PDA

View Full Version : Whats your offseason wishlist?!

Imatexanfan
12-31-2006, 04:10 PM
A little early, but since the season is over, might as well have something to talk about.

Anyone have a clue when the Texans will pick in the draft now?

Peterson, Quinn, Hall, Branch are probably all out of reach now.

My vote is for ol' Joe Thomas in the first, with a CB or S in the 2nd.

Build the rest of the O-Line through FA.

Carr played for his job today and failed horribly. Hopefully, it will be a vet QB (and not Plummer!) Thats if he's still here.

What is on everyone's Offseason wishlist?

Mine.............Joe Thomas in the draft and Nate Clements in the FA.

HJam72
12-31-2006, 04:12 PM
If Hall does happen to fall to us, I want him. That's about all I have to say.

MrMeToo
12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Just get Carr out of here.

Grid
12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
A replacement at QB (plummer)
A rookie QB if a good one is available to us for a good price
A rookie DT
A rookie FS, or a FA FS if a good one is available
Lots more rookie olinemen

Imatexanfan
12-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Just get Carr out of here.

Wow well put, and to the point.lol:

leachmtb
12-31-2006, 04:16 PM
I would say
OT in first round
S in the second
LB in the third (maybe Kolb in the third only if after the first two rounds, otherwise, not worth it)

Pick up a CB in free agency

Honoring Earl 34
12-31-2006, 04:19 PM
How about this ... I would draft defense first again . It could be the BPA at S , CB , OLB , or Branch .

Why ... because in 2008 OTs like Long , Baker , and Gaither will come out . QBs like Brohm , Brennen , and Russell will come out .

Goldeagle
12-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Free Agents:
CLEMENTS
Stenbach
Dockery

Draft: (one of these guys)
Joe Thomas (OT)
Adrian Peterson (RB)
Reggie Nelson (FS)
Laron Landry (S)

2nd round: Offensive Line

3rd Round:
A good OLB to help Demeco

Napa Auto Parts
12-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Bring in T.O after dallas cuts him.

Rip up davids contract and give him one similar to peyton manning with 25% increase cost of living is going up.

get rid of AJ he drops to many balls.

:sarcasm:

Spled
12-31-2006, 05:09 PM
I hope they don't make a quarterback change, but if they do they should go to Sage and draft Troy Smith.

threetoedpete
12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
We should have our pick of the CBs and safteis. The o-line tallent drops way off after Thomas. He won't fall out of the top five. Hollywood John McClain has them going offense accroding to his inside source. Your guess is as good as mine. QB prospect, Ginn Jr. , All Day...who knows. The value on the board where we pick...nineth, is defense. We'll see.

swtbound07
12-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Assuming we are probalby only going to be able to get starting caliber players out of our top 4 picks, here is how i would like to see our draft shake up

1st pick, LaRon Landry.
I think A good free safety will relieve some of the pressure on robinson and faggins and go a long way towards building a good secondary

2nd pick, Buster Davis, OLB, FSU.
The guy makes plays, and if he should fall that far he would be a major steal. Ryans, Greenwood, and Davis would be a formidable corp. Im comfortable with babin/peek/weaver/maddox/johnson/cochran/thomas johnson being our d-line rotation. Im not comfortable with our back 7.

3rd pick, Best available o-line
I believe with spencer coming back, and the experience winston has, and pitts being a good versatile o-lineman, that things aren't as bleak as we think. Obviously we can get the job done running the ball, and a lot of the sacks we took were coverage related.

4. Developmental quarterback.

kfranco_utexas
12-31-2006, 05:17 PM
A.B.C

Anyone But CARR!:shades:

threetoedpete
12-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Which means you can pretty much lock up another forty sack season by our o-line in '07.

Maddict5
12-31-2006, 05:25 PM
thats the good thing about this years draft- i dont really care who we pick cos they will help and we'll be happy no matter who we get...no early rb (AP) though im happy with dayne and taylor- any of: jamarcus russell, troy smith(2nd), joe thomas, quinton gaithers, gaines adams, branch, okoye (2nd), buster davis (2nd), hall or any of the other cbs, laron or nelson

later on beef up the o-line, lbs, db's further

i think we'll get a couple decent players in FA but no huge signings

valleytexfan
12-31-2006, 05:28 PM
LaRon Landry!! Of course if Joe Thomas is no longer available...

swtbound07
12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Which means yo0u can pretty much lock up another forty sack season by our o-line in '07.

I blame the person under center for the sacks more than i blame the protection. You can't pump fake on a 3 step drop.

Honoring Earl 34
12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
You can't draft an OT in the first if he's a second round talent .

Honoring Earl 34
12-31-2006, 05:34 PM
I blame the person under center for the sacks more than i blame the protection. You can't pump fake on a 3 step drop.

Carr hater ... wait VY lover .... wait .... both . Jk ... hows the family ?

threetoedpete
12-31-2006, 05:35 PM

Well you'll get to see in spades next year with your list. What are you going to do SWT if Kubes disagrees with your assement ?

Johnny Utah
12-31-2006, 05:38 PM
No way is Joe Thomas falling to us. He is rated on many draft sites as being the best overall player in the entire draft.

LT Levi Brown out of Penn State is graded as a middle first round pick so he may be on our radar since we are now picking 10th. Lynch would also be nice.

Maddict5
12-31-2006, 05:45 PM

im no carr fan but i think carr's play and our playcalls are a symptom of our current o-line.. notice how carr and the passing games performance dropped dramatically as the o-line injuries mounted during the season..

The Pencil Neck
12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
At this point, it's just really WAY too early to have even the faintest of ideas of where people are going to go.

Why don't we wait until at least after the combine and a couple of pro days before we start trying to figure out who we need and who's falling to where. I mean, I remember last year about this time and people had Demeco as a top 10 pick, then he dropped all the way to 33 (thankfully for us.) Let's give it a little time and see how things shake out.

bigcarlos
12-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Last year I said to get rid of Carr, and all I got was neg:tease: . this year many agree.:shades: . I want Peterson, but if not then a defensive player will be okay:ok:

IshouldbeGM
12-31-2006, 05:50 PM
qb jeff garcia

s laron landry/de gaines adams 1st rd

Imatexanfan
12-31-2006, 05:56 PM
qb jeff garcia

s laron landry/de gaines adams 1st rd

Sorry dude Garcia is getting an extension according to scout.com

:secret: I just wonder what is up with McNabb's mom she's tripping on if the Eagles are gonna get rid of him and/or trade him, saying that its gonna be worse than the TO fiasco last year.........wow!

TexanSam
12-31-2006, 06:00 PM
My wishlist:

I wish that we could trade up and draft either Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams. I would love to see an Adams/Williams duo at DE.

I wish that we draft Kevin Kolb in the 3rd round and he sits for a year or two to develop. We then trade Carr for a 5th round pick, and sign Damon Huard. Both Huard and Sage have an open position battle for the QB spot.

I wish that Domanick Davis recovers to full strength, that his knee isn't an issue anymore, and we have between him, Dayne, and Chris Taylor too choose from and thus ridding ourselves of having to draft a running back.

I wish that Charles Spencer recovers fully.

Maddict5
12-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Last year I said to get rid of Carr, and all I got was neg:tease: . this year many agree.:shades: . I want Peterson, but if not then a defensive player will be okay:ok:

even after the last few weeks??- rb and wr are the only areas i dont really want addressed in the 1st rd.. but still thats the thing about this draft- il be happy with nearly anybody we take- even jamarcus russell.. last yr i really didnt want VY (i was badly mistaken i know) but this yr im not bothered

Baranghoori
12-31-2006, 06:11 PM
What this team needs to do is draft a stud CB, FS, and OL.

With free agency, we can address our lesser needs, such as QB/RB.

aggieNzona
12-31-2006, 06:18 PM
I think the 1st rounder has to be a D-back. I would go Rb in the 2nd or 3rd, I like the FSU guy, then bring in a vet QB to challange or start in place of Carr.
Otherwise draft fro depth, lots of O & D lineman!

YoungTexanFan
12-31-2006, 06:50 PM
The offseason according to YoungTexanFan...initially.

Carr is shopped around in a trade, asking price of 3rd round. Settle for 4th if we have to. If nobody bites, cut him.

Sage becomes our starter.

I want us to aggressivly persue Nate Clements. I want us to throw money at the guy and attempt to convince him of being what turns us around. Show him we are close and then close the deal. That would be a fine FA period for me. I would also go after Stienbach, but I don't think our cap room will be enough to land two premier players. I take Clements anyways.

In the draft, after securing Clements:

1. JT if available. Our RBs of Dayne and Taylor have proved to be good enough for me to not go AP or Lynch. If they falter, next years RB crop is quite possibly the best in history. I feel confident enough with Sage as our starter to stay away from a QB controversy this year. I think our pick should be Reggie Nelson.

2. Okoye would be a very good DT, but is more of a pure run stopper than pennatrator. He is an ideal 3-4 NT. I might look Blaylock here as I see him falling. I also like Robert Meachem, because he is a top 20 talent and AJ clone. I might look Ryan Young at OC, but I don't think he is value here and is GINORMIOUS. I would probally go with Earl Everett here for our team. He will be one of the fastest LB's in the draft and is a playmaker. 1st round guy who shoud slip through the cracks.

3. In the third, I believe we can still get starters for our team. With the selection of Everett, that should rule out Dan Conor. I think Aaron Sears or Ben Grubbs would be our best picks. Ryan Kailh also warrents consideration. I would also take a good look at Brian Leonard. I feel that Ben Grubbs would be the BPA and fill a huge void.

4. Yet again, I truely believe we can find starters for our team in this round. To start the second day, we should be looking for value picks. I think Doug Datish or Ryan Kailh would be excellent choices. We may look at Joe Staley but I feel that a high motor, top pennatrating DT like Brandon Mebane will be our pick.

It is too early to speculate more.

Recap:

Carr is moved, and even if traded, for purpose of ease...we would get a next year pick. Sage starts and we draft our QB next year.

Chris Taylor looked like DD in his first game against the Dolphins today. I think Taylor and Dayne would be an ideal combo at RB and we can avoid a high pick RB now.

Faggins is not a starting CB and Robinson is not a #1 CB. Clements is both. Pro Bowl player in his prime.

We add a big time OG from a SEC powerhouse. Weary can now move to OC where he was the #1 prospect in his draft class. Pitts stays at LG. Spencer comes back ideally, but I think Winston can slide over if needed.

We add a fast, playmaking LB to DeMeco Ryans. Everett is an OLB who is very instinctual.

We get a high motor DT who excells at pennatrating and attacking the QB. We cause offenses to ease up on what will be a healthy Mario by giving them another player they actually need to block. I saw Mario TRIPPLE TEAMED many times today. That is crazy.

After adding Clements, we finish shoring up our secondary with a big hitting, play making, ball hawking FS. He reminds me of a bigger D-rob. Eletric, Wirery frame that loves laying people out and can make a play on the ball with very good speed.

mexican_texan
12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Mine is simple. I want new safeties and a #1 corner.

axman40
12-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Peace on earth and good will for men and women!

:tease:

beerlover
12-31-2006, 06:56 PM
The offseason according to YoungTexanFan...initially.

Carr is shopped around in a trade, asking price of 3rd round. Settle for 4th if we have to. If nobody bites, cut him.

Sage becomes our starter.

I want us to aggressivly persue Nate Clements. I want us to throw money at the guy and attempt to convince him of being what turns us around. Show him we are close and then close the deal. That would be a fine FA period for me. I would also go after Stienbach, but I don't think our cap room will be enough to land two premier players. I take Clements anyways.

In the draft, after securing Clements:

1. JT if available. Our RBs of Dayne and Taylor have proved to be good enough for me to not go AP or Lynch. If they falter, next years RB crop is quite possibly the best in history. I feel confident enough with Sage as our starter to stay away from a QB controversy this year. I think our pick should be Reggie Nelson.

2. Okoye would be a very good DT, but is more of a pure run stopper than pennatrator. He is an ideal 3-4 NT. I might look Blaylock here as I see him falling. I also like Robert Meachem, because he is a top 20 talent and AJ clone. I might look Ryan Young at OC, but I don't think he is value here and is GINORMIOUS. I would probally go with Earl Everett here for our team. He will be one of the fastest LB's in the draft and is a playmaker. 1st round guy who shoud slip through the cracks.

3. In the third, I believe we can still get starters for our team. With the selection of Everett, that should rule out Dan Conor. I think Aaron Sears or Ben Grubbs would be our best picks. Ryan Kailh also warrents consideration. I would also take a good look at Brian Leonard. I feel that Ben Grubbs would be the BPA and fill a huge void.

4. Yet again, I truely believe we can find starters for our team in this round. To start the second day, we should be looking for value picks. I think Doug Datish or Ryan Kailh would be excellent choices. We may look at Joe Staley but I feel that a high motor, top pennatrating DT like Brandon Mebane will be our pick.

Recap:

Carr is moved, and even if traded, for purpose of ease...we would get a next year pick. Sage starts and we draft our QB next year.

Chris Taylor looked like DD in his first game against the Dolphins today. I think Taylor and Dayne would be an ideal combo at RB and we can avoid a high pick RB now.

Faggins is not a starting CB and Robinson is not a #1 CB. Clements is both. Pro Bowl player in his prime.

We add a big time OG from a SEC powerhouse. Weary can now move to OC where he was the #1 prospect in his draft class. Pitts stays at LT. Spencer comes back ideally, but I think Winston can slide over if needed.

We add a fast, playmaking LB to DeMeco Ryans. Everett is an OLB who is very instinctual.

We get a high motor DT who excells at pennatrating and attacking the QB. We cause offenses to ease up on what will be a healthy Mario by giving them another player they actually need to block. I saw Mario TRIPPLE TEAMED many times today. That is crazy.

