PDA

View Full Version : Jake the Snake

welsh texan
12-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Just heard a big rumour from Mike Carlson who does the NFL coverage over here that Jake Plummer looks set to rejoin Kubiak in Houston for '07.

This would be massive i reckon, both for Houston and for Carr, who could get on with his career elsewhere, i think the guy has a lot of talent but clearly needs a fresh start if he's to deliver on it.

Anybody else heard anything on this? can't link the information as it was on Channel 5 (UK) just now.

Imatexanfan
12-31-2006, 08:28 PM
:secret: Kubes said he's sticking with Carr on 610 radio show last week regardless of how he plays. He said he and the FO has no interest in Plummer because they have the position filled with Carr.

If true need LINK guy.:shades:

houstonhurricane
Unfortunately, I think that will come true; however, I don't think Plummer is an upgrade over Carr. I don't want to think about sitting through a season with him at the helm...

mexican_texan
We've known this for months. Some are just accepting it recently, though.

Kubes said Carr was his man, just like Shannahan said Plummer was his man. I smell an avatar bet brewing.

welsh texan
12-31-2006, 08:31 PM
:secret: Kubes said he's sticking with Carr on 610 radio show last week regardless of how he plays. He said he and the FO has no interest in Plummer because they have the position filled with Carr.

If true need LINK guy.:shades:

I'm sorry i'm over here in the UK and don't really keep in touch, the thing i just heard was litterally on UK TV about 10 mins ago and was from the presenter on 5 TV, so i'd say whatever Kubes said on the radio is more reliable.

I was only asking for some info on what i heard, cheers. :ok:

GuerillaBlack
12-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Troy Smith or JaMarcus Russel should be our pick next year. I actually think our D-Line is set and that we don't need to draft Alan Branch or Gaines Adams.

welsh texan
12-31-2006, 08:38 PM
If we prefer Carr to Plummer then does anybody worth having drop as far as Houston in the Draft though? Or are we better off keeping the QB position as it is and giving Carr another season behind the improved line?

Carr has improved this season to be fair, maybe not as much as some people would like but on the whole he is on the up, maybe Kubes could still make him that top 5 QB?:shades:

houstonhurricane
12-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Welsh,

I don't know that Carr is going to be able to turn things around in Houston; however, it still seems pretty costly a cap hit to trade/cut him - especially if it is done so we can bring in another "average" veteran qb. I would rather lets Rosenfels battle Carr for the starting position and draft a young qb in the second or third rounds.

We'll see how this plays out over the next few months.

Happy New Year!

demecoryans#1fan
12-31-2006, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately, I think that will come true; however, I don't think Plummer is an upgrade over Carr. I don't want to think about sitting through a season with him at the helm...

im new here so please dont take any of this too seriously but i think kubiak will give carr one more year till he starts looking for a new quarterback and i doubt that he will take a draft pick over a plummer who is on the downside of his carreer and past.:)

Johnny Utah
12-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Troy Smith or JaMarcus Russel should be our pick next year. I actually think our D-Line is set and that we don't need to draft Alan Branch or Gaines Adams.

Well, Anthony Weaver notched 1 sack this year as our DE, and Mario should be improving on his 4.5 sacks next season. I imagine Payne will be cut because of salary, and who knows if Travis Johnson will be back. This team still needs DL help.

Texian
12-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh *#$%! Jake the Mistake! I hope not, talk about taking two steps back.

Grid
12-31-2006, 09:39 PM
It would be a good move for us. For all of his faults, Plummer knows this offense and the mistakes he makes are errant passes, not poor pocket presence or an inability to make game changing decisions.

He will solidify the QB position for us and allow the team to continue moving forward.

He is NOT a long term answer though. If we get Plummer.. we need to get a rookie QB either this year or next year to begin grooming as his replacement.

mexican_texan
12-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Quinton Porter. The reincarnation of Joe Cool.

Grid
12-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Im very interested in Porter.. I wish we could have seen more of him.

welsh texan
12-31-2006, 09:54 PM
aww this all makes me very frustrated, we get 4 NFL games per week on average, i don't think Houston have been picked since last seasons Bengals game, although they may have a week when i was unable to watch it this season, we get no CFL at all, not even highlights or anything, and i hate not knowing who's who when we all start discussing the draft.

