... fine, let's get that guy in here. heck, let's get two of those guys in here.

But just something to ponder... Dwight Freeney got a goose egg both times he went up against Mr. Salaam. Sure he got a nice lick on David. (but I don't think that was his fault), but for the rest of the game, he got nothing.

trutexan02
01-04-2007, 12:57 PM
I think the team will keep Dayne, Kalu, and Salaam.

I hope the let Peek go cuz he is too good to be riding the bench behind Babin.
He deserves a real chance to be starter somewhere else.

I think Bruener and Stanley are finished here too.

Insideop
01-04-2007, 12:59 PM
dayne & kalu are deffinate keepers. no way i'd even look at salaam, and very little chance i'd look at bruener. peek i'd offer a minimum contract and accept whatever happens.

I agree with you Scooter on Dayne and Kalu, but I think we are going to have to keep Salaam too. I know he is not the answer at LT, and as TK said he was never ment to start 14 games, but with the situation with Spencer, and the draft and FA being weak on LT's, I don't think we have much choice but to sign him. There is alot of time between now and April and alot could change between now and then, but as of this point in time I think we have to keep him. JMHO!

thunderkyss
01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I agree with you Scooter on Dayne and Kalu, but I think we are going to have to keep Salaam too. I know he is not the answer at LT, and as TK said he was never ment to start 14 games, but with the situation with Spencer, and the draft and FA being weak on LT's, I don't think we have much choice but to sign him. There is alot of time between now and April and alot could change between now and then, but as of this point in time I think we have to keep him. JMHO!

My point is I can't imagine finding a better backup at LT.. Starting so many games may have hurt his effectiveness, but If we were five games into the season and whoever our starter is goes down for two or three games, I think Salaam can come in and fill the bill.

I'm not talking about giving him a lot of money.... I'm not talking about projecting him as a starter.

I don't see us starting another Rookie at LT..... If we draft another LT, Spencer will most likely start..... Winston would be moved to LT if Spencer can't handle it..... then the rookie might get in there before Salaam has to.

He's a back-up.... he's level headed.... he's a leader.... he's loyal to our coach........ he's an old salty dog.... we need him.

Insideop
01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
My point is I can't imagine finding a better backup at LT.. Starting so many games may have hurt his effectiveness, but If we were five games into the season and whoever our starter is goes down for two or three games, I think Salaam can come in and fill the bill.

I'm not talking about giving him a lot of money.... I'm not talking about projecting him as a starter.

I don't see us starting another Rookie at LT..... If we draft another LT, Spencer will most likely start..... Winston would be moved to LT if Spencer can't handle it..... then the rookie might get in there before Salaam has to.

He's a back-up.... he's level headed.... he's a leader.... he's loyal to our coach........ he's an old salty dog.... we need him.

I agree with everything you said here TK!

coachdent
01-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Considering we only threw the ball to him 9 times, I'd say he did what he was supposed to do. He's one of the better blocking tightends in the league with soft hands. He stays.

Not meaning to bash Bruener, but he is what he is and we are what we are. If his roster spot can be taken by a viable receiver who is going to catch 20 balls a year, then you let him go. If you can replace his adequate blocking with the tight ends you already have, you let him go. In the realm of the world of the NFL cap, you cut your deadweight and unused commodities and maximize each and every player. If you want to say that the Texans underutilized him...ok. But unless you are thinking that we need to run more of our offense through Mark, he needs to test the free agency waters.

We don't run a ton of outside zone which is where a tight end earns his paycheck from a blocking standpoint. I'd say that highlighting his "soft hands" would be a unique way of stating that he has no wheels and can't get open. Finally, and most importantly, if we are thinking of carrying Bruener on our roster and getting the ball to him MORE, then I will tell you right now that our offense is headed in an even darker direction than it did at times this year. We aren't scoring 28 points a game finding ways to get Bruener the ball five times a game. We are scoring 28 points a game if instead of 6 balls, AJ gets 8 balls a game. Instead of Moulds catching 3, he catches 6 and a third receiver who catches 25 balls and gee....I don't know... a VIABLE NFL fourth wide receiver who can take to the field on 3rd & 15 and perhaps pickup 15-20 catches over the year for 9 or so more first downs. I'm sorry I'm rambling, but early in the season especially, we had Mark Bruener on the FIELD in 3rd & 15 situations a lot.

Our fourth wide receiver options are David Anderson and Charlie Adams for crying out loud! Kevin Walter came in here and has been underutilized. As a part-time thrid receiver he only has something like 16 or so catches. Horrible. If I can upgrade my wide receivers, I can lose our third string tight end.