After adding Clements, we finish shoring up our secondary with a big hitting, play making, ball hawking FS. He reminds me of a bigger D-rob. Eletric, Wirery frame that loves laying people out and can make a play on the ball with very good speed.

well done :)

YoungTexanFan
12-31-2006, 07:05 PM
well done :)

Thanks, I thought so as well. :yes:

Maddict5
12-31-2006, 07:15 PM

is leonard that fb from rutgers?? if so- no thanks im plenty happy with leach

YoungTexanFan
12-31-2006, 07:19 PM
is leonard that fb from rutgers?? if so- no thanks im plenty happy with leach

Yes, he is. He is the best FB to come along in a long time, but I agree, I am happy with Leach. That is why I went a different dirrection with our pick. My suggested pick for the Texans is in Bolded RED.:)

mexican_texan
12-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh right, I almost forgot.

Punter and Kicker.

Imatexanfan
12-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh right, I almost forgot.

Punter and Kicker.

I'm with u on the punter, theres way better punters than chad:tease:

Texas_Thrill
12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
My off-season wish list.

Alan Branch (if he comes out.)

Michael Lewis, SS. Use to be one of the NFL's best young safeties and now just a back up for the Eagles. Probably a change of scenery will do him well.

Those are my two primary.

Mr teX
12-31-2006, 08:25 PM
1st round: FS or D-Linemen (landry, Nelson) or (Branch, Moses)

2nd round: CB or LT

3rd round: LB or QB

Free agency in this order: CB, LB, QB

afcman
12-31-2006, 08:28 PM
A d**n good draft!!!!!! Happy New Year.

TexanSam
12-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks, I thought so as well. :yes:

I feel dumb asking this, but is OC the center? :hides:

YoungTexanFan
12-31-2006, 10:13 PM
I feel dumb asking this, but is OC the center? :hides:

Yesum. Sometimes I use just "C", sometimes I use "OC"

OC = offensive center

mexican_texan
12-31-2006, 10:20 PM
I'll add Offensive Coordinator to the list.

edo783
12-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Yesum. Sometimes I use just "C", sometimes I use "OC"

OC = offensive center

I'll add Offensive Coordinator to the list.

You have to kind of watch the context that it's used in as it could mean both things.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Lots of holes on our team BUT I think thay can all be addresed in one off season throught FA and the Draft.

1) Get a D-Lineman that can take some of the pressure off of MW. I like Sands in FA here. The reason I say DL first is because of something Smith said early in preseason, he want pressure from the front four and from what I heard this season we did not get this. (keep in mind I dont get to SEE the game I'm going by what I read on the MB and here on the radio.) Would also like to see us go after a second tier OLB in FA would LOVE Briggs but IMO I dont see Da' Bears letting he go. My pipe dream would be to steal Frenney form Indy. to go opp. Mario. (like that would EVER happen.)LOL
2) FS/CB MUST do something to help our DB's. Samuels/Clements would be great but dont know if they would consiter playing in Hou.(also dont know if we can/will pay the $$$$ thay are going to be asking for) Since we will be picking around #10 in the draft Landry would not be to much of a streach so I say take him.
3) Depending on what we have done in FA the second pick needs to be a OL/DL man might be to early in the draft for some but we can get the best player avib. and he can make a inpact now.(ref. DeMeco Rayns)
4) Third pick of our draft go the Opp. of our 2nd pick. OL/DL best player avib.
5) Second day of the draft. These picks are where Coach K normally starts looking for RB's, and Utility player (ref. Lundy, Daniels, and Anderson from last year) Dont think we will be looking for a QB this year maybe next. Think we should try to find back-up O-linemen in these later rounds to help with depth. Would also like to try and find a punter in the 6th or 7th round along with a place kicker.

Build form the inside out OL/DL and a couple of skill players, use last years draft as a stepping stone and continue to build the DEF. put impact players around DeMeco, Mario, and D-Rob get DEPTH at O-Line and let Coach K earn his "title" as QB guru with DC.

That's my Two Cents.

South Texan
01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
If you can believe the CBS commentator, he claims that in an interview Kubiak said the priority is the O-Line.

TexanSam
01-01-2007, 01:19 PM
If you can believe the CBS commentator, he claims that in an interview Kubiak said the priority is the O-Line.

Better damn well be. It should have priority in Year 1. And Year 2. And Year 3. And Year 4 as well.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
01-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Better damn well be. It should have priority in Year 1. And Year 2. And Year 3. And Year 4 as well.

Can't fault Coach K on that it was Capers and Casterly show then. Coach K's first draft was very impressive IMO just hope we dont get our hopes to high for this years draft.