Happy New Year :party:

MrMeToo
12-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Anybody is an upgrade over Carr...

The Pencil Neck
12-31-2006, 10:08 PM
aww this all makes me very frustrated, we get 4 NFL games per week on average, i don't think Houston have been picked since last seasons Bengals game, although they may have a week when i was unable to watch it this season, we get no CFL at all, not even highlights or anything, and i hate not knowing who's who when we all start discussing the draft.

Start haunting this site and you'll start picking up some things. If you poke around on the net, you can find video on just about anyone you want to see.

Happy New Year!!! :marionaner:

sleepwalker
12-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Plummer is not an upgrade period...Who the heck would want Carr anyways?!?! Yea, I didnt think you could answer that.

Some of you want Sage to play who moved the ball againts a soft Titan's D for 1 half...What a joke.

Carr makes too much money for his poor mental play...I agree with all of you there, however hiring another player Denver didnt even want is NOT the answer.

Plummer is no better than Carr, if you think he is then I want some of what you're smoking please.

TexanSam
12-31-2006, 11:10 PM

Move to America buddy!! In all seriousness though, if you get satellite TV in Wales, do you get all the NFL games? Not sure how that works in other countries.

yourfavoritetexan42
12-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I would love to keep carr next year, but also bring in plummer. Let them battle it out. I would just hate to spend a draft pick on a QB when we are close to becoming a playoff team, but we need to fill other holes. Honestly, the quarterback position isn't a desperate need to fix right now. Our other cornerback, other linebackers, safetys, o linemen, interior d linemen, THOSE ARE NEEDS, not so much quarterback. I am kind of neutral on the whole Carr deal. I want to keep him, because I believe he hasn't been given a legit shot, but I also do not want to baby him and I don't really feel like waiting around to see if hes going to make it or not. He is not young, we arent an expansion team, and your o line is going to be legit next season. I want to see if he can step up and be a pro bowl quarterback like he should be, becuase he certainly has the talent, he just needs to put it all together. And I think bringing in competition, might help him put it all together.

Hervoyel
12-31-2006, 11:16 PM

Fine, you start next year. If they let you do it I'll buy season tickets to see how that goes.

Wharton
12-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Bringing in Jake is about as STUPID as passing on Vince was in last years draft.

Given that, my money is on Jake being a Texan next year.

GOD HELP US!!!!!

Grid
01-01-2007, 12:21 AM
I think some people are basing thier entire opinion of Plummer on headlines and sportscenter bits.

Lets get one thing straight.. Plummer is a big upgrade over Carr in that he is a veteran that knows what it takes to win. He is on par with the other "middle ground" QBs like Kitna, Bledsoe, Garcia, Gannon, Green, etc..etc..etc..

Does he have bad habits? Yes.. but his bad habits are "acceptable" over the bad habits that Carr has.

Additionally.. he knows Kubiaks offense frontwards and backwards and made it deep into the playoffs under Kubiak.

What Plummer would bring us is NOT an answer to our quarterback woes.. but a solid veteran QB that can not only help to instruct our new guys in how the offense works, and make them more comfortable in it, but also allow us to focus on other aspects of our team that need fixing.

With Plummer at QB, we can:

1. Tweak our Oline. We will no longer have to worry about having a QB who has no pocket presence, making our oline look bad. We can see our oline for what it really is.

2. Run the entire playbook, exploiting the mismatches that we have with Moulds and Johnson.

3. Utilize our TEs. Moulds, Johnson, Daniels, Putzier.. this is a kick*** stable of recievers that could really get our offense going if we could get the ball to them better.

4. Solidify our young defense. With our offense taken care of (minus tweaking that oline) we can focus on addressing the needs on defense, and getting this young squad up to par. No more games where our defense is on the field for 10 minutes, then our offense goes 3 and out and our defense returns for 10 more minutes.

This would be a great move for us.

There is just one catch.. as I said, Plummer is not the long term answer. We need someone under plummer that we are grooming to take his place. If we dont trade Carr, then this year it can be him. Then we draft another QB in 2008, give Carr a shot one last time, and if he doesnt come back looking like Drew Brees after the chargers drafted Rivers.. then we cut him and put Plummer back in, and start up again on the new rookie.

