PDA

View Full Version : Bring us LaRon Landry

joedinkle
12-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Great game today. It was both my first Texans game and NFL game to go to. Everyone did great all around. That being said, we need help bad in the secondary. Why does Petey continue to get burnt? Dunta made a lot of good plays today, but the rest of the secondary still needs help. Is this still our number 1 priority? Can we pick up a good safety for a reasonable price in FA? What are your thoughts?

Scooter
12-24-2006, 08:14 PM
my top priority is, and always has been the offensive line. that being said, having a true centerfielder to play the free safety position is a very close second on my list. from the little i've seen from landry and from the lot i've heard, it wouldnt hurt my feelings in the least if we landed him in the early first round and hit the offensive & defensive trenches with the rest of the first day & early second day picks.

edit: congrats on your first game, my first game was the "david carr leap" to win the game against jacksonville. it sure is great to experience that kind of high on your first trip. i hope you had a hell of a time and be sure to go to plenty more .... you might just be good luck.

johndoe
12-24-2006, 08:20 PM
well since we won our way out of the possibility of getting adrian peterson and definitely joe thomas by winning today and probably next week... laron landry would prolly be the next best option for the texans(inless we could trade down for extra pics)

faggins-landry-earl-robinson...

kastofsna
12-24-2006, 09:11 PM
BPA. whoever that may be.

mexican_texan
12-24-2006, 09:15 PM
well since we won our way out of the possibility of getting adrian peterson and definitely joe thomas by winning today and probably next week... laron landry would prolly be the next best option for the texans(inless we could trade down for extra pics)

Makes me sick....I can't stand the sight of Faggins as the second DB. Draft Hall, Draft Cason, sign Clements, do whatever, just make sure Faggins is at best a nickel corner.

Texas_Thrill
12-24-2006, 10:36 PM

please get faggins out of their and back in nickel.

Ole Miss Texan
12-24-2006, 10:57 PM
I agree...I would love landry or nelson a lot. but i don't want to see faggins as our #2 cb. I hope we sign clements/samuel but don't see us winning that out. so i'm really leaning towards leon hall or cason...whoever they think the best cb would be for us. that would probably help our secondary most.

Do y'all think that hall/cason would have more impact on our secondary leaving cc as fs or drafting landry/nelson leaving faggins as cb?

painekiller
12-25-2006, 12:51 AM
I agree...I would love landry or nelson a lot. but i don't want to see faggins as our #2 cb. I hope we sign clements/samuel but don't see us winning that out. so i'm really leaning towards leon hall or cason...whoever they think the best cb would be for us. that would probably help our secondary most.

Do y'all think that hall/cason would have more impact on our secondary leaving cc as fs or drafting landry/nelson leaving faggins as cb?

A lot of the TDs we think are Faggins fault, is really the safety never got there. CC Brown just plays the run to much, he was to close to the line on the Marvin Harris long pass, he barely noticed Harris getting past him.

We need a good center field type safety. Landry and Nelson and now maybe this guy from Hawaii.

I vote for a true safety with a project type at CB. Really want Clements just don't see him coming here unless Moulds has some pull.

Ole Miss Texan
12-25-2006, 12:55 AM
A lot of the TDs we think are Faggins fault, is really the safety never got there. CC Brown just plays the run to much, he was to close to the line on the Marvin Harris long pass, he barely noticed Harris getting past him.

We need a good center field type safety. Landry and Nelson and now maybe this guy from Hawaii.

I vote for a true safety with a project type at CB. Really want Clements just don't see him coming here unless Moulds has some pull.

Yea I know a lot of it is CC's fault (lol yea and charlie casserly's) but i dont want to have to have a fs to cover faggins guy every single time.

Good point on moulds i hadn't even related. sure hope he knows clements and can convince him...could be a pettite/clemens deal hahah

htownfoozball
12-25-2006, 01:00 AM
CC doesnt have the speed or the instincts to stop the long passes. Faggins cant cover worth crap, but drafting a FS would be the safest thing to do. Our organization isnt in the position to take chances on a relatively weak crop of CB's.

Ole Miss Texan
12-25-2006, 01:01 AM
CC doesnt have the speed or the instincts to stop the long passes. Faggins cant cover worth crap, but drafting a FS would be the safest thing to do. Our organization isnt in the position to take chances on a relatively weak crop of CB's.

Do you see any of the top 5 cornerbacks dropping to us in the 2nd round? and would they be worth picking up then? any of them a steal for us in the 2nd?

painekiller
12-25-2006, 02:12 PM
I do believe that a good CB will be there in the 2nd, the problem is so should Amobi Okoye who is only 20 and should look real good next to Williams.

Here is a top 10 list senior CBs, and some seniors on the cusp, many of these guys will fall to 3rd,
1. Leon Hall Michigan
2. Marcus McCauley Fresno State
3. Fred Bennett South Carolina
4. Aaron Ross Texas
5. Eric Weddle Utah (FS)
6. Daymeion Hughes California
7. David Irons Auburn
8. Tanard Jackson Syracuse
9. Marcus Hamilton Virginia
10. Josh Wilson Maryland
-John Talley Duke
- Tarell Brown Texas
- Marquis Cole Northwestern
- C.J. Wilson Baylor
- Dashon Goldson Washington (FS)
- Kenny Scott Georgia Tech
- DeAndre Jackson Iowa State
- Travarous Bain Hampton
- Zach Bowman Nebraska (INJURY)
Also wanted to include a list of juniors, not all will declair:
Antoine Cason ~ Arizona
Darrelle Revis ~ Pittsburgh
Chris Houston ~ Arkansas
Paul Oliver ~ Georgia
C.J. Gaddis ~ Clemson
Zack Bowman ~ Nebraska
Chevis Jackson ~ Louisiana State
Dwight Lowery ~ San Jose State
J.R Bryant ~ Florida State
Simeon Castille ~ Alabama
Tracey Porter ~ Indiana
Michael Jenkins ~ South Florida
Eric Wright ~ Nevada - Las Vegas
Jimmie Sutton ~ North Carolina State
Wilrey Fontenot ~ Arizona
Ryan Smith ~ Florida
DeJuan Tribble ~ Boston College
Adam Shada ~ Iowa
Terrell Thomas ~ Southern California
Dominique Rodgers ~ Tennessee State
Jonathan Zenon ~ Louisiana State
Terrence Wheatley ~ Colorado
Marcus Walker ~ Oklahoma
Ambrose Wooden ~ Nore Dame
Roshaun Fellows ~ Tennessee
Matteral Richardson ~ Arkansas
Stanley Franks ~ Idaho
Trae Williams ~ South Florida
Lionell Singleton ~ Florida International
Glenn Sharpe ~ Miami-Florida
Trey Brown ~ U.C.L.A.
Cortney Grixby ~ Nebraska
Isaiah Gardner ~ Maryland
Jamal Harris ~ Minnesota
Jack Williams ~ Kent State
Ben Criddle ~ Brigham Young
Leslie Majors ~ Indiana
Terrell Vinson ~ Purdue
Steven Williams ~ Harvard
D.J. Wolfe ~ Oklahoma

TexansSeminole
12-25-2006, 04:51 PM
IMO we can get a CB that could compete for a starting job on our team in this draft around the 3rd round. There won't be many free safeties available (good ones anyway) past the late 2nd. A FS like Landry or Nelson would change our defense for the better immediately.

Big J
12-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I totally agree that Faggins should be our nickel...but CC Brown is so bad. Like its hard to watch his mistakes because they cause us to give up huge plays.

Say what you want about Faggins but CC Brown is far worse. We need to address FS before OL and Corner.

beerlover
12-25-2006, 10:03 PM
not to hard to figure you can upgrade positional players with higer rated prospects but not always a sure thing. both Faggins & CC where selected in the 6th rd. & have provided to be serviceable. it is not outside the realm of resonable thinking that even 2nd/3rd rd. talent would provide improvement.

Ole Miss Texan
12-25-2006, 10:35 PM
IMO we can get a CB that could compete for a starting job on our team in this draft around the 3rd round. There won't be many free safeties available (good ones anyway) past the late 2nd. A FS like Landry or Nelson would change our defense for the better immediately.

Point taken. Bring on Nelson/Landry. I do like the idea of Okoye in the 2nd...think he'll last till then?

johndoe
12-25-2006, 10:36 PM
if we were to pick laron landry in the first, who do yall think would be the best corners still around in the second and third rounds???

Texian
12-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Regarding CBs you really have to wait until the combine for many of them to shake out. The 40 time is probably more important for a CB than any other position. Those who can run a 4.4 or below are really going to help themselves.

ledzeppelin229
12-25-2006, 11:27 PM
I think it would really benefit our secondary to not only draft a young CB but to sign a smart veteran as well. Someone that may not be the most athletic anymore but with good leadership skills that can compete with Faggins for the nickel spot. And I would prefer this guy to not be named Lewis Sanders or Dexter McCleon.

We can pick up an upgrade for CC Brown as a FA or take him somewhere later in the first day to compete with CC. Unless they just think a first round FS is head and shoulders above every other player available, I think of it as almost a luxury pick. We don't have that luxury right now, as much as our safeties seem to be a liability.

painekiller
12-25-2006, 11:32 PM
I do like the idea of Okoye in the 2nd...think he'll last till then?

Yes, I think he slides into the 2nd round, now how far into the round is a big question.