Remove the temptation to experience this travesty again! Get me some friggin' weapons on the offensive side of the ball. Sean Connery's words in the classic movie The Untouchables rings true with ALL of our defensive opponents that we have faced all year long,

"How do you like that? He brings a knife to a gunfight"

Of course he ultimately lets the guy go, only to be shot himself by the stinkin' whitecoat hanging out to ambush him which ultimately ruins my analogy; but you get the picture! :)

FLYmeatwad
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Wait, you mean we can get rid of Stanley, without having to take a salary cap hit? Has the day finally arrived when we are able to get him out of here? I've been watching him more over these past three years and he is not a qualfied punter by any means. The news of his contract being done seriously just brightened my day considerably.

As for the others, I'd like to keep Peek because he does have potential, but I don't think that he'll take a minimal contract.

Dayne is a must, as is Kalu. Dayne has shown that he can play very well in our offense and even though N.D. isn't great, if we just bring him in in relief we should be good.

The others I think have got to go, unless you keep Salaam for minimal money. He is not a whole season guy, he's show us that. And Breuner used to be good, but he had hardly any catches this year and from what I could tell his blocking wasn't always great. We can find a better TE. The only benefit I can see keeping him is that he can help out OD.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
01-04-2007, 03:33 PM
NOur fourth wide receiver options are David Anderson and Charlie Adams for crying out loud! Kevin Walter came in here and has been underutilized. As a part-time thrid receiver he only has something like 16 or so catches. Horrible. If I can upgrade my wide receivers, I can lose our third string tight end.

Honestly I do not think the WRs are the problem.
Texans have to either:
a. Get Carr to make better decisions and stop following 1 guy through his "progessions", or get a QB that can
b. Get that offensive line to gel as 1 unit to get better protection, or add some players that can.
c. Get a RB that can block and run and catch out of the backfield to add a dimension to the offense that did not exist this season.

Then you will be able to do 1 TE and 1RB and 3WR sets to make defenses think about where to attack.

HEY I WOULD BE WILLING TO GIVE THE TEXANS REX GROSSMAN!!!

coachdent
01-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Honestly I do not think the WRs are the problem.
Texans have to either:
a. Get Carr to make better decisions and stop following 1 guy through his "progessions", or get a QB that can
b. Get that offensive line to gel as 1 unit to get better protection, or add some players that can.
c. Get a RB that can block and run and catch out of the backfield to add a dimension to the offense that did not exist this season.

Then you will be able to do 1 TE and 1RB and 3WR sets to make defenses think about where to attack.

HEY I WOULD BE WILLING TO GIVE THE TEXANS REX GROSSMAN!!!

Wide receivers...as a whole...are not our main problem. But in the context of a discussion as to the viability of keeping an older, fading, one dimensional tight end on the roster instead of upgrading our receivers, they most certainly are a part of the discussion.

Get off the Carr thing and stay away from the offensive line. They are what they are. No one comes in and makes David Anderson and Charlie Adams a viable option at wide receiver. Walters was brought in to be a third wide receiver and they DIDN'T USE him! So you need to disagree with the coaching staff for not playing him more (which I do) and/or you need to agree with them that he is not a viable #3 receiver in the NFL. The Texans have ALREADY made this quite clear. So if Walters is not a viable #3, then how can you possibly say we are set at wideout with our two #4's?

Eric Moulds is 34 and steadily declining. He is a third receiver right now at this point in his career and would be an upgrade at #3. Kevin Walter caught 17 passes all year! Hideous. Go through the NFL and look at #2s and tell me that Eric Moulds is a better option at #2 than anyone in the NFL! Give me one. I'll save you the time...

Arnaz Battle / Antonio Bryant
Bernard Berrian
Houshmandzadeh
Peerless Price
Rod Smith
Joe Jurevicius (be careful now...he had a "rotten QB" too)
Ike Hilliard
McCardell (has had a horrible year with 34 catches)
*note: the Chargers have a dynamite 3rd WR in Vincent Jackson who is more their #2 option late in the season than McCardell)
Samie Parker
Reggie Wayne
Terry Glenn
Marty Booker
Donte' Stallworth / Reggie Brown
Michael Jenkins
Amani Toomer
Ernest Wilford / Matt Jones
Jericho Cotchery
Mike Furrey / Roy Williams
Greg Jennings
Keyshaun Johnson
Troy Brown
Randy Moss / Ronald Curry
Issac Bruce / Kevin Curtis
Mark Clayton / Derrick Mason
Antwan Randle El
Marques Colston / Devry Henderson
Deon Branch / Bobby Ingram / DJ Hackett
Santonio Holmes / Cedrick Wilson
Bobby Wade / Brandon Jones / Pacman Jones (much better crew to throw to)
Troy Williamson

All of these players blow away our #2's and #3's and fours. To say that wide receivers are not an issue is a mistake. But more to the point. You are telling me that ANY of these teams trade Mark Bruener for their player straight up? Seriously.... lol:

To begin with the words of Ricky Bobby, "...and I mean this with all due respect...." you're hitching your horse to a wagon with no wheels.