PDA

View Full Version : Quaterbacks

Texansman05
12-24-2006, 02:02 AM
I was reading an article earlier about possible veteran quaterbacks that possibly come to Houston over the off season. There were the obvious names that Im sure all of us have thought of or heard about like Bledsoe, Plummer, or Garcia. But there was one name that was metioned that stuck out to me; Leftwich. What do you guys think about Leftwich or any of the other quaterback possibilities?

hot pickle
12-24-2006, 02:31 AM
i wouldnt mind leftwich for a certain price, hes not scared to take a hit while in the pocket, but i think id rather have garcia over all of them, most proven in my mind, execpt for bledsoe but he has been beat out by acouple young QB's now

Insideop
12-24-2006, 02:50 AM
i wouldnt mind leftwich for a certain price, hes not scared to take a hit while in the pocket, but i think id rather have garcia over all of them, most proven in my mind, execpt for bledsoe but he has been beat out by acouple young QB's now

That's definately one thing they will have to have on their "resume" if any of them want to come here! In my mind Bledsoe and Plummer are too old and too slow and would probably get killed here. Not sure about Garcia. Haven't seen him play much. Is he mobile? Leftwich is probably the best of this bunch, but isn't he coming off ankle/foot surgery? Unless any of these came cheap (no draft picks either), I'd pass. JMHO!

HJam72
12-24-2006, 03:25 AM
As a Texans fan, I don't like Leftwich. So, I say we let HIM play behind this line for a while. :tease:

#Ocho
12-24-2006, 07:59 AM

WOW! Tell you what, if Joe Montana was in his prime and on THIS team, I'll bet you would think the Texans would be undefeated too. Right? Oh sure, admit it.

Unbelievable.

Minotaur
12-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Leftwich may be going to the Raiders or Redskins

Number19
12-24-2006, 09:50 AM
My understanding is that Leftwich is a pocket passer. My understanding is also that Kubiak's system requires the QB to roll out and throw on the run, so Leftwich may not be a good fit.

HJam72
12-24-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm gonna laugh when another QB comes here and we still suck and all the Carr haters are making excuses for the new QB and all the Carr apologists are ripping him a new one.

Then again, no I won't. It'll still be depressing.

HomeBred_Texan
12-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm gonna laugh when another QB comes here and we still suck and all the Carr haters are making excuses for the new QB and all the Carr apologists are ripping him a new one.

Then again, no I won't. It'll still be depressing.

I was thinking the same thing... I just can't put all the blame on Carr...

TheCD
12-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm going to assume that Carr will be gone next year in answering this question. I hate to think that he will, because I think he deserves 1 more year, but that's how life goes sometimes (I don't care if you think I'm stupid for wanting to give Carr another year. He's been a favorite player of mine since the Texans started and I'll continue to support him). I won't be very happy if he leaves, but here it goes:

I like Bledsoe, always have. He's a good QB who can still play well. That being said, I will warn you of the same thing I warned everyone here when they were praising him as a savior in Dallas...he throw's a LOT of picks. That's just who he is. He puts a lot of faith in his receivers (a la Brett Favre) and makes throws that he shouldn't sometimes. He's not the most mobile QB, either...but he'll stay in the pocket and take a hit in order to make a big play. But he WILL play well and motivate the team. So, if you can live with the picks and sacks...Bledsoe may be your guy.

Jake Plummer I'm not so hot on...but I think it could be in Kubiak's best interest to bring him in on a 2-3 year contract. The two have a proven history together of winning...and while he may be out of his prime, he has all the tools that Kubiak wants in a QB to take the reins until we groom a young QB.

Leftwich I don't think would fit into our system at all. He's a tough guy...but at this point I don't think we can afford a QB who's almost certainly going to miss at least 3-4 games a year.

The best candidate on the list is Garcia, by far. And if we dump Carr I pray we can get him. Garcia is a mobile QB who excels in the West Coast Offense. He was a 5-time Pro Bowler in that system when he was with the 49ers, and is showing once again how well he can play it in Philly. He was a poor match for the Browns and Lions because he can only seemingly play the one system, but luckily, we run a West Coast Offense. Garcia isn't very prone to throwing picks, which is obviously a plus. his lifetime TD-INT ratio is 135-72 (a pick for every 1.875 TD's). Tom Brady, in contrast is 145-78 (a pick for every 1.858 TD's). So, obviously...he's up there with the best. The only time he threw more INT's than picks in a year was with the 6 games he played witht he Lions where he threw 3 TD's and 6 INT's. He would definitely be one of the best QB's that we could get...and he's obviously willing to play for a team that's not in an immediate grasp of a Super Bowl...so I think he would work out the best.

vtech9
12-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Out of that list, I would have to give my nod to Garcia, because he has the best pocket presence of anyone on that list IMHO. Garcia doesn't have as strong of an arm as the others, but he does the other little things well. I would still like to see Sage get a chance next year simply because I think he is just as capable as any of the ones that would be available.

tsip
12-24-2006, 11:22 AM
I like Leftwich but he is too injury prone....

12-24-2006, 11:24 AM
i wouldn't mind garcia.

Texansman05
12-24-2006, 12:05 PM
My understanding is that Leftwich is a pocket passer. My understanding is also that Kubiak's system requires the QB to roll out and throw on the run, so Leftwich may not be a good fit.

Ok. So wouldnt that mean that Troy Smith would be a good fit in the upcoming draft. Hes a mobile guy who can throw on the run. He maybe short, but who really cares? So is Drew Brees and look what hes done this season. I think its more about the intangibilles, and I think Troy Smith has them. Hes a winner.

Cgold
12-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Ive got a QB idea....CARR and a solid team around him, we will be alright!!