PDA

View Full Version : Mario's Plantar Fasciitis

touttail
01-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Check this out on Mario's foot injury.
More seious than I thought. You would think with foot pain it wouldn't be a big deal, until I read he couldn't hardly take the first step in the morning.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=144&topcategory=Foot

Bobby 119C

NFLforher
01-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Check this out on Mario's foot injury.
More seious than I thought. You would think with foot pain it wouldn't be a big deal, until I read he couldn't hardly take the first step in the morning.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=144&topcategory=Foot

Bobby 119C

I've had it. It's very painful.

The Pencil Neck
01-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Plantar Fasciitis is EXTREMELY painful. My wife could barely walk when she had it... and this is a woman who skiied down a mountain with a broken leg and then refused to go to the emergency room because it was her night to cook.

real
01-02-2007, 10:08 AM
I've never had it, but I always imagined it was pretty painful....And Mario being a 300 pound defensive lineman that has to push off of it every play can't make it any easier...

Roughnecks
01-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Plantar Fasciitis is EXTREMELY painful. My wife could barely walk when she had it... and this is a woman who skiied down a mountain with a broken leg and then refused to go to the emergency room because it was her night to cook.

Now that is one tuff one " sorry hun I can't go to the emergency room it is my turn to cook I will rub some dirt on it" you have to admire that.

The Pencil Neck
01-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Now that is one tuff one " sorry hun I can't go to the emergency room it is my turn to cook I will rub some dirt on it" you have to admire that.

Red heads from West Texas. What cha gonna do? :)

Of course, I sprained my ankle on a double diamond, ripped all the skin off my forehead, and had to get carted down by the ski patrol (and the ski patrol guys crashed coming to get me) and I will never hear the end of it.

Malloy
01-02-2007, 12:18 PM

She sounds completely insane! :)

houstonhurricane
01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Would she be available for passing situations next season?

Seriously, what is the length of recovery? Will he require surgery?

Tailgate
01-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Is this basically a one time thing?? Or is it something that is usually reacurring?

ATX
01-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Is this basically a one time thing?? Or is it something that is usually reacurring?

Well the article says rest is the most effective "cure" for this ailment, but also says it can be chronic if someone doesn't get rest on it. Hopefully the offseason will be enough time for Mario to heal.....it says 2-3 months of rest and some exercises will help. Surgery is a last option, so that's good.

The Pencil Neck
01-02-2007, 01:35 PM

My experience with it is that if you can rest up and let it heal, you're done with it. But that's just 1 data point and might not be representative.

CoogBull
01-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I was told by a doctor friend of mine that this type of injury is common in big guys like Mario. He said it will heal as long as he rests and gets some good shoes. He also said that weight loss can help. I doubt this will be an option. Mario is a big man and I hate to see him have to slim down if it costs him in the power department. If there is an increase in speed perhaps it might be a good thing though.

I hear it is really painful and the fact that he played through the pain is admirable. I knew a guy who played an entire high school season on a broken foot so I have seen things like this before.

Earlier in the season I heard some rumors that he had a foot injury that was career ending. Glad to hear that it will not turn out like that.

Mario is a beast.

TransplantTexan1
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
As has been posted by others, the best thing for this type of injury is rest. Pure, unencumbered rest. If Mario can take a couple of weeks and just relax, like on a beach somewhere, that would be a great way to start things. We're not talking about merely walking down a hall in your house, we're talking about not having to do seriously strenuous work, especially trying to practice and then play on Sundays.

The big things is getting this out the way in time for the next training camp, so that he can really work on his speed and technique on the NFL level.

shinerbock_girl
01-03-2007, 02:39 PM
She sounds completely insane! :)

UHHH, I'll second that!!!!!

A Texan
01-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Man, let me get this straight. You mean she broke her leg and you didn't offer to give her the night off from cooking? What kind of a husband are you?...LOL.

Double Barrel
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
My wife and father-in-law both have it, and they tell me it's extremely painful. He said surgery is an option, but the doctors advised him that rehab is around a year. I doubt Mario would even consider surgery if this is the case.

I feel for the big dude. He's had quite a year, both good and bad. Hopefully he rests the foot and it heals properly, because I know he's going to be ready to hit TC and take the league by storm in his second year.

Ibar_Harry
01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
My concern is the amount of time he spent playing after the injury was diagnoised. What I hope is they have not made a healable injury a chronic one. DD played his heart out for us and you see the end result. Sometimes being macho is not the best thing in the world.

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Man, let me get this straight. You mean she broke her leg and you didn't offer to give her the night off from cooking? What kind of a husband are you?...LOL.

"WOMAN!!! GET IN THAT KITCHEN AND MAKE ME SOME FOOD!!!"

And... uh... no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying she broke her leg and when we* told her that she didn't have to cook, she told us that there wasn't a way in hell that she wasn't cooking that night. And I'm not telling a redhead that's been drinking to dull the pain and is waving a knife around that she's not cooking.

Especially when she's a really good cook. :stirpot:

* It was a tradition for us to go skiing with some people that used to work for her. And 3 of the women, including my wife, were foodies and put a lot of time and effort into coming up with recipes that were going to knock everyone's socks off. It was her night to cook and she was going to cook come hell or high water... or a broken leg. She's got this thing about being perceived as a wimp and she thought her leg was just "a little sprained."

ArlingtonTexan
01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
My wife had the surgery a couple years before we married. She is non-athletic and recovery to normal activity was 2 months. For her, managing the pain became impossible. The mornings were the worst. More than having movement restricted by the injury, she just had no desire to try to do anything on her feet.

Tigerjag
01-04-2007, 02:06 AM
I have this too. For me, it's chronic. To keep the severe pain at bay, I do stretching exercises. When it gets bad, not only do your feet hurt, but ankles and calves too. I thought I had sprained my ankle when I was diagnosed with it.

If Mario can get enough rest, it will be much better. Then he'll have to have good arch supports in every pair of shoes he wears and do stretches every morning and night to prevent it from happening again. Weight loss does help, but that's probably not an option for him.

Mornings are very bad! But it's also painful after sitting for awhile and then getting up, no matter what time of day.

Just SCORE
01-04-2007, 10:50 AM
I have also had this. For a least a year. And it is painful - especially in the mornings. However, you can function once you loosen up. I ran 2 marathons with it and its not debilitating. Constant STRETCHING and soaking of feet in hot and then cold water finally cured it. He'll be alright as long as he's disciplined with his rehab.

Beer and Metal
01-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I've had it too. It'a a catch 22 injury. It hurts the worst when you've been off your feet for a while, even sitting down for a couple of hours. But, you need to stay off your feet to get over it.

I figured out a way to wedge my foot on the bedpost, keeping my foot stretched out (toes bent all the way back) while I slept.
I also put a box under my desk at work where I could do the same thing while sitting. A couple of months of this made it go away.