Or something to that effect anyway. The point is to get the struggling Carr OFF the field.. put in the vet, focus on fixing our other weaknesses. Then deal with our QBs on the benches however the FO sees fit. Trade Carr or groom him some more. Im for trading him and drafting a rookie either this year or next.

Hey maybe we could trade Carr for a good Olineman.. that would be nice. Maybe a guard.

Hervoyel
01-01-2007, 12:26 AM
You should add the following to your list

5. Stop arguing amongst ourselves about how bad David Carr is and/or how badly the Texans have failed him.

I know it's selfish of me but at this point I believe that the single greatest benefit of replacing David Carr (with Jake Plummer, Sage Rosenfels, or even Ren standing on Stimpys shoulders) would be an end (for the most part) of the topic of David Carr.

I'd pay good money to not have to read anymore threads like the ones that have dominated the board for the last year.

Stros5Texans80
01-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I think we should draft a QB, but give Carr a chance for about half a season and decide from there.

HomeBred_Texan
01-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Let me go on record also...

I do not want Jake Plummer here period, not even as a back-up. And no, not anyone can step in and be an upgrade over Carr. We must look to the future and what I see is that if Carr has another bad season, then next year we should draft a QB like Henne from Michigan. Someone who will make it in the NFL. The QB crop this year is slim pickings at best.

We have to look at the whole picture. We have many needs that need to be addressed worse than QB position right now. We need a franchise running back, a LB to go along with Ryans, CB;s, Safety, and OL help. Why waste a draft pick this year on someone who will not make it in the NFL and cannot help us immediately? Let's drive this Carr for another year and see if Kubs can rebuild that engine and if it still knocks, get rid of it then. Unless someone came up and offered there 1st round pick for him like Chicago or someone. But I just don't seee that happening.

I seriously don't want more Denver rejects here on this team just because of the idea that "they fit the system"... What system? The one that any running back can bust off a 1000 yard season? Total BS if you ask me...

pancho
01-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Way tired of Bronco players that the Broncos don't want.

Maddict5
01-01-2007, 09:28 AM

they showed the raiders game this year, there are highlights shows on friday and saturday 'endzone'.. coverage is actuallu good enough.. they show the NFLN games aswell so we've seen 6 games/ week lately

mike moffat
01-01-2007, 09:45 AM

5. Stop arguing amongst ourselves about how bad David Carr is and/or how badly the Texans have failed him.

I know it's selfish of me but at this point I believe that the single greatest benefit of replacing David Carr (with Jake Plummer, Sage Rosenfels, or even Ren standing on Stimpys shoulders) would be an end (for the most part) of the topic of David Carr.

I'd pay good money to not have to read anymore threads like the ones that have dominated the board for the last year.

Thank you very much, Hervoyel. I too am tired of the Carr bashing. Gosh, the season is over by a day and the pounding continues. I don't think that I can take the entire off season bashing Carr. We have alot more deficiencies than at the QB position.

aj.
01-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Way tired of waiting for #8 to become what he never will be.

Jake isn't the answer but he'd be able to adequately fill a transitional role at the position until the Texans are in a position promote their next young QB whomever that may be.

Carr is what he is. A nce guy who's tough and athletic, sometimes good, often times terrible QB who can't improvise, can't 'see the field' or feel his way around a pocket even with adequate protection, and needs more 'pieces around him' than an above average QB, much less a franchise type/difference maker QB should.

Time to move on.

We have alot more deficiencies than at the QB position.

I could probably build a pretty good case that the Texans greatest deficiency is the mental state of their starting QB. But I'll spare the board that pain...

jerek
01-01-2007, 09:57 AM

I'm wondering if we can set up individual filters to screen yours and my (and I'm sure others) thread views to eliminate all posts with Carr's name in it. You'd think it was a maliciously written computer virus that causes them to still appear here, originating all of these wonderfully fresh, new ideas about the guy.

They still wouldn't die, though; Carr will land somewhere else and however he does it will still provoke a spirited discussion of I-told-you-so's. Difference being, they'd be out of the Bullpen. I rarely visit the BP anymore as it just isn't enjoyable to wade through whatever 15 or so out of the 20 front page threads are about Carr with such cleverly deceiving yet ironic titles as "try something different."

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Just a question to anybody that thinks DC is that bad.

Did anyone watch the Bears game with Grossman? Oh my gosh we think we have problems with DC, you need to watch a Bears game. The ONLY reason there in the play-offs is Def. and Hester from there ST.

Grossman at half time had a passer rating of ZERO, 2 comp. on 17 att., and 3 INTS.

axman40
01-01-2007, 10:14 AM

Did anyone watch the Bears game with Grossman? Oh my gosh we think we have problems with DC, you need to watch a Bears game. The ONLY reason there in the play-offs is Def. and Hester from there ST.

Grossman at half time had a passer rating of ZERO, 2 comp. on 17 att., and 3 INTS.
WE have seen that in Oakland and the first Titan game !
:stirpot:

OzzO
01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Plummer is not an upgrade period...Who the heck would want Carr anyways?!?! Yea, I didnt think you could answer that.

Some of you want Sage to play who moved the ball againts a soft Titan's D for 1 half...What a joke.

Carr makes too much money for his poor mental play...I agree with all of you there, however hiring another player Denver didnt even want is NOT the answer.

Plummer is no better than Carr, if you think he is then I want some of what you're smoking please.

So, your answer to the QB question of the year would be...... ?

Reading Grid's post above, #23, a thought popped into the head (which happens every once in a while). IF Carr was unable to be traded, would Plummer come here a) to challenge Carr for the starting position b) "train" Carr to understand the QB position, especially in Kubiak's system.

Or would it just be way to much money for a starter and backup? Would that mean Sage, VanPelt, Porter are gone then/if we draft another QB... but then Plummer / Carr would be the 2 QB's that apparently Kubiak carries over a season, maybe the "future" QB is held off till a future draft if one doesn't fall to the Texans this coming draft.

Just random thoughts, typing while they pop in.

aj.
01-01-2007, 10:33 AM

Since you asked, I thought a lot about Carr as I was watching Grossman. The similarities transcend jersey numbers.

On the other hand, Saturday night I saw Jason Campbell do something in his 7th start that I've never seen Carr do in his 70 starts, i.e., sidestep a blitzer and throw a dart to Cooley while focusing downfield while said blitzer is hanging on to Campbell's jersey -- in a critical situation late in the 4th quarter that helped pull the Skins back within 6.

Newbsies
01-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Ill take Sage over both those Schmucks. Plummer is, without a doubt, and upgrade over Carr. That's not to say that Plummer is a better Quarterback than Carr, but that if David Carr is the starting Quarterback for the 2007 Houston Texans, we are headed nowhere. DC is just not going to do anything in Houston. Period.

Best Case Scenario would be to draft either Landry or Nelson in the first, and Troy Smith in the second. Entering next year, we would have Rosenfels as the starter and Smith waiting in the wings. Tell me a scenario that's better than that.

Oh yeah, and we trade DC for a third round pick, and sign Michael Turner in the offseason to compete with Taylor for the Starting RB role.

Can anybody say 16-0?

A Texan
01-01-2007, 11:02 AM

Sage certainly merits a chance; not the shabby treatment he got from the Texans. And he obviouly did a much better job in the same game than did Carr. I don't think Plummer is the long term answer but I can't imagine him being worse than Carr.

highroller28
01-01-2007, 11:09 AM
I would love to keep carr next year, but also bring in plummer. Let them battle it out. I would just hate to spend a draft pick on a QB when we are close to becoming a playoff team, but we need to fill other holes. Honestly, the quarterback position isn't a desperate need to fix right now. Our other cornerback, other linebackers, safetys, o linemen, interior d linemen, THOSE ARE NEEDS, not so much quarterback. I am kind of neutral on the whole Carr deal. I want to keep him, because I believe he hasn't been given a legit shot, but I also do not want to baby him and I don't really feel like waiting around to see if hes going to make it or not. He is not young, we arent an expansion team, and your o line is going to be legit next season. I want to see if he can step up and be a pro bowl quarterback like he should be, becuase he certainly has the talent, he just needs to put it all together. And I think bringing in competition, might help him put it all together.

I'm with you. I'd like to see, if Carr returns, him have to WIN the position as opposed to giving it to him uncontested. What difference does it really make if he's making a boatload of money or not--you still have the same dollars allocated to the position anyway. Whatever you have to do in the interest of winning should always trump the expense of doing so, particularly when it's already fixed.

Battle Red
01-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I would like to see the team look at Matt Schaub. He's young and looks to have a lot of potential and could contribute on game 1.

houstonhurricane
01-01-2007, 11:32 AM

and a pretty strong running attack...

edo783
01-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Not that I think Jake is that much, if any, upgrade over Carr (probably is just from an experiance standpoint). However, if he were here in the caretaker position (2 year contract?) the fan base would be mollified. The VY crowd would have gotten their hated player gone, the Carr crowd would have a similar player to pull for ( more of the riverboat gambler type though) and the rest of us could concentrate on what is/isn't happening in the offseason were it counts....the lines.

aj.
01-01-2007, 11:50 AM
The VY crowd would have gotten their hated player gone, .

All too common misperception that everyone who wants a change at QB is part of the "VY crowd" or "hates" Carr.

Give some fans the benefit of having a brain and being able to make assessments of players because they are able to see the shades of gray.

I wanted Vince after he declared, but he quickly became the enemy on Draft Day '06.

I also said that I would like to see how Carr functions in Kubiak's offense. After a year, I have seen enough.

I want a change.

South Texan
01-01-2007, 11:51 AM
With the holes in the O-Line and secondary, the cap hit, and McNair's feelings about Carr, I don't see us placing top priority on a QB. I also don't think Kubiak's system need's the best QB in the league to work well, if the running game is solid.

My advice to the front office: make sure you keep Sage and put Carr on a very short leash. Spend a lot of time scouting QB's that will be available in 2008.

My advice to Kubiak: move Carr into your spare bedroom and preach football at him 26 hours a day.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 11:57 AM
With the holes in the O-Line and secondary, the cap hit, and McNair's feelings about Carr, I don't see us placing top priority on a QB. I also don't think Kubiak's system need's the best QB in the league to work well, if the running game is solid.

My advice to the front office: make sure you keep Sage and put Carr on a very short leash. Spend a lot of time scouting QB's that will be available in 2008.

My advice to Kubiak: move Carr into your spare bedroom and preach football at him 26 hours a day.

If he does'nt move in to the spare room then he should be chained to a VCR at the praitice facility and made to watch game film of every DEF. he will face this year so maybe he will have a clue at how to read a Def. Before he takes a snap.

5stringJeff
01-01-2007, 02:45 PM
How about Jeff Garcia? He's a respected veteran who can lead an offense.

aj.
01-01-2007, 03:30 PM
He's busy leading the Eagles to the NFC championship game.

I bet you and I are the only ones on the board who know where 'Pee Wallup' is. I have family in Bonney Lake... Nice part of the country up there....

5stringJeff
01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
He's busy leading the Eagles to the NFC championship game.

I bet you and I are the only ones on the board who know where 'Pee Wallup' is. I have family in Bonney Lake... Nice part of the country up there....

Excellent! Unfortunately, we're leaving this summer, as I'm headed to graduate school in NY.

But, after Donovan McNabb comes back, do you think the Eagels will hold on the Garcia? He obviously has the skills to start pretty much anywhere, so if we dump Carr, then he seems like the most obvious choice.

GP
01-01-2007, 04:33 PM

Good post.

I agree with all of your points.

Kubiak would not bring a similarly mentally-challenged QB when he's already got one. Plummer = Carr , IMO.

I think we're going either OL or DL, unless we move down and then we'd be going DB with a move toward Landry from LSU...sort of like the Cowboys when they went with Roy Williams. Going DB in the first round is never a popular move with fans because fans think that offensive players or the DL guys in the trenches are sexier picks than the ones who roam off-screen on the TV.

Look at what PacMan Jones has done for the Titans. He's been in a lot of highlights this year, despite his off-field antics. Look at the Falcons DB, DeAngelo Hall (correct?): He's playing great ball. DBs are important, and the good ones are usually found in the first round if you ask me.

Kubiak has been able to find Spencer in the THIRD round. I think he likes his chances of continuing that trend.

I will say that Branch from Michigan would be a nice fit in the middle of the DL with his massive size and run-stuffing ability. Getting a guy with that kind of combination of size, strength and quickness, and the benefit of having played in big games, has me thinking that he's about the best option for our DL if we went that route in the first round.

Here is how I think Kubiak will approach the draft:

He'll count on Spencer coming back, but willl wait until round two or three to pick up an OL insurance policy. Sadly, I think he's going to stick with almost all of the OL he's had this year. He'll draft OL for depth moreso than for starter potential, but he'll make sure they get a chance to start if they can prove it like Spencer did.

He'll stay in the same spot with our first pick, and will bleed out some other team that wants to move up for our pick...securing an extra pick for us. OR, if the offer isn't good enough, he'll stay at our original spot and draft either a DL (first preference) or a DB.

OL will most likely get attention by the 2nd round or the 3rd at the latest. Don't rule out a LB as he might try and steal another Demeco Ryans again.

I see us taking WR/RB/QB very late.

It will be a boring draft for most Texans fans because it's all about the big uglies this year.

I'll be happy with DL or DB in the first round. I think there's some star quality on the D side of the ball this year, especially DL and DB.

Joe Thomas will be a top 3 pick. Period.

By the way, can the NFL just do away with the Raiders? They are practically wasting good draft position and talent every year. And the Lions are not far behind them.

I might be a homer for saying this, but I'll say it: We're leaps and bounds ahead of those two teams.

Thank you, Al Davis. Can't you just get out of the way? Sell the team, let it move to L.A., and just be done with it.

uhcougar08
01-01-2007, 06:50 PM

So what you are saying is......Kubiak is an *****, and if he keeps Carr, then he doesn't know what he is doing? Maybe we can have Coach Kubes be the QB. If you are going to make a statement like that, atleast have something to back that up with. I hate people who say Carr has to go, and then can not come up with a solution. OK, if Carr is not the man, then we should just go in the backyard and get a new QB from the QB tree. I do not have any problem replacing Carr, but the new QB has to be better, and I am sorry, there is not a single rookie or free agent that is better than Carr. Anybody is an upgrade.......... is the worst crap I have ever heard.

Rightnow
01-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't understand people saying Jake will be no better than Carr.

1. Jake and Kubiak have a winning record. Granted the Texans aren't as good ad the Broncos, but look at the Broncos without Jake this year. They couldn't get into the playoffs.

2. Jake isn't shell-shocked like David. If everything else is equal, Jake hasn't been hit as much.

3. Fresh starts are almost always a good thing. Carr will probably do well elsewhere and Jake will most likely do well in Houston.

the wonger need food
01-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Plummer has 63 TD's in his last 3 seasons. David Carr doesn't have 60 in 5 years.

Plummer has won playoff games. David Carr has never had a winning season.

In the past 2 seasons Carr has 43 passes over 20 yards. Plummer had more than that last year.

Exactly how are these guys similar?

skillz24
01-01-2007, 09:39 PM
So what you are saying is......Kubiak is an *****, and if he keeps Carr, then he doesn't know what he is doing? Maybe we can have Coach Kubes be the QB. If you are going to make a statement like that, atleast have something to back that up with. I hate people who say Carr has to go, and then can not come up with a solution. OK, if Carr is not the man, then we should just go in the backyard and get a new QB from the QB tree. I do not have any problem replacing Carr, but the new QB has to be better, and I am sorry, there is not a single rookie or free agent that is better than Carr. Anybody is an upgrade.......... is the worst crap I have ever heard.

Don't worry the dumbasses that keep saying this are fair weather fans and don't cheer for anybody who isn't a winner. i'll bet they have steelers merchandise too.

welsh texan
01-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Move to America buddy!! In all seriousness though, if you get satellite TV in Wales, do you get all the NFL games? Not sure how that works in other countries.

We get Satellite yeh but it doesn't carry the same channels as you guys get, we get NASN but that costs extra and im a poor student.

I've got this thing on my PC called TVU player which i can get all US tv on streamed from China, but it isn't 100% legit so in my halls of residence at uni it's ports get blocked, and i'm not going to risk getting kicked out of my accomodation to get around it lol.

Sky sports and 5 do a decent job to be fair, they put on NFL which has very few fans over here, premier league re-runs would probably get better ratings if i'm honest.

My pops lives over in Houston and i'm seriously considering taking either a year out over there or maybe studying at Houston Uni for a year which would allow me to get a season ticket at the NFL, Baseball and Basketball and stuff, which would be really cool, the only problem is that i'd be paying for accom both here and over there, and have to run 2 cars and everything, and prolly couldn't get a green card to earn the to do it, so i may have to put it on hold for a year or 2 until i'm in the financial position.

TexanSam
01-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Here is how I think Kubiak will approach the draft:

He'll count on Spencer coming back, but willl wait until round two or three to pick up an OL insurance policy. Sadly, I think he's going to stick with almost all of the OL he's had this year. He'll draft OL for depth moreso than for starter potential, but he'll make sure they get a chance to start if they can prove it like Spencer did.

Kubiak has said that if they count any player that injured on returning to form, then they probably won't be a very good football team. He said this when referring to Spencer. He also meant it about Domanick Williams/Davis. I don't think he's going to count on Spencer being back, especially since his career may be done.

SamuraiSword
01-07-2007, 02:25 AM

Wasn't Plummer 7-2 before he was forced out of Denver? Then Cutler took over and didn't do so well which led to a loss at home to the 49'ers in the last game. He (Plummer) was awesome when he was being coached under Kubiak and I can see that happen again next season. This is Kubiak we are dealing with here. He likes his ex-bronco players because they know the system.

:aikido:

SamuraiSword
01-07-2007, 02:29 AM
Plummer has 63 TD's in his last 3 seasons. David Carr doesn't have 60 in 5 years.

Plummer has won playoff games. David Carr has never had a winning season.

In the past 2 seasons Carr has 43 passes over 20 yards. Plummer had more than that last year.

Exactly how are these guys similar?

They are just afraid Plummer will make Carr look like a rookie QB when it comes time for the QB competition. :hides:

Jake or Schaub is fine by me.

hot pickle
01-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Vick
Garcia
Plummer
Schaub
Sage

all better then carr

carr is broken, get it throw your head

kubiak might be able to fix him in the next 3 eyars but who wants to wait that long

cadahnic
01-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Wasn't Plummer 7-2 before he was forced out of Denver? Then Cutler took over and didn't do so well which led to a loss at home to the 49'ers in the last game. He (Plummer) was awesome when he was being coached under Kubiak and I can see that happen again next season. This is Kubiak we are dealing with here. He likes his ex-bronco players because they know the system.

:aikido:

No, Plummer was at 7-2 then lost two straight games in horrible fashion before getting benched. Cutler lost his first two starts but then won his next two to get them back in the wild card picture before they lost to San Fran, in the process Cutler became the first QB ever to throw 2 TDs in each of his first four starts. Plummer had been under heat since his playoff meltdown last year, especially after they drafted Cutler this last draft. Yes Plummer has experience in this system but look at this:

Jake Plummer in their system this year with a vastly superior team around him (obviously without Kubiak though):
175/317 (55.2%) for 1994 yards, 11 TDs, 13 INTs (68.8 rating)

David Carr in our system this year with poor talent around him (with Kubiak):
302/442 (68.3%) for 2767 yards, 11 TDs, 12 INTs (82.1 rating)

Carr was able to do more in the same system with a lot less talent around him this year. I don't see the point of bringing Plummer in to replace Carr. If you bring him in for competition then you have Carr, Plummer, and presumably Rosenfels, which is more QBs that they typically carry and it leaves no room for a rookie to be groomed or Quinton Porter and Van Pelt. Carr isn't going anywhere, face it.

Cruuuuuuuz
01-13-2007, 03:00 AM
Get ready cuz he's coming...

ATX
01-13-2007, 03:23 AM
Why do you say this? Obviously he's a Fa and he worked under Kubiak, but why you think he's heading to Houston?

HOOK'EM
01-13-2007, 04:36 AM
He will be a upgrade over Carr.:dance3:

HomeBred_Texan
01-13-2007, 06:31 AM

No he isn't, it will set us back 5 years....

Maddict5
01-13-2007, 06:53 AM
hes not a FA i dont think

srstex
01-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Jake will do for the Carr what he did for Cutler, he will also rely on everyone else but himself, since he not only sucks but he blows as well.

MightyTExan
01-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Great! Now we can bash Carr and Plummer!
Seriously though, I think he would be a slight upgrade over Carr, but at least he's won some games.

amazingandre
01-13-2007, 09:43 AM
he won games with a great defense who didnt allow many points....they dont score much more than we do....so he isnt an upgrade.....

