PDA

View Full Version : That's garbage...

the wonger need food
12-22-2006, 06:21 PM
N.D. Kalu has sealed his fate as a Houston Texan. He was quoted saying a few negative things about the team....

"Our leading sacker has five sacks. That's garbage," said Kalu, a defenisve end with two sacks. "We haven't done (anything) all year. We need to finally take it personally. (Coach Gary) Kubiak has been so cool to us, and he's been sugarcoating it, but we haven't been doing our job, and it's obvious from our stats."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4420258.html

As we know, players that step up and make negative statements about the team usually get cut. Mr. McNair will not stand for this negativity no matter how truthful and accurate the statements are. Nice knowing ya N.D.

brewhaus
12-22-2006, 06:24 PM
N.D. hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire this year. I suppose he'll be playing an "active" rule in next seasons "Culture Change", won't he?

Porky
12-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Well if he goes because of this, so does Richard Smith who was praising him for the comments. From my perspective - it's about time.

hot pickle
12-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Kalu has been one of the better Ends, if he gets cut because of his truthful comments, it would be the stupidest thing, those comments might make this team better, kubiak and co. need to listen to the players and want they need on the team to get better, but i will agree with N.D. in a 4-3 system and the sack leader has 5 sacks it is garbage,

and if McNair gets pissed off and can't handle the truth he shouldnt be the owner of the team, i dunno if im the only one but i really dont like mr. mcnair

wicked_wayz
12-22-2006, 06:34 PM
kalu speaks nothing but the truth here

threetoedpete
12-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Just me...but I thought that was what the leaders of the team were supposed to do. Call guys out when things weren't going well. Actually, I kinda thought it was refreshing and something that should of been stated many games ago. I appreciate the grey beards and the contribution that they've made this year. I saw nothing wrong in Kalu's standing up and saying the Emperior has no clothes on. I bet Kubiak doesn't either. Kubes is poking at the cadaver and seeing if there's any parts are salvagable for next season. Kalu is in my keeper pile. Just me.

Double Barrel
12-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Well if he goes because of this, so does Richard Smith who was praising him for the comments. From my perspective - it's about time.

If only it was that easy to get rid of Richard Smith.

rockabilly
12-22-2006, 06:50 PM
I dont see anything wrong with the non usual "we just gotta keep working hard" crap.

Porky
12-22-2006, 06:51 PM
If only it was that easy to get rid of Richard Smith.

Now now DB. Settle down. After the first 3 games, I think Smith has done a bang up job. You could argue one or two points, but in general I think he has done more than enough to retain his DC position imo. :stirpot:

cuppacoffee
12-22-2006, 08:00 PM
N.D. Kalu has sealed his fate as a Houston Texan. He was quoted saying a few negative things about the team....

"Our leading sacker has five sacks. That's garbage," said Kalu, a defenisve end with two sacks. "We haven't done (anything) all year. We need to finally take it personally. (Coach Gary) Kubiak has been so cool to us, and he's been sugarcoating it, but we haven't been doing our job, and it's obvious from our stats."

As we know, players that step up and make negative statements about the team usually get cut. Mr. McNair will not stand for this negativity no matter how truthful and accurate the statements are. Nice knowing ya N.D.

:yawn:

DenverBorn
12-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Think maybe he doesn't want to be a Houston Texan?

hot pickle
12-22-2006, 08:16 PM
he wants to get payed and win some games and gets some sacks, i dont think he cares what team he plays for

RTP2110
12-22-2006, 10:04 PM
I agree with im 100%. I don't think he's out o fline at all. Every player in the front seven should be upset that the leading sacker has only 5.

old football fan
12-22-2006, 10:19 PM
I think he called everybody out including himself, and I don't believe McNair makes the cuts.:hides:

FILO_girl
12-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Gee N.D., spouting your disappointment to the media doesn't work in your favor in this organization.

Ask Jamie Sharper.

Yes, I am still holding a grudge. :mad:

Vinny
12-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Too bad we don't have any 1st round draft picks invested in the line...

...oh wait a minute, Jason Babin, Travis Johnson, and Mario Williams are all 1st round picks.

Vinny
12-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Gee N.D., spouting your disappointment to the media doesn't work in your favor in this organization.

Ask Jamie Sharper.

Yes, I am still holding a grudge. :mad:Jamie didn't do anything once he left here. I don't even think he is in the NFL anymore.

Buffi2
12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Jamie didn't do anything once he left here. I don't even think he is in the NFL anymore.

Correct you are. Went to Seattle last year but was cut and no one picked him up this year.

FILO_girl
12-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Jamie didn't do anything once he left here. I don't even think he is in the NFL anymore.
Dunno what he us up to now. No matter, he was let go here for circumstances I think were bunk. The knee had nothing to do with it. Independent thinking is not encouraged here.

NO leadership since Jamie and Aaron Glenn were 'let go'. We haven't done much since THEY left here.

