PDA

View Full Version : Before ya get too excited

Grid
12-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Im not trying to be a grinch, I just want to point a couple things out before people start wavering, or having second thoughts about what this team needs to do.

There is only one thing that we, as fans, should be excited about, and I will point it out at the end.

1) Carr did not win this game, he just stayed out of the way. Our running game won this game. If anything it looked like we were trying to keep Carr from having to make plays, we never gave him the ball in a tough situation.

2) Dayne did great.. but he did it against the worst defense in the league, and the worst run defense by far. No this is not a blossoming of our running game. We still need to figure out who is going to share carries with Dayne, and we still need to improve our Oline alot.

Now, the one thing we have to be excited about is Gary Kubiak. He went in with a good gameplan.. knew what needed to be done to beat Indi, and he executed that plan. He showed intelligence and understanding of the game, and the ability to analyze the tape and figure it out.

We will get more wins against indi (and everyone else) in the future with Kubiak at the helm.

Let me also say that im damn proud of the Texans and I love my team! :yahoo: Go Texans and Merry Christmas!

kbourda
12-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Im not trying to be a grinch, I just want to point a couple things out before people start wavering, or having second thoughts about what this team needs to do.

There is only one thing that we, as fans, should be excited about, and I will point it out at the end.

1) Carr did not win this game, he just stayed out of the way. Our running game won this game. If anything it looked like we were trying to keep Carr from having to make plays, we never gave him the ball in a tough situation.

2) Dayne did great.. but he did it against the worst defense in the league, and the worst run defense by far. No this is not a blossoming of our running game. We still need to figure out who is going to share carries with Dayne, and we still need to improve our Oline alot.

Now, the one thing we have to be excited about is Gary Kubiak. He went in with a good gameplan.. knew what needed to be done to beat Indi, and he executed that plan. He showed intelligence and understanding of the game, and the ability to analyze the tape and figure it out.

We will get more wins against indi (and everyone else) in the future with Kubiak at the helm.

Let me also say that im damn proud of the Texans and I love my team! :yahoo: Go Texans and Merry Christmas!

Carr didn't make any mistakes and the biggest thing was HE MADE PLAYS. I think you're right but i'd be willing to give Carr and his team their moment. Hey, it's Christmas Eve! And the Texans beat the Colts! Does it get any better than that?!

K.D.
12-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Yo Grid, Carr did make a play in a tough situation. The 17-yard gain to AJ to get into fg range. That was a bigg play by DC. I agree with everything else you mentioned and Taylor might get alot more pt behind Dayne in the last game. But man this victory is so f###ing SWEEET!!!

Koolbrz
12-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Dude, try and enjoy the win without having to say anything neg. about anyone on the team. Everyone was on the same page and played the way they could have played this whole yr. I am very proud of the Texans and the way they played. I dont care about them playing the worst run defense in the league. All i saw today was the Texans taking care of a very potent offense and pulling out the win. Go Texans!!

dirty steve
remember that big win against jax week 16 in 2004? the next week we came home and put up that dud against the same cleveland team we are playing week 17 this year. it sure would be nice to go into this offseason with two straight wins after the Tenn. and NE debacles.

MrMeToo
Great Post.

Napa Auto Parts
12-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Liar Carr Won the game :stirpot: :sarcasm:

dtran04
12-24-2006, 04:31 PM
If the "other" QB can get credit for inspiring his D in scoring 3 defensive TD's, then Carr at least gets credit for getting his offense running.

Roughnecks
12-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Every week win or lose ya we beat a team we were 0-9 against and we all thought we stood no chance in beating but this guy was not very good this guy should have done this better I could have thrown it 75 yards. Man relax we won and everybody deserves credit for the win EVERYBODY we won.

FLYmeatwad
12-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I know there were problems, but it's a merry Christmas gift and a win is a win.

I'm just glad that after a week of embarassment seeing that 'Boycott the Texans: Stay Home on Christmas Eve' thread that we not only played a great game, but we won a close one. That would have been a Hell of a game to watch, it's a shame I live in the NJ.

DocBar
12-24-2006, 04:35 PM
I can think of several plays Carr made for. 17 yd pass to AJ for the GW FG, 12 yd pass for a 1st down in the 4th Quarter, I believe(He could've run out of bounds and taken a sack on that one), 2 QB keepers, 1 on 4th and 1 and another on 3rd and 4 or 5. And with this team, NOT making mistakes is, in itself, a big play. Carr did good. Give him his due.

HJam72
12-24-2006, 04:35 PM

Anytime any QB drops back to throw on this team, it is a tough situation. I wouldn't say that DC made up for several really bad games this year with his few pass plays today, but I would say that he did every bit of what was expected of him and maybe a little more. I did not see him throw a deep ball for a receiver to catch over their shoulder in stride, as I don't really remember at this point if I ever have, but he had several good rollout throws for badly needed first downs and the big play to finish it. That's all I wanted from him today. This one was on Dayne and Leach and they came through big. :redtowel:

TopTexanFan16
12-24-2006, 04:36 PM

Haha i fail to see why when we lose a game its carrs loss but when we win a game he doesnt get any credit. i think that your wrong and that carr deserves just as much credit for the win as dayne. but the rest of your post i somewhat agree with, merry christmas!

