PDA

View Full Version : McNair makes another strange comment...

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 12:00 PM
On Fox Sports Extra last night McNair was questioned about Carr's future. He answered by saying that they needed someone to replace Carr and "there are 20 quarterbacks in the league that aren't as good as David Carr." Does this include backup and practice squad guys? If he is referring to starting NFL quarterbacks he is obviously completely off his rocker.

highroller28
01-01-2007, 12:04 PM
On Fox Sports Extra last night McNair was questioned about Carr's future. He answered by saying that they needed someone to replace Carr and "there are 20 quarterbacks in the league that aren't as good as David Carr." Does this include backup and practice squad guys? If he is referring to starting NFL quarterbacks he is obviously completely off his rocker.

Look out, comments like that get you banned in this place.

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I saw a reference to that comment while I was surfing the net. My reaction was the same as yours--it's really not hard to find 20 starting QB's who are better than David.

Here is an off-the-cuff list, not necessarily in order of their relative status:

P. Manning
Brady
Brees
Palmer
McNair
Favre
Rivers
Hasselbeck
Garcia
Romo
Bulger
Pennington
Young
Leinert
Green
Cutler
Kitna
Losman
Vick
Roethlisberger

nunusguy
01-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I dunno, but we can only hope that the ole man is building Carr up to unload
him, becasue if his remark was sincere, well that's probably not a good thing.

Vinny
01-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Look out, comments like that get you banned in this place.no it wont, but making redundant arguments about the same thing in every single thread will though.

Sportsfan
01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah i don't get that comment either. Alzheimers must be setting in.
Just kidding, i like McNair, total class guy.

YoungTexanFan
01-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I saw a reference to that comment while I was surfing the net. My reaction was the same as yours--it's really not hard to find 20 starting QB's who are better than David.

Here is an off-the-cuff list, not necessarily in order of their relative status:

P. Manning
Brady
Brees
Palmer
McNair
Favre Played at the same level pretty much IMO.
Rivers
Hasselbeck
Garcia
Romo
Bulger
Pennington - his team is better, but Carr is a better QB.
Young - wow. I'll wait a few to call a rookie QB better.
Leinert - - wow. I'll wait a few to call a rookie QB better.
Green
Cutler - ha, you jest?
Kitna - umm...??
Losman - maybe if he only plays against Faggins and the Texans every week.
Vick
Roethlisberger - I don't know what happened this year, but Carr played better.

my opinions ^^^

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Just kidding, i like McNair, total class guy.

Yeah, I like him a lot too. I hope McNair was just posturing. If Kubiak and Smith conclude that Carr is not the guy for the team, I have little doubt McNair will let them get rid of Carr.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
my opinions ^^^

what a total joke....do you even watch games other than the ones Carr is in? that is an embarassing post...some people just dont get it

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 01:14 PM

MCNAIR IS A BRAINDEAD MORON

TexanSam
01-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Would you rather have Bud Adams?

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 01:20 PM
my opinions ^^^

Hi:

Completely disagree with you about Favre. Even at his advanced age, Favre is far better than Carr (all this is my opinion, of course).

Pennington has a weak arm, but is a much smarter QB who knows how to make plays. Carr has a strong arm and is a great athlete, but has no pocket presence and makes horrible decisions for a 5th year pro.
Which brings me to my next point...

Yes, Young and Leinert are rookies, but have already shown me more than Carr ever has. Leinert with his smarts and pocket presence (behind a line that is unquestionably worse than ours, I might add), and Young with his leadership and playmaking ability.

I also think Cutler is already better than Carr.

Did you see Kitna play yesterday? He carved up Dallas's defense with his sorry cast of characters, which David did not even come close to doing.

If Losman torched Houston, why couldn't Carr do that to Cleveland--an injury riddled team that plays like garbage?

Big Ben has had an off-year, perhaps because of his motorcycle injuries, but he is a Super Bowl champion and played great his first 2 years. If there were no salary cap ramifications and the Steelers were willing to trade Ben for David straight up, you don't think the Texans would take that deal in a heartbeat?

HomeBred_Texan
01-01-2007, 01:20 PM

P. Manning Would Love to Have him...
Brady Would Love to Have him...
Brees Would Love to Have him...
Palmer Would Love to Have him...
McNair Has had worse games than Carr, how is he better?
Favre You have to be kidding
Rivers Would Love to Have him...
Hasselbeck Would Love to Have him...
Garcia 1 year wonder boy at best.
Romo LOL, too funny. No way Jose.
Bulger OMG, he is on his way to the pro bowl, right? Get real
Pennington In no way is this guy better. He does have a better team and OL
Young Can't compare 1 year wonder boy yet
Leinert Can't compare 1 year wonder boy yet
Green Can't comment he was out too long, but they have a running game
Cutler Can't compare a 1 year wonder boy yet
Kitna This guy is bottom meat, please dont even compare him to Carr
Losman Won't last much longer in the NFL. Way too inconsistent to be compared
Vick Isn't a QB, a good running back that goes under center at best
Roethlisberger Oh please, his worst season ever and has a great team around him

Those are my comments about each.

SLO Texan
01-01-2007, 01:23 PM

No, I'm pretty sure that's you.

The only thing you ever have to say is that David and the franchise SUCKS. Did you graduate from HS? Come up with a legitimate argument for once please.

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 01:30 PM

Are you are a relative or friend of Carr's?

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2007, 02:00 PM
In my opinion ... here's the teams that have a worse QB situation than us .

Minnesota
Chicago
Tampa
Cleveland
Oakland
Washington
Carolina
Green Bay

I'm thinking they do not pay as much for their QB .

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Detroit
Minnesota
Chicago
Tampa
Cleveland
Oakland

Good post. Your point about factoring in QB compensation is very well taken. The only minor quibble I might have is that Kitna looked great yesterday against Dallas quarterbacking a team worse than ours. Carr looked lousy against Dallas. I also recall that Kitna did a decent job in Cincinnati before giving way to Palmer, the team's golden child. At this point in time for me, decent at low cost >>> mediocre at high cost, IMHO.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Detroit
Minnesota
Chicago
Tampa
Cleveland
Oakland
Washington
Carolina
Green Bay

I think I'd add the ths fins, cowgirls and jags to this list

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Good post. Your point about factoring in QB compensation is very well taken. The only minor quibble I might have is that Kitna looked great yesterday against Dallas quarterbacking a team worse than ours. Carr looked lousy against Dallas. I also recall that Kitna did a decent job in Cincinnati before giving way to Palmer, the team's golden child. At this point in time for me, decent at low cost >>> mediocre at high cost, IMHO.

I took Detroit off after I looked at their team passing yards . Their better right now .

TexanSam
01-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Minnesota
Chicago
Tampa
Cleveland
Oakland
Washington
Carolina
Green Bay

I'd have to disagree with you on Carolina, Green Bay, and Washington. Carolina has Jake Delhomme who is a better QB than Carr is. Washington has had Jason Campbell on the bench for a few years now and should start next season as the #1 QB. And Green Bay has Brett Favre who is a better QB than Carr even if he's a decade older. They also have Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings.

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I considered the Jags . Garrard is just now starting and Leftwich was injured .

Culpepper and Harrington are a better option than ours IMHO and I think I'd take Romo and his salary over Carr and his .

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2007, 02:12 PM
I'd have to disagree with you on Carolina, Green Bay, and Washington. Carolina has Jake Delhomme who is a better QB than Carr is. Washington has had Jason Campbell on the bench for a few years now and should start next season as the #1 QB. And Green Bay has Brett Favre who is a better QB than Carr even if he's a decade older. They also have Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings.

Thats cool ... its an exchange of opinions .

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 02:16 PM

The Cowgirls' QB is going to the Pro Bowl and is being compared to Favre because of his playmaking ability and improvisational skills. Carr could learn a lot from Romo on how to maintain good pocket presence when you have a bad offensive line in front of you. And yes, this is the same Romo who is a 3rd year free agent who did not appear in ONE regular season game before this year. Contrast that to Carr, who now has had 5 years of starting QB work, has been paid $35 million and played like absolute garbage too many times this year.

If the Cowgirls were stupid and willing to trade Romo for Carr straight up, Kubiak and Co. would take that deal in a heartbeat.

Carr is grossly, obscenely overpaid and may be damaged beyond repair.

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Minnesota
Chicago
Tampa
Cleveland
Oakland
Washington
Carolina
Green Bay

Minnesota - Tavaris Jackson is a much better prospect than Carr at this point in their careers.
Chicago - Grossman has over 3000 yards and 23 TD's. Not even close to Carr's numbers.
Tampa - Maybe. I would take Simms over Carr.
Cleveland - Frye is a much better QB than Carr. You could see that yesterday.
Oakland - Maybe. But is Andrew Walter much worse than Carr?
Washington - Jason Campbell has almost as many TD as Carr in less than half as many games. He is a much better prospect than Carr at this point.
Carolina - Carr couldn't hold DelHomme's jock.
Green Bay - Favre is a much more productive QB even at his age and Rogers is a much better prospect than Carr.

So there is really only 1 team worse off than us at the QB position, and that one is a close call.

ulsaint
01-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Some of you guys are delusional. I'm not a Texans fan at all so am extremely unbiased in this assessment.

The Cowboys and Panthers would laugh themselves retarded before even considering trading Romo or Delhomme for Carr.

Delhomme had an off year with a horrible OL and was still better than Carr. I mean the guy nearly won the Superbowl and is in the top 5 all time career postseason QB rating and is a proven leader.

Romo in his first year as a starter has already had more impact plays than Carr in five.

Carr supporters are in denial just like Aaron Brooks supporters were in NOLA.

Carr is not a starting caliber QB.

The only teams with worse situations are:

Minnesota
Oakland

Teams with equally crappy situations include:

Miami
Tampa
Jacksonville

That's it. Carr is not good and he doesn't even have intangibles. He's not a smart player and is a worse leader.

ulsaint
01-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Minnesota - Tavaris Jackson is a much better prospect than Carr at this point in their careers.
Chicago - Grossman has over 3000 yards and 23 TD's. Not even close to Carr's numbers.
Tampa - Maybe. I would take Simms over Carr.
Cleveland - Frye is a much better QB than Carr. You could see that yesterday.
Oakland - Maybe. But is Andrew Walter much worse than Carr?
Washington - Jason Campbell has almost as many TD as Carr in less than half as many games. He is a much better prospect than Carr at this point.
Carolina - Carr couldn't hold DelHomme's jock.
Green Bay - Favre is a much more productive QB even at his age and Rogers is a much better prospect than Carr.

So there is really only 1 team worse off than us at the QB position, and that one is a close call.

Good post.

Imatexanfan
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
In all seriousness, I think we should keep 'em, IMHO.

Kubiak said he's sticking with 'em so you know I really can't say what the deal is with McNair at this point. If he wanted to draft a QB he should have done that last season with VY, IMO its a race issue, but why not draft ML or JCutler, really nobody knows until something happens.

**It's the O-line always has and STILL is**

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 02:37 PM
The Cowgirls' QB is going to the Pro Bowl and is being compared to Favre because of his playmaking ability and improvisational skills. Carr could learn a lot from Romo on how to maintain good pocket presence when you have a bad offensive line in front of you. And yes, this is the same Romo who is a 3rd year free agent who did not appear in ONE regular season game before this year. Contrast that to Carr, who now has had 5 years of starting QB work, has been paid $35 million and played like absolute garbage too many times this year.

If the Cowgirls were stupid and willing to trade Romo for Carr straight up, Kubiak and Co. would take that deal in a heartbeat.

IMO Romo is a flash in the pan(right now) QB have to give time to see if he holds up personely I dont see it. I think his going to the Pro-Bowl it a Joke he had what 4 or 5 game played and makes the Pro-bowl. You said if your self hes a three year undrafted free agent QB see if he lasts, If he is the cowgirls savior why did it take 3 years to get him off a bench for goodness sakes. And by the way he got bet by the LIONS yesterday right?

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Well Romo's going to the playoffs and to the pro-bowl ... so until you can proove otherwise he's better .

Texas_Thrill
01-01-2007, 02:42 PM

Ok you totally LOST me on the McNair comment. You do realize he's given B-more its first real QB since billick has been there. He's the MAJOR reason they have a buy and my pick for the super bowl.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Well Romo's going to the playoffs and to the pro-bowl ... so until you can proove otherwise he's better .

I realy cant argue with the fact that he is going to the Pro-bowl and is in the play-offs but I can say TIME will tell. IMO Romo is overrated. Look how long it the tuna to make the QB change he twisted with the idea for weeks before he made the change. Well see with time and the Cowgirls run in the Play-offs. If I'm wrong I admit it a Eat-a-Little crow.

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 02:53 PM
If he wanted to draft a QB he should have done that last season with VY, IMO its a race issue

Quoted for ignorance...

Imatexanfan
01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Adios Ocho Stinko

Quoted for HE'S STAYING.:shades:

Hookem Horns
01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Instead of taking the time to name all of the QB's better than Carr, why don't you save time and name only the ones that Carr is better. OK, I'll start ...

Uhhhm, let me think. Well you have uuhhh, what about hmmm, no ...

OK my bad, maybe it is faster the other way around.

The Pencil Neck
01-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan

McNair Has had worse games than Carr, how is he better?
McNair hasn't had a game this year where he's thrown 4 interceptions. He's thrown for more yards in less games than Carr. I don't think he's played a complete game this year where he's had less than 140 yards. McNair is better than Carr.
Favre You have to be kidding
Favre threw for almost 4000 yards. He's known for throwing a bunch of picks but he didn't a single game where he threw 4 picks in a game. He never had a streak of longer than 2 games without a TD.
Garcia 1 year wonder boy at best.
No, a 3-time pro-bowler prior to this season. A guy who has won playoff games and who looks calm under fire.
Romo LOL, too funny. No way Jose.
He's been successful behind a line as bad as the Texans.
Bulger OMG, he is on his way to the pro bowl, right? Get real
Over 4000 yards, over 20 tds, and less than 10 picks. Maybe you should get real.
Pennington In no way is this guy better. He does have a better team and OL
Yes, Pennington is smarter and he makes plays. He isn't as talented as Carr but he's a much, much better player. I would take Pennington over Carr. Easily.
Young Can't compare 1 year wonder boy yet
He's done more in 1 year than Carr has done in 5. And he did it with a team that was supposed to be worse than the Texans. He did it with a team that Kerry Collins, a QB that's been to the SB and to the PB, couldn't do it with.
Leinert Can't compare 1 year wonder boy yet
And yet, he played for less games and put up similar numbers to Carr's. This is a ROOKIE and he outperformed Carr with no running game and a crappy offensive line.
Green Can't comment he was out too long, but they have a running game
Just based on history, Green is a much better QB than Carr. And before you say that it's not about history, then you shouldn't NOT compare Carr wit hte Rookies.
Cutler Can't compare a 1 year wonder boy yet
He's had much better games than Carr has this year.
Kitna This guy is bottom meat, please dont even compare him to Carr
He might be bottom meat, but he's performed much better than Carr has this year. Over 4000 yards passing and over 20 td's. Granted he's thrown a lot of pics but his td/pick ratio is the same as Carr's and he has twice the touchdowns.
Losman Won't last much longer in the NFL. Way too inconsistent to be compared
And yet, he's thrown for more yards and more touchdowns than Carr has AND he's got a better TD/Int ratio, AND he's led his team to victory in the last minute of some games. So, purely on performance, he's better than Carr.
Vick Isn't a QB, a good running back that goes under center at best
Still, better than Carr. He's thrown more TD's and almost the same number of ints.
Roethlisberger Oh please, his worst season ever and has a great team around him
And he STILL was much better than Carr. He threw for over 1000 more yards than Carr did and 7 more TD's in fewer games. Sure, he threw interceptions and had a bad year, but I'd take Roethlisberger's worst year over whatever year of Carr's this was.

There are my comments to your comments

Carr is one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league. This was his year to show that his problem was the old regime and that he could perform in a new, more QB friendly environment. He hasn't stepped up.

mexican_texan
01-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Why would anyone think Washington has a QB problem? Jason Campbell rules.

Silver Oak
01-01-2007, 03:13 PM

I think a person who is a self made millionaire doesn't qualify as a braindead moron.

This is probably one of those times you probably wish you could retract that post huh?

Go Texans!

Hookem Horns
01-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I think a person who is a self made millionaire doesn't qualify as a braindead moron.

This is probably one of those times you probably wish you could retract that post huh?

Go Texans!

Or just make it clear you are referring to his football evaluation of talent brains only.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that's you.

The only thing you ever have to say is that David and the franchise SUCKS. Did you graduate from HS? Come up with a legitimate argument for once please.

I don't have time to argue with homers about points that are blatantly obvious to anyone who actually watches the games.

David sucks, McNair's comment about Carr being better than 20 starting QBs sucks, and fans like you suck too.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Go Texans!

I wont retract anything about that post. Anyone who thinks Carr is better than 20 starting QBs in this league is at best a blithering moron

no retraction...nice try

thunderkyss
01-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Minnesota
Chicago
Tampa
Cleveland
Oakland
Washington
Carolina
Green Bay

Uh..... hell no........
Minesota has got their guy... Tavarus Jackson is going to have a hella nice career..... so will Jason Campbell in Washington.
Chris Simms, Tim Rattay, & Brad Gradkowski in Tampa Bay.... they are three times better than we are at QB right now.

Oakland...... both Walther & Brooks would be upgrades....

Carolina... Delhomme.... Carr.... you've got to be kidding.

& GreenBay...... depending on what #4 decides to do. I think he is coming back.

thunderkyss
01-01-2007, 04:03 PM

Did he really say this??

dirty steve
01-01-2007, 04:10 PM
what a total joke....do you even watch games other than the ones Carr is in? that is an embarassing post...some people just dont get it
other than flaming carr every other time you post, why dont you offer some opinion or insight on why you think he is better/worse than those listed?

tulexan
01-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Oakland...... both Walther & Brooks would be upgrades....

Brooks is not an upgrade for any QB in the league past, present, or future.

texan_fan_8
01-01-2007, 04:12 PM
You know this comment has me thinking about something. It bothered me the other day when Carr was interviewed and said that we all just don't know. We don't know what goes on in the front office and basically no matter how bad he plays we have no idea so the critics dont' bother him. Okay so we've had a great laugh how now its just that WE don't know ...

This comment makes me wonder if we really DON'T know and basically that Carr has been told no matter what he's the starter here in houston. Period. Carr plays that way. He plays like its a job like a stock boy @ wal-mart. Go in your there for your time, if you do a good job fine. if you do a bad job fine. What are they going to do fire me kinda attitute. I've said that about him consistant.

Here's another example. Yesterday Carr was talking and he refered to Kubiak as Gary. For a second it took me a second to even realize who the heck he was even talking about. The other players seem to call him coach or coach kubiak, titles which convey respect. You know that Derek Jetere still calls joe torre Mr. Torre, why, because he respects his postion.

And lastly, while i'm on a roll. I wanted to say one thing about Payton Manning. You notice he comes to the mic, he is dressed nicely in a suit and tie. When i see Carr, he's in a pair a jeans a tee shirt and a baseball cap pushed down so far over his eyes he looks like one of the boys in da hood. He dresses very poorly and thugish instead of professional and with dignity.
It again just conveys an attitude and why Payton Manning is Payton Manning and why David Carr will never be a 'payton manning'

OzzO
01-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Some other things said as well, I think it's ultimately up to Kubiak and Smith - if they want to move forward with or without Carr, I don't think you'll get much of an arguement from McNair.

...If Sunday turns out to be quarterback David Carr's last game with the Texans, as many expect, the back-to-back victories will look good on his résumé.

"It's like coach Kubiak said: We're going to evaluate every player," owner Bob McNair said. "You ask yourself how are we going to get better, and you look at your options.

"The questions are: Who else can you get to play better, and what is it going to take to get him?"

This week, general manager Rick Smith moves front and center as the Texans enter the offseason. Smith, who replaced Charley Casserly, did an impressive job of acquiring free agents to replace the many injured players.

"I have a lot of confidence in Rick and Gary," McNair said. "We had a remarkable draft. We're going to improve our team significantly in the draft and free agency."

Smith, who hired Chris Olsen from the NFL Management Council to be his salary-cap expert, will try to acquire extra draft choices and restructure contracts to free up more room under the cap. The Texans should be $10 million to $13 million under the cap.

"We're going to sign some free agents," McNair said.

The Texans got a lot of mileage out of some free agents, including those signed off the street. Sunday offered a perfect example....

chronic 1/1/07 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4437113.html)

McClain is thinking in his blog (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/12/what_to_do_with_carr_is_the_qu.html#more)that Carr is traded, Plummer comes in and we draft a future QB in 2nd or 3rd round, also that the free agent signings will be spread out, and not some major acquisition

...Here's what the Texans need going into the offseason. They need to resolve the Carr issue. I think he'll be traded. I think they'll sign Jake Plummer after he's waived by the Broncos. I think they'll draft a quarterback in the second or third round to develop. But what do I know? I thought they should have traded Carr last year and drafted Vince Young. When they didn't, I thought they were going to draft Reggie Bush instead of Mario Williams....

*edit - and one more, since talking about Carr, sorta - I found it interesting how after the last game, he's changed his tune from "just go out have have fun and that it all doesn't matter as long as he has family and friends" (not a direct quote, per se, but summarized what I've heard the past few games from him) to "I have a job to do, which is to win football games," Carr said. "We've done a good job of doing that these last couple of weeks. I think the Colts game did more good for this team and the franchise than any win I have had. The way we handled ourselves after halftime, coming back out and not being denied, it was strong for our team. I look forward to coming back to this team. It's going to be exciting."...

..."It's nice to go on a little winning streak," he said. "It's just too bad it's at the end of the season. I want to keep going."

In the finale against the Browns, Carr completed nine of 15 passes for 86 yards. He was sacked once and threw one interception. He also had five carries for minus-8 yards.

Kubiak said even though Carr came away with a quarterback rating of just 48.2, he got the job done.

"We didn't throw the ball much," Kubiak said. "He managed the game. We had one turnover, and it was an audible that we had called a screen and checked out of the screen versus man coverage.

"It was a game where he just needed to manage it and hang on, and our defense and special teams found a way to win it. I think from that standpoint, he hung on and did a good job."... Megan's article 1/1/07 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4437168.html)

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Did he really say this??TK, I don't know man. It would easily be one of the most out of touch statements ever used by a NFL owner.

Right now there are only 5 teams where Carr could be considered even a mild upgrade at the CURRENT QB starter. The list gets shorter when you realize that the Vikes like Jarv's athleticism at the QB position and Tampa just resigned Chris Simms. The JVille QB situation is in shambles. Garrard is not starting QB caliber so they get stuck with #5.

Oakland
Cleveland
Minnesota
Tampa Bay
Jacksonville

GB has Favre until he retires. Chicago has Rex (don't hear a lot of calling for Griese anymore do ya? not after last night). Jason Campbell with Washington has already shown much promise in just a few games. Kitna and Carr both make bonehead plays but Kitna at least gives you big play capability for a better price.

With Carr's production and his high price, we are not in a good spot. You wanna know why we only have like 13million under the cap while multiple teams have near 30million yet we need as much help as anyone? Bad contracts like David's current deal. That's why.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Quoted For Truth

Marcus
01-01-2007, 04:32 PM

I need something made clear. As always you guys are mucking up something very revealing and newsworthy with your usual garbage.

Once again . . did . . McNair . . say . . they needed someone to replace Carr?

Yes or no?

thunderkyss
01-01-2007, 04:35 PM

normally I'd agree...... but I think David is the exception.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 04:41 PM
normally I'd agree...... but I think David is the exception.

damn I thought I was the one who thought David really sucked. You have taken it into hyperspace if you think Brooks > Carr.

but there is one thing for sure, when you start arguing about whether or not Brooks or Carr is better...well let's just say that is a pretty raw indictment of both player's performances and we'll leave it at that......or not

Nighthawk
01-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I need something made clear. As always you guys are mucking up something very revealing and newsworthy with your usual garbage.

Once again . . did . . McNair . . say . . they needed someone to replace Carr?

Given the rest of the quote (there are 20 worse QBs) this statement doesn't make sense. I think somebody got the quote wrong, or edited the remark and changed its meaning.

If there are 20 worse QBs then he probably would not be wanting to replace Carr, would he?

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Did he really say this??

He specifically stated "there are 20 NFL quarterbacks that aren't as good as David Carr". The rest of it was his typical lawyer-speak. He certainly didn't say that David Carr is his man and that he will be here until they make him successful.... like the stuff we've heard in the past. That vote of confidence for Carr appears to be gone, but if he seriously thinks that there are only 12 QB's in the NFL better than Carr we have got serious problems with how our management evaluates talent.

texansguyinpa
01-01-2007, 04:59 PM

Minnesota
Chicago
Tampa
Cleveland
Oakland
Washington
Carolina
Green Bay

Minnesota has a fine QB situation, Travaris Jackson is only a rookie and is a very exciting player and will become very good. Washington has Jason Campbell and he will become a probowl quarterback and Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers another young quarterback. All of these teams are set.

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 05:02 PM
IMO Romo is a flash in the pan(right now) QB have to give time to see if he holds up personely I dont see it. I think his going to the Pro-Bowl it a Joke he had what 4 or 5 game played and makes the Pro-bowl. You said if your self hes a three year undrafted free agent QB see if he lasts, If he is the cowgirls savior why did it take 3 years to get him off a bench for goodness sakes. And by the way he got bet by the LIONS yesterday right?

We'll see whether Romo is an enduring player, but the fact is, he couldn't have made the Pro Bowl without the support of the NFL players and coaches. It says a lot that his peers and opposing coaches thought enough of him to vote him in. Has Carr ever been voted in? NO. Instead, the best DB on his team (Dunta) called out Carr just a few weeks ago; Freeney publicly called Carr his "boy"; and Bulluck of the Titans has publicly cast aspersions on Carr. David simply does not have the same amount of respect around the league that Romo already does, which is pretty sad considering he was the #1 pick in the draft--but deserved, because his play SUCKS.

Carr has been on the field the last 5 years, and still makes stupid decisions that not even Romo, Leinert or Cutler make despite their inexperience. He was also outplayed by Sage when Sage filled in for him this year.

If you cannot acknowledge that Romo is already better than Carr, I don't know what to say. Are you a relative or friend of David Carr's?

threetoedpete
01-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Plummer's not comming here. McClain is guessing.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
He specifically stated "there are 20 NFL quarterbacks that aren't as good as David Carr". The rest of it was his typical lawyer-speak. He certainly didn't say that David Carr is his man and that he will be here until they make him successful.... like the stuff we've heard in the past. That vote of confidence for Carr appears to be gone, but if he seriously thinks that there are only 12 QB's in the NFL better than Carr we have got serious problems with how our management evaluates talent.

hopefully thats his own perception and not the perception of the GM and HC. I believe that is his own opinion and not that of qualified football people.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Minnesota has a fine QB situation, Travaris Jackson is only a rookie and is a very exciting player and will become very good. Washington has Jason Campbell and he will become a probowl quarterback and Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers another young quarterback. All of these teams are set.

Aaron Rodgers has not impressed and couldn't even stay in the game without getting injured when he has played. But as long as they have Favre, they have a better QB situation than Houston. That may not be long after watching him post-game last night...he was a lil' teary eyed.....

Honoring Earl 34
01-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Well ... if Carr gets cut ... does that mean there was'nt many teams who wanted to trade . This of course is make believe and I know the Texans would not consider cutting a player of Carr's caliber .

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Aaron Rodgers has not impressed and couldn't even stay in the game without getting injured when he has played. But as long as they have Favre, they have a better QB situation than Houston. That may not be long after watching him post-game last night...he was a lil' teary eyed.....

Can I use your avatar?

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Can I use your avatar?

of course. i actually borrowed it from another user who sanctioned it to be used by anyone who wanted to. forgot his name on here...

Hookem Horns
01-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Instead of taking the time to name all of the QB's better than Carr, why don't you save time and name only the ones that Carr is better. OK, I'll start ...

Uhhhm, let me think. Well you have uuhhh, what about hmmm, no ...

OK my bad, maybe it is faster the other way around.

OK, gutless person that gave me bad rep for this. Start naming all the QB's that Carr is better than. College and Highschool guys don't count either. Try to name some NFL starters if you can.

tulexan
01-01-2007, 07:54 PM
OK, gutless person that gave me bad rep for this. Start naming all the QB's that Carr is better than. College and Highschool guys don't count either. Try to name some NFL starters if you can.

It wasn't me but I can start the list with Aaron Brooks

dirty steve
01-01-2007, 08:05 PM
charlie frye
joey harrington
michael vick (take away his legs and he is at best a backup)
mark brunell

Hookem Horns
01-01-2007, 08:41 PM
It wasn't me but I can start the list with Aaron Brooks

That's a toss up. Brooks at least a good season or two and was the first QB to win a playoff game for the Saints. True, he sucks pretty bad now.

jhowie007
01-01-2007, 08:47 PM

If Mr McNair brings back Carr, he will lose a lot of fans. They just play bad football with Carr at the helm. If the Texans ever want to make it to the playoffs, they will not play Carr.

tulexan
01-01-2007, 08:48 PM
That's a toss up. Brooks at least a good season or two and was the first QB to win a playoff game for the Saints. True, he sucks pretty bad now.

Brooks is someone who up to the past two seasons if you just looked at his stats you would think he had a pretty good season, but if you watched the games he would put repeated daggers in the heart by throwing interceptions or fumbling the ball at the worst possible moment.

Napa Auto Parts
01-01-2007, 09:27 PM

Have to go with you there at least brooks has won a playoff game.

powerfuldragon
01-01-2007, 09:30 PM
maybe i'm a homer, but no way in heck i'd ever call p. rivers better than d. carr.

Wharton
01-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Would you rather have Bud Adams?At least Bud had the sense enough to get a good QB when he saw one.

I'm really starting to question the ability of Mr. McNair to run this organization. In many ways, he and DC are kindred spirits. Both are nice guys and both appear to be ill suited for the NFL (the Not For Long) league.

Not to mention, there is no way in hell DC is better then all the other QB in the league with the exception of 10!

stingray
01-01-2007, 09:43 PM
maybe i'm a homer, but no way in heck i'd ever call p. rivers better than d. carr.

HUH???????????? Have you seen a charger game? LT is the Man but Rivers doesn't make many mistakes. He's solid. if the Chargers had Carr. They would be 9-7 at best...

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 09:47 PM

That's not being a homer... that's being ridiculous..

NJTexanFan
01-01-2007, 09:51 PM
That's not being a homer... that's being ridiculous..

LOL that has got to be one of the funniest comments i've seen on this board in a while

Jimpster
01-01-2007, 09:59 PM

Does VY come with the deal?

TPIMP
01-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Carr will be here next season.

houstonhurricane
01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
RIGHT NOW, I think Carr is better than the following: Harrington/Culpepper, Losman, Frye, Cutler, Brooks, Simms/Gradowski, Brad Johsnon, and Grossman. That being said, he needs to be much better than that to retain his position as starter...

texman8
01-01-2007, 10:35 PM
RIGHT NOW, I think Carr is better than the following: Harrington/Culpepper, Losman, Frye, Cutler, Brooks, Simms/Gradowski, Brad Johsnon, and Grossman. That being said, he needs to be much better than that to retain his position as starter...

Cutler has more upside.

Losman is inconsistent but he has more better games than Carr. From that list, Carr is in bottom quarter of QBs in NFL.

TPIMP
01-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Maybe Carr could have developed like Romo if he had not been thrown into the fire as a rookie. And maybe Carr would have developed if Chris Palmer had been left alone to guide the Texans offense the way he now guides the Cowboys. Mistakes, Mistakes, Mistakes!

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 10:41 PM

You think he's better than Cutler??? He threw almost as many TD's in 5 starts.

Better than Frye??? Did you see the game Sunday?

Better than Losman??? Did you see the Buffalo game?

Better than Brooks??? Did you see the Oakland game?

Better than Grossman??? The guy has 23 TD's and led his team to the #1 seed in the playoffs.

He is about equal to Gradkowski and Johnson, but you can't say definitively that he is better.

trublu
01-01-2007, 11:10 PM
What's funny is that everyone on this board feels Carr should be traded, yet the same people on this post believe Carr is the worst QB in the league. I don't get it; who in the hell will trade with the Texans for the worst QB in the league.:gun: Makes no sense at all.:wacko:

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 11:14 PM
What's funny is that everyone on this board feels Carr should be traded, yet the same people on this post believe Carr is the worst QB in the league. I don't get it; who in the hell will trade with the Texans for the worst QB in the league.:gun: Makes no sense at all.:wacko:

He's basically a project player at this point in his career. Some organizations like picking up players like that...

stingray
01-01-2007, 11:18 PM
He's basically a project player at this point in his career. Some organizations like picking up players like that...

He's Joey Harrington Part 2... Electricboogaloo.......

trublu
01-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Isn't everyone here complaining about having a 5th year project on our hands. If you don't want it why do you think someone else will.

Tulip
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM

IMO, the Texans would be lucky to get a 5th round pick for Carr.

Carr isn't the worst QB in the league, but he is an extreme underachiever. He has all of the physical tools and little ability to use them.

jhowie007
01-01-2007, 11:26 PM
David Carr = Giff Nielson Part II

HoustonFrog
01-01-2007, 11:28 PM
You think he's better than Cutler??? He threw almost as many TD's in 5 starts.

Better than Frye??? Did you see the game Sunday?

Better than Losman??? Did you see the Buffalo game?

Better than Brooks??? Did you see the Oakland game?

Better than Grossman??? The guy has 23 TD's and led his team to the #1 seed in the playoffs.

He is about equal to Gradkowski and Johnson, but you can't say definitively that he is better.

Agreed!

TexansSeminole
01-01-2007, 11:29 PM
IMO, the Texans would be lucky to get a 5th round pick for Carr.

Carr isn't the worst QB in the league, but he is an extreme underachiever. He has all of the physical tools and little ability to use them.

Honestly...I'd take that deal in a heart beat...I'd bet that 5th rounder helps our team more (or hurts it less) than David Carr would.

Hervoyel
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM
David Carr = Giff Nielson Part II

That's exceptionally unfair to Giff Nielson.

Oh, and the only comment I'm making on the list on this thread is that yes, David Carr is better than Aaron Brooks. I've got McFarlane Sports action figures on my shelf that are better than Aaron Brooks.

Carr is not a great deal better than Aaron Brooks but he is better.

CowboysTexansFan
01-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Maybe Carr could have developed like Romo if he had not been thrown into the fire as a rookie. And maybe Carr would have developed if Chris Palmer had been left alone to guide the Texans offense the way he now guides the Cowboys. Mistakes, Mistakes, Mistakes!

You may very well be right on that. Perhaps a change of scenery and more maturity will allow him to have some success later on down the road. Jim Plunkett took a horrible beating as the #1 pick for New England, then went on to win 2 Super Bowls with Oakland.

thunderkyss
01-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Brooks is someone who up to the past two seasons if you just looked at his stats you would think he had a pretty good season, but if you watched the games he would put repeated daggers in the heart by throwing interceptions or fumbling the ball at the worst possible moment.

Not exactly..... or no worse than Carr anyway. Aaron has put up ProBowl number, and has made many plays for his team.

Of course he was preceeded by Billy Joe & Billy Joe, but he was the first real QB the Saints had had in a while. He's got a big arm, and he is pretty accurate. Makes stupid decisions at times......

I honestly think he just needs a good coach to settle him down. He tries to do too much.

He's not a top ten QB, but he & David Carr aren't too far from each other.

thunderkyss
01-02-2007, 12:14 AM
HUH???????????? Have you seen a charger game? LT is the Man but Rivers doesn't make many mistakes. He's solid. if the Chargers had Carr. They would be 9-7 at best...

That's really hard to say. If David was in PRivers situation, they might be 14-2. That running game, and that defense hides a lot of QB faults. Just like Eli Manning & the Giants last year. All the stuff they are talking about this year isn't new....... that's the same old Eli..... the team around him isn't as good as it was.

The Chargers don't have any receivers... they can dink and dunk, run LT for a couple of big plays..... then bam...... David can throw that bomb to the wide open past his better days Keenan McCardell..... I can see it happening.

I'm not saying that David is as good as Rivers.. or better. I'm just saying I haven't seen anything to put Rivers in the ProBowl yet.

HoustonFan
01-02-2007, 12:16 AM

P. Manning
Brady
Brees
Palmer
McNair
Favre -
Rivers
Hasselbeck
Garcia
Romo - Bad ass
Bulger
Pennington
Young - a work in progress - potential BEAST
Leinert - a work in progress - potential bad ass
Green
Cutler - a work in progress
Kitna
Losman
Vick
Roethlisberger

I'm a Carr fan, but I'm gonna have to throw him under the bus for QBs that are better. My picks are in bold of course.

To Carr's credit at least he didn't look as bad as Grossman. Damn, that sucked for dz Bears.

jayjordan
01-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Next to G.Bush, Mr.Mcnair may be the dumbest (light skin) guy in history.

thunderkyss
01-02-2007, 12:25 AM

Thinking Grossman led the Bears to the #1 seed in the NFC is akin to saying that David led us to a victory over the Colts.... or Raiders.

David shouldn't even be starting in this league. He can't read a progression, much less a defense.

Maybe it's our fault.... maybe we don't give him enough time..... it doesn't matter. Until he shows he can do it on Gameday.... he doesn't deserve the start.

hollywood_texan
01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
That's really hard to say. If David was in PRivers situation, they might be 14-2. That running game, and that defense hides a lot of QB faults. Just like Eli Manning & the Giants last year. All the stuff they are talking about this year isn't new....... that's the same old Eli..... the team around him isn't as good as it was.

The Chargers don't have any receivers... they can dink and dunk, run LT for a couple of big plays..... then bam...... David can throw that bomb to the wide open past his better days Keenan McCardell..... I can see it happening.

I'm not saying that David is as good as Rivers.. or better. I'm just saying I haven't seen anything to put Rivers in the ProBowl yet.

Totally disagree.

I live in LA, so I see the Chargers play on TV regularly.

Rivers can throw the deep ball over the middle without the ball getting tipped by the linebacker in zone coverage. He has played very well this year.

True, Rivers has better talent around him, but that doesn't mean that Carr can make the exact same throws under the same situations.

It still remains to be seen what Carr can do, and we may never know.

thunderkyss
01-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Totally disagree.

I live in LA, so I see the Chargers play on TV regularly.

Rivers can throw the deep ball over the middle without the ball getting tipped by the linebacker in zone coverage. He has played very well this year.

True, Rivers has better talent around him, but that doesn't mean that Carr can make the exact same throws under the same situations.

It still remains to be seen what Carr can do, and we may never know.

you've seen Carr throw over the middle plenty of times without the ball getting tipped.

Not this year, but you know he can do it.... unless you think his arm isn't as strong as it once was.

powerfuldragon
01-02-2007, 01:30 AM
rivers is going to the probowl this year... carr hasn't yet.

some poeple need hteir sarcasm detectors to be recalibrated.

jokes aside, i'll support carr as long as he's in a texans uni.

TexansSeminole
01-02-2007, 02:00 AM
you've seen Carr throw over the middle plenty of times without the ball getting tipped.

Not this year, but you know he can do it.... unless you think his arm isn't as strong as it once was.

He can but does he? no. Will he? Do you really want to wait to figure that out?

Ibar_Harry
01-02-2007, 02:21 AM

Actually I have been wondering about this. We know he had an injury in his 2nd year to his throwing arm and reinjured it when he came back into the Falcons game despite being injured. If you recall he took another nasty hit in that game. This season he had a shoulder injury about midseason. People are watching his thowing style and it looks different. Has he been playing injured and it hasn't been reported? I think there is a real possibility.

I also believe when watching the preseason and TC videos that Kubiak was alterning David's throwing style. That's just a personal opinion, but he seemed to be throwing differently. I know for example, that Shannihan is a disciple of under throwing the receiver, which is contrary to what a lot of coaches think. I'm beginning to wonder if Carr is being over coached and has paralysis through analysis.

Datexan
01-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Don't have negative thoughts or posts about Carr...you will be banned! But the truth is the truth. That list of beter QB's cold double in my opinion...People don't understand that the quaterback is the alternator...if it's bad, you're not getting far at all...I have seen high school quaterbacks use less of a line because they have the instinct to get rid of the ball...Carr doesn't have instincts to get rid of the ball and make a sound decision to either trust his receiver or the undersanding of disecting a defense...I remember when J Gaffney was here...he was running decent routes and coming open but either Carr was running for his life (not out of neccessity but out of habit) or just afraid to throw the ball. He is simply a post-war, shell shocked soldier no longer able to fight for this team. The loyalty to Carr you can't find in churches these days...crazy....hope I don't get banned for having an opinion.

Napa Auto Parts
01-02-2007, 04:46 AM
dont worry you wont get banned it not like you said something some of us havent mentioned in the past. but you will get some bad rep from the carr supporters.

trublu
01-02-2007, 05:05 AM

Just out of curiosity, who is the dumbest (dark skin) guy in history.

Malloy
01-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Maybe it's our fault.... maybe we don't give him enough time..... it doesn't matter. Until he shows he can do it on Gameday.... he doesn't deserve the start.

Actually I think this argument is really important. Regardless of whether Carr himself is at fault, or the franchise (coaching - system) lack of support is at fault, the fact remains that Carr is still not delivering a good enough product to be taken seriously as a NFL QB.

With that taken into account (remember, regardless of the cause of it), something has to be done. Do we sit Carr, fire him, let him continue to play?

Usually there are consequences for not delivering the product you're expected to, and in this case Carr has not delivered. So, regardless of how we feel about him and his potential, the fact remains that he is not producing right now.

Benching him, or even trading/firing him is not giving up, it's moving on.The Houston Texans are in this business to win games, and as long as Carr is not contributing to this, there should be consequences.

touttail
01-02-2007, 08:19 AM

Sam, it's BUTT Adams, not Bud Adams! LOL

Bobby 119C :tease:

Mr teX
01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Quoted for ignorance...

How is that an ignorant comment? Unless you mean Mcnair's ignorance in not taking a QB, The guy who posted that is absolutely right.

the wonger need food
01-02-2007, 09:28 AM
How is that an ignorant comment? Unless you mean Mcnair's ignorance in not taking a QB, The guy who posted that is absolutely right.

He implied that Vince Young wasn't taken because of race... which is ignorant.

Mr teX
01-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Oh, gotcha

real
01-02-2007, 09:36 AM

I don't think it's all that ignorant...

I'm not saying he's correct, but I think it's a possiblility...I don't think McNair is an all out racist, but I think there is something in the subconsciousness of, not just McNair, but people in general that makes black QB's seem less than....I honestly believe that if VY were white, he would be looked at with less skepticism....Most of the time white QB's are anointed, and black QB's have to prove themselves....

JMO

the wonger need food
01-02-2007, 09:41 AM

I'm not saying he's correct, but I think it's a possiblility...I don't think McNair is an all out racist, but I think there is something in the subconsciousness of, not just McNair, but people in general that makes black QB's seem less than....I honestly believe that if VY were white, he would be looked at with less skepticism....

JMO

So in your opinion, it's a possibility that Vince Young wasn't drafted by the Texans because Bob McNair is a racist?

real
01-02-2007, 09:42 AM
So in your opinion, it's a possibility that Vince Young wasn't drafted by the Texans because Bob McNair is a racist?

Yeah....

That's what I said.....

the wonger need food
01-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah....

That's what I said.....

Do you know what the skin color is of the guy running his entire organization?

thunderkyss
01-02-2007, 09:48 AM

I'm not saying he's correct, but I think it's a possiblility...I don't think McNair is an all out racist, but I think there is something in the subconsciousness of, not just McNair, but people in general that makes black QB's seem less than....I honestly believe that if VY were white, he would be looked at with less skepticism....Most of the time white QB's are anointed, and black QB's have to prove themselves....

JMO

Matt Lienart would have been just as legitimate a #1 overall selection as Mario Williams.......

Passing on Vince had nothing to do with Race, it was a vote of confidence to David Carr. nothing more, nothing less.

had Vince been white, we still would've passed.

real
01-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Do you know what the skin color is of the guy running his entire organization?

Matt Lienart would have been just as legitimate a #1 overall selection as Mario Williams.......

Passing on Vince had nothing to do with Race, it was a vote of confidence to David Carr. nothing more, nothing less.

had Vince been white, we still would've passed.

I'm not going to argue any further about it....I just don't feel like it....

But I never said McNair passed on VY "because of his skin color"....

the wonger need food
01-02-2007, 09:58 AM

Wonger: So in your opinion, it's a possibility that Vince Young wasn't drafted by the Texans because Bob McNair is a racist?

xtruroyaltyx: Yeah... That's what I said...

thunderkyss
01-02-2007, 09:58 AM

So you're just saying it is a possibility?? Not that it happened that way, only that it is possible that McNair passed on Vince because McNair is a racist??

edo783
01-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I think it's just as possible that McNair is an alien from Mars and VY isn't from that area so he passed on him.

TopTexanFan16
01-02-2007, 12:45 PM

This rate in the top 10 most ignorant posts i've ever seen on this message board.....not only does it take an uneeded political stand you actually factor in that Mcnair is a dumb white guy, the 2nd dumbest in history.....please less ignorance and more reality.

Second Honeymoon
01-02-2007, 12:48 PM

JMO

sad but true

powerfuldragon
01-02-2007, 12:50 PM
this thread took a nose dive.

old football fan
01-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Outside of P. Brown and G. Halas most owners don't know much about football, that's why the hire people to run their teams. To most owners football is a hobby or a business. IMO. It shouldn't make any difference what skin color a player has. If he can play play him and pay him.

Heywood
01-02-2007, 01:43 PM

ok, way too much crack being smoked now.

from the original list, jason campbell, rex grossman, and jake delhomme are all better than carr, as is romo.

Heywood
01-02-2007, 01:44 PM
sad but true

i actually think it's a bit more obvious than that.

props to you guys for being honest enough to talk about it. the wunderlic slander of VY really ticked me off, as i believe DC is not all that, to put it mildly, upstairs.

Heywood
01-02-2007, 01:46 PM

for the record, mcnair wears his right-wing politics on his sleeve.

Vinny
01-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I honestly believe that if VY were white, he would be looked at with less skepticism....Most of the time white QB's are anointed, and black QB's have to prove themselves...
I tend to agree a bit. When McNair was the top QB in his class all I read was how he couldn't play in the NFL.....when Moon came to the Oilers I heard how he couldn't play in the NFL...when VY came out all I heard was he couldn't play in the NFL...I see JaMarcus Russell picked apart by many people in these forums as I see many people say some ridiculous things about him even though he completes 70% of his passes. Seems like people tend to accept a great white QB easily..but if you are a black QB you get incredible scrutiny.

Tulip
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm a little sensitive to the race thing as well in regards to the Texans starting QB position. I think that stems from McNair's attitude about David Carr from Day One - his enthusiasm for David seemed to stem from David being some sort of white-bread "face of the franchise." I never got comfortable with that.

real
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I tend to agree a bit. When McNair was the top QB in his class all I read was how he couldn't play in the NFL.....when Moon came to the Oilers I heard how he couldn't play in the NFL...when VY came out all I heard was he couldn't play in the NFL...I see JaMarcus Russell picked apart by many people in these forums as I see many people say some ridiculous things about him even though he completes 70% of his passes. Seems like people tend to accept a great white QB easily..but if you are a black QB you get incredible scrutiny.

Looking back at VY's JUNIOR season...he had one of the best seasons of all time as a QB...

Season ends, and all of a sudden he may be the fourth best QB in the draft ? Behind Leinart, Cutler, and maybe Clemens ?

Again....I don't neccesarily think that you're racist if you think VY is a bad QB, but deep down inside I believe that if a white QB had done the exact same thing as VY he would have been praised and hailed to no end...

the wonger need food
01-02-2007, 02:00 PM

So because he's a Republican he's a racist? And if he is such a racist why did he hire a black guy to run his entire organization?

Malloy
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM

I hope their critizism is based solely on football observations and not the color of their skin. I really do...

real
01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
So because he's a Republican he's a racist? And if he is such a racist why did he hire a black guy to run his entire organization?

I seriously doubt McNair is a "racist"....

Vinny
01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I hope their critizism is based solely on football observations and not the color of their skin. I really do...my comments were for fans in general...not really aimed at the team. I do think that the greater NFL fan base is harsher on black QB's in general for the most part.

Malloy
01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
my comments were for fans in general...not really aimed at the team. I do think that the greater fan base is harsher on black QB's in general for the most part.

I agree, sorry if I did not make it clear.

One thing though, because I've thought about the race-thing before also. If there is any racism when it comes to QB's in the NFL, would you say that the same goes for other positions too, but the other way around? The reason I mention it is that the majority of for example RB's are black. I guess the majority of football players are black too, not that I've got any numbers to back it up, it's just a hunch really.

Tulip
01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
but deep down inside I believe that if a white QB had done the exact same thing as VY he would have been praised and hailed to no end...

No doubt. And there probably would not have been much noise about holding a clipboard for 2-3 years.

Vinny
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
One thing though, because I've thought about the race-thing before also. If there is any racism when it comes to QB's in the NFL, would you say that the same goes for other positions too, but the other way around? The reason I mention it is that the majority of for example RB's are black. I guess the majority of football players are black too, not that I've got any numbers to back it up, it's just a hunch really.
most of the other positions are physical positions more so than mental positions. I think many people/fans just assume that the black inner city kids are dumb and can't handle the complexity of the QB spot....just an overview opinion. Different people think different things of course, but on whole I see a huge perception difference at the QB spot when many fans project talent from College to the Pros.

Heywood
01-02-2007, 02:28 PM

i think kubiak is as strong as any coach in terms of "running" the on-field organization- i think our GM us a very weak one, fwiw.

for instance, i believe most GMs hire/fire the head coach, with the owner's input. here, i think smith serves at kubiak's discretion.

Malloy
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
most of the other positions are physical positions more so than mental positions. I think many people/fans just assume that the black inner city kids are dumb and can't handle the complexity of the QB spot....just an overview opinion. Different people think different things of course, but on whole I see a huge perception difference at the QB spot when many fans project talent from College to the Pros.

I tend to agree, I too feel as if though there's some underlying perception (do I need to state that I do not hold this point of view? :) ) that black people are too dumb to hold the 'smart job' on the team. Whether this is a myth (everybody believe everyone else thinks this way), or whether there is some truth to this is hard to say, from a historical point of view I would tend to be concerned, definately alert to any possible racial differentation.

Fortunately there's quite a few black QB's around these days (just seeing Jacksonville whip out their third QB, black also, made me smile), so if the naive notion of black people being less smart is still around, it'll be proved wrong :)

Vinny
01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Things are slow to change...I think it's much better today but I do think we have a few more steps to walk on this issue....in a general sense of course.

TEXANRED
01-02-2007, 02:38 PM

So what you are saying is that if you are a black QB coming into the NFL then you should automatically be given the benefit of the doubt and no one should question there ability to play the position? I only ask that question b/c its seems like when you question a black QB ability to play then it must be b/c he is black.

To me thats silly. Every QB goes through the whole, "He might not be able to play the position in the pro's" remark. Everyone of them. No matter the color.

To me Vnce Young still isn't a good QB. Sorry. I don't care what color he is. Your job is to throw the football, not scamper down the field. Here is an idea, how about Vince step up to the line read a defense and complete a pass. That would be swell. And yes the Titans won some games this year but really how much better are they over the Texans? Two games?

Your natural athletic ability will only get you so far until the league catches up with you. Just ask Vick.

I still don't understand why there is a controversy over black QB -vs- white QB. No one cares at all that us white people dont get to play CB, S, DE, OLB, WR, or running back.

real
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
So what you are saying is that if you are a black QB coming into the NFL then you should automatically be given the benefit of the doubt and no one should question there ability to play the position? I only ask that question b/c its seems like when you question a black QB ability to play then it must be b/c he is black.

To me thats silly. Every QB goes through the whole, "He might not be able to play the position in the pro's" remark. Everyone of them. No matter the color.

To me Vnce Young still isn't a good QB. Sorry. I don't care what color he is. Your job is to throw the football, not scamper down the field. Here is an idea, how about Vince step up to the line read a defense and complete a pass. That would be swell. And yes the Titans won some games this year but really how much better are they over the Texans? Two games?

Your natural athletic ability will only get you so far until the league catches up with you. Just ask Vick.

I still don't understand why there is a controversy over black QB -vs- white QB. No one cares at all that us white people dont get to play CB, S, DE, OLB, WR, or running back.

Why are you so mad ?

Vinny
So what you are saying is that if you are a black QB coming into the NFL then you should automatically be given the benefit of the doubt and no one should question there ability to play the position? No way anyone with a brain could take that from my comments.....I simply said that it is my observation that NFL fans in general seem to accept the top white QB's while they seem to pick apart young promising black QB's....and have done it for ages. I think it isn't nearly as bad as it was...but we still have a ways to go.

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
When are you guys going to realize that Bobby "Buffoon" McLoser is only good at taking your hard-earned cash and giving you a completely worthless product after five years.

He has ZERO football sense and his selections in coaching and players proves that perfectly.

Examples: Bisselli, Carr, Capers, Casserly, No Reggie, No VY, with the exception of Demeco Ryans & Andre Johnson name one player he has drafted that would start on an NFL team with a winning record?

With McNair the Texans are doomed to mediocrity...

hollywood_texan
01-02-2007, 02:55 PM

The only similarities between Vick and Young are that they are both African-American and use their feet, but that is it and that is the trap everyone falls into in this comparison. Their size and the way they are successful are very different. I could go into a lot more details. And that is the problem, people don't go into the details.

If you are going to make comparisons like that, then I guess Fran Tarkentan and Steve Young are comparable? See my point?

TexansSeminole
01-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I've never understood it either but black QBs coming out of college always get scrutinized more. That's fine with me as long as we have some scouts who don't follow this thinking...I'll let everyone pass on the Russells and Troy Smiths because they aren't used to the black QB and let us have some more chances at one of these guys.

More for us...less for them.

Heywood
01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I've never understood it either but black QBs coming out of college always get scrutinized more. That's fine with me as long as we have some scouts who don't follow this thinking...I'll let everyone pass on the Russells and Troy Smiths because they aren't used to the black QB and let us have some more chances at one of these guys.

More for us...less for them.

lions fans and sportsmedia there, notably north of the mason-dixon line, were mentioning troy smith as a parallel prospect to brady quinn. i wouldn't be surprised at all if they take smith with the 2nd pick.

Heywood
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Why are you so mad ?

i should tell you your avatar gives me goosebumps every time, even if it's the hundredth time.

Honoring Earl 34
01-02-2007, 04:53 PM
i should tell you your avatar gives me goosebumps every time, even if it's the hundredth time.

I remember watching that game . It was a rainy day and I just stayed on the couch .

Earl ran over Bill Simpson earlier in the game ... Simpson was a CB who tried to tackle him high .

TPIMP
01-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Rush Limbaugh seems to think Donavan McNabb gets overhyped because he is black. Dumb take. Just like this one. Doug Flutie was white but the NFL didn't overlook his deficencies. Same for Eric Crouch and Jason White.

Sure racism exists but whats more rampent is stupidity. Don't mistake the two for the same thing.

real
01-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Doug Flutie was white but the NFL didn't overlook his deficencies. Same for Eric Crouch and Jason White.

Yeah...

All those guys were as talented as Young McNair, and McNabb...

Lucky
01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah...

All those guys were as talented as Young McNair, and McNabb...
Young, McNair, & McNabb went #3, #3, & #2 in their respective drafts. The NFL didn't overlook them at all. Whatever criticism they took certainly didn't hurt their draft position that much.

Honoring Earl 34
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Young, McNair, & McNabb went #3, #3, & #2 in their respective drafts. The NFL didn't overlook them at all. Whatever criticism they took certainly didn't hurt their draft position that much.

I think whats more important is all three were the first QB taken in their class . Except for Mcnabb ... I looked Tim Couch was picked first ... ouch .

Second Honeymoon
01-02-2007, 05:35 PM
No way anyone with a brain could take that from my comments.....I simply said that it is my observation that NFL fans in general seem to accept the top white QB's while they seem to pick apart young promising black QB's....and have done it for ages. I think it isn't nearly as bad as it was...but we still have a ways to go.

not just NFL fans but front offices as well...it's just reality. but your right, it has gotten better but its been baby steps....

DatTexBoy
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM

opinions with facts supporting them...that's why youre my fav poster

TEXANRED
01-02-2007, 08:56 PM
No way anyone with a brain could take that from my comments.....I simply said that it is my observation that NFL fans in general seem to accept the top white QB's while they seem to pick apart young promising black QB's....and have done it for ages. I think it isn't nearly as bad as it was...but we still have a ways to go.

To me, your statement was a sucker comment.

You associated people criticizing JaMarcus Russell, not b/c he may have short comings and flaws in his game like every college football QB has, but b/c he is a black QB. Carr completed nearly 70% of his passes and I don't see anyone around here singing his praises.

You will have to excuse some of us doubters about McNair, it was never about race, it was about the fact he played in a IIa district from Alcorn State. C'mon, Alcorn State!

Why are you so mad ?
B/C it never stops. The moment that as a society we stop viewing people as race, color, or gender, is the moment in time when humanity has taken the next step in our evolution. B/C so many times I have sat and listened to people use there differences as the excuse as to why they fail.

Perfect example, McNair is locked out of traing camp, according to Ray Lewis, b/c he is black. The most ob sured statement I have ever heard. Bud Adams is a racist. Lets not look at the fact that for the last 20 years he has played black QB's and even drafted one to replace McNair. Yes Mr. Lewis, Bud Adams would to lock Bret Farve out.

I feel like you degrade a person when you mention the fact they are a black QB. I feel like you take away from that person and categorize them. These kids in college are not there b/c of there color but b/c they posses the skill to play that position at that level. Its demoralizing. If they posses the skill to play at a higher level they do. Plane and simple.

Does any of that make since?

OzzO
01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Wait... what was McNair's comment again?......

Oh, okay. I see how that can be construed as racist. The thread may now continue. :ok:

reilli
01-02-2007, 10:05 PM
To me Vince Young still isn't a good QB. Sorry. I don't care what color he is. Your job is to throw the football, not scamper down the field.

I disagree with this statement, not just about Vince but about the QB position.

"With the rise of several blitz heavy defensive schemes, the importance of a mobile quarterback has been redefined. While arm power and accuracy are still important quarterback virtues, the ability to elude or run past defenders creates an additional threat, that allows greater flexibility in the team's passing game."

I agree with this quote from Wikipedia.

thunderkyss
01-02-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't neccesarily think that you're racist if you think VY is a bad QB, but deep down inside I believe that if a white QB had done the exact same thing as VY he would have been praised and hailed to no end...

I agree with this statement.. close to 100%...... but earlier, it looked like you were saying we passed on Vince because he is black. Which I don't believe at all. We passed because McNair & David share a "special" relationship.

I agree, sorry if I did not make it clear.

I don't think it's the same thing. With QB, it's always going to come down to intangibles... like intelligence. You can give them tests & put them through drills, but you really can't tell how well someone understands the pro game, until you put them in the pro game.

But then you're going to have little things like OL, and spotty running games and what not that will cloud your judgment for 5 years or so, that you still may not have enough data to prove whether the kid is smart enough to play at this level.

But if you tell me that Wes Welker is fast..... hell, throw him out there with the other guys, and see how fast he is.
Tim Dwight....... Joe Jurivicious........ Kieth Pool..... all bonafide NFL talent in my book.

JeremyShockey....... Owen Daniel....... Jason Witten..... & yes, Mark Bruenner... some of the best tightends in the league. They're kinda like recievers. ONly bigger, and stronger.

Honoring Earl 34
01-02-2007, 11:13 PM
It was said many years ago that Oliver Luck was a Rhodes Scholar canidate and Dan Marino had a 15 wunderlich score but if you put them on a football field Marino becomes the genuis .

HoustonFrog
01-02-2007, 11:15 PM
I disagree with this statement, not just about Vince but about the QB position.

"With the rise of several blitz heavy defensive schemes, the importance of a mobile quarterback has been redefined. While arm power and accuracy are still important quarterback virtues, the ability to elude or run past defenders creates an additional threat, that allows greater flexibility in the team's passing game."

I agree with this quote from Wikipedia.

Me too. In fact I guess Steve Young wasn't a good QB if scrambling down the field didn't matter....or Fran T or Roger Staubach. It didn't look like VY had trouble finding touch or passing ability against us.

Texanfan4ever
01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
This rate in the top 10 most ignorant posts i've ever seen on this message board.....not only does it take an uneeded political stand you actually factor in that Mcnair is a dumb white guy, the 2nd dumbest in history.....please less ignorance and more reality.

No kidding, Mr. Jordan. Try to keep it intelligent and relevant. Wow!

shinerbock_girl
01-03-2007, 05:26 AM

P. Manning
Brady
Brees
Palmer
McNair
Favre
Rivers
Hasselbeck
Garcia
Romo
Bulger
Pennington
Young
Leinert
Green
Cutler
Kitna
Losman
Vick
Roethlisberger

I think he meant 20 starting AVAILABLE QB's

the wonger need food
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
According to Scouts Inc. he's the 27th best starting QB in the league... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2717356

Very generous of them to rank him ahead of Charlie Frye.

trublu
01-03-2007, 03:01 PM

So are you saying right wingers are racists??

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2007, 03:19 PM
So are you saying right wingers are racists??

Hey, if the sheet fits...

JOKE!!!

Koolaid Time
01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
According to Scouts Inc. he's the 27th best starting QB in the league... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2717356

Very generous of them to rank him ahead of Charlie Frye.

Actually its nice to see Steve McNair in at #4. After being kicked to the curb and thrown under the bus by the ***** Bud Adams, Steve McNair showed that toupee-wearing ***** that he can still play in the NFL.

edo783
01-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Actually its nice to see Steve McNair in at #4. After being kicked to the curb and thrown under the bus by the ***** Bud Adams, Steve McNair showed that toupee-wearing ***** that he can still play in the NFL.

I love it that Steve is doing well.