PDA

View Full Version : AFC South - 2007

SicilianJag
12-26-2006, 03:40 PM
First of all, Congrats to the texans for their win this past weekend.

How tough is this division going to be to win next year? I see 4 teams in contention with just a few pieces each to address in the offseason:

colts - something to shore up their D up the middle. Their passing & running offense looks good returning, as usual. Obviously they have the most consistent offense, arguably the worst defense in the division. With no improvements at all, the offense keeps them in contention next year absent major injuries.

titans - like the jags, the titans need some work on their passing game. I think it covers the QB and the WRs, but at least they believe they know who their QB is. It also seems like the jags ran pretty well on them, so some more strength in the middle and some depth is probably called for in the draft. A little help/depth needed on both sides of the ball, but already showing signs of competing. With good coaching and a solid draft, they should be right there.

Jags - clearly the passing game is in desperate need of help. Decide on a direction at QB and get a play making WR. I think the WR is a free agent, but we have to see who comes available. Arguably the strongest defense, and the weakest passing game. With no improvements, defense and running game keep them in contention next year.

texans - I leave this to the board experts. As an outsider, like the Jags, you have to make a firm decision on the future at QB. Is Dayne signed for next year? Based upon comments from the beginning of the year, you probably need to continue acquiring players on the D side. Like the titans, with solid coaching and a good draft you're right in the thick of it. The big risk I see is if you take a QB in round 1 and have to wait out growing pains.

But the bottom line is that it was proven this year that any of the 4 teams can beat other division rivals on any given day. (except maybe the Jags against the texans this year.) Should be an exciting division race.

Titan "Tack" Fan
12-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Titans 12-4
Colts 9-7
Texans 8-8
Jaguars 7-9

The Dream
12-26-2006, 05:36 PM
If the colts don't make changes defensively I think the Titans will be the best team in the AFC South come next season.

SicilianJag
12-26-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll probably get rained on from texan and titan fans, but I haven't seen enough passing from Vince Young yet to make them a favorite. His stats look good this week, he's a heck of an athlete with unquestionable scrambling and leadership skills, but I haven't seen the pocket skills yet that make him a McNair or Steve Young as opposed to a Mike Vick.

Nonetheless, titan fans have a reason to be optimistic and excited. After a couple off years, they are again on the rise.

As a homer, I'll take my Jags even up against them next year.

thunderkyss
12-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Texans 13-3
Titans 9-7
Jags 9-7
Indy 5-11

If I were the Jags...... I'd go into next season as if Garrard was my starter. Give him about four games to prove that he should be the guy. If he isn't getting it done, then I'll announce an obscure injury, and put Byron in there.

Regardless, first thing in the draft, I'd get some talent that would allow Byron to stand back their and do his job. Since he'll be 100% for the first time in his professional career.

Titans..... I think the next few years are going to be seasons that could have been. next year, they'll go 9-7, and miss the playoffs, then in '08, they'll go 10-6, and still miss with teams like Indy & Baltimore winning the Wildcard spots.

Indy.... Their going to start hemoraging next year, trying to make changes to clearly define the QB, the OC, the DC, etc......

doughboy
12-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Colts are gonna be the bottom feeders next year. No money for FA and cant afford Dwight Freeny there best defensive player. 6-10

Jags They've peeked theres no one in the draft that can help there passing game or lack of leaders. 9-7

Texans NEED a QB before they can sniff playoffs... Wouldnt suprise me if they over take the jags for defense next year. 8-8

Titans we need a pass rusher On the other side Of KVB and A reciver second Even though Brandon Jones is going to be a beast next year. Very good Oline
12-4

Silver Oak
12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
I haven't seen the schedules for 07 yet, but if you are accepting bets on the Titans going 12-4, I'll take the other side of that action. :shades:

Titan "Tack" Fan
12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Texans 13-3

:confused:
...I'm going to need an explanation for this.....

Trap_Star
12-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Im not getting my hopes up again....In 04 we went 7-9, we swept both the titans and jags. Everybody was like "In 05 we'll be a playoff team!!"

