PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Maddox gets some love from SI

TexanSam
01-01-2007, 01:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/31/week17/3.html

Defensive Player of the Week

Anthony Maddox, DT, Houston. The second-year player from the football powerhouse of Delta State strip-sacked Cleveland quarterback Charlie Frye, recovered the fumble and ran it back 47 yards for the clinching touchdown in the third quarter of the Texans' 14-6 win over Cleveland. For the day, Maddox had nine tackles, and the Texans finished the season a respectable 3-2 in their last five games.

OzzO
01-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Bump - YEA Maddox!!! A funny line from him in the chronic (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4437167.html)...

Dunta Robinson had to practically pry the football out of Anthony Maddox's hands. The defensive tackle had just scored his first career touchdown, and Robinson wanted him to throw the ball into the stands.

Maddox wasn't gripping it for sentimental value, although no one would have blamed him if he had. After all, his 47-yard touchdown run came after he sacked Browns quarterback Charlie Frye to spawn the fumble and subsequent return that was key in the Texans' 14-6 victory over Cleveland on Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

Maddox, who was on the practice squad until Oct. 10, was gripping the ball because he didn't want to pay the $5,000 league fine.

"Everything C.C. (Brown) did (after a first-quarter interception) — he threw the ball in the stands, so I said, 'Let's keep it going,' " Robinson said. "Maddox didn't want to throw it in the stands. He was like, 'I need my money.' I said, 'Give it to me. I'll take the fine.' I took it, chucked it and made some fan happy."...

..."I ran out of gas 30 yards down the field," Maddox said. "I was thinking, 'Where can I find some energy to get in the end zone?' I thought somebody would want to tackle me, but no one wanted to. So I had to keep running. Afterward, they were all just trying to congratulate me, but I was like, 'Just let me sit down first.' "

mexican_texan
01-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Five year contract. Get it done, Rick.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Bump - YEA Maddox!!! A funny line from him in the chronic (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4437167.html)...

That to funny.

Stampede
01-01-2007, 08:10 PM
You can't help but root for a guy like Maddox. Best of luck to him. When I heard his story it kinda reminded me of an old oilers player, I think his name was Eugene Seal. Does that sound right?

TSgt.Texan
01-01-2007, 08:57 PM
You can't help but root for a guy like Maddox. Best of luck to him. When I heard his story it kinda reminded me of an old oilers player, I think his name was Eugene Seal. Does that sound right?
I remember Eugene Seal he knocked out a Redskin on a kick off once.

TEXANRED
01-01-2007, 09:01 PM

I thought it was Montgomery. But I could be wrong. That was the good ole days with Buddy Ryan as our D coordinator.

Tulip
01-01-2007, 09:41 PM
That's great to see Maddox getting some love from the national media.

And great quotes from the man of the hour.

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 09:52 PM
95 was in the backfield causing havoc all day. He has definitely earned a spot on this roster for next year.