Second Honeymoon
12-22-2006, 10:44 PM

ND Kalu is a real football player who doesn't like to lose. We need more of those kind of guys. He isn't used to this atmosphere coming from a team like the Eagles and hopefully this will help stop making the Texans locker room Club Med without the sand.

If Kalu is let go because he is saying the team is underachieving then what kind of player does McNair want? Does he want guys who seem to be content with losing game after game? Football is an emotional and physical game. If your heart isn't into it, it shows both on the field and scoreboard. Kubiak needs to stop making excuses and start making decisions.

Double Barrel
12-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Now now DB. Settle down. After the first 3 games, I think Smith has done a bang up job. You could argue one or two points, but in general I think he has done more than enough to retain his DC position imo. :stirpot:

"Our leading sacker has five sacks. That's garbage," said Kalu,"We haven't done (anything) all year. We need to finally take it personally. (Coach Gary) Kubiak has been so cool to us, and he's been sugarcoating it, but we haven't been doing our job, and it's obvious from our stats."

Hey, man, who am I to disagree with one of our defensive players? idonno:

And Smith blew two games outright with bad calls: the Bills and Titans games at the ends. This is his defense, and while they've showed signs here and there, in the end it sucks just like the rest of the team.

If a QB can be held as responsible for things, then our defensive coordinator should be held to the same standards, IMO.

Kalu is spot on, and it's good to hear players being honest and upset about things. It's a sign of leadership. He's not throwing anyone under the bus, but saying that they're all responsible for where they're at right now. If the FO has learned anything, they'd better learn to keep leaders to help build team character.

Goldeagle
12-22-2006, 11:03 PM
I like the comment

mexican_texan
12-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Kalu has been better than anything I expected this year. However, the team hasn't played like garbage all year, there were stretches where our team played great defense, except when it truly counted.

Roughnecks
12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I do not see anything wrong with what he said. It seems to me that he is taken responsibility for their actions or lack there of and has a great respect for Coach Kubes by saying he has sugarcoated it as to to pressure of them for their lack of play. I think it was a stand up move and more players should do the same if any thing it would at lease let us know that they are tired of it there self and not happy just losing close to good teams. I even was glad to hear what Carr said after the Pats game saying he is tired of this every week. Now lets not start a Carr bash retort I am just saying more and more of these guys are finally stepping up and taken a stand for their poor play and ready for it to stop.

Roughnecks
12-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Kalu has been better than anything I expected this year. However, the team hasn't played like garbage all year, there were stretches where our team played great defense, except when it truly counted.

What gets me is the offense played good to start the season the defense did not and when the defense started playing the offense forgot how injuries aside it's like a trip to the twilight zone.

Goldeagle
12-22-2006, 11:13 PM
What gets me is the offense played good to start the season the defense did not and when the defense started playing the offense forgot how injuries aside it's like a trip to the twilight zone.

NO doubt man!

infantrycak
12-23-2006, 12:25 AM

Dude was obviously banging the players, not the coaches. But keep up the hate wongering.

big sarge
12-23-2006, 02:50 AM
IF THERE IS ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT BEING A LEADER IS TO BE ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS, AND THIS MAN SEEMS TO BE UPSET AT THE LACK OF EFFORT, AND LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID IF PASSION FOR THE GAME MAKES YOU TELL THE TRUTH THEN IT PROBABLY NEEDED TO BE SAID. AS FAR AS THE COACHES STANDPOINT. I ALWAYS HEAR FROM MY SOLDIERS THAT I AM THE BEST SQUAD LEADER IN MY COMPANY, BUT WHEN WE WERE IN IRAQ THEY ALL PISSED ME OFF AND THEIR PERFORMANCE DROPPED SO I HAD A ONE-WAY CONVERSATION WITH ALL 6 OF THEM AT ONCE. I ASKED THEM IN A NOT SO NICE VOICE IF THEY REALLY THOUGHT I WAS THE BEST SQUAD LEADER IN THE COMPANY?? THEY SAID YES. SO I TOLD THEM THAT WAS BS BECAUSE IF THEY REALLY THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD BE DOING THE RIGHT THING. SO IF THE TEXANS REALLY THINK KUBIAK IS AN AWESOME COACH THEN THEY SHOULD PLAY THEIR FREAKIN HEARTS OUT WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT. WE HAVE A SAYING IN THE ARMY..."TRAIN AS YOU FIGHT" WELL THE FREQUENCY AND INTENSITY SHOULD BE THERE DURING PRACTICE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS FEAT. IMO KUBIAK SHOULD LAY DOWN THE LAW AFTER THAT STATEMENT BY ONE OF HIS PLAYERS, HE SHOULD DIG A MILE LONG TUNNEL UP HIS D-COACHES REAREND. PERFORMANCE IS ONLY MAINTAINED OR HIGHTENED BY MOTIVATION. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR LEADERSHIP AND PROFESIONALISM AND RIGHT NOW I THINK THE TEXANS LACK BOTH.:stirpot:

Marcus
12-23-2006, 07:08 AM
"Our leading sacker has five sacks. That's garbage," said Kalu, "We haven't done (anything) all year. We need to finally take it personally. (Coach Gary) Kubiak has been so cool to us, and he's been sugarcoating it, but we haven't been doing our job, and it's obvious from our stats."

Hey, man, who am I to disagree with one of our defensive players? idonno:

And Smith blew two games outright with bad calls: the Bills and Titans games at the ends. This is his defense, and while they've showed signs here and there, in the end it sucks just like the rest of the team.

If a QB can be held as responsible for things, then our defensive coordinator should be held to the same standards, IMO.

Kalu is spot on, and it's good to hear players being honest and upset about things. It's a sign of leadership. He's not throwing anyone under the bus, but saying that they're all responsible for where they're at right now. If the FO has learned anything, they'd better learn to keep leaders to help build team character.

:um: Tell me again why you're throwing Richard Smith under the bus. I don't get your point.

Defensive coordinator Richard Smith is starting to see another critical component improve veteran leadership.

"I like that (Kalu) spoke up," Smith said. "He wasn't talking to the public. He was talking to his teammates. And it's nice to see that from a veteran player.

"When I was with the 49ers, we won our division and went to the NFC championship. We had the No. 1 defense in the NFL. Players ran that ship. We just steered the boat. The players had a very competitive nature and were leaders. That will develop here."

Dude was obviously banging the players, not the coaches. But keep up the hate wongering.

Yeah, funny thing about hate "wongering" :cute:, it sure makes it easy to habitually take statements out of context. A lot of that going on here lately.:(

whiskeyrbl
12-23-2006, 07:18 AM

Yeah Kinda like when our running game works we can't pass, or visa-versa. very strange.

thunderkyss
12-23-2006, 07:28 AM

I understand that injuries are a part of football.... every team has them, every team has to deal with them.

But our good defensive game came just before changes that turned the opposing franchise around. We haven't played well against good offenses.

brewhaus
12-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Kalu is in my keeper pile.

Does Kalu have any sacks?

I would like to see N.D. and all of his team mates do their talking on the field....what they say to the media at this point is BS and "self serving" IMO.

Buffi2
12-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Does Kalu have any sacks?

2 sacks

ND is a smart veteran who has been around for awhile. We need guys like him on this team. We get rid of too many vets who can be mentors and leaders to the young guys.

I'm prejudiced since he is my adopted Texan.

A Texan
12-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I don't think you could say the offense outplayed the defense at any point. The 1st game the offense just scored 10 points. One thing that made the defense so bad at the start was they were switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3. I really didn't expect much out of the defense this year for that reason. At least they have improved. They are being kept on the field too much because the offense can't hold on to the ball. More sacks definitely would help though.

eriadoc
12-23-2006, 02:16 PM
"(Coach Gary) Kubiak has been so cool to us, and he's been sugarcoating it, but we haven't been doing our job, and it's obvious from our stats."

Someone needs to explain to Mr. Kalu that stats are for losers ;)

johnboy
12-23-2006, 03:05 PM
kalu speaks nothing but the truth here

The truth is Babin has more sacks than anyone,but plays one-third of the time.

brewhaus
12-23-2006, 04:31 PM
2 sacks

ND is a smart veteran who has been around for awhile. We need guys like him on this team. We get rid of too many vets who can be mentors and leaders to the young guys.

I'm prejudiced since he is my adopted Texan.

Well alright! I'm all for having vets on the team also. The Texans need mentors. But I still think the players should do their talking on the field. Hopefully N.D. can show Mario how to get another sack on Sunday.

ryansisgod
12-23-2006, 05:55 PM
we need kalu and weaver here for as long as possible, they bring in veteran leadership, even if they become just depth guys in the future. they are goin to be an important part of the "culture change". howvere we need to get rid of some people like seth payne and travis johnson. maybe trade johson for a 4th rounder.

Andrew6
12-23-2006, 06:09 PM
wow lot of great posts, lots of heart in these posts. as far as ND's comment. I hope it pisses everyone off and makes everyone play harder and we pull a very upsetting victory over the colts.

Texans vs. Colts tickets 200 dollars
Parking pass 40 dollars
Food 40 dollars

Win against the colts at home
impossible I mean priceless

jgl35
12-23-2006, 07:45 PM
May be N.D. sees guys not paying attention in meeting and not taking the play book/game plan home to study. Just a thought.

kenneth24
12-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Now, now Wonger...have no fear about ND being cut...he criticized the DEFENSE and not the golden boy! :sarcasm: (I know you were thinking it! :neener: :shades: )

Nice seeing him taking the blame and looking in the mirror at himself and the defense to take some of the heat off Carr and the offense. Honestly, I feel the defense has improved as the season has gone on but at times seems to have some major breakdowns in the secondary either due to a lack of coverage or lack of pressure on the QB. Of course, he could just be stepping up to stir up some controversy to take away some of the heat off of David and the offense.