PDA

View Full Version : take a QB in the draft???

johndoe
12-25-2006, 11:59 PM
if we were to take a QBin the upcoming draft which round do yall think it will be???

dont think we will pick a qb
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
6th
7th

Ole Miss Texan
12-26-2006, 12:35 AM
don't think we pick qb either unless t. smith miraculously falls to us in the 2nd. after that maybe kolb in third but we should probably pick fs, cb,lb,dt,ol all before qb unless someone great falls so us in a later round.

mexican_texan
12-26-2006, 12:41 AM
After watching that secondary get burned so much throughout the season, I'm hoping at least two of our first four picks are in the secondary. As much as I want a new QB, it would be a waste to draft one since Kubiak only carries two QBs on the roster.

GNTLEWOLF
12-26-2006, 01:22 AM
I think we need O-line, D-backs, and RB( in that order) more than a QB. We saw Sunday that Carr is serviceable with a good o-line and running game. I just can't see drafting a QB. That position is not our greatest need.

Aztequila
12-26-2006, 01:32 AM
No QBs, just O-line and a Running Back.

mexican_texan
12-26-2006, 01:36 AM
While Carr had a nice day with good protection, the horrible secondary showed that no matter the QB play, the team won't be consistent unless there are some changes at DB.

I also don't think RB is a need, not when Ron Dayne has been averaging 100 yards in the past few weeks. I saw some flashes in Taylor...he's a keeper.

TSgt.Texan
12-26-2006, 02:41 AM
I think we need O-line, D-backs, and RB( in that order) more than a QB. We saw Sunday that Carr is serviceable with a good o-line and running game. I just can't see drafting a QB. That position is not our greatest need.Diddo except don't just give Carr the job make him earn it in training camp or bring in a Vet. i.e Garcia or Plumer.

J-Storm
12-26-2006, 06:56 AM
As much of a Carr fan as I am, I would like to see a QB on the roster that we can groom for the near future (I took the Rd 3 option in the poll). I don't know if bringing in an old hack is the way to go, it all depends on who we could get in here before the draft I suppose. If we couldn't get a servicable (sp?) back up veteran that can push Carr, then keeping Sage on the roster to push him and bringing in someone to learn the system is my preferred option...JMO!

TheOgre
12-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Carr looks nice when things go according to plan. The problem is that I don't see him capable of carrying the team if the defense and rushing attack are absent for a game. Many other QB's can win shoot outs, but Carr doesn't seem one of them.

DocBar
12-26-2006, 08:37 AM
I chose not to vote. I would MUCH rather see the Texans draft some DB's, OL and DL. RB in the later rounds. Has anyone heard any more about Spencer's injury? Last I heard, it MAY be career threatening due to the location of the break. I mentioned DL cuz I doubt if Payne will make it back from this latest stint on IR. When the man gets injured, he gets injured in a bad way.

Andrew6
12-26-2006, 08:38 AM
I am not sure that Garcia will be an option for any team to pick up, as far as plummer i think he's a good QB but i don't see him being much better than what we got. he made the same mistakes that davey made, only difference is he had someone who could take his spot, now had Rosenfels been there for a year or two and wasn't hurt. Carr would have been out of job or became the second string.

whiskeyrbl
12-26-2006, 08:58 AM
I agree with the toast of a secondary we have we need to improve our secondary and LB spots (Except MLB). As much as I think we may need to get a new QB, we may need to look at FA this year for one. Next year look at Colt Brennan from Univ. of Hawaii.

TNTitan
12-26-2006, 09:16 AM
just not in the first round. that wouldnt look good at all

MIGHTYTEX
12-26-2006, 09:58 AM
While Carr had a nice day with good protection, the horrible secondary showed that no matter the QB play, the team won't be consistent unless there are some changes at DB.

I also don't think RB is a need, not when Ron Dayne has been averaging 100 yards in the past few weeks. I saw some flashes in Taylor...he's a keeper.

I agree with this statement. As for the RB position I think if we keep Dayne we'll be set with Davis, Dayne, Lundy, Taylor if Davis comes back 100%

YoungTexanFan
12-26-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree with the toast of a secondary we have we need to improve our secondary and LB spots (Except MLB). As much as I think we may need to get a new QB, we may need to look at FA this year for one. Next year look at Colt Brennan from Univ. of Hawaii.

Why? His mechanics suck and there will be more questions about them than when Carr was coming out. He is undersized as it is, and seems reluctant to stand erect in the pocket. He lacks a good arm, and seems to bend his knee's similiar to Carr when in the pocket. Carr was a MUCH better prospect coming out, but Brennan shares the same faults as Carr but is much LESS of a prospect than Carr. I'll pass.

kastofsna
12-26-2006, 10:18 AM
mechanics are such a non-issue with scouts.

YoungTexanFan
12-26-2006, 10:21 AM
mechanics are such a non-issue with scouts.

To a point. But then you have to factor it in with other oddities such as size, conference, current offense, and other various physical abilities where he comes up short. I wouldn't take him before the 3rd this year, and I would not draft him period if I were Rick Smith. I would dangle the pick and move back.

kastofsna
12-26-2006, 10:25 AM
the only real pressing concern that scouts have with him is his size, and most think he can bulk up a bit more anyway.

the conference is a non-factor, and teams have shown before that the offense a QB plays in doesn't seem to bother them much.