TexanSam
01-13-2007, 10:55 AM
he won games with a great defense who didnt allow many points....they dont score much more than we do....so he isnt an upgrade.....

Sure he's an upgrade. He had success with Kubiak. I don't think it's coincidence that after Kubiak left Denver to become the HC here, their offense didn't play as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Jake Plummer here. He had his best years of his career with Kubes as his QB coach and the offensive coordinator. I don't see any reason why he couldn't have the same amount of success, or close to it at least, here.

powerfuldragon
01-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him here to create a little competition for the starting spot, but to bring him in as a no-contest starter would be stupid IMO.

old football fan
01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Bring Plummer in as the OF Coor. not as a player

edo783
01-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him here to create a little competition for the starting spot, but to bring him in as a no-contest starter would be stupid IMO.

Spot on PD.

MrMeToo
01-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Yes he would...

MrMeToo
01-13-2007, 12:09 PM

I don't need proof.5 years of Carr's play wasn't enough for you.You ****.

carter08
01-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Carr may very well be better than Plummer, but the thing is the Texans need a new QB. Carr has not and will not succeed here in Houston. Plummer does not have the bad memories of playing on a depleted Texan O-Line

MorKnolle
01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Why do you say this? Obviously he's a Fa and he worked under Kubiak, but why you think he's heading to Houston?

Plummer isn't a free agent yet. He has said he doesn't intend to stick around in Denver and be a backup, but there is no guarantee that Shanahan will cut him loose with no other backup set on the roster. Cutler looked pretty good in his few starts this year, but losing Plummer will leave them with only one QB on their current roster, one that only has 5 games of starting experience, plus this is shaping up to be a pretty thin free agent class among QBs right now, barring other releasings.

I'm not real sold on Plummer. He had three pretty solid seasons with Kubiak in Denver but still was never especially spectacular in any of those seasons, and the rest of his career has been marred by inconsistent play and turnovers, including this season with Denver in which he played worse than Carr did. While he is obviously experienced with this offense and has had some success with it and could push Carr for the starting spot, he is already 32 years old, and is far from a long-term solution. That leaves us with him and Carr, meaning we pay Rosenfels $1.6 million against our cap to be a 3rd string QB in a system that generally only retains 2 QBs, or else we take a $1.5 million cap hit to move him or a $4 million cap hit to move Carr, then have to bring in a rookie QB as well, on top of whatever salary Plummer is going to expect. If he is expeting to be a starting QB somewhere I can guarantee that he is going to expect to get paid like one.

dbspi
01-13-2007, 02:35 PM

Plummer = Carr

We need better option at this position.

shinerbock_girl
01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Plummer = Carr

We need better option at this position.

I think we'd still be in the same boat with Plummer...BTW, Kool Avatar....

yourfavoritetexan42
01-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't understand people saying Jake will be no better than Carr.

1. Jake and Kubiak have a winning record. Granted the Texans aren't as good ad the Broncos, but look at the Broncos without Jake this year. They couldn't get into the playoffs.

2. Jake isn't shell-shocked like David. If everything else is equal, Jake hasn't been hit as much.

3. Fresh starts are almost always a good thing. Carr will probably do well elsewhere and Jake will most likely do well in Houston.

Becasue Plummer through more interceptions in 8 games then carr did in 16, and plummer was playing with a playoff team while Carr was playing with a 2-14 team.

Mr. White
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Becasue Plummer through more interceptions in 8 games then carr did in 16, and plummer was playing with a playoff team while Carr was playing with a 2-14 team.

He also threw more TDs in that same period than Carr did all season. While you're looking up stats, why don't you also check passes completed for more than 20 yards.

mancunian
01-13-2007, 05:58 PM

they were on just once this year which was the game against the Raiders, you were right about the Bengals game and the year before Colts at home and Jets away.

We've had 4 games in 3 seasons.

houtxcoog
01-14-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't need proof.5 years of Carr's play wasn't enough for you.You ****.

HAHAHAHAAAHAHA!

He only needs another year - lets give him another year!
Till the next year that is - then we will have more excuses for him and give him another year!

Carr SUCKS!

houtxcoog
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Plummer is not really an upgrade to Carr but you gotta cut off the head of this cancer we have in Houston. We need a change at the position - Is Trent Dilfer still around - lol.