PDA

View Full Version : Time to find a new offensive coordinator

gwallaia
12-26-2006, 07:04 PM
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- Former Air Force starting quarterback Troy Calhoun will replace Fisher DeBerry as head coach of the Falcons.

Calhoun, who started for DeBerry in 1986, had been an assistant coach with the Denver Broncos before joining Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans this season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2706195

texflex513
12-26-2006, 07:06 PM
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- Former Air Force starting quarterback Troy Calhoun will replace Fisher DeBerry as head coach of the Falcons.

Calhoun, who started for DeBerry in 1986, had been an assistant coach with the Denver Broncos before joining Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans this season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2706195 It should be shermans job by default but who knows..

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
12-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Troy Calhoun knows opportunity when he sees it - stay on this staff and you may never work again - smart guy!

Ibar_Harry
12-27-2006, 12:25 AM
What interested me was in the post game presser Kubiak said there was a great debate going on over the head sets concerning about when to stretch the field. I would like to know who was debating and who won? I know we will never hear the answer, but it would really be interesting to know. Might give us a little more insight as to what has been happening internally.

TEXANS84
12-27-2006, 11:35 AM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=10

I would love to have Tom Moore, but I find that a very slim possibility:

cuppacoffee
12-27-2006, 11:42 AM
I've read that Sherman was a good tight ends coach and also a good O line coach. Can't recall ever reading about his Offensive playcalling.

Any opinions?

:coffee:

amazingandre
12-27-2006, 01:13 PM
at times sherman knows how to use what type of players he has he can adapt to them. but there aremoments of let down o well we will see

TexansSeminole
12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I've read that Sherman was a good tight ends coach and also a good O line coach. Can't recall ever reading about his Offensive playcalling.

Any opinions?

:coffee:

I doubt he would make the playcalls as a O coordinator anyway. I think Kubiak does that. He may share it though.

El Tejano
12-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Isn't he already the assistant OC?

If you ask me I think that Sherman probably won. He made the right call once against Jville so I assume Kube trusted him again this time.

cseafous
12-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I really hope Kubiak does not pick anyone for the OC spot and handles the play calling directly. I have often wondered if as a new head coach, he didn't pad the coaching staff with too many chiefs. I always thought it was his play calling ability that McNair was counting on when he was hired. There is nothing wrong with getting opinions from your staff, that's why they are there. But at some point you have to go with what you think is right. It worked pretty well for Brian Billick. Besides, how much time would be saved in getting plays on the field if Kubiak just calls it himself instead of the current process?

kenneth24
12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I really hope Kubiak does not pick anyone for the OC spot and handles the play calling directly. I have often wondered if as a new head coach, he didn't pad the coaching staff with too many chiefs. I always thought it was his play calling ability that McNair was counting on when he was hired. There is nothing wrong with getting opinions from your staff, that's why they are there. But at some point you have to go with what you think is right. It worked pretty well for Brian Billick. Besides, how much time would be saved in getting plays on the field if Kubiak just calls it himself instead of the current process?

I agree in that I think Kubiak should handle the play calling on offense and I also thought Dom Capers should have handled the defense. You get to be a HC if you're a good coordinator, so obviously you know what you are doing in that department and are one of the best in the business so why delegate it. Of course, I'm a control freak and want to be hands on if its my responsibility.

GP
12-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Let me ASSUME something:

(1) Our offenseive playcalling looked erratic all season THIS season, much like the Palmer-Pendry-Capers fiasco last year.

(2) Calhoun gets named Air Force coach, effectively ending what most of us what presume to be his duties as coordinator. After all, when YOU know that you're leaving your current job for another job in a few days or weeks...are you reallllllly that "in tune" and effective for your last few days on the job? Nope.

(3) And with what I would call the BEST start-to-finish playcalling all season, vs. the unstoppable Colts, isn't it not too far of a stretch to ASSUME that Calhoun was probably serving in more of a "advisor" role during the game, getting out of the way and putting the control on someone who is firmly "with" the Texans? I'm not saying he would purposefully sabotage us...but I do think that his focus would not be the same with knowing that he's the new head coach at Air Force now.

I think this game was a Sherman or Kubiak game. I think they wanted Calhoun to move onto Air Force, not because they "hate" him...but because they probably think that it's not working well with Calhoun as coordinator.

I would not mind Sherman at the OC. I think he is a brilliant and meticulous planner who can do the job well. You cannot really argue against it when you look at his track record.

He just comes across as a seasoned veteran who knows all the other teams' styles and tendencies.

Now if we had only landed Gene Chizik at DC when we COULD have. That was a mistake to not get that guy and pay him whatever in the heck he wanted to be the highest paid DC in the NFL. He makes Auburn the top D in the nation, then goes straight to UT and makes UT the top D in the nation. Hard to argue his track record with two separate schools in two separate conferences.

Richard Smith is not the answer at DC.

Calhoun was not the answer at OC.

One's gone, and it's great that he gets to go back to his roots. Now if we can just get a quality DC in here...but I doubt anything happens.

Back to the original topic and my my question to all of you: Don't you think the playcalling looked better and more opportunistic than it had been? Didn't it seem that everyone was on the same page and that nobody got flustered all game long? I had to rub my eyes from time to time just to make sure that I was watching the right game.

TexanSam
12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Now if we had only landed Gene Chizik at DC when we COULD have. That was a mistake to not get that guy and pay him whatever in the heck he wanted to be the highest paid DC in the NFL. He makes Auburn the top D in the nation, then goes straight to UT and makes UT the top D in the nation. Hard to argue his track record with two separate schools in two separate conferences.

Richard Smith is not the answer at DC.

Calhoun was not the answer at OC.

One's gone, and it's great that he gets to go back to his roots. Now if we can just get a quality DC in here...but I doubt anything happens.

So you can tell Richard Smith is a poor DC after one season? Do you remember the way the D played the first 4 games? What about since then? There has been tremendous improvement. With a secondary with only one guy who could start on a good team (Robinson). With one quality linebacker (Demeco). With defensive tackles named Lionel Dalton and Anthony Maddox getting regular playing time. And with Mario Williams playing with one good foot as a rookie, I think Richard Smith has done a tremendous job as a defensive coordinator. I was not happy with him the first quarter of the season, but since then he's done a fine job with the talent we have (not much). You need to give some reasons as to why you think he's a below average DC.

And to say Gene Chizik would be a good NFL DC may be a reach. Yes he turned Auburn and Texas around on defense. That's college. And last I checked, Texas had one of the worst pass defenses in the country even with some talent in the secondary. What would Chizik have done when we have almost no talent in our secondary?

Grid
12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I dont want Sherman or some other "experienced" OC. I want some young kid whos learning the ropes, cause I want Kubiak calling the plays, and the other guy to sit back and learn.

Kaiser Toro
12-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I dont want Sherman or some other "experienced" OC. I want some young kid whos learning the ropes, cause I want Kubiak calling the plays, and the other guy to sit back and learn.

That is where I am right now. We fell into that conundrum with Capers. We need to leverage our strengths to build the right type of foundation.

DreDaMan05
12-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not quite sure if Sherman will be back next year, with all the open head coaching jobs that will be available. So I am hoping on a offensive guru with a good track record, or like mention above a young hungry coordinator who can sit back and learn like Kubiak did with Denver!