YoungTexanFan
12-26-2006, 10:28 AM
the only real pressing concern that scouts have with him is his size, and most think he can bulk up a bit more anyway.

the conference is a non-factor, and teams have shown before that the offense a QB plays in doesn't seem to bother them much.

I think you're being overly optimistic with him. He is short, undersized, has almost a side arm release, can't hit a deep out, doesn't have a great arm, and has not proven to be able to run anything other than the run and gun.

beerlover
12-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I doubt he is able to look down the field in the pocket (NFL) & question his arm strength because he throws falling back & off balance alot (the ball floats too much) :shades:

kastofsna
12-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I think you're being overly optimistic with him. He is short, undersized, has almost a side arm release, can't hit a deep out, doesn't have a great arm, and has not proven to be able to run anything other than the run and gun.
these aren't my opinions. coaches, scouts and the like have all said what i'm parroting back to you.

beerlover
12-26-2006, 11:36 AM
these aren't my opinions. coaches, scouts and the like have all said what i'm parroting back to you.

keep parroting, sorry if we don't agree with everything but most of the time we do :)

I like John Beck, BYU or Trent Edwards, Stanford better, but I'm not a coach or pro scout. just IMO, both seem to be better fits for the pro game :twocents:

Erratic Assassin
12-26-2006, 11:54 AM
It would be a mistake to take a QB in the next draft. The last draft would have been the year to do that (Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart) and we passed on the opportunity.

2002 wasn't a good year to get a QB (David Carr, Joey Harrington) but Casserly believed there is a franchise QB in every draft. You tell me if he's right or wrong. The 2007 draft will be like the 2002 draft. You'll just be drafting the next David Carr.

Personally I don't believe you need a QB to win the games for you. You just need a guy who won't lose the game for you. We have so many needs on this team, I'd hate to see us waste another high draft pick on a QB. As far as getting a QB in the later rounds, forget it. You're drafting career backups in the later rounds (Tom Brady is the exception not the rule).

We need a franchise LT (not Spencer, not Pitts). We need a true center, we need defensive tackles that can stop the run up the middle, we need a cornerback, we need a safety, we need a running back.

When are we EVER going to address these needs? If it were up to the fans we'd draft a new QB every year because fans hold the mistaken believe that if the team wins it's the QB and if the team loses it's the QB.

whiskeyrbl
12-26-2006, 01:04 PM

All except the size sounds like what was said about a certain Titan QB last year

Texas_Thrill
12-26-2006, 09:14 PM

well now the only thing that steve mcnair ran before coming out was the run and gun. i think he's turned out ok. this is NOT a comparison to mcnair but i think what kind of offense a qb ran is less important than we think.

threetoedpete
12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
don't think we pick qb either unless t. smith miraculously falls to us in the 2nd. after that maybe kolb in third but we should probably pick fs, cb,lb,dt,ol all before qb unless someone great falls so us in a later round.

I voted "no". But I'm in this camp also, Ole Miss. Just a guess. Mine's John Beck in the forth. He's already running kube's offense. Kubiak only Kept two. Had one on the practice aquad. Last week I thought DC was toast...now I'm not so sure. Even with the trophy, I'll be very surprised if anyone spends a one pick on a 6' QB.

threetoedpete
12-26-2006, 10:56 PM
No QBs, just O-line and a Running Back.

Bit radical there AZ...but I got your point. Left tackle to move Spencer to RT
would be sweet. Center gaurd/guy early day two ought to do it. JMHO.
http://www.gbnreport.com/probowl.htm

YoungTexanFan
12-26-2006, 10:58 PM
All except the size sounds like what was said about a certain Titan QB last year

VY also had a few extra factors that will make him a franchise QB. VY could run like he stole something, and he can throw the intermediate routes very well. VY just had an "it" factor, and everyone knew/knows that now. Only Colts family will tell you that he has the same "it" factors and only a blind man linking his name to a horse will tell you he can run in the NFL.

threetoedpete
12-26-2006, 11:03 PM
I chose not to vote. I would MUCH rather see the Texans draft some DB's, OL and DL. RB in the later rounds. Has anyone heard any more about Spencer's injury? Last I heard, it MAY be career threatening due to the location of the break. I mentioned DL cuz I doubt if Payne will make it back from this latest stint on IR. When the man gets injured, he gets injured in a bad way.

I moved that thread on Spencers injury to the top of the bull pen after the GBN article came out on the probowl OLT's came out last night. The bottom line is we saw a report on that thread that Spencer was running lightly...by a ...friend. I'm of the opinion they won't know for certain for a few more weeks...end of Febuary. That's just a guess by me. I'm hoping at the end of the year press conference...Kubiak will have mercy on us and touch on it. My thinking...is if he's not at 100% and they can move the post leg to the other side...he'd have less of a chance fo rebreaking the leg. Again, I dunno, and I ain't in the loop ...just thinking out loud.