PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Texans to pursue Clinton Portis in offseason!

David's Busted Carr
12-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I read this on a very credible site that I frequent.

Makes perfect sense! Ladell Betts has really emerged as a legit #1 back and Washington just extended his contract.

Portis had his best season in Denver under Kubiak in the "zone blocking" system.

Restructuring his contract may be an issue, and I'm not sure what it would take to get him, but I say do whatever it takes! You get Portis and draft a top DB in the first round, Kevin Kolb in the 2nd round and we're on out way!

David's Busted Carr
12-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Here is the actual blurb:

Houston may reportedly show interest in Clinton Portis this offseason.

Here we go. Along with Ron Dayne, Portis, who has a history in Gary Kubiak’s scheme, would form one of the league’s premier backfields. This would free up the Texans to choose a first-round defensive back, defensive end, or even quarterback. Re-working Portis’ contract to make it tradable would be the biggest obstacle for a blockbuster like this.

mexican_texan
12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Link?

tulexan
12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
What site is that?

dtran04
12-29-2006, 05:26 PM
We'll get funny interviews at least. :)

Dunta_23
Is there any rumour as to what Washington would want for him? seeing they traded Champ Bailey for him....Im assuming they wouldnt want to "give" him away

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
How are we going to acquire Portis without giving up at least our 1st round pick?

Silver Oak
12-29-2006, 05:27 PM
I think that is getting thrown around as Daniel Snyder is reportedly concerned at his large team payroll.

David's Busted Carr
12-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Just a rumor folks, and I copied and pasted the blurb I read about it.

I have no idea what Washington would want for him, but with Betts I bet they wouldn't mind dumping Portis's salary so it wouldn't cost a "Champ Bailey".

the wonger need food
12-29-2006, 05:31 PM
they wouldn't mind dumping Portis's salary so it wouldn't cost a "Champ Bailey".

That's a good thing since we don't have a "Champ Bailey" to trade.

GuerillaBlack
12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I would give away a second rounder and Samkon Gado for Clinton Portis, not a first round pick.

ryansisgod
12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
hey dont the redskins need a new QB, since brunell is a dinosaur and the new guy whatever is his name is sucks, we could trade carr and a 4th rnder for portis. could be part of kubiaks master plan fo bringin is former broncos like portis and gettin his qb plummer into houston. what do ya'll think. maybe right!

LORK 88
12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Im down for going after Portis, as long as the price is right. He had great sucess with Kubiak, so he could with us. Contracts and actually agreeing on reasonable compensation should kill this unfortunately. It would be a great move for us if we could do it IMo, but I guarantee Washington wants a 1st and we might go as far as a 2nd if talks even reach that far.

ArlingtonTexan
12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I read this on a very credible site that I frequent.

Makes perfect sense! Ladell Betts has really emerged as a legit #1 back and Washington just extended his contract.

Portis had his best season in Denver under Kubiak in the "zone blocking" system.

Restructuring his contract may be an issue, and I'm not sure what it would take to get him, but I say do whatever it takes! You get Portis and draft a top DB in the first round, Kevin Kolb in the 2nd round and we're on out way!

Please provide the link to the credible site or I will be forced to shut this one down.

Dunta_23
12-29-2006, 05:38 PM
http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/crazycrazyportis.jpg

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/1104/5248223_320X240.jpg

Here are just a few of his acts....

tulexan
12-29-2006, 05:39 PM
hey dont the redskins need a new QB, since brunell is a dinosaur and the new guy whatever is his name is sucks, we could trade carr and a 4th rnder for portis. could be part of kubiaks master plan fo bringin is former broncos like portis and gettin his qb plummer into houston. what do ya'll think. maybe right!

No they do not need a QB. That new QB who sucks was their first round pick 2 years ago and is not going anywhere.

Goldeagle
12-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Do we really need another injured RB? With him and DD that will equal 8 games and then Dayne can run the other 8!

prostock101
Ain't gonna happen.......

:pigfly: :pigfly: :pigfly:

the wonger need food

Carr couldn't beat out Campbell or Brunell and really isn't tradable for anything but another marginal NFL player.

It seems that Portis is in the same situation that Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James were a few years ago. They both had huge contracts and their teams wanted very high picks for them. The only way to pick up Portis (without giving up picks) will be to trade a player with similar production. Unfortunately, we just don't have a player like that on this team other than DeMeco Ryans.

TEXANS84
12-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Link, or like Arlington said...the thread gets shut down.

LORK 88
12-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Do we really need another injured RB? With him and DD that will equal 8 games and then Dayne can run the other 8!
In a possible 80 games, he's only missed 12. This is the 1st season he's missed more than 3 games. the reward is definitely worth the risk as long as we dont run him to death like Washington has.

David's Busted Carr
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Here is your link. Read under the Redskins...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-nfcneeds122906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Man you guys are tough!

DenverBorn
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
still would like some help finding the "blurb" you cite -

Sarg01
12-29-2006, 06:35 PM
It seems like speculation by the author of the article.

Nothing wrong with that, though. We speculate all the time 'round here. It's what a message board is for. Me, I'm not a fan of the deal.

SLO Texan
12-29-2006, 06:37 PM
No thank you!!

Running backs come a dime a dozen now days and Kubiak is good at finding ones that don't cost the team high draft picks or money, other good players etc...

The reason Denver has so much success year after year is b/c they turn overlooked guys into 1000 yard rushers and then trade them to fill other needs.

Basically it's a real longshot w/ Kubes as our HC.

Texas_Thrill
12-29-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure what benefit it would be to washington. You need two good backs these days with injuries. I see betts getting a lot more carries yes but that doesn't mean you unload port primarily when you're trying to break in jason campbell at QB.

We'd have to give up more than I think we have room too considering our current need to upgrade talent.

DocBar
12-29-2006, 07:17 PM
I can think of LOTS of players the Texans are interested in!!!

Koolbrz
12-29-2006, 07:24 PM
No thank you!!

Running backs come a dime a dozen now days and Kubiak is good at finding ones that don't cost the team high draft picks or money, other good players etc...

The reason Denver has so much success year after year is b/c they turn overlooked guys into 1000 yard rushers and then trade them to fill other needs.

Basically it's a real longshot w/ Kubes as our HC.

That is why we had such an awesome running game this yr, huh? You can not turn any running back into a star in this offense. First of all you need the o-line then you have to have a back that has great field vision, speed, and toughness. Something we don't have with the backs on this roster. Hopefully we can pick up a top back in the draft or pick up M. Turner. Best back available on the FA market this yr.

SLO Texan
12-29-2006, 07:48 PM
That is why we had such an awesome running game this yr, huh? You can not turn any running back into a star in this offense. First of all you need the o-line then you have to have a back that has great field vision, speed, and toughness. Something we don't have with the backs on this roster. Hopefully we can pick up a top back in the draft or pick up M. Turner. Best back available on the FA market this yr.

Dude did I say that WE the Texans have acomplished this yet? NO.

But that is the philosphy Kubiak will follow. We lost three starters on the O-line this season, so yeah we haven't really ran all that well consistently. Our Offense as a whole has been patchworked and haphazard.

Do you think this years offense is the one Kubiak imagines running in the FUTURE?

My point is that we don't need to give up draft picks or any player/players on our team to acquire Portis. We have too many holes to fill and Kubiak is good at finding guys who are'nt superstars to produce. Ex. C.Taylor, W.Lundy. Both of those guys were found on the 2nd day of the draft and most on the board are excited about Taylor and Lundy has shown promise.

So before you start making sarcastic remarks why don't you actually think about what I wrote.

GuerillaBlack
12-29-2006, 08:00 PM

But that is the philosphy Kubiak will follow. We lost three starters on the O-line this season, so yeah we haven't really ran all that well consistently. Our Offense as a whole has been patchworked and haphazard.

Do you think this years offense is the one Kubiak imagines running in the FUTURE?

My point is that we don't need to give up draft picks or any player/players on our team to acquire Portis. We have too many holes to fill and Kubiak is good at finding guys who are'nt superstars to produce. Ex. C.Taylor, W.Lundy. Both of those guys were found on the 2nd day of the draft and most on the board are excited about Taylor and Lundy has shown promise.

So before you start making sarcastic remarks why don't you actually think about what I wrote.

Are you always like this? You get mad when people don't post in your threads, and now this.

SLO Texan
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Are you always like this? You get mad when people don't post in your threads, and now this.

When did I get "mad", I was just asking for some feedback other than jokes about fish yesterday.

if someone writes something I don't agree with I argue my point as is the POINT of a message board. Thank you for another insightfull response.

ArlingtonTexan
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Here is your link. Read under the Redskins...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-nfcneeds122906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Man you guys are tough!

Thanks. One of the few things we don't have much latitude with.

GuerillaBlack
12-29-2006, 08:35 PM
When did I get "mad", I was just asking for some feedback other than jokes about fish yesterday.

if someone writes something I don't agree with I argue my point as is the POINT of a message board. Thank you for another insightfull response.

Why do you PM me messages like that.

the wonger need food
12-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Ex. C.Taylor, W.Lundy. Both of those guys were found on the 2nd day of the draft and most on the board are excited about Taylor and Lundy has shown promise.

FYI... Taylor was undrafted.

Koolbrz
12-29-2006, 10:52 PM

Too be honest with you i don't think that CT or WL will be around for too long. I give them another yr or two. We need to stop thinking that we can put any back in the backfield and because of the type of offense Kubes is running it is automatically going to produce a 1,000 yd. rusher. Maybe it worked in Denver, WE ARE NOT DENVER!! The team is in the situation it's in at the RB position because of that type of thinking. By the way i thought about what you wrote. I'm just tired of people saying that with this offense we dont need a stud RB. That any RB will do.

IMHO that is not true. Some teams need a stud at the position. We are one of those teams. We need a GAMEBREAKER at the position. Someone who will be a threat everytime he touches the ball, ala LT or LJ. We don't have that with the RB's on this team. That is why i say pick up Turner or pick up the best available RB on the board come draft day. It just makes me sick to see everyone else going after young quality players, Chester Taylor for example, and we wait to find that diamond in the rough. Thats like finding a needle in a hay stack. I'm no longer down with 2nd or 3rd best i want them to pick up the best at that position. I know it's going to cost the team something wether it's money or draft picks, but you have to give something in order to get something. One more thing...Don't get mad!!! Just voicing my opinion. It is a message board is it not??

Second Honeymoon
12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
If you can get Portis and his huge contract for a 2nd rounder, you still gotta jump all over that. I wonder if the Skins would be interested in a David Carr (with a reworked friendlier contract) and a 3rd rounder for Clinton Portis...

Portis and Dayne would be a great 1-2 punch. No bout a dout it.

We can't give up a Top6 pick for Portis though. The 1st round pick is unequivocally off limits. If we are a spot or two ahead of them in draft order, I wouldn't be against a swap as additional compensation.

TexanFan881
12-30-2006, 01:00 AM
If we don't give up a first rounder this would be a great move for our franchise...but we can't overspend like we have in the past with moves like we did for Buchanon. I can definately see us making a move for him though, considering the fact that Smith and Kubiak have already made a ton of moves so far. This offseason will hopefully show us how valuable Smith is going to be for us.

powerfuldragon
12-30-2006, 01:03 AM
http://images.ibsys.com/2005/1104/5248223_320X240.jpg
This is exactly what the texans need.

ATX
12-30-2006, 01:28 AM
I doubt this happens. Just my opinion.

TexansJunkE
12-30-2006, 08:08 AM
no way this happens. Kubes is building this team with young talent. CP has baggageand you will never see this. I can see this is gonna be a long offseason, but with major changes again.

Hulk75
12-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Ain't gonna happen.......

:pigfly: :pigfly: :pigfly:

Yea we were not going to pass on Reggie Bush either, nothing would surprise me after that................

I for one do believe it, but I would not give up a #1 for him, 2 yes if your going to take a RB with that 2nd pick anyways why not take him............

Couple ways you can do this............

1. Takeing a Lineman with the First Pick if there is one good enough and then trading for "Inspector Tu-Tu" for a 2nd.

2. Getting Leonard Davis in the FAs, Trading for Clinton Portis for a #2, Then Drafting a speedy quick WRs( cause I got the feeling Moulds is retiring).

3. Getting Leonard Davis(FA), Trading for Clinton Portis for a #2, Then Drafting a Defensive player.

thunderkyss
12-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Too be honest with you i don't think that CT or WL will be around for too long. I give them another yr or two. We need to stop thinking that we can put any back in the backfield and because of the type of offense Kubes is running it is automatically going to produce a 1,000 yd. rusher. Maybe it worked in Denver, WE ARE NOT DENVER!! The team is in the situation it's in at the RB position because of that type of thinking. By the way i thought about what you wrote. I'm just tired of people saying that with this offense we dont need a stud RB. That any RB will do.

IMHO that is not true. Some teams need a stud at the position. We are one of those teams. We need a GAMEBREAKER at the position. Someone who will be a threat everytime he touches the ball, ala LT or LJ. We don't have that with the RB's on this team. That is why i say pick up Turner or pick up the best available RB on the board come draft day. It just makes me sick to see everyone else going after young quality players, Chester Taylor for example, and we wait to find that diamond in the rough. Thats like finding a needle in a hay stack. I'm no longer down with 2nd or 3rd best i want them to pick up the best at that position. I know it's going to cost the team something wether it's money or draft picks, but you have to give something in order to get something. One more thing...Don't get mad!!! Just voicing my opinion. It is a message board is it not??

It's not that you can throw anybody back there..... they've got to fit a certain mold.... that mold may not be what is usually considered a 1st round draft pick. Clinton Portis wasn't a 1st round pick...

So it's not that we can take a TJ Duckett.... or a Derrick Blaylock and make them superstars...... but we can take a Domanick Davis, Mike Anderson, Terrell Davis, etc....... etc... & make them just as productive as an LT, or an LJ... or a Shaun Alexander.

I think Chris Taylor's got it.... he's got speed, and he runs with power.. OUr OL should be better next year, so we'll start going through RBs like it's nobody's business.... Next year will be put up or get out for running backs. Including Dayne... DD....... Gado...... Lundy..... Taylor..... and if we get Portis.

Second Honeymoon
12-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Yea we were not going to pass on Reggie Bush either, nothing would surprise me after that................

I for one do believe it, but I would not give up a #1 for him, 2 yes if your going to take a RB with that 2nd pick anyways why not take him............

Couple ways you can do this............

1. Takeing a Lineman with the First Pick if there is one good enough and then trading for "Inspector Tu-Tu" for a 2nd.

2. Getting Leonard Davis in the FAs, Trading for Clinton Portis for a #2, Then Drafting a speedy quick WRs( cause I got the feeling Moulds is retiring).

3. Getting Leonard Davis(FA), Trading for Clinton Portis for a #2, Then Drafting a Defensive player.

We don't need to spend our 1st Round pick on an Offensive Lineman. We definitely don't need to sign Leonard Davis as our LT solution. He is really not a LT or even a RT. He should be playing Guard. At Guard he could make the Pro Bowl no problem. The last thing we need is to overpay for an Arizona lineman with a poor to average work ethic and a mediocre track record at best. We have done plenty with our line and we need to add some depth and let our OL gel together. Our true OL needs are a real Left Tackle and a good Center if Flanagan hangs up his cleats. Maybe Oakland would swap picks with us for Carr and a 3rd rounder. Then we could draft Joe Thomas at LT, sign Leonard Davis as OG, and give our 2nd round pick for Portis. Now THAT would be a rocking offseason....we CAN dream right?

LT J. Thomas
LG Charles Spencer
C Mike Flanagan
RG Leonard Davis
RT Chester Pitts

OL Depth: Winston, Weary, McKinney, Salaam.

that would be a damn good line, and we would have some depth except at Center.

You are spot on about everything else, especially about not spending a 1st round pick on Portis.

Portis could give us a real identity as a team finally and not just the current face of the franchise that has been forced down our throat since Day One. Build the team around a good running game, a good defense, and have a cheap yet effective QB manage the game. Why pay for a Rolls Royce QB when it plays like a YUGO that always starts but never takes you anywhere worthwhile.

Second Honeymoon
12-30-2006, 10:09 AM
It's not that you can throw anybody back there..... they've got to fit a certain mold.... that mold may not be what is usually considered a 1st round draft pick. Clinton Portis wasn't a 1st round pick...

So it's not that we can take a TJ Duckett.... or a Derrick Blaylock and make them superstars...... but we can take a Domanick Davis, Mike Anderson, Terrell Davis, etc....... etc... & make them just as productive as an LT, or an LJ... or a Shaun Alexander.

I think Chris Taylor's got it.... he's got speed, and he runs with power.. OUr OL should be better next year, so we'll start going through RBs like it's nobody's business.... Next year will be put up or get out for running backs. Including Dayne... DD....... Gado...... Lundy..... Taylor..... and if we get Portis.

LT? LT?!?!?! You gotta be kidding me :)

GP
12-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Damaged goods.

He's also full of himself. I can see the reason Denver made the Bailey/Portis trade because they picked up a great defender and also unloaded a circus act that they were getting tire of dealing with.

I don't think this happens.

(1) Steep price to get him.

(2) Doesn't seem to be a Kubiak "guy" IMO.

(3) Injured

(4) Injured again

(5) Will be injured...again

Sorry, watching our stud RB go out like a chump, to injury, and now having Dayne who is not exactly dependable, either, has got me gun shy about RBs with injury problems.

When you mess that shoulder up, like Portis has, it gets messed up EASIER as time goes by and he takes those licks.

Deal or No Deal? NO DEAL.

RTP2110
12-30-2006, 10:58 AM
(2) Doesn't seem to be a Kubiak "guy" IMO.

Good point. Didn't Kubiak have a hand in trading him away in the first place?

GP
12-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Good point. Didn't Kubiak have a hand in trading him away in the first place?

Well, based on his opinion of Jerome Mathis...I don't think Kubiak likes to squirrel around with nut jobs.

I pretty much think that Kubiak wants players who take care of business.

When you're busy making up costumes and characters for your own sideshow after the game...that speaks volumes, if you ask me.

It's cute. It's funny. But I don;t think it's Kubiak or Mcnair at all.

Add to it the injury issue, and $$$, and the math adds up that he's not a Texan.

Buckle
12-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Leonard Davis is the LAST thing that we need for our offensive line. He is not an athletic lineman, which is what is needed for Kubiaks zone blocking scheme! I see us looking at some O-lineman with our 2nd day picks or through other players in FA. With the first day picks I think we go defense all the way unless a top tier RB, O-Line prospect or QB prospect fall into our laps in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Texansman05
12-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Could you imagine Portis runnin here though!!! It would be fantastic, espesially in this division where the defenses dont come to play alot of times.

Toro
12-30-2006, 04:39 PM
25 year old HB with 6,500 yards rushing in his brief NFL career? Where do I sign up?

Seriously, one season with injuries doesn't make one injury prone.. If Houston has even a SLIGHT chance of getting Portis, they shouldn't hesistate for one second. He could be the starting HB of this franchise for the next decade and would give them something they desperately lack now, a home run hitter on the offensive side of the ball that would open up the other facets of the offense.

Koolbrz
12-30-2006, 05:15 PM

IMHO Thunder, Taylor has not shown us anything. I am not impressed with what he has done. Which is close to nothing. Pre-season does not count considering the talent level that is out on the field during most of the game. Just a bunch of FA's and rookies trying to make the team. In the first place, if he was that good, he would have been our starting back from the start of the season. Of all the backs on the roster, the only one that could become a stud, IMO is DD. Then again, who knows if he'll ever play again. He does not want to play with any pain. Which is something he will have to play with if he decides to return. I don't think a trade for Portis will happen. We just need to go after M. Turner or draft the best available back on the board!

I feel like a broken record. Anyways, I said it before the season started, that if we did not get a top RB in the draft that the position was going to be our achillies heel. Guess i was right. Let's not make the same mistake again. Our O-Line should be better this coming yr. we just need to go out there and get that Gamebreaker that we are lacking coming out the backfield. Go Texans!!!

Maddict5
12-30-2006, 06:11 PM
id love for this to happen....but only for the right price (2nd rounder or less). by the way i dont think it will happen at all....

he's not injury prone,or a cancer etc as others have inferred, is a home run threat and also importantly for us is 1 of the best pass blocking backs in the league

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2006, 06:25 PM
IMHO Thunder, Taylor has not shown us anything. I am not impressed with what he has done. Which is close to nothing. Pre-season does not count considering the talent level that is out on the field during most of the game. Just a bunch of FA's and rookies trying to make the team. In the first place, if he was that good, he would have been our starting back from the start of the season. Of all the backs on the roster, the only one that could become a stud, IMO is DD. Then again, who knows if he'll ever play again. He does not want to play with any pain. Which is something he will have to play with if he decides to return. I don't think a trade for Portis will happen. We just need to go after M. Turner or draft the best available back on the board!

I feel like a broken record. Anyways, I said it before the season started, that if we did not get a top RB in the draft that the position was going to be our achillies heel. Guess i was right. Let's not make the same mistake again. Our O-Line should be better this coming yr. we just need to go out there and get that Gamebreaker that we are lacking coming out the backfield. Go Texans!!!

San Diego would want a first rounder for Michael Turner. Not going to happen.

Stros5Texans80
12-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Portis is a very physical runner as well, so if he is injury prone, it will show right away.

TEXANRED
12-30-2006, 08:57 PM
There are alot of things this team needs. We are still far away from one player making a difference. I wouldn't think the Texans trade for Portis. He is injury prone, and the average life span of a RB is five years which is where Portis is at. You can tell from being injured this year and last that the NFL is starting to take its toll. It would be a wasted draft pick in my opinion. That is something we have done plenty of over the years.

This off season should be focused on Defense. I just cant stress that enough. IMO I think CB, OLB, and DT should be addressed through FA. Of course we should also keep an eye out for a RT.

This year I feel the Texans should trade down in the draft. Back our selves down to somewhere in the 20's. At some point we are going to have to make up for the Pbuc and Babin mistakes. Hopefully there is a quality safety or a good Pass rush DE to compliment MW.

The top four position we should target in the draft is S, DE, C, G/T. That is why I am hoping that we trade down and acquire good quality first day picks.

Thats just my opinion.

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2006, 09:26 PM
There are alot of things this team needs. We are still far away from one player making a difference. I wouldn't think the Texans trade for Portis. He is injury prone, and the average life span of a RB is five years which is where Portis is at. You can tell from being injured this year and last that the NFL is starting to take its toll. It would be a wasted draft pick in my opinion. That is something we have done plenty of over the years.

This off season should be focused on Defense. I just cant stress that enough. IMO I think CB, OLB, and DT should be addressed through FA. Of course we should also keep an eye out for a RT.

This year I feel the Texans should trade down in the draft. Back our selves down to somewhere in the 20's. At some point we are going to have to make up for the Pbuc and Babin mistakes. Hopefully there is a quality safety or a good Pass rush DE to compliment MW.

The top four position we should target in the draft is S, DE, C, G/T. That is why I am hoping that we trade down and acquire good quality first day picks.

Thats just my opinion.

I hope that is what we do, also. If we can trade down and get maybe two first rounders, or a late first rounder, but two very early second rounders, that would be good for us. If we had gotten an early second rounder last year, we could have had Maurice Jones-Drew way before Jacksonville picked him up in the late second round.

Please_Evolve
12-30-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't think clinton is injury prone. He had some bad luck this year and i just don't think he fits what Joe Gibbs wants to do. More of a cutback runner like in Denver not the Powerback that Gibbs is used to/wants. That's why i am really suprised i didn't see much of Duckett this year.

That said i really don't see this trade happening unless there is some contract restructuring and if Washington doesn't want a first rounder. If we do go RB in the first i hope it's Lynch. If not Safety then let's focus on the trenches on both sides of the ball. Though i know we wary of more D-linemen at this point but i think this offseason will be huge.

Texanfan4ever
12-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I hope that is what we do, also. If we can trade down and get maybe two first rounders, or a late first rounder, but two very early second rounders, that would be good for us. If we had gotten an early second rounder last year, we could have had Maurice Jones-Drew way before Jacksonville picked him up in the late second round.

We don't want a player with his behavior. Do you want to be proud of a guy that spits on people????? i don't think so.

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2006, 09:57 PM
When did Jones-Drew spit on people. I saw him on Inside the NFL last night, and he seemed like a guy who wants to win and loves playing football. He didn't come off as someone who spit on people.

Stros5Texans80
12-31-2006, 12:06 AM
I thought TO was the one that did that?

ThaShark316
12-31-2006, 01:03 AM
We don't want a player with his behavior. Do you want to be proud of a guy that spits on people????? i don't think so.

Sean Taylor did that, not Portis.

Second Honeymoon
12-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Sean Taylor did that, not Portis.

quoted for truth...portis is just a free spirit who likes to have fun with the media sometimes

taylor is a damn good football player but not exactly a 'character' guy to say the least. he spit on a guy in a playoff game. ejected.

it was an embarassment to the entire Redskins franchise...but he hits like a train and has good ball skills so they really couldn't do much...

GuerillaBlack
12-31-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't think Portis had a bad attitude at all. I thought his "characters" last year were funny, and just all in fun. Not a character issue like some have said in this thread.

edo783
12-31-2006, 03:51 PM
I like Portis's characters. Particularly "Southside Jerome". I shed a tear when he died. That dang sherriff never did find out who did it. Must be some sort of Washington cover up. CIA maybe?