PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Opponents

Sarg01
12-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Since Buffalo has the tiebreaker and a 1-game lead over Miami, here's our opponents for 2007. I think the football gods really have it in for us sometimes.

AFC South:
Indy x2
Jax x2
East Austin x2

AFC West:
San Diego
Denver
Kansas City
Oakland

NFC South:
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay

AFC 4ths:
Cleveland
Miami

dirty steve
12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Since Buffalo has the tiebreaker and a 1-game lead over Miami, here's our opponents for 2007. I think the football gods really have it in for us sometimes.

AFC South:
Indy x2
Jax x2
East Austin x2

AFC West:
@ San Diego
Denver
Kansas City
@ Oakland

NFC South:
New Orleans
@ Carolina
@ Atlanta
Tampa Bay

AFC 4ths:
@ Cleveland
Miami
did i get all the road/home games correct?

Hervoyel
12-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Well look at it like this then

Indy (x2) we get every year so no big deal. We get to play the #32 run defense twice per year. I believe we can split this.

Jacksonville (x2) we also get every year and it's almost like getting spotted 2 wins per season

Tennessee (x2) is going to happen every year so there's no sense in getting upset about it. We'll just have to beat them and get a split. Winning sometimes would go a long way towards making this series bearable. It did wonders for us in 2004.

a .500 record against our division opponents is not out of the question. 3-3 is very possible and at the rate Jacksonville is "improving" we could actually go 4-2 against the AFC South. I think we will go 4-2.

San Diego is going to be tough of course but then Denver is only 9-6 right now. Kansas City is 8-7. Those two teams are not invincible by any stretch of the imagination. Oakland sucks worse than we do. We could go 2-2 over these four teams add that to our record against our own division and we're suddenly 6-4

New Orleans probably beats us but they were garbage last year and they're brilliant this year. They could go right back to being garbage next year and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Still if we lose to New Orleans and split Carolina and Atlanta (both at best .500 teams) then beat Tampa Bay we go 2-2 against this bunch. That brings us up to 8-6

That leaves Cleveland and Miami. Cleveland is currently 4-11 and Miami is 6-9. Who exactly is terrified of those two teams? We take both of those and we're 10-6 for the year. If we split them then we're 9-7.

I have no problem with the teams we're playing next year. Everyone has some tough battles and everyone has a few "gimmies". A few of those will reverse next season. If we truly improve and beat the bad teams we're halfway to where we need to be. If we win some games against some good teams we top .500

ArlingtonTexan
12-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Truth is we won't know if this is an easy or tough schedule until well into the 2007 season. The teams making the playoffs are losing very few games to bad teams and stealing a couple from teams that are better than they are. Flawed NFL teams make the playoffs every year. The texans don't have to resolve all of thier issues to make the playoffs, but do a few things well and don't mess up chances to win close games. 8 wins gets in playoff conversasion and 9 wins gets you in quite often.

BTW, here is a note from the 2006 draft

Top 5 in the draft were

Texans- 3 or 4 win improvement
Saints-division winner
Titans- guaranteed to be .500, playoff still a chance
Jets- mostly likely playoffs
Packers- still with a chance to make the playoffs

The texans are not going to be perfect next year, but even with modest improvement can position themselves for playoff contention.

Double Barrel
12-27-2006, 05:21 PM
After [finally] beating the Colts, I'm back to thinking we can be an 'any given Sunday' team (like 2004).

That being said, the record - based upon today's projections - could vary from 6-10 to 9-7. A lot of importance will be placed on the first four games, as we need to at least split. I don't think this young team will have the confidence to pull itself out of an 0-4 hole at this point.

DenverBorn
12-27-2006, 06:20 PM

Indy (x2) we get every year so no big deal. We get to play the #32 run defense twice per year. I believe we can split this.

Jacksonville (x2) we also get every year and it's almost like getting spotted 2 wins per season

Tennessee (x2) is going to happen every year so there's no sense in getting upset about it. We'll just have to beat them and get a split. Winning sometimes would go a long way towards making this series bearable. It did wonders for us in 2004.

a .500 record against our division opponents is not out of the question. 3-3 is very possible and at the rate Jacksonville is "improving" we could actually go 4-2 against the AFC South. I think we will go 4-2.