JDizzle
12-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Good post. I agree with you especially with what you said about Kubiak. The Colts stink against the run but they can get a good pass rush on pretty much anyone. Given our protection problems and Carr's tendency to make mistakes under pressure we absolutely had to have our best game on the ground today to win and we did. Great win all around today with the game ball going to Ron Dayne.

Hardcore Texan
12-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Carr made very good decisions today, you have to give him that. And Dayne looks really good, tons better than earlier this season when he was dealing with injuries. Taylor looked pretty darn good on his limited appearances IMO. It was total team effort, and Kris Brown actually made some clutch kicks, I am sure I wasn't the only one sweating bullets during that timeout before the FG. One of the sweetest victories that I can remember.

Ibar_Harry
12-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Anytime any QB drops back to throw on this team, it is a tough situation. I wouldn't say that DC made up for several really bad games this year with his few pass plays today, but I would say that he did every bit of what was expected of him and maybe a little more. I did not see him throw a deep ball for a receiver to catch over their shoulder in stride, as I don't really remember at this point if I ever have, but he had several good rollout throws for badly needed first downs and the big play to finish it. That's all I wanted from him today. This one was on Dayne and Leach and they came through big. :redtowel:

I'm absolutely amazed by some of these discussions. Congratulations to the Team and David. The reason Carr is not throwing down the field is the play calling. Kubiak did not want to throw the ball deep down the field against the Colts. Kubiak will only call a deep throw on a few occassions and today wasn't one of them.

Anyway Merry Christmas to all and lets hope the game against the Browns goes well. Another win would be a fitting end to a dismal season.

ThaShark316
12-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Great Post.

You only said that cuz he said something a little negative about carr...

Goldeagle
12-24-2006, 04:43 PM
They had injuries and we had injuries!

Great win by carr and the team.

threetoedpete

Go Texans and Merry Christmas!

Crawldaddy Crawl. lol.Too funny.

Grid
Dude, try and enjoy the win without having to say anything neg. about anyone on the team. Everyone was on the same page and played the way they could have played this whole yr. I am very proud of the Texans and the way they played. I dont care about them playing the worst run defense in the league. All i saw today was the Texans taking care of a very potent offense and pulling out the win. Go Texans!!

Not being negative.. just being pragmatic. We ran the ball almost twice as much as we passed it (42 rushes, 23 passes). We took the ball out of Carr's hands and depended on the running game.

It was a great win for us, but not for the reasons you are implying. No we could NOT have played that way all season, the only reason we were able to win this game is because of Indi's poor rushing defense. It allowed us to focus heavily on the run, eat up clock time, keep the Indi offense off the field, and keep the game close enough to pull out the win. If we tried to run the ball 42 times against a team with a rushing defense, we would not have had this kind of success.

Our defense did not play superbly. They played well, in that they kept a good offense from running up the score, but they did not play well enough to hand us the win. We were up by 14 in the first quarter and they let them come back on us. Really, we only made them punt ONCE, and forced one fumble. They scored every other time.. but it wasnt a big deal because our rushing attack kept them off the field.

Again, im not trying to give them a hard time.. they did well.. we won the game. But this win can be laid at the feet of Kubiak for his game planning, and to a lesser degree it can be attributed to our team as a whole for going out and playing a mistake free game, and getting the job done.

I know I sound like im bashing them but really im stoked.. im happy to see us go out there and play like a real football team. We didnt shoot ourselves in the foot like we have so many times before. I just dont want to see the facts get muddled by a bunch of chest beating. We went out with the right game plan to win this game, and we executed that game plan... I did not see anyone on the Texans playing better than they have played all season long, minus the fact that we didnt turn the ball over.

Grid
12-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Crawldaddy Crawl. lol.Too funny.

I dont get it.

Goldeagle
12-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I dont get it.

Hes accusing you of backing off Carr bashing I think, but I dont take you as a blind Carr hater.

BattleRedToro
The lack of downfield passing plays is more of a statement about Kubiak's lack of confidence in the pass protection then in his presumed lack of confidence in Carr's abilities as a QB in my opinion.

DatTexBoy

:yahoo: FREAKING EXCELLENT POST,:ok:

HJam72
12-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I don't know Grid. I totally agree that the gameplan was a very necessary and very important part of this win. I think we proved 2 years ago that this is the way to play the Colts, even though we lost that game. But, I believe I saw a lot of heart on that field. I saw D-linemen chasing down RBs from behind, and I don't just mean Mario. I saw AJ fighting to break loose of 4 defenders, although he couldn't do the impossible. There's been times when AJ didn't seem to fight to break free of one defender. I saw D-Rob looking like his old self again and Carr knowing when to leave the pocket when there was pressure.

What gets this stuff started? Teammates who see a fullback stickin' people and a runningback who won't go down on the first hit. That gets teammates excited. Of course, it IS the Colts D.

Grid
12-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Total agreement HJam. I loved to see our guys getting fired up out there. And anyone who says we dont care about winning just needs to see how Kris Brown got mauled by teammates after making that kick.

We played with a ton of heart out there and its another thing we can be very excited about. We are not anemic.. we have not accepted our lot as a bottom of the barrel team... there is still a lot of competitive attitude on this team.

Hottoddie
12-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Had we lost, it would've been all Carr's fault. But, we won, so Carr must've stayed out of the way. I respect & enjoy reading your posts Grid, but this one just makes me sit here & shake my head in disbelief.:shocked

threetoedpete
12-24-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know Grid. I totally agree that the gameplan was a very necessary and very important part of this win. I think we proved 2 years ago that this is the way to play the Colts, even though we lost that game. But, I believe I saw a lot of heart on that field. I saw D-linemen chasing down RBs from behind, and I don't just mean Mario. I saw AJ fighting to break loose of 4 defenders, although he couldn't do the impossible. There's been times when AJ didn't seem to fight to break free of one defender. I saw D-Rob looking like his old self again and Carr knowing when to leave the pocket when there was pressure.

What gets this stuff started? Teammates who see a fullback stickin' people and a runningback who won't go down on the first hit. That gets teammates excited. Of course, it IS the Colts D.

Streamin bull dung in the feild...the o-line ran into a depelted d-line. Everyone executed. That is all that happened today.

BattleRedToro
12-24-2006, 05:06 PM
We are not anemic.. we have not accepted our lot as a bottom of the barrel team... there is still a lot of competitive attitude on this team.

I think you meant apathetic here. Anemic would mean that the Texans have a low amount of hemoglobulin, an iron compound that carries oxygen, in their blood. Apathetic means you just don't care anymore.

Wolf
12-24-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't know about excited, but wins come far apart.

I don't see teams crying or playing down to us being we have lost
22 Alexander, Roc
43 Cook, Jameel
37 Davis, Domanick
58 Flanagan, Mike C
99 Johnson, Travis
97 Malone, Alfred DE
28 McKenzie, Chris
91 Payne, Seth
18 Rosenfels, Sage
21 Sanders, Lewis
77 Spencer, Charles
82 Steele, Ben
72 Wiegert, Zach

they had 5 probowlers on offense playing today and I don't feel sorry. a win is a win

Wolf
12-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Streamin bull dung in the feild...the o-line ran into a depelted d-line. Everyone executed. That is all that happened today.

what depleted D-line?

D. Clark TE Out Knee
B. Sanders S Questionable Knee
D. Reid DT Questionable Hand
M. Jackson CB Questionable Shoulder
G. Gardner LB Questionable Knee
D. Freeney DE Questionable Shoulder
B. Fletcher TE Questionable Quadricep
A. Bethea S Questionable Shoulder
J. Addai RB Questionable Ankle
C. June LB Questionable Knee
R. Proehl WR Questionable Hamstring

Injured Reserve
Player Status Injury
M. Doss S IR Knee
B. Stokley WR IR Achilles
J. Collins TE

freeney played

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/ind/injuries

Grid
12-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Had we lost, it would've been all Carr's fault. But, we won, so Carr must've stayed out of the way. I respect & enjoy reading your posts Grid, but this one just makes me sit here & shake my head in disbelief.:shocked

Ill be honest with you.

If we had given Carr the ball and thrown it as much as we ran it.. then yah, if we had lost it would have been another notch on Carrs belt of losses.

Also, if we had played the game the same way and hadnt won, I probably still would have been unhappy with Carr because he isnt stepping up and making plays, attributing to our wins.

Really though, id say im fairly consistent, because we DID win.. and im still pointing out that Carr is not the answer here, and it was not Carr that won this game.

So, really.. win, lose, or draw.. I believe that Carr is not the best thing for the future of this team. I like Carr.. he is a great guy, you couldnt meet a better guy, and I think he has a lot of talent.. but he is not a playmaker. Not for us anyway, maybe he could be in a different system with a more established team.

Ive said it before, and ill say it again.. as a team that is rebuilding, we cannot afford to have a QB that does not HELP the team win. People say that if we surrounded Carr with enough talent he could take us to a superbowl, and I agree.. but how long will that take? How many more bad seasons before we have enough talent? Will we ever even get enough talent? I dont want a QB that needs his teammates to pull him up and make him a star, I want a QB that can pull up his team and make them all stars.

BattleRedToro
12-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I want a QB that can pull up his team and make them all stars.

There is no such thing.

Hardcore Texan
12-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Ill be honest with you.

If we had given Carr the ball and thrown it as much as we ran it.. then yah, if we had lost it would have been another notch on Carrs belt of losses.

Also, if we had played the game the same way and hadnt won, I probably still would have been unhappy with Carr because he isnt stepping up and making plays, attributing to our wins.

Really though, id say im fairly consistent, because we DID win.. and im still pointing out that Carr is not the answer here, and it was not Carr that won this game.

So, really.. win, lose, or draw.. I believe that Carr is not the best thing for the future of this team. I like Carr.. he is a great guy, you couldnt meet a better guy, and I think he has a lot of talent.. but he is not a playmaker. Not for us anyway, maybe he could be in a different system with a more established team.

Ive said it before, and ill say it again.. as a team that is rebuilding, we cannot afford to have a QB that does not HELP the team win. People say that if we surrounded Carr with enough talent he could take us to a superbowl, and I agree.. but how long will that take? How many more bad seasons before we have enough talent? Will we ever even get enough talent? I dont want a QB that needs his teammates to pull him up and make him a star, I want a QB that can pull up his team and make them all stars.

As long as you are being honest, then you should note that Carr didn't make more throws because the gameplan was to run the ball and expose Indy's weakness. DC made very solid decisions and contributing greatly to this win, period! He should get his due, just like he gets all the bashing.

I am not talking outside this game, I am talking about this game and his and the team's execution. I am all for whatever wins games, and it easy for all of us to sit back and be critical, but we should also be willing to say he DID step up today and attribute for the win. I am just stating what I feel is the truth regarding today's win. I don't neccessarily disagree with you in the long term success of this team and if Carr is the answer, but I don't know as much as Kubiak and the other team members to confidently say he is not. I am a dedicated fan, and have been putting my faith in Kubiak and this organization and can only continue to support them.

threetoedpete
12-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Corey Simon...And what is sad...is that one guy healthy would of destroyed us today. Make no mistake about it. That is how razor thin the tallent is here on this team. Browns have nothing to lose but draft stasus...we'll see next week. Then you guys can get back to whippin up on DC. Like I posted in the other thread. I've grown to except DC not being here. However, IF Kubiack does what he said he was going to do, be a lot of people in this town and on this board with a heap of egg on thier faces. Vincent don't play for the Texans.

Keep Hope Alive !!!!

shinerbock_girl
12-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Just let us have our glory without analyzing Carr please..

kfranco_utexas
12-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Carr didnt do anything...COmpared to VInces performance...Youd be a fool to say Carr did great...

CHeck out Mr.VY

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/nflfilms/demand/s2006/nflcom/w16/titans_bills_short_300k.rm&rpcontexturl=http://www.nfl.com/fieldpass/includes/2006_week16_recap&rpcontextwidth=500&rpcontextheight=275

:stirpot:

aj.
12-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Carr made some plays today -- and made no mistakes. The notion that he "just stayed out of the way" is ridiculous.

The o-line played great. Dayne was great. The defense had a key stop or two.

Give them credit for a change.

tex
12-24-2006, 07:48 PM
). We took the ball out of Carr's hands and depended on the running game .
I thought that is what we have been trying to do all season, get a running game. Why throw when you can wear down the defense with the run? Remember Earl and the Oilers ? They just plowed the other teams defense.

NFLforher
12-24-2006, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Grid;550161]Im not trying to be a grinch, I just want to point a couple things out before people start wavering, or having second thoughts about what this team needs to do.

Right. :yawn:

Football is a team game and David made some great throws today.

pv1999
12-24-2006, 07:58 PM
You guys kill me with these chicken or the egg discussions.
When we win and run good, Carr didn't do it.
When we win and can't run, Carr didn't do it.
When we lose, running or not, it's Carr's fault.
When we have a running game going, Carr is a different QB well...duh.
Every QB is a different QB with a running game. That has been part of the problem all year. What other QB with any numbers worth mentioning have done it behind a line like ours with backs like ours or even better yet name one QB who could do better.

IshouldbeGM
12-24-2006, 08:22 PM
If you bash carr when he loses, then you must praise him when he wins. Today was a great win, give the guy his props.

Goldeagle
12-24-2006, 08:33 PM
I thought that is what we have been trying to do all season, get a running game. Why throw when you can wear down the defense with the run? Remember Earl and the Oilers ? They just plowed the other teams defense.

That is the offense we want to run

tsip
12-24-2006, 10:13 PM
You guys kill me with these chicken or the egg discussions.
When we win and run good, Carr didn't do it.
When we win and can't run, Carr didn't do it.
When we lose, running or not, it's Carr's fault.
When we have a running game going, Carr is a different QB well...duh.
Every QB is a different QB with a running game. That has been part of the problem all year. What other QB with any numbers worth mentioning have done it behind a line like ours with backs like ours or even better yet name one QB who could do better.

...what about the years when Carr had an RB?

ATX
12-24-2006, 10:43 PM
...what about the years when Carr had an RB?

Carr never had a full season of run production. Even with DD, it was never something we could fully count on. I'm still not a big fan of Carrs, but let's be straight. Carr never had a dependable running game. 5 Years

James Allen, Jonathon Wells, Stacey Mack, Dominick Davis, Tony Hollings, Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Samkon Gado, Chris Taylor

Which RB are you referring to?

Hervoyel
12-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I don't agree with you entirely on Dayne. I think you're too quick to discount his performance because it was against the Colts defense. If he'd done this today following weeks of doing nothing I'd agree but he's getting it done on the ground week in and week out regardless of the opponent. The only thing that seems to put a damper on the Dayne Train lately is when the coaches stop using him or the offense turns the ball over.

I expect Ron Dayne to be our starting RB next year and to perform at a high level. He's in an offense that truly suits him for probably the first time in his NFL career. He gives us the luxury of addressing other greater needs before RB.

Grid
12-24-2006, 11:31 PM
So.. yall are saying that in a game against the worst run defense in the league.. where we ran the ball 42 times for almost 200 yards, Carr should get credit and continue to be our quarterback because he managed to make 16 completions for 162 yards?

You are saying that because Carr, in the most optimal of situation possible for him, was able to not screw up.. that we should be patting him on the back?

I dont think he deserves that much credit, but its not like im riding his *** about it. He did a good job of not making any mistakes. And as I already said, I think he is a great and talented guy..and that in the right situation he could take a team to the superbowl. But im not gonna suck on his jockstrap because he managed to make a couple of passes in a game where we could run the ball at will, and did. Any QB on any team, starter or no, should have been able to make some throws in this situation.

Sorry I just cant drink that koolaid. I mean I can respect that people dont want to hear this junk AGAIN..after a big win. Sit back and enjoy it.. my only motive in starting this post was to counter all of the posts that I knew would be coming.

Those being:

"Should we keep Carr?"
"Should Dayne be our franchise RB?"
"Did this team just take the first step towards competitiveness?"

the answers to those questions are no, no, and no. Carr didnt light the world on fire, he just didnt mess up. Dayne had a great game against a running defense that is only ranked 32nd because there arent 64 teams. And while this was definatly a step in the right direction, we did not prove anything with this win.

If ya wanna be excited, be excited about us having a great coach that knows what he is doing.

I have a feeling some negative rep is coming my way.

Grid
12-24-2006, 11:34 PM
I don't agree with you entirely on Dayne. I think you're too quick to discount his performance because it was against the Colts defense. If he'd done this today following weeks of doing nothing I'd agree but he's getting it done on the ground week in and week out regardless of the opponent. The only thing that seems to put a damper on the Dayne Train lately is when the coaches stop using him or the offense turns the ball over.

I expect Ron Dayne to be our starting RB next year and to perform at a high level. He's in an offense that truly suits him for probably the first time in his NFL career. He gives us the luxury of addressing other greater needs before RB.

I wont disagree with you. I like Dayne and I think he definatly has a future here. Im not so sure that he can, or should, be our starting RB... but its obvious that he is very comfortable in our system, and could be a big contributor for us. I am also not sure that he has the stamina, or the hardiness to carry the ball 25-30 times a game for 16 games. Personally id like to pick up another quality RB to share carries with him (im developing a man crush for LaMont Jordan).

Ill give him credit for putting up a performance against Indi that matches the performance of other good RBs that have played Indi. He didnt slouch out there.

Hervoyel
12-24-2006, 11:36 PM
If you bash carr when he loses, then you must praise him when he wins. Today was a great win, give the guy his props.

That's a silly thing to say. Regardless of whether the team wins or loses Carr is a fair target for criticism if he does not produce. Likewise he deserves credit for when he does produce even when it happens in a loss. Production in clear garbage time is meaningless obviously but if he plays well he should get the credit and if he plays like crap then he gets the criticism.

Today he played ok. He didn't turn the ball over and he didn't make any glaring mistakes. To borrow a term from Dom Capers he executed. Carr critics should "in a general sense" take the week off. Carr lovers should applaud his effort but IMO shouldn't get too giddy about it. It was a solid, workmanlike effort but until he duplicates it week in and week out it wasn't a turning point.

tsip
12-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Carr never had a full season of run production. Even with DD, it was never something we could fully count on. I'm still not a big fan of Carrs, but let's be straight. Carr never had a dependable running game. 5 Years

James Allen, Jonathon Wells, Stacey Mack, Dominick Davis, Tony Hollings, Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Samkon Gado, Chris Taylor

...maybe you were off in 'neverland'...these are just stats from 1 back during the past 3 yrs--Dominic Davis

2003 1031+351=1382 All-purpose YDS 8 TDS
2004 1188+588=1776 " " " 13 TDS
2005 976+337=1313 " " " 6 TDS

Davis was injured in all 3 yrs, missing 5 games in 2005

tsip
12-25-2006, 12:22 AM

...just for the heck of it, let's look at where our total offense/passing/rushing ranked over the past 3 yrs

2003 31st 29th 23rd
2004 19th 18th 12th
2005 30th 30th 15th

cuppacoffee
12-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Carr made some plays today -- and made no mistakes. The notion that he "just stayed out of the way" is ridiculous.

The o-line played great. Dayne was great. The defense had a key stop or two.

Give them credit for a change.

Their dislike of Carr has obviously blinded them.

:coffee:

dalemurphy
12-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Grid is right. Carr wasn't spectacular and we ran on a horrid defense. However, one thing any reasonable person who saw the game should note, when Carr is comfortable in the pocket he is very, very good.

I'm not arguing he's anywhere among the elite NFL QBs. I'll even acknowledge that he's more limited than some of the second tier guys. However, if we go into next season with David at QB, a strong running game and a good OL will enable him to pick apart many of the teams in the NFL down the field.

Three plays of note: 1. On second and 14 in the fourth quarter, Carr play-actioned and dropped back to pass, he set his feet and saw the field then went underneath for 10 yards to Putzier. He looked poised, comfortable, and very accurate.

2. On a third and four in the fourth quarter, Carr play- actioned, dropped back and hit AJ on a 10 yard post. Again, perfect execution, poised and an excellent pass.

3. On first down late in the fourth, Carr play-actioned, dropped back and hit AJ on a deep-in for about 18. Again, he looked poised and a made a beautiful pass to setup the field goal.

All this losing and struggling makes it difficult to remember. But David is capable of playing very good football. He obviously will never be the difference maker at QB that Vince may become. He will never be able to carry a team like Elway, Favre, Marino, etc... However, given the right personnel around him, he can play at a very high level.

I truly believe he could be a much better QB for us than Jake Plummer or any of the players that could be an option for us next year. That's not to say that Plummer wouldn't have been better this year. Jake can make plays when they aren't there. However, I think David can be more efficient and steady and make more plays than Jake and many other QBs when he has time to throw. If he's the guy next year for us, as long as the team builds around his strengths, I think we'll see a very productive QB. Look at his completion percentage this year. There's plenty to complain about with his performance this season, particularly in the second half of the season. However, the statistics still show how accurate a passer he is. Let's just fix this dang Oline and avoid injuries there next year and see what happens.

One thing for sure though, he has to stop fumbling!

Just as I was about to give up on him, I'm again reminded and encouraged about his ability.

Wolf
12-25-2006, 02:20 AM
as vince has become?

vince wins ugly and that is fine with most of the fans here, Carr wins today that is ok and we still crucify his game..

geeze

tsip
12-25-2006, 02:40 AM
as vince has become?

vince wins ugly and that is fine with most of the fans here, Carr wins today that is ok and we still crucify his game..

geeze

OK. Vince put a lot of points on the board today, as he has been doing since he started--what's the Titan's winning streak now--6 or 7 games?

Carr has never ever in almost 5 yrs seen his team win 3 games in a row, let a lone 6 or 7, with a chance to have a winning season in his first year.

However, I don't see where people are 'crucifying' Carr's game. He played with no mistakes today, which is a 'big' deal for him. He threw a td today which is nice because he had only thrown 1 in the last 7 or 8. He made a nice throw on that toss to Andre that set up the winning FG.

I think you're expecting too much from the fans after one decent game from Carr, considering how little the :homer:'s have expected from his first 5 yrs in the NFL.

JMO, but maybe--just maybe--a winning season or even just a .500 season will generate more praise for Carr.

Wolf
12-25-2006, 02:45 AM
OK. Vince put a lot of points on the board today, as he has been doing since he started--what's the Titan's winning streak now--6 or 7 games?

Carr has never ever in almost 5 yrs seen his team win 3 games in a row, let a lone 6 or 7, with a chance to have a winning season in his first year.

However, I don't see where people are 'crucifying' Carr's game. He played with no mistakes today, which is a 'big' deal for him. He threw a td today which is nice because he had only thrown 1 in the last 7 or 8. He made a nice throw on that toss to Andre that set up the winning FG.

I think you're expecting too much from the fans after one decent game from Carr, considering how little the :homer:'s have expected from his first 5 yrs in the NFL.

JMO, but maybe--just maybe--a winning season or even just a .500 season will generate more praise for Carr.

I am not expecting too much from the fans, just some reasonable evaluation is all.
but that doesn't happen

Grid
12-25-2006, 05:10 AM
I think im being pretty reasonable. I mean we ran the ball 42 times... and had alot of success doing it, that makes passing the ball alot easier. Despite that he still only had 162 yards and 16 completions.

I give him credit for not making mistakes, but im not going to sit him on a pedestal for putting up a performance that ANY NFL QB should be able to do.

Hottoddie
12-25-2006, 05:29 AM
I give him credit for not making mistakes, but im not going to sit him on a pedestal for putting up a performance that ANY NFL QB should be able to do.

And no one is asking you to. Yet, you immediately try to discredit any positives from his game by saying he stayed out of the way. You hate the man & it doesn't matter what he does, you're going to find something to slam him about. Well, that's your right & your opinion, but I disagree with your approach.

DatTexBoy
12-25-2006, 06:56 AM

Thank you, because I was about to get him...
Carr is to Vince as ground beef is to filet mignon

Mr teX
12-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Great team win, Carr did what was asked of him & made a play or two when we needed it, no matter how you guys spin it. What i really took away from this game was the play of V. Leach. that dude was plowing holes open for dayne & has been doing so since he became the starter. We definitely need him back next year & i want to see Dayne splitting carries for us next year with whomever (Davis, Taylor...............Then Lundy).:marionaner:

trublu
12-25-2006, 08:48 AM
And for you to make a statement like that shows your lack of acknowledgement (your blindness) that Carr is definitely incapable of being a franchise quaterback which is how he is being paid...not a pretty faced guy to hand the ball off to a RB...tis the reason for him to be gone

You Carr "jacker-off'ers" I will call you guys that can't see the reality of the situation...what is it that you guys see other than your man crush of him?

MAN-CRUSH??? Seems like you are the one concerned about his "pretty face". How about your man love for Vince. Love must be blind cause you can't even see that you are critizing people for exactly the same thing you are doing.:gun:

Revolution
12-25-2006, 09:26 AM
I didn't read the entire thread, because I think it is pathetic that we can't take a victory for what it is worth and enjoy it. Yes, we need to make changes in the off-season, but give me a freakin break! The first thing I heard on the radio when I got into the car was some guy worried that winning this game meant we would keep Carr.

It was Christmas Eve and we just beat the COLTs for the first time in our history and I get to hear complaints about Carr and how Indy's defense is so pathetic????

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revolution
12-25-2006, 09:34 AM
And no one is asking you to. Yet, you immediately try to discredit any positives from his game by saying he stayed out of the way. You hate the man & it doesn't matter what he does, you're going to find something to slam him about. Well, that's your right & your opinion, but I disagree with your approach.

Thank you! ITA!

touttail
12-25-2006, 12:25 PM

I totally agree, keeping Manning, Harrison, and Addai off the field won the game.
Manning and Harrison eat Petey's lunch.

bobby 119C:yahoo:

threetoedpete
12-25-2006, 12:41 PM
I didn't read the entire thread, because I think it is pathetic that we can't take a victory for what it is worth and enjoy it. Yes, we need to make changes in the off-season, but give me a freakin break! The first thing I heard on the radio when I got into the car was some guy worried that winning this game meant we would keep Carr.

It was Christmas Eve and we just beat the COLTs for the first time in our history and I get to hear complaints about Carr and how Indy's defense is so pathetic????

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice post. I owe you a rep bump. I'm over drawn at the rep bank apparently.

dantem
12-25-2006, 12:50 PM

Iaint it a b*tch when Carr plays well, you want to enjoy the win, but if you do you have to accept that Carr played a large part in it. Since you can't admit that he did you have to post something that tries to discredit the QB that just led his team to beat Peyton Manning. And by the way, as many of you that chanted Vince Young beat David Carr, It's only fair... Carr beat Manning!

Deal with it...

old football fan
12-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Isn't it interesting that 3 of our wins have come against possible playoff teams. Just enjoy the win.

Sco-tai
12-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I liked the post GRID, for the most. I disagree on the point about Carr not making plays, but dalemurphy and others have pointed that out well.

However, the title of this thread is bothersome. After years of trying to beat Manning & the colts...you BETTER BELIEVE this win has me excited.

Does this erase some of the ugly losses or the holes to fill this off-season? NOPE. But it SURE DOES HELP :D

Regardless of gifts or anything else Christmas brought...yesterday's win was the ONE thing I will remember for a LOOOOONG time!

GO TEXANS!

NOW....we just need to BEAT the mess out of the BROWNS...and go into the off-season with a GREAT VIBE!

Heck, after this win, maybe I can even turn on SPORTSRADIO 610 without wanting to puke with all the complaining many LOVE to do.

Lastly....who else here was SO EXCITED to hear the crowd filing down the exits, after the game, cheering so loud you could hear them across KIRBY as if we just scored another TD! I was waiting for the cannon to go off again! haha

Yaaaaaaaaay!!! :yahoo:

DatTexBoy
12-25-2006, 05:45 PM
MAN-CRUSH??? Seems like you are the one concerned about his "pretty face". How about your man love for Vince. Love must be blind cause you can't even see that you are critizing people for exactly the same thing you are doing.:gun:

Actually if you pay attention to what I was addressing you would understand how ludicris an earlier statement was...if everytime you put a player in a game and because he is in the game you win 6 out of 8 times...all I'm saying is I will continue putting him in the game regardless of statistics...Carr can suck as a QB but if we were winning he would hardly come up as a topic because the team is winning...we just want to start anew and get a playmaker instead of what we have been accepting...mediocrity shouldn't be accepted...Jabar Gaffney said the difference in NE is that mediocrity/failure isn't accepted but here in Houston we have been making excuses and pointing fingers and everything/body...time to start doing something about it...Capers, Casserly, and now Carr...hey if the next QB sucks...bets believe he will get ridiculed as well...heck if Vince was here for three years with Carr's "success" he will be run out of town too! I just love my team and want them to succeed, bottom line.:marionaner:

pv1999
12-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Carr has run for more yards than every back he has ever played with other than Davis who is fragile as heck.
In Franchise history we have never had a running game, now we have had a few solid looks at it but we have never had the line for a run game...ever. Our best lineman never played a down..

Carr can win here. That being said I would have went after Vince because I am tired of living in a two team city. VY would have been the excuse for the Titan fans to come on home, now he is a reason to stay with Houston's OTHER football team along with all the drama that brings. Still Carr can win here, we need to leave that alone and focus on things that are killing us like the O-line and the Secondary.

hollywood_texan
12-25-2006, 11:58 PM
This shouldn't be a surprise that the Texans beat the Colts if you take into account that the roadmap to beat the Colts was laid out midway through this season.

Getting up 14-0 in the 1st quarter just took them totally out of their gameplan and didn't give their defense to play to their strength. It actually played to the weakness of the defense.

tsip
12-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Carr has run for more yards than every back he has ever played with other than Davis who is fragile as heck.
In Franchise history we have never had a running game, now we have had a few solid looks at it but we have never had the line for a run game...ever. Our best lineman never played a down..

Carr can win here. That being said I would have went after Vince because I am tired of living in a two team city. VY would have been the excuse for the Titan fans to come on home, now he is a reason to stay with Houston's OTHER football team along with all the drama that brings. Still Carr can win here, we need to leave that alone and focus on things that are killing us like the O-line and the Secondary.

We have had a run game--ck out previous post--our run game was ranked higher in '03/'04/'05 than our passing game--over that 3 yr period, DD was one of the best in the league, even being injury prone

humbleone
12-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I think im being pretty reasonable. I mean we ran the ball 42 times... and had alot of success doing it, that makes passing the ball alot easier. Despite that he still only had 162 yards and 16 completions.

He did exactly what his coach asked him to do...and he followed that game plan almost to perfection. I have not enjoyed a game this much since the first win over Dallas.

I would have paid a lot of money to see what I saw yesterday...Peyton (cry baby) Manning walking off of the field still with his helmet on and shaking his head in disbelief.

What's next on this thread..."yeah but Kubiak had to throw that much because he does not trust Carr"...? Geez guys, please give this stuff a rest and let's just all say "way to go Texans!"

Beat the Browns into the ground! :marionaner:

Texan_Bill
12-26-2006, 10:13 AM
;) Im not trying to be a grinch, I just want to point a couple things out before people start wavering, or having second thoughts about what this team needs to do.

GRINCH!!! ;)

kenneth24
12-26-2006, 10:55 AM
First call i heard on 610 this morning complained that beating the Colts was the worst thing for the Texans because it drops our slot in the draft, Carr might still be the QB next year and Dayne might be our running back next.

Let me get this straight...A WIN IS A BAD THING?!?...What did i miss? Beating the Colts and having Peyton so upset about losing to the Texans and throwing his defense under the bus is a GOOD thing! Having the offense create running lanes for Dayne and Taylor and having Dayne and Taylor hit the holes is a GOOD thing whether its against a good defense or not. Carr executing the gameplan that was given to him is a GOOD thing. If everybody wants to get rid of Carr because he can't win, why are you complaining when he does help win the game? Carr didn't win the game yesterday, the Texans did and thats a GOOD thing!
Don't get too excited? R U KIDDING? We win a game against a possible Super Bowl team and a team that we hadn't beat in 9 previous games after the season we've had and we shouldn't be excited for everyone involved? WAY TO GO TEXANS!!:redtowel: :texan:

Double Barrel
12-26-2006, 10:59 AM
This shouldn't be a surprise that the Texans beat the Colts if you take into account that the roadmap to beat the Colts was laid out midway through this season.

Getting up 14-0 in the 1st quarter just took them totally out of their gameplan and didn't give their defense to play to their strength. It actually played to the weakness of the defense.

This is the Texans we're talking about, HT. Beating the Colts is a huge surprise considering our history and the fact that they are a good team while we are a cellar dwellar. Just because the path has been shown doesn't mean our team can always follow that same path to a victory.

I don't diminish anything our team did last Sunday. They proved to me that they have not quit the season, they have heart and pride, and it gives me something to hope for next season. It was a team victory, and they should be proud of themselves. I know I'm proud of them.

tsip
12-26-2006, 11:05 AM
"Carr has run for more yards than every back he has ever played with other than Davis who is fragile as heck."

It has not been that long ago that posters were expected to back up statements like the above, which is totally false. Fact, our 'feature' back has out rushed Carr in every year--in '06, so far, 3 backs have out rushed Carr.

Capers believed in the '1 back till he drops' theory of rotating backs, so we only had 1 back a year that out rushed David (probably contributed to DD's injury status as he was too small a back to take the pounding or was just injury prone) until '06, when Kubiak rotated the backs--even the feature back.

BattleRedToro
12-27-2006, 08:21 AM
All this losing and struggling makes it difficult to remember. But David is capable of playing very good football. He obviously will never be the difference maker at QB that Vince may become. He will never be able to carry a team like Elway, Favre, Marino, etc... However, given the right personnel around him, he can play at a very high level.

This is a common misnomer. No QB has ever been able to play at a very high level without the right personnel around them, yet players like Elway, Marino, Favre and others are constantly given credit for carrying their team, totally ignoring the contributions of the others around them, or if they are acknowledged then the supporting players's performances were inspired by the leadership ability of the QB. What a bunch bologna. As if Jerry Rice would've done nothing without Joe Montana playing QB. The QB position is the most overated position in football because he gets credit for all of the hard work that everyone else around him is doing.

as vince has become?

geeze

That is because the mighty Vince has a longer leash with these people because he was a Longhorn and he is from Houston. Unfortunately for David Carr he went to Fresno State and is from Bakersfield, so these people feel no affinity for him. I, myself am a Texans fan and as such cheer for my Texans alone.

OK. Vince put a lot of points on the board today, as he has been doing since he started

This is the Titans Offensive unit's output, including FG's, since Vince has been starting. There have certainly been games that they have scored alot of points as well as games that they have not scored alot of points.

Wk4 -14
Wk5 -13
Wk6 -23
Wk7 -Bye
Wk8 -14
Wk9 -7
Wk10 -25
Wk11 -17
Wk12 -24
Wk13 -20
Wk14 -26*
Wk15 -3
Wk16 -30

Avg -18
*- OT win

It is true that the Texans have never won 3 games in a row in the nearly 5 years of existence of the team, but the Titans winning multiple games in a row is not something that hasn't happened in the last 4 years without Vince Young.

In 2002 the Titans had a 5 game winning streak and a 6 game winning streak, and in 2003 the Titans had a 6 game winning streak and a 4 game winning streak.

All of those games were won without Vince Young, so as one can see, having long winning streaks is nothing new for this organization. After the 2003 season the Titans went through 2 years of rebuilding the team as they fell victims to injuries and the salary cap before this year's draft. They are by no means back to their position atop the division and conference as they were at the height of their previous success, but they were very much already in the process of making the necessary moves to start heading that way 2 drafts before they even picked Vince Young. I guess we should all just ignore that since none of those other players the Titans picked matter because it's all Vince Young.