PDA

View Full Version : How about a new defensive coordinator

Football Time In Hou.
01-01-2007, 10:11 PM
I think Kubiak should bring in Frank Bush or Jim Mora Jr. has the new defensive coordinator. Kubiak want Bush as his co-coordinator when he first took the job; now that Arizona has fired their coach Bush may be available. Jim Mora Jr. was a pretty good defensive 4-3 coordinator with the 49ers before he got the head coaching job with the Falcons. What do you guys think?

Texas_Thrill
01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
I think I'd rather not. Let us let our team get some STABILITY with a system before coaching changes. We are already losing the OC. I dont want Demeco having to learn another defense.

kenneth24
01-01-2007, 10:15 PM
The defense played better as the year went on overall. Give Smith the time to be comfortable with the players and players time to be comfortable in the system with Smith.

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Smith has brought this unit together pretty well. Still a lot of holes, but he's done a good job with what he has to work with.

joedinkle
01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
No!

TexansSeminole
01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Apparently Smith brings alot of fire to the team (Kalu said he didn't think Smith was being real until he saw it for months and months). A change sounds like a bad idea to me.

TexanLen
01-01-2007, 10:34 PM
uh,...let me think...NO!!

utahmark
01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I think Kubiak should bring in Frank Bush or Jim Mora Jr. has the new defensive coordinator. Kubiak want Bush as his co-coordinator when he first took the job; now that Arizona has fired their coach Bush may be available. Jim Mora Jr. was a pretty good defensive 4-3 coordinator with the 49ers before he got the head coaching job with the Falcons. What do you guys think?

the defense is the best part of our team right now. maybe we should fix the part thats not working and leave whats working alone.

A Texan
01-01-2007, 10:40 PM
The defense was better than I expected, certainly considering that they were switching from a 3-4 and had a lot of injuries. I think I'd just stay with what we got and let them get better.

Football Time In Hou.
01-01-2007, 10:51 PM
The original plan was for Richard Smith and Frank Bush to be co-coordinators. But Dennis Green wouldn’t let Bush out of his contract. If not making them co-coordinators next year I think Kubiak should at least add him to the defensive staff.

Am I missing something? What’s so great about the Texans defense?

TexansSeminole
01-01-2007, 10:53 PM
The original plan was for Richard Smith and Frank Bush to be co-coordinators. But Dennis Green wouldn’t let Bush out of his contract. If not making them co-coordinators next year I think Kubiak should at least add him to the defensive staff.

Am I missing something? What’s so great about the Texans defense?

It's not that the Texans defense is great. Smith didn't exactly have the right guys for his system but still seemed to get them to gel in the second half of the season...all we are really missing is players...not coaches. IMO anyway.

HoustonFan
01-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I think the defense is a couple of pieces away from being solid. No need for a new DC. It's way too early for that. Hopefully this win will actually spark some good things for next season.

Hervoyel
01-01-2007, 11:13 PM
I think that this defense is very capable as-is when the offense does more than crank out a single good drive per game. Once they reached the second half of the season they did a very good job (excluding the times when they were constantly on the field and the offense was giving our opponents ridiculously short fields over and over again).

With another year and some more more help I think they'll be very, very good. Adding Frank Bush if he wants to come here could only help. Ditching Richard Smith completely at this point would be a mistake IMO.

edo783
01-01-2007, 11:19 PM
DC isn't an issue, just short a couple of players is all.

Grid
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
The only guy id bring in over Smith right now is Phillips from San Diego.

If we cant get him, then id rather stick with Smith, keep that stability, and give him a chance to build his defense.

powerfuldragon
01-02-2007, 12:39 AM
No way.

Ibar_Harry
01-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Its interesting because Kubiak has already lost his OC, one of the coaches is rumored to be going elsewhere, and Sherman is in the running for the Cardinals job. Could be a big turnover in a hurry. We lost a lot players to injuries and now we are possibly loosing a number of coaches. This does not make for a lot of stability and I don't think this is a good thing for the Texans.

TexansSeminole
01-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Its interesting because Kubiak has already lost his OC, one of the coaches is rumored to be going elsewhere, and Sherman is in the running for the Cardinals job. Could be a big turnover in a hurry. We lost a lot players to injuries and now we are possibly loosing a number of coaches. This does not make for a lot of stability and I don't think this is a good thing for the Texans.

Are you trying to say that Kubiak will not be coaching the Texans for long?

Ibar_Harry
01-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Are you trying to say that Kubiak will not be coaching the Texans for long?

What I'm saying is with all of the problems we already have we don't need any more and they are already on the horizon for whatever reason.

t_flare
01-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Smith i think did very well..

He lost Seth Payne and Travis Johnson (brought to the Texans to play a 3-4.
Other than Demco those are not his LB's and none of the secondary was his either... Mario had his foot problem.. faggins didnt play til mid season and injuires to other DT's hurt too. He had to convert Peek and Babin (3-4 passrushers) to a DE in a 4-3.

Hey I know he can do better with HIS players... just like Kubiak will do better with HIS players (O-Line and blocking system)

Texans Horror
01-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Good thoughts about the coaching staff, but I think that at least Sherman was a known loss. I don't think anyone anticipated him staying for more than a season.

the wonger need food
01-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Calhoun coached one of the worst offenses in the league. Sherman coached one of the worst offensive lines in the league. How can anything negative come from them leaving?

Hervoyel
01-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Exactly OSQ. Everyone expected Sherman to leave for another head coaching job when one was offered. It's no surprise to anybody. As for the defensive coordinator position the original post in this thread was simply making a suggestion. Nothing about it came from the Texans who seem to me to be pretty happy with the improvement shown by the defense, particularly after the losses on the defensive line.

Adding Frank Bush to the staff (or even Jim Mora Jr.) in some capacity would be a definite positive as they are both very good coaches. Bush in particular was targeted by Gary Kubiak when he was assembling his staff. If he's now available and wants to come to Houston and help Richard Smith then I think it would be a good thing and I doubt very seriously that Smith would have a problem with it.

TexanSam
01-02-2007, 12:45 PM
We don't need another defensive coordinator. Look at what Richard Smith had to work with. He had a poor secondary with only one guy who could start for another NFL team (Dunta Robinson). He had one good linebacker in Demeco. Morlon Greenwood was decent and Shantee Orr was basically non existent for most of the season. And Smith had one defensive lineman who played every game of the season, on only one good foot no less (Mario). He had defensive tackles we signed in the middle of the season that got regular playing time in Lionel Dalton and Anthony Maddox (who turned into a pretty good player). Travis Johnson got hurt. Seth Payne got hurt. We had almost no depth on any position in the defense. He did a hell of a job with what is probably one of the least talented defenses in the NFL.