PDA

View Full Version : Top Priority: How to protect the QB next season.

Imatexanfan
01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
This is a Houston Texans fansite, you know, the team that routinely leads the league in having its quarterback sacked. :lightning:

The offensive line needs a serious upgrade regardless of who the quarterback turns out to be. The line does a better job of opening holes for the running game but its not like the Texans are considered a good rushing team even with Dayne's late outburst. The Texans finished the season ranked 21st in rushing offense so its not like we have a line filled with roadgraders. :joker:

Of course injuries played a role but we still need at least two more A-List players for our line to have a chance at being good. Pass protecting this team has been the worst or nearly the worst for five years running. Its past time to invest some quality.

* Willie Anderson
* Jonathan Ogden
* Walter Jones
* Jammal Brown
* Chris Samuels

These guys are all in the Pro Bowl and all but Brown, who is making his first trip in his 2nd NFL season, are repeat Pro Bowl invitees. They are all first round draft choices. This is not to say that you cannot take offensive linemen in the later rounds and get a good player, we believe we have here getting Charles Spencer in the 3rd, but sometimes pedigree counts. The fact that most of the linemen in the Pro Bowl year in, year out are first round draft choices is not a coincidence. :yikes:

DMars87
01-01-2007, 02:21 PM
yea, but pro bowl is also about fan voting, and not many fans know the names of players drafted in later rounds... let alone lineman. I get your point but just remember that the average fan doesnt know third round lineman

Goldeagle
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
TO be fair to the O-line, no DD and Dayne was not healthy at the start.

Saying that, I totally agree, this has been our #1 problem for 5 years now and it needs to be fixed.

Sarg01
01-01-2007, 02:55 PM
It's one thing to say that the Texans need to do something about the OLine. It's quite another to offer a plan for doing so. Your comments suggest that you're calling for drafting an OLineman in the 1st.

Since no OL will be available at 8 that are generally graded at Top 10 prospects, we need to see something else.

Are you advocating trading up for Joe Thomas? If so, what is the maximum trade offer you would make to get to pick #4 (or maybe even #3). What's your backup plan if the Raiders take Thomas #1? Or perhaps you are advocating drafting someone else in the 1st?

thunderkyss
01-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I think what little bit we've seen of Spencer....... & what little bit we've seen of Winston.... I feel comfortable in Kubiak's assessment of offensive line Talent. I believe Spencer could have been just as good as D'Brick...... or any 1st round LT in the league.

So if Kubiak sees a guy he could get in the 4th..... that can play as well as Joe Thomas...... fine.

If Kubiak sees a corner in the 6th that can play like Nate Clemons..... lets do it.

In my experience...... or recollection, the draft is as much a popularity contest as anything.

Was Reggie Bush the best running back of the '06 draft?? Maybe, but by how much?? $50 million I don't think so. I'd have been thrilled to get D'angelo, Maroney, Addai, Jones-Drew......

I don't watch enough NCAA football to be able to rank every player at every position. Hopefully the Texans have folks they trust to evaluate/grade all the young talent coming out this year.

I love the Mario pick. I love the Demeco Ryans pick.... I love the Spencer, Winston, Daniels, (Moulds), Lundy, Anderson picks....

I just can't wait to see what they do in '07

edo783
01-01-2007, 03:28 PM
If your not watching the bowl game with Wisconsin in it, might want to take a look at just how good Thomas is. He has pancaked his guy 4-5 times at least and they never seem to get into the same time zone as the QB is. If only, if only.

swtbound07
01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
There have also been notable first round busts at line in recent memory. Would you be wanting to pay 50 mil to Robert Gallery right now? What about Jordan Gross? Alex Barron perhaps? The worst thing we can do in my opinion is sink MORE money into this line for little return. Joe Thomas is just the latest line flavor of the week. I think we are fine with a spencer/pitts/mckinney/weary/winston line. I think our quarterback contributes greatly to his own sack total. I think our line, given time to gel, and with better play behind it will be fine. I doubt if spencer doesn't break his leg early we are even having this conversation. Salaam is horrible, I will grant you that, but thats our only hole and we already have a great player to plug in.

Imatexanfan
01-01-2007, 06:14 PM
It doesn't matter what the line looks like. You could have 5 PRO-Bowl linemen and carr would suck just as bad. If you suck at QB, you suck at QB.

Carr sucks at QB. Deal with it.

WOW, I beg the differ my friend, way outta line.

My guess you want Carr gone, huh?!:shades:

Well I hate to bring you the bad news........he's back for '07 at least.:tease: