PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so down on Greenwood?

gtexan02
12-22-2006, 05:18 PM
On a team where we have almost zero talent, I would think Greenwood would be someone people like.

The coaches speak highly of him, he's got consistency down, and he comes up with big plays when he can.

Sure his cap number is too big, but if we don't save much by cutting him, why sacrifice another position?

AndreRulz
12-22-2006, 05:20 PM
On a team where we have almost zero talent, I would think Greenwood would be someone people like.

The coaches speak highly of him, he's got consistency down, and he comes up with big plays when he can.

Sure his cap number is too big, but if we don't save much by cutting him, why sacrifice another position?

I am not down on him.
he just is getting overpaided.

Vinny
12-22-2006, 05:21 PM
If you like mediocre players...he's your man.

beerlover
12-22-2006, 05:23 PM
If you like mediocre players...he's your man.

mediocrity breeds.....well.....mediocrity :secret:

Sarg01
12-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Greenwood's shown some improvement this year. I still wouldn't call him anything other than "passable", but it's been enough that I wouldn't be pissed if we fixed the other OLB spot instead of his.

thunderkyss
12-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Greenwood has shown some improvements.... he's playing better than he did last year.

But he still gives up too many big plays.....

Texan_Bill
12-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm not down on Greenwood. He is what he is... Unfortunately, thats average at best, who will occasionally make a play.

Insideop
12-22-2006, 06:00 PM

I think he is a steady (not flashy) player with some solid stats this year. I don't agree with most people on this MB that say we need to get rid of him now. He's not that bad and we have way too many other holes on this team to fill. JMHO!

Texan_Bill
12-22-2006, 06:05 PM
I think he is a steady (not flashy) player with some solid stats this year. I don't agree with most people on this MB that say we need to get rid of him now. He's not that bad and we have way too many other holes on this team to fill. JMHO!

Is he serviceable? Yes... Could we focus our attention on DB's? Yes. However, if you have a chance to upgrade at that position, we should go for it.

dbspi
12-23-2006, 02:12 AM

We are paying him top dollars (elite level) and we had expected him to be top 5 OLB in the league which to this point he has not been. Its time to dump him and sign some one like Briggs and A.Thomas who are elite level OLB.

phan1
12-23-2006, 02:20 AM
It's also what he represents as a player. He's the guy that came in to fill Jamie Shaper's shoes and one of the big off-season acquisitions that started this whole mess we call the Houston Texans. Now he's obviously not the main reasons we suck, but when people say "where did we go wrong", I think it started with getting rid of Glenn and Sharper and bringing in guys like Greenwood.

edo783
12-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Top level pay....mid level play.

TEXANS84
12-23-2006, 01:03 PM
He reminds me of another #56. Ahhh....good ol' Jay Foreman.

Minotaur
12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
IMO, he does better at MLB, where he excelled while with the Dolphins

Texan_Bill
12-23-2006, 01:19 PM
He reminds me of another #56. Ahhh....good ol' Jay Foreman.

LOL... I see where you are going with that, but I would put Greenwood a notch (a small notch) above Foreman....

Sarg01
12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
The cap savings is slightly negative if we were to release Greenwood this year. As long as he's better than the #50 guy on our roster, cutting him outright is crazy.

Next year, however, is a wholly different story. I vote for upgrading the Orr/Wong spot this year and worrying about Greenwood's next. Orr is an RFA this year, but I don't believe he was drafted, so we can put the low tender on him and another team can beat it if they want.

ensign_lee
12-23-2006, 01:38 PM
IMO, he does better at MLB, where he excelled while with the Dolphins

Uh...no he wasn't. I was definitely an OLB at Miami. Then we tried to make him a MLB in the 3-4. Then we moved him back to OLB in our new 4-3.

yourfavoritetexan42
12-23-2006, 01:39 PM
If we can get another OLB to play opposite of him... who is a good solid player...then he will be alright in are starting rotation. For example, if we brought in Briggs from Chicago... Greenwood Ryans Briggs would look very attractive to me =D. But say we got someone who is a small upgrade of greenwood to play opposite...then I would like to see another small upgrade replace him...but he can succeed when good talent is around him. You see that a lot in football. ESPECIALLY on defense...and people don't realize that. On my high school team we have the best d line in the state... but it looks like we have the best linebackers in the state because they never get blocked! Which means that our DBs (what I play) can make huge plays becuase the opposing quarterback makes stupid throws that we can capitalize on because of the awesome pass rush.

Thats why Urlacher... I mean don't get me wrong he is good... but he will be the first one to tell you... Tommie Harris is one of his best friends and he definately will be giving him something for christmas :)