05: 2-14

mexican_texan
12-26-2006, 10:00 PM
The team is getting better because they're learning the system. The 05 Texans stunk it up because they lost the leaders with a coaching staff that was quickly spiraling down the toilet. We have a good GM now in Rick Smith who won't be just another yes man like Casserly.

Jags....same as always...inconsistent.

Colts...on the decline.

Titans....fear them.

YoungTexanFan
12-26-2006, 10:07 PM
a simple way to sum it up:

Texans: 16-0
Titans: 0-12-4
Jags: 0-12-4
Colts: 0-12-4

None of the other AFC south teams win a game, and are only able to tie each other in a 0-0 deadlock. Texans dominate and win it all.

Too homer?

ATX
12-26-2006, 10:59 PM

None of the other AFC south teams win a game, and are only able to tie each other in a 0-0 deadlock. Texans dominate and win it all.

Too homer?

Slightly

ATX
12-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Colts 12-4
Texans 8-8
Jags 7-9
Titans 5-11

Even with a crappy Defense, the Colts will still win the division next year for the last time.

Jags will continue to play their .500ish style of ball, losing 2 to the Texans of course.

Titans luck will run out next year, Teams will gameplan VY better next year, and that Defense is the worst in the AFC South.

edo783
12-26-2006, 11:18 PM

Too homer?

Nahhh, well...maybe a bit.

GuerillaBlack
12-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Do you see how Tony Romo has stopped...teams will gameplan for Vince Young.

YoungTexanFan
12-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Colts: 11-5 (last year of dominance)
Titans: 9-7 (Team on the rise. Will start fast, fall fast at the end.)
Texans: 8-8 (Mared by controversy and unwillingness to draft OL still)
Jags: 6-10 (Team has peaked. Lacks starting QB and a true #1 WR. Defense aging which kept them afloat for years. Smith is gone now as well.)

I see the Titans becoming the next power in the division with us nipping their heels for a short while until we draft OL and make a serious push to the top.

mexican_texan
12-27-2006, 12:54 AM
About the unwillingness to draft OL...Rick Smith has yet to have a draft, so you can't bring up the team's draft history to support any single fact whatsoever, such as never drafting a PK in the first round. Kubiak drafted two tackles last year, one of which was once considered a top five pick.

whiskeyrbl
12-27-2006, 04:38 AM
I also believe 2007 is the Colts last year of dominance

Colts 11-5
Titans 10-6
Texans 8-8
Jags 7-9

HoustonFan
12-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Colts 10-6
Titans 9-7
Texans 8-8
Jaguars 7-9

Top dogs of the AFC South will be on the decline - Jags and Colts.

Texans pick up a Safety, QB, and Running Back in the draft - not sure how many more picks we have hopefully enough for some O-Linemen, but those 2 for sure, maybe a QB. *sigh Carr may be traded and Sage takes over, rookie actually LEARNS from the sideline as he transitions from college to the pros. The personality of this team changes drastically from mediocre to one of showing it on the field that we want to win.

Titans should build on this exciting season. Haven't really gotten a chance to watch many Titans games other than against the Texans and if they made game of the week on NFL Network to see where they are lacking. One thing is true, they are finding ways to win.

Colts may be peaking or this is the season where it starts to go down hill. Would be pretty nice if we had enough to get Freeney - I can dream, right? :-) Colts will still hav a winning season, but will acqure more losses as well.

Jaguars might fal off, but not drastically.

In all I think every team gets a win over the other next season and the Afc South is the tough division in the NFL next season.

thunderkyss
12-27-2006, 07:33 AM
:confused:
...I'm going to need an explanation for this.....

Texans 13-3

that means the Texans will win 13 games....... and lose 3.....

Titans luck will run out next year, Teams will gameplan VY better next year, and that Defense is the worst in the AFC South.

Do you see how Tony Romo has stopped...teams will gameplan for Vince Young.

& that's why teams are getting beat by Vince Young.

He's just the QB. Show me a game where the Titans have won, but had a poor rushing day.... Show me when the Cowboys have won, and had a poor rushing day. Show me a loss, where they've rushed for over 100 yards....

The key to stopping the Cowboys, and the key to beating the Titans, is stopping the run.

We owned the Titans in Tennssee(stat-wise) because we focused on stopping their running game. But at home, we were so focused on stopping Vince, we let Travis Henry go off.

Remember when we signed Weaver, our coach said the keys to victory were stopping the run, and running the ball. We need to get back to that, and stick with it.

kastofsna
12-27-2006, 07:33 AM
considering that rosenfels has outplayed carr in games, preseason and in practice, why do some texans fans think they'll just trade carr and give the keys to rosenfels, when they haven't done that THIS year?

doughboy
12-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Colts 12-4

Titans 5-11

Stats wise yes we are horrible on defense. But watch a titans game there is no bigger playmaker on defense in the AFC than Pacman jones. Chris hope is the best safty in the afc south Maybe the AFC, Keith Bullucks the best linebacker and KVB is probally the best the best pash rusher(leads leauge in takedowns.) Plus if you expect us to 5-11 next year we have 40+million dollars of cap room. And we only have one player we need to resign that will be a free agent and thats bobby wade. And as far as gamplaning for vince people put 3+ spies on this guy and expect to do good in pass coverage you cant stop him /pick your poison run or pass either way hes gonna tear you up .......there is no gameplaning. So yeah we will be 5-11 win :pigfly:

Sarg01
12-27-2006, 09:57 AM

Too homer?

Homer? Man, not even close. Try this on for size:

Texans, 19-0
Titans, bought by UT booster club and moved onto campus
Jaguars, purchased by druglords and moved to LA
Colts, make it under the salary cap by renting Peyton out for on-field commercials, but he keeps getting sacked by the Capitol One raging barbarians (What's in your wallet?)

TheOgre
12-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Here are some of the "if's" for the Colts run defense in 2007:

1. Can DT Corey Simon regain his 2005 form? (And what exactly did he do to get injured this season? Eat too many steaks?)

2. SS Bob Sanders needs to play more than 1-2 games.

3. Will Anthony "Boogar" McFarland return to his former glory?

4. What kind of impact will their 1st round selection (who will almost assuredly be a front seven defender) have as a rookie?

5. Can Montae Reagor stay healthy?

6. Who do they sign in FA?

If they can get back to respectability against the run, they could dominate the league.

doughboy
12-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Colts dont have any money they have the lowest cap number in the league and like I said Dwight isnt coming back along with a lot more of there key players .

Sarg01
12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Colts dont have any money they have the lowest cap number in the league and like I said Dwight isnt coming back along with a lot more of there key players .

Freeney not coming back may actually save them. Then they'll have money to spend to fix their run-D. They'll still have Robert Mathis, so its not as if their entire pass rush will disappear.

doughboy
12-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Freeney not coming back may actually save them. Then they'll have money to spend to fix their run-D. They'll still have Robert Mathis, so its not as if their entire pass rush will disappear.

Freeny takes pressure off mathis.Heck if you put Dwight Freeny on one side of the line and Micheal Jackson on the other side he will get 10+ sacks.

DenverBorn
12-27-2006, 04:24 PM
I'll probably get rained on from texan and titan fans, but I haven't seen enough passing from Vince Young yet to make them a favorite. His stats look good this week, he's a heck of an athlete with unquestionable scrambling and leadership skills, but I haven't seen the pocket skills yet that make him a McNair or Steve Young as opposed to a Mike Vick.

Nonetheless, titan fans have a reason to be optimistic and excited. After a couple off years, they are again on the rise.

As a homer, I'll take my Jags even up against them next year.

Have you watched Vince play? He creates his own pockets as teams have to rush him differently. Ask the Texans if they'll bring an all-out blitz again on 3rd and 14. Just as in college - teams have to rush/contain Vince differently, which gives him more time to throw. He had 22 and 29 yard TD passes last week, demonstrating his ability to stay in the pocket and throw. And linebackers are more hesitant to back up into the passing lanes in fear of his getting into open space on a scramble. He won't rack up a bunch of 300 yard games because the Titans are running a balanced run/throw offense. They'll get to the Super Bowl on the same philosophy as last year's Steelers. And frankly when New England was winning Super Bowls it wasn't on the back of a bunch of 300 yard + passing performances by Tom Brady.

as far as the question, I see it this way:

Titans 12-4
Colts 10-6
Jags 8-8
Texans 7-9

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, the Texans are still a year or two away from being a playoff team.

Carr Bombed
12-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Vince Young is Randall Cunningham on steroids. I didn't think his game would translate like it has. I knew he would be able to make a few plays with his legs and make a few throws, but my god its like he didn't leave college..........that is scary.

The Texans need to continue to go defense in the draft and FA. Defense and Oline. Grab a true FS, a #2 corner so we can put Faggins back in the nickle where he's a very good player and Oline. Next draft we'll know without a doubt if we need a replacement for Carr or not and we'll cross that bridge when it comes. If we do have to cross that bridge we'll have a outstanding D in place and a solid Oline to put our knew QB behind.

SicilianJag
12-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I was at the titans-Jags game and he did nothing to impress me against a good defense that kept him in the pocket. Now, granted, he was not called on to do much since he only had to be on the field for 15 minutes, but he also didn't convert any 3rd down plays.

I don't mean to say I don't think he'll be good, or that he won't end up as the best QB in the draft, or that he won't become McNair or Steve Young. Just that I haven't seen enough passing yet. By all team accounts, he's a sponge. Anoher offseason and he may have Manning-like control of the offense.

No doubt he is fun to watch and no one can take away his record in the past several games. And the whole country learned not to overlook him last January. I'm just saying that I'm not ready to annoint him yet.

And I can't even respond to the comments that the Jags have peaked. I mean, does anyone think their QB and WR play can get any worse?

thunderkyss
12-27-2006, 06:08 PM
And I can't even respond to the comments that the Jags have peaked. I mean, does anyone think their QB and WR play can get any worse?

Well can we at least agree that the Jags were over-rated coming into the season, and your 12-4 record last year was due to a weak....... weak schedule??

SicilianJag
12-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I'll admit to having an inconsistent, schizophrenic team this year, and the 12-4 record last year was in part because of an easy schedule. But winning the games you're supposed to is nothing to apologize for. If we'd done that this year the last two games of the season wouldn't have mattered.

I may be looking at it through teal colored glasses, but I see us with a healthy cap, a young team team, strong defense and running game. We may or may not be the best in the division next year, but we absolutely will be a contender. My only hesitation to predict a 16-0 season (j.k.) like the texan, titan and colt fans predict for their team is that I doubt our QB & WR problem can be cured this offseason. My priorities would be finding a free agent WR that can be a strong #1 and getting healthy again - Darius, Peterson, Hayward, Stroud...

Truth is I expect our division to really beat up on each other next year and we'll have a bunch of .500 teams. The team that can win the close games will take the division. That's what salary cap and draft position does - even the playing field.

cuppacoffee
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Homer? Man, not even close. Try this on for size:

Texans, 19-0
Titans, bought by UT booster club and moved onto campus
Jaguars, purchased by druglords and moved to LA
Colts, make it under the salary cap by renting Peyton out for on-field commercials, but he keeps getting sacked by the Capitol One raging barbarians (What's in your wallet?)

Sounds reasonable to me.:)

DenverBorn
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
considering that rosenfels has outplayed carr in games, preseason and in practice, why do some texans fans think they'll just trade carr and give the keys to rosenfels, when they haven't done that THIS year?

Are you kidding? Rosenfels was injured and is out for the season. We'll never know, but it wouldn't have surprised me if his playing time had increased in the last few games of the year, so the staff could make an evaluation.

Put me in the camp that thinks Rosenfels could be a decent if not better starter in the NFL. I would love to see us trade Carr, start Rosenfels and develop a young QB behind him.