PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need another running back?

yourfavoritetexan42
12-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Alright, lets look at our running back situation right now.

We have Domanick Davis coming back, who was a top 10 back in the nfl for a few years has great speed and vision and an awesome passing threat out of the backfield, when healthy, he is very hard to contain.

We have Ron Dayne, who provides all the power any football team would need. All time leading rusher in college, can find the zone, and rumbles bumbles and stumbles to get every yard out of every play.

We have Chris Taylor, a young talent who is torching the Browns defense right now, who runs with great vision, especially for a young back, and if there is nothing there...he has that "it" to find something (look at his first career TD).

We have Wali Lundy, showed a lot of potential in preseason, and showed flashes of good runs throughout the season, still needs time to grow, but has great overall speed.

That is a 4 back rotation that could be very dangerous when healthy...do we really need to waste a top draft pick on a running back? In my opinion, I think Running Back is something we can check off that check list we have.

AustinJB
12-31-2006, 02:46 PM
We have Domanick Davis coming back, who was a top 10 back in the nfl for a few years has great speed and vision and an awesome passing threat out of the backfield, when healthy, he is very hard to contain.

When HEALTHY, I agree w/ your assessment.

However, it still remains to be seen if DD will EVER play again. You act as if it is a foregone conclusion that he is coming back.

Imatexanfan
12-31-2006, 02:53 PM
IMO no.

:crutch: DD is not playing no more and looks like we have a star in Taylor with more NFL experience he is gonna be a "force to reckon with", sorta speak.

brewhaus
12-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Taylor is running like a mad man today.....geez, he looks great !

FanZilla
12-31-2006, 03:39 PM
no, we need a qb

Johnny Utah
12-31-2006, 03:48 PM
No, the Texans still need to acquire another RB whether it's in the first, second, or third round. Ron Dayne has never been a great NFL RB, and Chris Taylor has had one good game against a bad team.

rmartin65
12-31-2006, 03:49 PM
DD is probably done. And one good game is not enough to solidify a position.

HJam72
12-31-2006, 04:10 PM
We don't need a RB and we don't need DD. What we need is DBs....and a memory erase for Carr.

DRAMA
12-31-2006, 04:17 PM
The thing about Taylor is he runs fairly heavy even though he's quite quick. Plus, today's game he can't help but be hesitant. But, he does have speed, he does show decent vision for his first game, he does fall forward, and he did use his blockers. All things that can be considered a solid positive for Taylor.

HJam72
12-31-2006, 04:18 PM
The thing about Taylor is he runs fairly heavy even though he's quite quick. Plus, today's game he can't help but be hesitant. But, he does have speed, he does show decent vision for his first game, he does fall forward, and he did use his blockers. All things that can be considered a solid positive for Taylor.

Yeah, plus he kicked butt. :marionaner:

yourfavoritetexan42
12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah...but even without DD... i think we might be alright... DD is kind of the x factor going into next season.

edo783
12-31-2006, 06:29 PM
I think we are probably "OK" to the point were we are not under the gun to take a RB with the first or even first day picks. IMO, our first pick will be totally predicated on the state of Spencer's return. If they are sure he is back full steam, I think they pick someone like Landry, if not they likely get the best LT they can.

Grid
12-31-2006, 06:32 PM
edo, we got Spencer in the third though. Is it possible that LT could wait till the 2nd or 3rd again?

Last year was a really deep class at tackle though, so I imagine to get a similar talent, we would have to draft higher.

It would kind of bother me if we did take an LT in the first.. only because it looks like, from where we will be picking, we are going to have a handful of really good defensive players available to us, at positions that we really need more talent at.

Maddict5
12-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Alright, lets look at our running back situation right now.

We have Ron Dayne, who provides all the power any football team would need. All time leading rusher in college, can find the zone, and rumbles bumbles and stumbles to get every yard out of every play.

We have Chris Taylor, a young talent who is torching the Browns defense right now, who runs with great vision, especially for a young back, and if there is nothing there...he has that "it" to find something (look at his first career TD).

We have Wali Lundy, showed a lot of potential in preseason, and showed flashes of good runs throughout the season, still needs time to grow, but has great overall speed.

That is a 4 back rotation that could be very dangerous when healthy...do we really need to waste a top draft pick on a running back? In my opinion, I think Running Back is something we can check off that check list we have.

Agree 100%... even if DD isnt healthy im happy with them

AggieTexan24
12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
i say we still draft all day if hes available...and then ron dayne would be a solid backup. and since we're the texans im sure someone will get hurt and be out for a while and then we have taylor to fill in.

dat_boy_yec
12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Obviously we don't need a RB. We don't need any position, however we do need to upgrade in a lot of positions. RB is one of them, while our guys are having decent games they are still leaving yards on the field and if I can see that from my seat's than that means they aren't finding yard's that I can't see. Same thing with the CB's we can get by with what we have, but come draft time we need to take the prospect that will give us the biggest upgrade, if that's All Day then why not take him, if it's Cason then why not take him, if it's Nelson or Landry why not. The way I see it All Day represent's to me the biggest upgrade over what we currently have and if he's there we should snatch him up. If he's not there then why force the issue, follow that philosophy who represents the biggest upgrade that's who we should get.

DMars87
12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
i say we do not take a LT high in the draft because the Cardinals will take Joe Thomas and no one else is worth a 6-10 pick. Also, in regards to AD, i think Kubiak has too much faith in his running scheme to draft a RB that high. My vote is with Laron Landry from LSU... but i have no complaints to drafting AD