San Diego is going to be tough of course but then Denver is only 9-6 right now. Kansas City is 8-7. Those two teams are not invincible by any stretch of the imagination. Oakland sucks worse than we do. We could go 2-2 over these four teams add that to our record against our own division and we're suddenly 6-4

New Orleans probably beats us but they were garbage last year and they're brilliant this year. They could go right back to being garbage next year and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Still if we lose to New Orleans and split Carolina and Atlanta (both at best .500 teams) then beat Tampa Bay we go 2-2 against this bunch. That brings us up to 8-6

That leaves Cleveland and Miami. Cleveland is currently 4-11 and Miami is 6-9. Who exactly is terrified of those two teams? We take both of those and we're 10-6 for the year. If we split them then we're 9-7.

I have no problem with the teams we're playing next year. Everyone has some tough battles and everyone has a few "gimmies". A few of those will reverse next season. If we truly improve and beat the bad teams we're halfway to where we need to be. If we win some games against some good teams we top .500

I see it a little differently

1. I think our conference record will be 2-4. Wins at home against Indy and Jax. Get swept by Vince

2. Agree that 2-2 vs. AFC West is a possibility

3. I think we'll go 3-1 against the NFC South. I think we can beat TB, Atlanta and Carolina. I don't think the Saints are headed down in the next few years, as long as Brees stays healthy

4. We beat both Cleveland and Miami

So that leaves us at 9-7, at best. More likely 8-8. And 6-10 is not out of the realm of possibility, by any means.

Maddict5
12-27-2006, 06:43 PM
13-3 all the way baby...:rolleyes:

seriously the afc north is as bad if not worse than the west so either would've been bad....i think we can go 3-3/4-2 in our division

afc west- lose to SD and denver...beat KC and oakland- in fact i think the raiders will be the tougher of the 2 next yr cos they'll have some offence

nfc south- hard to tell..we could go 3-1 or 1-3 as they're all inconsistant and have problems

same with the browns and miami- we could win or lose both... il say 8-8 pre-

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM

9-7 PLEASE - with Carr, Kubiak, and McLoser running this thing. Thye'll be lucky to surpass this year's total...

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
After [finally] beating the Colts, I'm back to thinking we can be an 'any given Sunday' team (like 2004).

That being said, the record - based upon today's projections - could vary from 6-10 to 9-7. A lot of importance will be placed on the first four games, as we need to at least split. I don't think this young team will have the confidence to pull itself out of an 0-4 hole at this point.

"any given Sunday' team" now there is a goal to be proud of...

ledzeppelin229
12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I see it a little differently

1. I think our conference record will be 2-4. Wins at home against Indy and Jax. Get swept by Vince

2. Agree that 2-2 vs. AFC West is a possibility

3. I think we'll go 3-1 against the NFC South. I think we can beat TB, Atlanta and Carolina. I don't think the Saints are headed down in the next few years, as long as Brees stays healthy

4. We beat both Cleveland and Miami

So that leaves us at 9-7, at best. More likely 8-8. And 6-10 is not out of the realm of possibility, by any means.

Do you think we'll be swept by Vince, or do you want to be swept by Vince?

I'm not saying its impossible to happen again, but the Titans didn't exactly blow us out of the water this season.

Texian
12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
I'll know more when you can tell me the status of the 16 players on IR.

1. Does Dominick return?
2. Will Spencer be fully recovered?
3. Will the IR DTs be healthy?

Then, can we get a couple of upgrade starters in FA?

Will we be able to get a couple of rookies in the draft who can contribute in 07?

If all goes well 9 or 10 wins, maybe, if not, 7-8 wins.

TexanFan881
12-27-2006, 08:03 PM
If we hit the jackpot in the draft like we did last year we could be looking at a great year next season...

Anyone know when the actual schedule comes out? I might be able to try and get to the Indianapolis away game and maybe a couple others depending on the dates. If anyone has an idea it would help me a lot...:)

stingray
12-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I can just imagine how the media is going to hype the Texans vs Saints matchup. "The reggie vs mario and how reggie was disrespected by the Texans". That's gonna be a long week before the game. I believe the game is in Houston....

Goldeagle
12-27-2006, 08:37 PM
I dread the Saints game...Im tired of hearing who we should have taken in the draft

TexanFan881
12-28-2006, 01:22 AM
I dread the Saints game...Im tired of hearing who we should have taken in the draft

Guess we'll just have to show them we made the right pick...

whotex8
12-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Anyone know when the actual schedule comes out? I might be able to try and get to the Indianapolis away game and maybe a couple others depending on the dates. If anyone has an idea it would help me a lot...:)

I think the schedule came out in Feb. this past year. They start pushing for Renewals (season tickets) just after the schedule is announced.

HOOK'EM
12-28-2006, 01:48 AM
With Carr: 5-11

Without Carr: 10-6

Goldeagle
12-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Guess we'll just have to show them we made the right pick...

heh, I agree....rather Mario is going to have to show them...Then again, the ESPN idiots made a comment (one of them I was not paying attention) that "Mario WIlliams can average 14 sacks a year and still wont be worth the #1 pick" or something like that?

Amazing

Big J
12-28-2006, 02:13 AM
You cant forecast our 2007 season. Its way to hard to predict. So many factors or inputs still need to be put in place. Someone already mentioned the key points.

But I will add...Did anyone seriously expect New Orleans to be second in the NFC? Or the Titans be .500? No.

So who knows who the suprise or let down team will be next year.

SLO Texan
12-28-2006, 02:52 AM
You cant forecast our 2007 season. Its way to hard to predict. So many factors or inputs still need to be put in place. Someone already mentioned the key points.

But I will add...Did anyone seriously expect New Orleans to be second in the NFC? Or the Titans be .500? No.

So who knows who the suprise or let down team will be next year.

I know but don't tell anyone..........it's the..........

Houston Texans who go 9-7 and make it to the playoffs via wild card berth and upset Kubiaks old Broncos to advance to the SuperBowl and WIN IT ALL!!!!!!

But seriously if we fill holes like we did in '06 in '07 via FA and the draft we've got as good a shot as anyone in our division to win. We went 3-3 in the South including 2 tough losses to the Titans. The winning Texans team we've all been waiting for is getting ready to explode out of it's Steel Blue heart!!!

Get Ready for the New Texans NFL!!!

GO:logo:

swoldier
12-28-2006, 03:19 AM
I know but don't tell anyone..........it's the..........

Houston Texans who go 9-7 and make it to the playoffs via wild card berth and upset Kubiaks old Broncos to advance to the SuperBowl and WIN IT ALL!!!!!!

But seriously if we fill holes like we did in '06 in '07 via FA and the draft we've got as good a shot as anyone in our division to win. We went 3-3 in the South including 2 tough losses to the Titans. The winning Texans team we've all been waiting for is getting ready to explode out of it's Steel Blue heart!!!

Get Ready for the New Texans NFL!!!

GO:logo:

This post seriously gave me butterflies and goosebumps!!!!! Heres to Playoffs next year.

HJam72
12-28-2006, 03:27 AM
If we beat the Browns Sunday, especially if we beat them decisively, we will finish 6-10 and going 9-7 wouldn't really be that big of surprise next year. What would be really great is finishing 6-10 this year and getting 10 or 11 wins next year!!! :marionaner: Obviously, we're not expecting that, but it could happen.

Silver Oak
12-28-2006, 08:41 AM
I just like progress of any kind next year....8-8, 9-7, 7-9 as long as we see competition and progress. Injuries and stuff happens so you never know...

Nothing will ever stop the 2006 Draft Anti-Texan talk but one thing that would stem it's flow would be two weeks of Super Bowl media attention. That would have to shut up some detractors.

Go Texans!

kastofsna
12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
we're not losing to you guys again. bite me.

TexanFanInCC
12-28-2006, 09:28 AM

AFC South:
Indy x2
Jax x2
East Austin x2

AFC West:
San Diego
Denver
Kansas City
Oakland

NFC South:
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay

AFC 4ths:
Cleveland
Miami

i dont think that is too scary. the falcons are overrated and beatable even for this years texans. so are the panthers, tampa bay, cleveland, jax x2, miami, oakland, KC, east austin, and heck even the colts for 1 game....thats 11 winnable games. even denver is not unbeatable at this point. for next yr, who knows, but assuming that we get better via the draft and free agency, we can win up to 12 games. keyword = can.

kastofsna
12-28-2006, 09:50 AM
for fun, read through this:

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=17538

Hervoyel
12-28-2006, 09:57 AM

I see a bunch of optimistic fans. In my opinion that's a good thing. It's an even better thing that we can still be, for the most part optimistic after so many of us overestimated how we'd do this year.

I want us to win them all. Naturally I understand we won't win them all but I sit down in front of my television or in my seat at Reliant stadium expecting to see the Texans win.

So yeah, we're going to beat you guys again. :)

TexanFanInCC
12-28-2006, 10:08 AM
I see a bunch of optimistic fans. In my opinion that's a good thing. It's an even better thing that we can still be, for the most part optimistic after so many of us overestimated how we'd do this year.

I want us to win them all. Naturally I understand we won't win them all but I sit down in front of my television or in my seat at Reliant stadium expecting to see the Texans win.

well there have also been alot of pissed off fans as well, and that is just as good. The hungrier the fans are, the better they will be when the team actually starts winning. take the eagles fans for instance. they suffered alot of losing back in their days, but as soon as they get the ball rolling, the fans are greedy and fierce, and change usually not a good thing when things are working. I can definitely see this happening in houston. we are hungrier than ever before. this city deserves to win. i think that as soon as we have our first real taste of winning, us texans fans are going to be greedy. as long as the texans have been losing, ive noticed alot of us dont even bother to homer troll in other boards because we have nothing to be trolling about. i wouldnt troll anyways, but when we begin to win, our fans will suck in a swagger and fiercness that will make reliant stadium one hell of a rocking place that NFL visiting teams will gringe at when they have to come here. stay hungry!

kastofsna
12-28-2006, 10:10 AM

i agree, optimism is a great thing in fans. homerism is wonderful. i fully support it. it's pretty sickening to me to see some people jumping over to the titans bandwagon.

sorry, but miami will own you next year. guaranteed. write it down.

TexanFanInCC
12-28-2006, 10:13 AM
i agree, optimism is a great thing in fans. homerism is wonderful. i fully support it. it's pretty sickening to me to see some people jumping over to the titans bandwagon.

sorry, but miami will own you next year. guaranteed. write it down.

with who at QB? to be honest, i think drew brees would have been a much better fit in miami...but nobody in new orleans is complaining now.

kastofsna
12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
the brees decision was made becuase it's the smae decision 90% of other teams would have made. a shoulder injury is too risky to spend a ton of money on, especially the money brees got. he has like 30 aluminum pins in his shoulder right now...fact is, the dolphins' trainers looked at brees and told saban it wasn't a good idea to sign him. we'll see how it looks down the road for new orleans.

and CLEO LEMON will dominate you guys. ;)

TexanFanInCC
12-28-2006, 10:46 AM
the brees decision was made becuase it's the smae decision 90% of other teams would have made. a shoulder injury is too risky to spend a ton of money on, especially the money brees got. he has like 30 aluminum pins in his shoulder right now...fact is, the dolphins' trainers looked at brees and told saban it wasn't a good idea to sign him. we'll see how it looks down the road for new orleans.

yeah i forgot he even got hurt...and how can i be blamed when he is having the monster season he is having. its kinda like the "GARDENHOSER / ROSENBAGGER" kid from the movie "rookie of the year". the kid busts his elbow up, but somehow, he is able to turn into this freakishly good pitcher. i wonder if brees's joints did the same thing... :tease:

Roughnecks
12-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Well if we want a 9-7 season they better sure up the oline because there are some really good D we are playing next year.

rittenhouserobz
12-28-2006, 12:55 PM
The ultimate goal is the Super Bowl. Playing weak teams is not a good measuring stick. Playing bad teams twice a year simply inflates a teams image of being a good team, then they play the tough teams. For instance, the Giants played sub- .500 teams for the first half and had a winning record. They played winning teams for the last half of the season and are losing. So are the Giants good or bad? The best meauring stick is against the toughest teams.

We are going to have to beat Indy twice and other teams with winning records to reach the Super Bowl. What it boils down to is that a tougher schedule is better. IMHO

OrangeCountyTexansFan
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I think our conference record will be 2-4. Wins at home against Indy and Jax. Get swept by Vince.
Vince isn't unbeatable. Right now he is pulling from his ways of playing college. So far he has gotten lucky. Next year teams will be ready for his little "take off and run and be the hero" move. He'll end up getting hit low and injured in the NFL. I'm glad we don't have him here.
:texan:

Sarg01
12-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Next year teams will be ready for his little "take off and run and be the hero" move. He'll end up getting hit low and injured in the NFL. I'm glad we don't have him here.
:texan:

Ah, I see I'm not the only one who remembers the "Michael Vick Experience" commercials and his Madden cover.

old football fan
12-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Cleo Lemon???? Who is she??????????

RSCS92
12-28-2006, 02:18 PM
At home we get

Indy
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Denver
Kansas City
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Miami / Buffalo (same place finisher from AFC East)

Away we get

Indy
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Oakland
San Diego
Atlanta
Carolina
Cleveland ( same place finisher from AFC North)

Sarg01
12-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Buffalo has the head to head sweep on Miami, so Miami is locked in.

WWJD
12-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm pressed for time but there is a website that can give you the schedule away/home thru 2009 I believe. The exacts dates have not been set and I think that's determined in the spring by the league. But they do give you what games are home and which are away games.

I believe it's something like johnnyroadtrip.com.

GNTLEWOLF
12-29-2006, 01:39 AM

AFC South:
Indy x2
Jax x2
East Austin x2

AFC West:
San Diego
Denver
Kansas City
Oakland

NFC South:
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay

AFC 4ths:
Cleveland
Miami

Just looking at this schedule gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. If this is true..I see another 4-12 0r 5-11 season coming

HJam72
12-29-2006, 07:18 AM
AFC South:
Indy Win
Indy Loss
Jax Win
Jax Win
East Austin Loss
East Austin Loss

AFC West:
San Diego Loss
Denver Loss
Kansas City Win
Oakland Win

NFC South:
New Orleans Loss
Carolina Loss
Atlanta Win
Tampa Bay Win

AFC 4ths:
Cleveland Win
Miami Win

With some help from the draft and free agency, I'm looking at 9-7 there. I even assumed we would get swept by the Titans next year. I think the AFC South is going to be a real war next year.

kastofsna
12-29-2006, 09:53 AM
The Saints were not gargage. They were displaced by a hurricane and spent 13 of 16 weeks on the road. The year before they went 8-8. If you are going to slam a team, look up the reasons why things were as they were.

Living in SA, I met a ton of Saints. They guys were tired, worried, stressed and on the damned road every weekend. SA handled 3 games well and we could have handled 3 or 4 more. Instead, TAG decided to break their spirit and hit Tom at the bank by playing those games in Baton Rouge. One game sold out. The last one had about 19,000 at it.

We sold out the AlamoDome.

Again, they weren't garbage and won't be that next year.
they played like garbage.

GuerillaBlack
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
When you have to worry about your family back home in New Orleans and being on the road for every game, I am sure you would get exhausted. I think they should have stayed in San Antonio for the whole season, though I don't think San Antonio could support a full-time NFL team yet.

kastofsna
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Being completely dispalced and exhausted will have that effect.
yup. regardless.....they played poorly.

GuerillaBlack
12-29-2006, 10:45 AM

Almost like those Miami Dolphin predictions at the beginning of the season.

Hervoyel
12-29-2006, 11:00 AM
The Saints were not gargage. They were displaced by a hurricane and spent 13 of 16 weeks on the road. The year before they went 8-8. If you are going to slam a team, look up the reasons why things were as they were.

Living in SA, I met a ton of Saints. The guys were tired, worried, stressed and on the damned road every weekend. SA handled 3 games well and we could have handled 3 or 4 more. Instead, TAG decided to break their spirit and hit Tom at the bank by playing those games in Baton Rouge. One game sold out. The last one had about 19,000 at it.

We sold out the AlamoDome.

Again, they weren't garbage and won't be that next year.

As kastofsna has already stated I was talking about their play on the field and nothing more. It wasn't a slam on them it was an accurate description of their record in 2005. Sure there were very good reasons for why they played as poorly as they did (and lets not underestimate Aaron Brooks there) but lets set all of that aside for a moment.

I probably should have taken the time to lookup "Hurricane Katrina" on Wikipedia or something before I wrote that since I somehow managed to miss the news that a Hurricane struck New Orleans and displaced the team. Was there much damage to the town? Did that have something to do with all the buses we saw arriving at the Astrodome?

Having some knowledge of the events of 2005 in New Orleans probably would have helped me write a more understanding and sympathetic line about the New Orleans Saints in my post that had very little to do with them. I'll keep that in mind Elle.

Clearly the citizens of San Antonio did their part and showed up in large numbers to support them. That warms my heart.

Yes there was some small amount of sarcasm in that.

Now back to the Houston Texans 2007 schedule....

t_flare
12-29-2006, 11:12 AM
that doesnt look right.. why the hell are we playing the browns every year?

The Pencil Neck
12-29-2006, 11:17 AM
that doesnt look right.. why the hell are we playing the browns every year?

Because we both finish at the same spots in our respective AFC divisions every year.

Every year, you play 2 games against the teams in your division, 1 game against each team in one AFC division and one NFC division, and then 2 games against the other teams that finished at the same spot you did in the other 2 divisions in your conference.

That's why we play the Browns and the Raiders a lot.

Bubbajwp
12-29-2006, 11:18 AM
One thing you have to remember is that alot of these teams will be improving this offseason also.

Hervoyel
12-29-2006, 12:08 PM
One thing you have to remember is that alot of these teams will be improving this offseason also.

They will but that's every season and it's usually counterbalanced by some of the better teams declining for various reasons. Who knows maybe Carolina gets hit by a hurricane and they have to play all of their games in San Antonio. An injury here, a drug suspension there, and suddenly games agains teams that you didn't think you could beat become winnable.

Blu
12-29-2006, 02:22 PM

Me too!

As long as they keep up the good play against The Brownies.