PDA

View Full Version : Texan Field Conditions

Texan Gal 312
01-01-2007, 11:48 AM
This use to be a hot topic but I have really not seen anything about it this year.

It appears to me somewhere about October the field was overseeded with Rye grass to keep it green for the winter months. Ever since then the field has been exceedingly slick making the players look like Gulf Coast Texans driving on frozen highways. The slighest attempt to cut back and their feet slide right out from under them.

I first noticed this in the High School playoffs in which the field had a significant impact on the game. There is no way to run full out one way and try to cut back, your feet go right out from under you.

The most obvious slips from yesterday were the Texans first pass (fiirst play ?) Andre fell down coming out of his cut. Don't know if you could see this on TV. Most probably just counted it as a bad pass.

The other was at the end of the game on Carr's bootleg.

There were plenty of others in between. I remember Faggins slipping badly on one of the Tennessee touchdown runs.

Anybody else notice how horrible it has been ?

Is it really necessary to overseed with Rye grass when you have a roof to protect the Bermuda from freezes and should be able to keep it acceptably green during the year ?

With the way the field has been at least one double reverse a game should have been called. Several defensive players would fall down just from trying to change directions.

DoCRoN
01-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I noticed this over the last couple of games. This is my first season w/ tickets so I don't know what it was like in previous years.

Yesterday I was looking at the field even before the game started. There were numerous "divots" all over the place!

Did you see Brown on one of our (maybe our final) kickoffs? He totally slipped and fell on his arse as he kicked it!

Nawzer
01-01-2007, 12:02 PM
The field looks horrible and it has caused noticeable problems for players and teams. Yesterday there wasn't much slipping probably because the roof was opened but there were too many players loosing their footing the last couple of weeks. They should seriously consider replacing this with something better. Not only does it look ugly and terrible but one slip can cause a game to turn. I hope they switch next year to that fake grass or whatever it is they use like in Dallas. Or get a new groundskeeper who can do a better job.

Vinny
01-01-2007, 12:08 PM
December grass is bad everywhere....I'm looking at my bad grass out the window right now. It's the season for bad grass.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 12:11 PM
The Titan's field is a complete embarassment to the league. It makes Philly's old field look like a rolling meadow.

Bud should be embarassed by the state of his field. Our field isnt the greatest but its a helluva a lot better than most non-field turf fields. I feel they should switch to Field Turf myself....

aj.
01-01-2007, 12:12 PM
The turf conditions - in terms of footing - were better at Denver and Chicago last night than they were in Houston. It's inexcusible. And yes, I've noticed.

They were slipping all over the place during the Rutgers - K State game Thursday night, and it was just as bad yesterday. Field conditions shouldn't be a factor in a stadium where the roof can be opened or closed to optimize the playing environment. There's just not enough drying this time of year. Only the extreme north end sees any sun now - and only for a few hours per day.

TexanLen
01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
It's frustrating to see a play made or not played due to a player slipping on a bad field. I would love to switch to field turf. It will make the field of play better IMO.:bananasplit: