PDA

View Full Version : Vonta Leach

Scooter
12-24-2006, 07:52 PM
wow. this kid has seriously impressed me, and at the fullback position, that's not something that's easy to do. all season long we've had to watch cook clog up running lanes instead of flattening linebackers, juggling (or dropping) easy passes, and fumbling the ball at the worst times. leach on the other hand has been absolutely dynamite in the run game and as far as i can tell hasnt missed anything thrown his way yet. i cant be the only one that's noticed that dayne went nuts running the ball at the same time leach became a starter. i'm really looking forward to seeing a lot more of this kid next year.

12-24-2006, 07:54 PM
leach is a stud, great find.

johndoe
12-24-2006, 08:23 PM
what he said:marionaner:

GP
12-24-2006, 08:24 PM
1. Moran Norris was cut because I guess Kubiak wanted Cook.

2. Cook is a bust, IMO. Enter Leach.

3. Leach is what they thought Cook would be.

4. Leach is now THE MAN at FB: Pancake blocks, bulldoze blocks, releasing from blocks and catching the ball, HOLDING ONTO the football once he has it, and most importantly he is MAKING PLAYS after the catch.

I've always said that good teams utilize the FB and the TE.

The TE screen, however, was a fairly laughable playcall IMO. Had to giggle at the idea of Breuner "The Jet" getting the call in that situation.

I don't know why our team goes such long stretches with/without utilizing the FB and TE. I think it opens up more opportunities for the RBs and WRs. It freezes the LBs into the middle of the field because they are trying to anticipate having to come up and cover/tackle the FB or TE running what is usually a shorter route or what you might consider to be more of a "ball control" type route where you try to get 3-5 tough yards.

The shotgun, IMO, has been totally scrapped for some reason. Would be nice to see us use it when the defense is blitzing more consistently.

Yeah, Leach laid a dude OUT on one of Dayne's TD runs. Niiiiiiiiiice. That was Moran Norris 101. I think Leach might be even more physical than Norris, though...which is scary.

valleytexfan
12-24-2006, 08:25 PM
What a find...props to Mike Sherman. Leach plays hard and has been fantastic

Scooter
12-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah, Leach laid a dude OUT on one of Dayne's TD runs. Niiiiiiiiiice. That was Moran Norris 101. I think Leach might be even more physical than Norris, though...which is scary.

i wasnt a big fan of norris because he was inconsistant and not nearly as eager to dish out punishment as leach is. he might've been a decent blocker, but he wasnt the nasty lead mauler that teams crave. this kid is very decisive and goes hunting as opposed to waiting to see who gets in the lane. it's only been a few games, but i just cant say enough good things about the way he's played so far.

you're right about the screen, i couldnt help but laugh at bruener in that situation. putz has run a couple great screens and was in the game, so the reason to give the play to bruener is beyond me.

V Man
12-24-2006, 09:15 PM
I like the kid. He plays with an attitude that more of the Texans need to play with.

BradK10
12-25-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm glad some other people noticed his play from yesterday, he was crucial to the victory, and I'd say player of the game.

alphajoker
12-25-2006, 09:33 AM
This kid has been huge for us! I love his game...he's a bulldozer and he has the hands to make plays from out of the backfield to include not fumbling. If he doesn't go into next season as the starter it will be a travesty.

LORK 88
12-25-2006, 09:46 AM
im a fan! He always gives 100% on every play and is a hard worker. He can catch as well as Cook could AND can actually block. We've got to make sure he's around here for a while, as he will pave the way for some 1000 yard rushers. Also, I allready gave him a nickname, hope everyone finds it fitting!

HJam72
12-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Speaking of TEs, am I right that Daniels didn't play in this game (enough for me to notice anyway) because we wanted to run so much, or is he hurt or something?

LORK 88
12-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Speaking of TEs, am I right that Daniels didn't play in this game (enough for me to notice anyway) because we wanted to run so much, or is he hurt or something?
sore shoulder, he was a gametime decision and im assuming that he couldnt play.

texaslifter
12-25-2006, 10:36 AM
im real excited about this guy. a top teir blocking fb is a major reason for success in the running game, and im just giddy with the idea that we may be joining that club soon

TexanFan881
12-25-2006, 10:36 AM
The shotgun, IMO, has been totally scrapped for some reason. Would be nice to see us use it when the defense is blitzing more consistently.

I'm disappointed they haven't been using it more. With talk about the OL not holding up you would think that we would use it more often, but we never do. On the one play we used it, when I heard it before the snap, I laughed to myself. We were finally going to use it. And then Carr had a nice run on the QB sneak...

HJam72
12-25-2006, 10:39 AM
sore shoulder, he was a gametime decision and im assuming that he couldnt play.

Thanx, Lork.

Zac
12-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Good Job Leach.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
12-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I loved watching him yesterday, they way he lead for Dayne reminded me of L. Neal leading the way for LT!